Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Sagebrush posted:

I have a TWSBI with an italic nib and it's a little dry. Requires some pressure to write well. (Using Heart of Darkness, which is fine in all my other pens). How can I make it wetter?

You can try to widen the tines a bit under a loupe to increase flow for dry FPs. Also flushing it out can help too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Hey guys, listen! Diamine Carnival Red is not waterproof! DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT bump into your fill glass of water you keep at your desk to hydrate yourself. (this is why smart people have waterbottles)

This is after drying and damage control, the surrounding pages have wonderful red stripes all over the place.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
Oh sure. Diamine is so far from waterproof I'm surprised that I can even use it, living in as humid a climate as I do.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Waterproof fountain pen ink is much less common than non-waterproof inks because most of the standard additives to make ink waterproof (like shellac) will ruin a fountain pen.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
I finally found my Lamy Safari and flushed it out. I learned that there is a huge difference between a Lamy fine nub and a Pilot fine. Holy crap.

I also learned how much smoother the Metro with Iroshizuku feels than the Safari with Noodler's Bulletproof Black.

What an exciting day of learning today has been.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
How can I rapidly and efficiently test a bunch of ink samples with a pilot metro, or with a Hero 616 for that matter? I figured I'd just try them with the Heroes, but they have a hard time slurping up so little ink. I got a syringe, so I was figuring as soon as I finish off my first Metro cartridge, I'll just start injecting the samples into them.

Also, my wife pointed out that massdrop has Faber-Castell Ambition fountain pens for $55 for another day, but it looks like that price is pretty normal.

Edit: Actually, massdrop seems like a real evil place for fountain pen people. They have a thing also going on for 5 30mL containers of Diamine ink. You pick the colors. That actually looks like a good price and gives more ink than a vial sample to try stuff out. They also have Rhodia webnotebooks for a little less than the normal price, from what I can tell.

Rocko Bonaparte fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Feb 13, 2016

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I switched from a syringe to disposable plastic pipettes; you can get a pack of 100 in the 3mL size for like $4 or less on Amazon and can clean them out pretty easy and just toss them as they get too dirty and stained up (or if you're too lazy to rinse them which I am sometimes). They fit into Pilot cartridges just fine to do refills, dunno about anything smaller than that but that's mostly what I have anyway.

I dropped the needle out of one my ink syringes down the sink drain at work :cripes: and after that decided I didn't really like having needles in my desk anyway, even though they're blunted.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

How can I rapidly and efficiently test a bunch of ink samples with a pilot metro, or with a Hero 616 for that matter? I figured I'd just try them with the Heroes, but they have a hard time slurping up so little ink. I got a syringe, so I was figuring as soon as I finish off my first Metro cartridge, I'll just start injecting the samples into them.

Just dip it. The color'll be close enough to if it had come out of a converter, and if you saturate the feed well enough, you'll have about a page of ink there to play with (probably). This'll work far better with the metro than the heroes, incidentally. So just get the whole nib in the ink, then maybe run the top of the nib/back of the feed on the side of the vial. Otherwise, you'll probably end up with a gross blot instead of whatever you meant to write. Obviously, if you do this, you don't really want to try and dry everything off nicely with a tissue or whatever, since that'll mostly defeat the purpose.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Edit: Actually, massdrop seems like a real evil place for fountain pen people.

I have seven bottles of ink due to arrive from Massdrop in the next month, so you ain't lying.

Hopefully that, plus the three bottles I have coming in from Penchalet, and what I already own...forty-three bottles of ink is enough right? :ohdear:

grack
Jan 10, 2012

That reminds me I need to get some Kon-Peki

Or maybe some more R+K

Dammit

Also the Visconti Blue I bought is way, way darker than it should be.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

grack posted:

That reminds me I need to get some Kon-Peki

Or maybe some more R+K

Christ, Grack, you should know better.

Buy both.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

My Man Shran posted:

Christ, Grack, you should know better.

Buy both.

Right what happens when they stop making fp ink wheres your stockpile?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

grack posted:

Or maybe some more R+K

This reminds me that Solferino is a dope purple and I should use it in a pen soon.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

I am so happy, you guys make me feel normal.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

Regarding the Massdrop for Diamine 30mls, it is literally cheaper to buy them directly from Diamine, even with UK-to-US shipping. For five 30ml bottles, it'll run you around $30.50, compared to $32.18 from Massdrop - and Diamine will throw a 5ml sample in, to boot. If you only get 4 bottles? Shipping gets chopped in half, and you get away clean for around $20, and you still get the free 5ml sample.

