Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Phone posted:

Miata owners are cheap bastards who don't like hearing that things cost money.

Sounds like E30 owners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Phone posted:

You die an awesomely tragic early death, it was cool but you're dead. You find yourself in hell because you said the F word too many times.

Do you:
A) Have to install race seats into cars for the rest of eternity, or
B) Have to get snap rings out of spindles/suspension knuckles for the rest of eternity.

C) have to moderate a truck/truck parts swap meet group on facebook for the rest of eternity
D) have to safety wire the oil jet and rear seal housing into turboshaft engines for all eternity:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcxHQXYU-Os

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Milk chat: I ate nothing but Cheerios for a few days once and it was shortly after that I figured out I have problems with both milk and oats.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001G7QGCM

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Lightbulb Out posted:

Sounds like all car owners.

fixed

I finally got my dad's bike that he gave me all sorted and started riding it on campus last week. It's better than walking to class from the bus station, but man am I sore.

From a route that's .8 miles each way.

Doesn't help that I weigh 350 with a 25 pound backpack, altogether the better part of 400 pounds to push around. I need to get a heavy duty seat, I'm bottoming out the springs on the current one.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Cakefool posted:

Thankfully I make my own pizzas. In the grand scheme of things it's not a big problem.

Hast thou cold risen some dough yet over a period of several days?

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

88h88 posted:

Between last time you Brits preached home made, cold risen dough for pizzas I've actually started baking quite seriously. Breads, pizzas the works. I'm curious what tips you guys have. For starters, what kind of flour, and whole grain or regular?

vvvvv
The single time I took my BMW to the dealership I witnessed a guy pay $5k for a thorough, yet pretty standard service. He even said thanks. I can take a month off from work for that kind of money, buy all the tools and parts, and still come out ahead.

bolind fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Feb 17, 2016

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Phone posted:

Miata owners are cheap bastards who don't like hearing that things cost money.

Clearly the opposite of new BMW owners. I was there for a reprogramming and watched someone cheerfully okay $145 to change a tail light bulb.

I've changed that bulb myself for TWO DOLLARS.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Homemade pizza is great, especially if you have a bread machine. Throw all the ingredients in, check back in an hour and you got some awesome dough waiting. Stretch it into shape, throw sauce or whatever on and then bake for 12 minutes or so.

My brother likes to buy bmw cars because he thinks theres some status you get with 10+ year old bmws. Most recently he started it up over the weekend to find that he blower didnt work for 5 minutes or so. A few weeks before that his battery died because his brake light switch was faulty and would light up randomly while parked over night. It was then he realized the rear hatch where the battery is is electric operated so he had to climb in the front seats with a battery just to install it. His hand brake is disconnected and its a manual so slightly important.

His bmw before that started on fire, but that was more his fault then the germans.

Cage fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Feb 17, 2016

warcake
Apr 10, 2010
We look after a certain supermarkets truck fleet and if they have a bulb go out on the road it gets called in as a breakdown, the drivers just pull up and won't move till its fixed.

I have seen the invoices for these and they are upwards of £250 for a headlight bulb.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Life without milk and cheese would not be worth living!

I need to actually spend more than 2 days at home so I can make some of your proper pizza dough.

By the end of next week I am going to be at the grand total of 4 nights at home over the last 4 weeks.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

88h88 posted:

:allears: teach me oh resplendently bearded one

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

bolind posted:

Between last time you Brits preached home made, cold risen dough for pizzas I've actually started baking quite seriously. Breads, pizzas the works. I'm curious what tips you guys have. For starters, what kind of flour, and whole grain or regular?

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/07/basic-new-york-style-pizza-dough.html

make that, put in the fridge for 3-5 days.

I really don't like delivery pizza any more after I started making my own dough and sauce. its like 2 bucks per pizza. gently caress delivery prices.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

BraveUlysses posted:

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/07/basic-new-york-style-pizza-dough.html

make that, put in the fridge for 3-5 days.

I really don't like delivery pizza any more after I started making my own dough and sauce. its like 2 bucks per pizza. gently caress delivery prices.

What's the window pane test?

Also I want to add USB power to my car for dashcam, phone etc. Previously I've done terrible terrible things with splices but I'm thinking of doing it right this time, so do I run dedicated cables from the battery? Should I get a small fusebox just for this?

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
Anybody who calls The Witness "pretentious" is not looking at it hard enough. There is something to this game, I've only just started piecing it together.

