Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

LingcodKilla posted:

Put some trigger warnings on the hands in the pockets.

He is retrieving an item from his pocket which is authorized shore-mate; additionally, I am more concerned if the cosplayer has chosen white socks to properly cos-play the real world event.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

Ron Jeremy posted:

Usna will commission a 2.0. All they can tell him is no. Apply for that poo poo.

USNA is a 4-year institution where all you have to do is show up, not get in trouble, pass (keyword: pass) your classes and you'll get a commission.

OCS already requires you to have a 4-year degree, so that's a really quick way to weed people out (i.e. having a lovely GPA).

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
1 year, 5 months

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Sir Lucius posted:

1 year, 5 months

2 years, 3 months. That doesn't account for terminal leave though.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
-4 years 5 months. Suck my butt idiots

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

4 years, 8 months. Maybe longer. We'll see what happens. NC's love the Navy more than you, so nbd.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
Got my dd214 two weeks ago, suck it navy slaves.

I start reserve drilling in three weeks.

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE
91 Days.

germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!
So if a sailor has a medical appointment and an all hands call, which are they obligated to go to? Medical, right? Is there an actual instruction for that?

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Yea, who actually goes to all hands calls?

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I'd send them to medical and then make it understood that I made the decision on it.

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

germskr posted:

So if a sailor has a medical appointment and an all hands call, which are they obligated to go to? Medical, right? Is there an actual instruction for that?

Medical all the way. You don't want your command to get marked as having a high missed appointment percentage, then NAVMED makes angry phone calls and emails. Honestly though, if this is a weekly all hands thing, and not a sudden one then he shouldn't of scheduled it for that time frame.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Fart Sandwiches posted:

-4 years 5 months. Suck my butt idiots

2 more years

for out for 20

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
CFL helping run FEP trip report - nobody e7 or above is on FEP really makes you think

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

maffew buildings posted:

CFL helping run FEP trip report - nobody e7 or above is on FEP really makes you think

T-Shirt commodore's predecessor pissed off a bunch of skippers on the waterfront because he showed at various ships in the squadron, had an impromptu weigh in of khakis, and loving crushed anyone that failed. Ultimately killed the career of one of the department heads on my last ship.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Mr. Nice! posted:

T-Shirt commodore's predecessor pissed off a bunch of skippers on the waterfront because he showed at various ships in the squadron, had an impromptu weigh in of khakis, and loving crushed anyone that failed. Ultimately killed the career of one of the department heads on my last ship.

I unironically think this owns

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I agree that it was cool and good.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Tape all khakis

My phone wanted to correct tape to rape, probably should've rolled with it

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

I agree that it was cool and good.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Haha are you guys kidding me medical supersedes ALL no matter what

I mean yeah your command can bulldog you and lie to you and threaten you but that's on you whether it's worth it to ruffle feathers and blow the whistle etc

That said don't be that guy that schedules appointments to get out of poo poo thus putting more work on your coworkers (all hands call def doesn't apply here)

germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!
That's what I thought but the dumbass E6's in charge made him go to the surprise all hands call. Oh well, I tried to help so I did my job.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

yeah I mean I didn't really understand that concept until 3-4 years in

Hoo-yah Chiefs

:chiefsay:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

At my scummy civilian job we are so short handed they guilt tripped some dude to coming into work when he called off and had a heart attack in the locker room and needs a triple bypass now.

Kinda happy for him it happened on the job.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Sir Lucius posted:

Yea, who actually goes to all hands calls?

People too dumb to skate out of it and try-hards.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Ya some people use it as a way to ask rhetorical questions so they can brown nose "chief said we had to ask questions!"

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

vulturesrow posted:

People too dumb to skate out of it and try-hards.

One time me and two guys skated out of an all hands call (45 minutes away at our main command) with the excuse we had a deadline on some work. Instead we played mine craft on our hacked server in our air gapped ts development network. After a bit we decided to actually get some work done and ended up getting really into it when we noticed it was 2 in the afternoon and no one had come back yet. Making a few phone calls revealed the CO ropeyarned everyone at 945 and we weren't told.

Skated so hard we looped back around to doing actual work.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Let everyone leave. Read the context and infer what the word you don't know means, or use Google to find the answer.

germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!

Fart Sandwiches posted:

One time me and two guys skated out of an all hands call (45 minutes away at our main command) with the excuse we had a deadline on some work. Instead we played mine craft on our hacked server in our air gapped ts development network. After a bit we decided to actually get some work done and ended up getting really into it when we noticed it was 2 in the afternoon and no one had come back yet. Making a few phone calls revealed the CO ropeyarned everyone at 945 and we weren't told.

Skated so hard we looped back around to doing actual work.

This is almost as good as when the chief's mess comes around asking for a volunteer only to cut loose said volunteer. Sometimes, you find a carrot in all that poo poo.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Tokyo Sexwhale posted:

Let everyone leave. Read the context and infer what the word you don't know means, or use Google to find the answer.

Google told me it was a reference to sailors making/mending clothes and sails, but I managed to piece together that's not what he meant. And context could've been anything from "let everyone go" to "FOD walk on the interstate."

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

In ye old days when at sea you makes and mended on your own time so it may be in relation to that.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
So I've spent about 30 something hours trying to get home for leave and the airline gave me a letter saying they're sorry for turning a two hour plane ride to two days or something and they told me I can give it to my command. Is it going to give me a leave day back or something?

germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!
Generally speaking, no. Your chain might be nice though.

My old command sent a guy up for being "UA" when he didn't show up from his leave due to flight delays/cancellation. He went to some cold, snowy state and the highers argued he should have factored that in to his ticket-buying process. It ended up getting thrown out for being incredibly stupid.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Well you submitted e-leave so your leave ends at that same time/day regardless. They'll still mark you on the morning muster because you're accounted for. So unless chief really hates you and goes and changes the e-leave I can't imagine anyone charging an extra day

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Talk to your loving chain of command on this, don't not tell them, and if they tell you to report as ordered upon the end of your requested leave date, you'd best be there or make an effort to be there.

Odds are good that you're SOL on your leave time spent in travel if it was in transit to your leave location, but it's up to your command. I spent 5 days trapped in Philadelphia airport trying to come back from leave, because I contacted my chain and informed them of incoming bad weather and was instructed to report as ordered, but thankfully I was in contact with my LPO and LCPO the entire time, so no harm no foul and they phone mustered me each day as "accounted for".

orange juche fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Feb 17, 2016

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

wait I can only assume he has talked to his COC 5x over, right?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

wait I can only assume he has talked to his COC 5x over, right?

Dudes reporting to his first command, so odds are the only point of contact he has is his sponsor, and that may not even be a valid contact depending on whether his gaining command gives a gently caress. If he just takes x+2 days past his report by date though, without contacting his command somehow, they won't hesitate to wreck his poo poo for not telling them.

E: boot, don't leave your sponsor a voicemail about it, call them and get them on the phone and inform them, and if that doesn't work, contact your commands quarterdeck and get in touch that way.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
No, I'm coming from my command. I'm taking leave to visit family because I didn't get to go home during POM because of reasons and I spent my first day of leave at an airport. There's no problem trying to get back to my ship (yet). I was just wondering if this letter would actually do anything for me when I get back next week.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Ask your command now and maybe they will work something out, I've never gotten reimbursed days for extra travel on the way out from the command to a leave location though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Tokyo Sexwhale posted:

Ask your command now and maybe they will work something out, I've never gotten reimbursed days for extra travel on the way out from the command to a leave location though.

Sure thing. I'm not too worried about it but I got a pretty cool Chief so we'll see.

Sorry for not being more clear.

• Locked thread