Seriously, Massdrop is kinda cool for some stuff, but you really need to price shop before you commit to a buy, especially given how long most drops take to actually get to you. For me, usually the $5 or $10 I save buying from Massdrop isn't worth the month (or more) I wait to get it.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

It's really important to compare prices before ordering from Massdrop. Some of their offers are good deals and some just aren't.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Also not sure if you've all been following the shitfit on FPN this past week.

http://www.peneconomics.com/blog/2016/2/14/the-craven-submission-of-the-fountain-pen-network

Short version: some regular customers of Montblanc were told by their sales assistants information about pens in the pipeline. They shared it on FPN. Montblanc didn't like this and told FPN to delete all of it. FPN rolled over and deleted all of it.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Quit gettin mad at videogames fountainpens.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Massdrop was dope for the J. Herbin anniversary inks since they were selling out so fast at normal stores. Also one time I ordered a Falcon and they hosed up and sent me a VP, which they let me keep for free.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Kessel posted:

Also not sure if you've all been following the shitfit on FPN this past week.

http://www.peneconomics.com/blog/2016/2/14/the-craven-submission-of-the-fountain-pen-network

Short version: some regular customers of Montblanc were told by their sales assistants information about pens in the pipeline. They shared it on FPN. Montblanc didn't like this and told FPN to delete all of it. FPN rolled over and deleted all of it.

:laffo:gently caress montblanc

grack
Jan 10, 2012

I have the sudden urge to buy the ugliest, nastiest fake Montblanc I can find.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

grack posted:

$10 per pound

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
i care deeply about ethics in fountain pen journalism

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Soricidus posted:

i care deeply about ethics in fountain pen journalism

fountaingate

penwater

grack
Jan 10, 2012

blowfish posted:

$10 per pound

Ugliest, nastiest fake Montblanc without a large amount of lead in the body.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

it's particularly funny because discussion about upcoming products (unless it's totally negative, which it wasn't) creates buzz. but obviously Montblanc doesn't want any of that sweet, sweet viral marketing

Kessel fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Feb 16, 2016

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

grack posted:

Maybe I posted a link above but alibaba is the place to be!

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Kessel posted:

it's particularly funny because discussion about upcoming products (unless it's totally negative, which it wasn't) creates buzz. but obviously Montblanc doesn't want any of that sweet, sweet viral marketing

We are ze klassical Germanic luxury company Montblanc. We are very serious and completely against dirtying ze company image wiz newfangled viral marketing. Our product launch must be a majestic event zat also strokes ze ego of ze nouveau riche like it's 1990.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Reminder that Montblanc until about a year ago tried to stem the tide by refusing to work with online retailers that wanted to put Montblanc pens in their online shops with a price and "add to cart'" button like normal off-the-shelf stationery for mere mortals :agesilaus:

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

If I was a dirty 1%-er, I'd find that obnoxious and find another luxury goods brand to spend extravagantly on.

Then I'd have a Chevy symbol grafted on to it so I can maintain that I'm actually a hardworking man of the people and then run for president as a Republican.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

I hope that some day I'll be worthy enough to purchase a Montblanc of my very own.

Until then I guess I'll have to settle for a Monbanc Tarstalker off of Aliexpress :unsmigghh:

The_Angry_Turtle
Aug 2, 2007

BLARGH
With all the niche pen makers out there it seems boring to get a Montblanc.

Spook
Feb 25, 2002

Silence of the MOTHERFUCKING LAMBS!!

The_Angry_Turtle posted:

With all the niche pen makers out there it seems boring to get a Montblanc.

seriously, some of the most boring or most obnoxious pens I have seen.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Their quality control vs price isn't very good either. Buy something else.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Montblanc starwalkers have surprisingly good nibs to the point where I'd actually recommend them over other premium pens, but you should get them on ebay for 1/3 of the regular price and not in a Montblanc boutique.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I just reused a Pilot Metro cartridge by filling it with a sample of Noodler's Antietam. First, those cartridges really don't hold much, do they? My sample vial could probably fill 5 cartridges or more.

Second, this ink really is morbid. I filled out some medical paperwork with it. Then I saw the a bloody tissue in the trash and wondered how that happened. It had been from cleaning up and dabbing the pen to get the water out after refilling. I realized I just filled out a New Patient form with something that looks like dried blood.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Antietam is dope like that :unsmigghh:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Antietam

morbid

dried blood.

quote:

It is the bloodiest single-day battle in American history, with a combined tally of dead, wounded, and missing at 22,717

Hmm

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I just reused a Pilot Metro cartridge by filling it with a sample of Noodler's Antietam. First, those cartridges really don't hold much, do they? My sample vial could probably fill 5 cartridges or more.

Yeah, they're only like 1 mL. But A) that's more than any converter that fits in your Metro and B) you should get 8-12 full pages of writing out of one fill.

As an aside, my wife asked me if I'd cut myself shaving after I cleaned the Nikita out of my pen in the bathroom sink and missed a few drops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

blowfish posted:

Montblanc starwalkers have surprisingly good nibs to the point where I'd actually recommend them over other premium pens, but you should get them on ebay for 1/3 of the regular price and not in a Montblanc boutique.

Given the prices on Mont Blanc pens the nibs better be spectacular, regardless of where they're purchased.