Also I'm stuck on a puzzle and want to rip my hair out.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Cakefool posted:

Also I want to add USB power to my car for dashcam, phone etc. Previously I've done terrible terrible things with splices but I'm thinking of doing it right this time, so do I run dedicated cables from the battery? Should I get a small fusebox just for this?
I used a power take off fuse and 12-5v converter for mine...
Plugs into spare fuse slot - http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B004AHADOC?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01
12V to 5V converter - http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D5Q1YZ6?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

I need to try making my own pizza sometime, looks easy enough and I love pizza. Forgot my drat leftover pizza in the hotel fridge.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
The window pane test is taking a chunk of your dough that you've kneaded and stretching it out very thin. The idea is that if it forms holes before it becomes translucent (like a window pane) that you have more kneading to do.

I think it can be a bit misleading, but I'm not that good of a baker (or very patient).

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Cakefool posted:

:allears: teach me oh resplendently bearded one

He did an illustrated step by step guide sometime last year in a previous chat thread!

edit - I've got it saved as a PDF and one of your posts is right above it! - https://www.dropbox.com/s/qc8nnw6swvxv83h/Tasty%20Pizza.pdf?dl=0

Tomarse fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Feb 17, 2016

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

MustardFacial posted:

Anybody who calls The Witness "pretentious" is not looking at it hard enough. There is something to this game, I've only just started piecing it together.

Also I'm stuck on a puzzle and want to rip my hair out.

It's super pretentious. Jon Blow is a blowhard and his games are good mechanically.

The game is absolutely brilliant, but all of his interjections and p much all of the endings are wet farts screaming I AM AN ARTIST. The game has an amazing hook and is immensely satisfying, but man is he a blowhard. The game design is robust, the game narrative is not.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Cakefool posted:

What's the window pane test?

scuz covered it (google for more info) but i just use the hook attachment on my KA mixer and let the fucker go for 20 minutes or so. food processor will do it faster but I prefer the mixer.

i never bother with the window pane test.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Tomarse posted:

He did an illustrated step by step guide sometime last year in a previous chat thread!

edit - I've got it saved as a PDF and one of your posts is right above it! - https://www.dropbox.com/s/qc8nnw6swvxv83h/Tasty%20Pizza.pdf?dl=0

poo poo, you beat me to it. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3723375&pagenumber=10&perpage=40#post446104367

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Yeah you can make dough in an hour and it's fine, bit bready and boring though. It's like having all the ingredients to make your own beer, mixing it all together and just necking it straight off, which is a poor use of said ingredients.

The magic is in the fermentation. You basically make you dough as you would normally, there's no magic recipe as such. I favour strong white flour or Italian '00'.

Make dough. Seal it in the mixing bowl using cling film and making sure it's well sealed as your dough will rise and cleaning up is a faff. Seal it in a bowl and throw it in the fridge. Next day, it'll have risen so turf it out, beat the air out and then seal it up again. Put it back in the fridge. Repeat...

After 3 days your dough will have a real nice flavour to it because like a beer, it's fermenting. After a few days of beating the air out you can portion it out into sealable sandwich bags for ease of use, putting a bit of olive oil in the bag to stop the dough sticking. You can then put said bags back in the fridge and have pizza for days... I've left dough in the fridge for anything up to two weeks and it's all good. So with a bit of prep in the beginning you can have some seriously lazy pizza.

*edit: seeing as the link was found above, Freelop mentioned the pre-rolled dough in a sheet format. Get that, cut it into squares/circles and put some fresh mozzarella and a bit of pepperoni in there, seal up the mozz and pepperoni. Place however many you can make into a casserole dish, throw a bunch of cheese over the top and put it in a pre-heated oven. So good.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Feb 17, 2016

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

I did similar, except I ended up not using the fuse tap, because I realized my cop car had fused powers on the passenger side behind the glove box. I got the double-USB version because I figured I might need the extra one at some point, and the price difference was minimal, if any:
http://smile.amazon.com/Kimdrox-Adapter-Double-Connector-Charger/dp/B00XDSA82Q/ref=pd_bxgy_107_img_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=0WW05ZE1DE2W08K3TCNX

I've got one of these:
http://smile.amazon.com/Rerii-Exten...R1B10ZXFBR32WXT
to connect to my head unit, mounted next to the factory power point. I'm considering something like this:
http://smile.amazon.com/Waterproof-...FB0G22DZHR5AW7B
For power-only non-permanent stuff.

I really like this panel thing with two USBs, a power outlet, and a volts gauge. I may mount that on or inside my center console.
http://smile.amazon.com/Astra-Depot...XA8V27AJFJBEREV

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
gently caress mixing dough, let the machine do it and give me perfect results instead. A bread machine is not the same thing as a Mr. Beer kit.

I hear you about fermentation and stuff, which makes a good pickle btw, but we make thin crust anyway so it isn't bready or whatever.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Cage posted:

gently caress mixing dough, let the machine do it and give me perfect results instead. A bread machine is not the same thing as a Mr. Beer kit.

