Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Zeroisanumber posted:

I never wanted to be on his team, I wanted to ideologically destroy him. What the gently caress is wrong with lawyers?

As a lawyer usually you don't pick which side you represent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Scalia's only good thing was that he didn't couch his bigotry in legal jargon.
I swear I heard something about him coming down on lawyers for being too "chummy" or whatever by using contractions.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

You can say pretty much the same thing about any horrible, yet competent person. I'm not sure why some people want to keep pointing out that Scalia was good at being so awful like it's some kind of positive quality and we are losing anything of real substance (beyond legal navel gazing) with his removal from the bench.

Like if we get more rights for minorities, no union busting, and cleaner air but it's at the cost of his brilliant legal prose and assholish yet sick burns at people he considers idiots in his dissents I think we don't have to really act that it's such a terrible thing.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Feb 17, 2016

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Scalia was Rush Limbaugh in a robe.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

computer parts posted:

Your options are:

- Introduce a recall measure for Justices you don't like (this already exists and has been a political shitfest since it was introduced)

- Allow a significant but finite term for Justices (this preserves the idea of Justices being disconnected with the political climate of the time, but still can result in "random chance" loving up the system).

- Allow the public to directly elect Justices, for whatever term you want (this is not popular, for reasons you might guess)

The 18 year terms thing is a really good idea, each President gets exactly 2 SCOTUS picks and 18 years is plenty long enough. I would also implement some mechanism to prevent vacant seats on all federal courts from being obstructed for years on end, some sort of mandatory floor votes after a certain time period has elapsed or something.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Radish posted:

You can say pretty much the same thing about any horrible, yet competent person. I'm not sure why some people want to keep pointing out that Scalia was good at being so awful like it's some kind of positive quality and we are losing anything of real substance (beyond legal navel gazing) with his removal from the bench.

Like if we get more rights for minorities, no union busting, and cleaner air but it's at the cost of his brilliant legal prose and assholish yet sick burns at people he considers idiots in his dissents I think we don't have to really act that it's such a terrible thing.

It's the modern equivalent to all of those people opening about the subtle genius of the Desert Fox.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Yeah someone put into the position as powerful as a SCOTUS justice three decades ago by a guy elected five Presidents ago is kinda ridiculous because the politics of the country shift and while direct election of justices is a terrible idea people should have some agency in that. I think the 18 year plan is fine especially if the senate is forced to vote on the appointment. You are always going to run the risk of a person dying in office but I think there should be some limit other than the person kicking the bucket or deciding they can step down safely.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

evilweasel posted:

Predictit is still giving odds of about 35%-40% Obama gets someone confirmed, which I don't quite get. I keep wondering what I'm missing, or if I should just start collecting the free money.

Seems like a lot of people default to two in five or one in three when there's not an objective measure available.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
This thread reminded me to update my liquor shopping list for the next time I'm traveling through Delaware.

That gently caress Scalia Died

2 oz. dark rum
3/4 oz. Rothman & Winter Orchard Apricot liqueur
1/2 oz. lemon juice
1/4 oz. simple syrup

The Glumslinger posted:

How long until the republicans canonize him to go along with Saint Reagan?
Watching Republican candidates dig up Reagan's corpse and gangbang it at every single debate is getting boring; I'd be glad if they switched it up and used Scalia's waffle-deprived husk instead.

mcmagic posted:

Scalia was Rush Limbaugh in a robe.
I can absolutely picture Scalia playing "I Know I'll Never Love This Way Again" while writing his dissenting opinion in Lawrence v. Texas.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Zeroisanumber posted:

I never wanted to be on his team, I wanted to ideologically destroy him. What the gently caress is wrong with lawyers?
the measure of a man is how he verbally demolishes everyone in his way~

More seriously, Scalia was great at his job and working under him would have probably been incredibly satisfying as long as you can live with what Scalia used his job to accomplish.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I can totally understand people that shared his ideology being sad about his departure. I however don't think he deserves any respect from anyone else based on the quality of his work.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Radish posted:

I can totally understand people that shared his ideology being sad about his departure. I however don't think he deserves any respect from anyone else based on the quality of his work.

No, no matter how wrong he might be he was very, very talented at writing opinions. Again this may be something easier for lawyers to understand (but then again, it's a quality that's more relevant to being a good lawyer than being a good judge).

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Usually when people die you say nice things about them idk.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

evilweasel posted:

No, no matter how wrong he might be he was very, very talented at writing opinions. Again this may be something easier for lawyers to understand (but then again, it's a quality that's more relevant to being a good lawyer than being a good judge).

Yeah. that actually came up for me during a facebook discussion around the marriage equality ruling.
"He has terrible opinions, but at least he's fun to read. Reading a Thomas opinion is like watching paint peel. If we should have adversaries, at least they should be entertaining."

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Why are people like sitting Democratic Senators and the AG being considered to fill this position? That seems to be a dumb political move to me, it makes things easier for the GOP and their obstruction plan. The optics would look much worse if they voted down a well qualified appeals court justice, especially someone like Sri who was confirmed 97-0 not too long ago, or that justice who is friends with Grassley. That way you don't have to go through the painstaking process of replacing the AG or senator either.

MaxxBot fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Feb 17, 2016

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

evilweasel posted:

eh

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

MaxxBot posted:

Why are people like sitting Democratic Senators and the AG being considered to fill this position? That seems to be a dumb political move to me, it makes things easier for the GOP and their obstruction plan. The optics would look much worse if they voted down a well qualified appeals court justice, especially someone like Sri who was confirmed 97-0 not too long ago, or that justice who is friends with Grassley. That way you don't have to go through the painstaking process of replacing the AG or senator either.