I hear you about fermentation and stuff, which makes a good pickle btw, but we make thin crust anyway so it isn't bready or whatever.

pffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

I'm sorry you don't care about the glory that is good pizza. :'(

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
The good stuff is on top anyway. :colbert:

There are no pizza rules, it takes effort to make a bad pizza. You can get delicious results with a tortilla if you want.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

George Foreman + tortilla + cheese and stuff = a legit lazy 'pizza'

...but if you're going out of your way to make dough from scratch you may as well put in a bit more effort and get the full benefit.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

88h88 posted:

George Foreman + tortilla + cheese and stuff = a legit lazy 'pizza'

...but if you're going out of your way to make dough from scratch you may as well put in a bit more effort and get the full benefit.
But a bread machine is only just barely "going out of your way", thats the point. You dump flour, water, yeast, butter and salt in the bowl and turn the machine on.

I know its setting aside the art of cooking but sometimes thats ok.

edit: I just wanted to take you down an artisanal peg or two. :glomp:

e2: actually i just wanted to use the phrase "artisanal peg"

Cage fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Feb 17, 2016

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Cage posted:

But a bread machine is only just barely "going out of your way", thats the point. You dump flour, water, yeast, butter and salt in the bowl and turn the machine on.

same as a kitchenaid mixer or a food processor. at least the KA mixer is easy as hell to clean the bowl and hook. Bread machines are terrible.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

BraveUlysses posted:

same as a kitchenaid mixer or a food processor. at least the KA mixer is easy as hell to clean the bowl and hook. Bread machines are terrible.
The bread machine you used is terrible. There is only a bowl to clean on ours.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Cage posted:

edit: I just wanted to take you down an artisanal peg or two. :glomp:

e2: actually i just wanted to use the phrase "artisanal peg"

...when I posted up about using pre-rolled dough and making 'pizza' with tortillas? Haha. If you're going to make dough, just do it properly otherwise you may as well just use a pitta bread or a tortilla as 'the good stuff is on the top anyway' :v:

Try it some time, you may find you actually like it.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I've made dough the long way before. Its not worth the effort. Bread machine takes me 95% of the way there.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Cage posted:

I've made dough the long way before. Its not worth the effort. Bread machine takes me 95% of the way there.

...but there's no 'long' about it, it takes 20 minutes for me to make 2 bowls full which is 10 LARGE thin crust pizzas. And once you've done that you have pizza dough for like 2 weeks so it's not really much effort at all, not quite sure how you're not seeing that but whatever, feel free to carry on making adequate dough when the good stuff is just as easy. :shrug:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Oh, STR is going to have something to say on this topic! :glomp:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Cage posted:

The bread machine you used is terrible. There is only a bowl to clean on ours.

bread machines are terrible because they are huge, take up too much space to make poo poo bread.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

If I can use the dough to make bread rolls I'll try that. I could only reasonably make pizza twice a week. Though it does need to feed two kids and two adults. Yeah, I'll give that a go and do garlic dough balls too.

Nitrospazz, do those pto's plug into an existing circuit or a spare slot in your fusebox? Because the spares in mine have no contacts at all.

They piggyback another circuit, so I find a circuit that's only on with ACC, then write the negative to any handy ground point?

cakesmith handyman fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Feb 17, 2016

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

If you're not getting your pizza from an angry Italian man using a wood or coal fired oven, it will probably be bad.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Added to my recipes cheat sheet. I'm not spoiled with a mixing machine though, would have to mix that poo poo by hand.

Darchangel posted:

I really like this panel thing with two USBs, a power outlet, and a volts gauge. I may mount that on or inside my center console.
http://smile.amazon.com/Astra-Depot...XA8V27AJFJBEREV
That would be pretty nice to have

Cakefool posted:

Nitrospazz, do those pto's plug into an existing circuit or a spare slot in your fusebox? Because the spares in mine have no contacts at all.
They piggyback another circuit, so I find a circuit that's only on with ACC, then write the negative to any handy ground point?
I had spare sockets in mine at various amp ratings. I still haven't wired up my dashcam despite having everything for at least six months.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Feb 17, 2016

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
You guys get mad snarky about bread.

Cage fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Feb 17, 2016

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

Deeters posted:

If you're not getting your pizza from an angry Italian man using a wood or coal fired oven, it will probably be bad.

My pizza comes from an angry Albanian man in a wood-fired oven, and it's pretty great. v:v:v

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Deeters posted:

I get my pizza from one the most cheerful Italian men on the planet in a gas fired oven..... and I guarenttee it's better than just about anywhere else on the planet.

• Locked thread