Obama doesn't just get one pick. If he nominates someone and they decry the fact that the person he nominated is not a judge and start making out that they'd be fine nominating someone but not this person who isn't a judge, he can then withdraw that nomination and put a judge forward, making it more awkward for the Senate to then complain.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

evilweasel posted:

Amen. It's been a decade since I took ConLaw, but I remember Scalia's opinions (particularly his dissents) being the most engaging to read, even if I usually found them to be substantively repugnant.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

eh, one of his clerks hosed up there and spent a week in the torture dungeons as punishment, Scalia isn't there to do his own fact-checking or research

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Radish posted:

I think it's incredibly sad that the position of "guy did bad things, I must hate everything he does" has become so common, with people refusing to appreciate that their opponents exist in any form beyond their most outrageous terrible opinion and must be capital E Evil.

Scalia was a loving bastard, and I'm glad he isn't around to gently caress other people's lives up anymore, but he was a skilled and magnificient bastard.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

To me being really skilled and using that ability to make people's lives worse or indirectly let them be killed is a bad thing and not something worth respect but that's up to our own individual interpretations of the man.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

blowfish posted:

I think it's incredibly sad that the position of "guy did bad things, I must hate everything he does" has become so common, with people refusing to appreciate that their opponents exist in any form beyond their most outrageous terrible opinion and must be capital E Evil.

Scalia was a loving bastard, and I'm glad he isn't around to gently caress other people's lives up anymore, but he was a skilled and magnificient bastard.

Well there are a lot of different degrees of political opponents. I work with mostly Republicans and I'm friends with them and it's totally cool, because they're not "jailing gays is totally reasonable" Scalia levels of crazy. It's hard for me to not view people who want to jail me over petty differences as evil.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

evilweasel posted:

Predictit is still giving odds of about 35%-40% Obama gets someone confirmed, which I don't quite get. I keep wondering what I'm missing, or if I should just start collecting the free money.

Speaking as a poker player, I'd take 35% odds. I would peg it as an underlay to 42% or so, plus I personally feel he'll get someone through. 11 months is a long time for something as highly visible as a Supreme Court absence. Even if the media coverage is a blassé "nope still no Supreme Court justice," it still keeps the issue on the forefront of people's minds that, hey, why don't we have a Supreme Court justice yet?

I also think Obama's first nomination will fail no matter who it is, and he'll use that to put forth a second candidate without whatever vociferous objections they had during the first pick. Stonewalling that pick plus high visibility should finally get them to cave, idk, eight months from now? I'm pulling numbers out of my rear end here but they feel right! :mmmhmm:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

euphronius posted:

So what was his Autobahn?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
How dead is Scalia atm and has his deadness remained stable?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Nenonen posted:

1: As all hell
2: Yes according to every available indicator

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Scalia's decisions being "fun to read" isn't the same thing as them being good-no more than Trump would be a good president. They frequently did a poor job of establishing clear precedent or articulating a valid or complete legal position. Viewed as a body his jurisprudence was largely incoherent.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

In one hundred years he will return if you sacrifice a legal aide and pour the blood onto his corpse at the time of the Harvard/Yale football game.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

FAUXTON posted:

1: As all hell
2: Yes according to every available indicator

I'm not sure how the title of this thread hasn't been changed to The Assassination of Antonin Scalia by the Coward Barack Obama yet

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

blowfish posted:

Counterpoint - he was good for your first go-around in the justice system. (But very bad for appeals)

Kyllo.
Melendez v Mass
Apprendi v. New Jersey
Blakely v. Washington

Kyllo (Thermal imaging of your house requires a warrant) is a big one, but I'd argue the other three are important as well. It's important that you're sentenced for the crime you were convicted of, not what you were originally charged with. In light of ongoing discoveries of lab chicanery Melendez-Diaz is a big deal.

Harik fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Feb 17, 2016

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Nenonen posted:

Karl Rove is reporting that Scalia is fine and that it was just a bad case of indigestion after eating some spoiled applesauce.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

euphronius posted:

That thing he did with the pillow is something I wish I could do, but I've been trained since a young age to only be able to sleep when my head is leaning upwards and to the side, because of a neck problem.

I guess that's about it. Oh and he might have had good taste in smokes, being a smoker?

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

evilmiera posted:

I guess that's about it. Oh and he might have had good taste in smokes, being a smoker?

He was a smoker, too? drat, he's lucky he survived that long.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Supreme Court Issues 7-1 Decision To Find Scalia's Killer

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

ayn rand hand job posted:

Karl Rove is reporting that Scalia is fine and that it was just a bad case of indigestion after eating some spoiled applesauce.

Salmon mousse.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

UberJew posted:

I'm not sure how the title of this thread hasn't been changed to The Assassination of Antonin Scalia by the Coward Barack Obama yet

:agreed:

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

evilweasel posted:

If you want to know why judicial elections are such a terrible idea, 95% of the US posters reading this who have voted have voted in a judicial election and I expect about 95% of those people didn't realize it or don't remember it. They almost certainly couldn't tell you who they voted for.

Isn't this also an argument against e.g. elected county governments?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

PleasingFungus posted:

Isn't this also an argument against e.g. elected county governments?

Yes, but you can also argue that the point of democracy is to hamstring effective government and make it very difficult to get anything done, while also serving as a great effort-sink for those inclined towards governance, rather than to actually produce good governors.

Not necessarily something you want or need with judges who have a rather more limited amount of power.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
The only people I've ran into in my town that cared about voting for county officials were people over the age of 60 and I don't even think they knew with 100% certainty who they were electing and why

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Shot through the heart, the POTUS to blame / he gave law a bad name

• Locked thread