Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

JerryLee posted:

Even that 'good' explanation would have come off as dumb and handwavey given that it came up and was resolved in the space of a single small set; you're right that it's an improvement but that's pretty faint praise (as I'm sure you realize ).

Oh, absolutely. Kozilek and Ulamog should have outright won.

But if you're going to have something defeat them, an entire plane is a bit more understandable than a single fire mage with help from the world's dumbest hippie, Jace "I appeal to Magic's core demographic of early-mid 20s nerdy males" Beleren, and Chad the invincible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

There was a bunch of stuff about how Ugin never wanted to kill the eldrazi because it would just free them, I assume killing them will prove to have been a terrible idea in time

Eh, I have a feeling they threw that story out the window and that they are simply dead.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Entropic posted:

I think most people's theory was that they nerfed all the removal to make soulbond playable which turned out to be a really terrible idea.

soulbond is a neat but bad mechanic, bc if removal was good then it would be incredibly swingy, and if removal is bad then board states snowball.

its not good.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

GeneX posted:

Oh, absolutely. Kozilek and Ulamog should have outright won.

But if you're going to have something defeat them, an entire plane is a bit more understandable than a single fire mage with help from the world's dumbest hippie, Jace "I appeal to Magic's core demographic of early-mid 20s nerdy males" Beleren, and Chad the invincible.

Are there guys that actually like Jace?

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Well they did pull their full manifestations into Zendikar, so Ugin's exact warning of it being like cutting off a hand should be less of a concern. Jace was like Ugin is way smarter than me and definitely told me not to do this, but all out of ideas so welp.

Magic the gathering story chat, the darkest timeline. Sucks we didn't get sweet art of Zendikar veing inside the full titans.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Soulbond is fine as long as they don't gimp all the removal for its sake. Nobody says Slivers are a bad mechanic just because if you have removal for some Slivers then the remaining slivers get weaker.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Did anyone who wasn't around for the original slivers actually like slivers in M1whatever ?

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Entropic posted:

Did anyone who wasn't around for the original slivers actually like slivers in M1whatever ?

I wasn't and did not like them.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Entropic posted:

Everyone liked every part of the new slivers except the art box.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Entropic posted:

New slivers were fine and the complaints always boiled down to NOT MY SLIVERS to the point where someone in this thread admitted that that was their entire reason for disliking them

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Yeah, the slivers having a new look was pretty meh. I otherwise adored that they came back, even if I never played them.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Drafting with the new slivers was pretty bad because it meant you were drafting M14

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
the only good slivers were the 1M lords (honorable mention to sedge obv), the blue ones from stronghold, frenetic, dormant, homing and virulent. :colbert:

opposition sliver was hilarious in draft tho.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Are there guys that actually like Jace?

He is the most popular planeswalker, per Mark Rosewater, so yes.

As for slivers: the art was terrible, but it would be cool if they returned for good.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Hive had old sliver art for some reason

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Entropic posted:

I liked the mechanics change but the art was terrible.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I just didn't find the slivers mechanic very interesting. It was like, "this is it? People are nostalgic for a bunch of lords with ability words slapped on?"

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

A friend informed me of this tweet.

https://twitter.com/Odin_FK/status/700043482635878401

Isn't that number kind of low? I figure it'd be an overflowing variable, but I feel that "tens of thousands" would be closer to the mark than "~600".

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Serperoth posted:

Isn't that number kind of low? I figure it'd be an overflowing variable, but I feel that "tens of thousands" would be closer to the mark than "~600".

Such are the mysteries of modo.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Entropic posted:

I just didn't find the slivers mechanic very interesting. It was like, "this is it? People are nostalgic for a bunch of lords with ability words slapped on?"

Slivers are dope as hell once you start dropping a bunch, and old slivers were fun because the mirror match was a game of chicken

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
it's kind of hard to top dormant and frenetic sliver let's be honest.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I wouldn't be surprised if after a certain number of turns with nothing happening, mtgo goes into "something infinite must have happened" mode, like with LSV's oblivion rings. Restarting the game is the correct action at that point.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I know that they changed them in order to simplify board states, but I wish they'd kept slivers buffing both sides as it made them stand out mechanically as a tribe, especially now that all regular lords only buff your side.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

cheetah7071 posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if after a certain number of turns with nothing happening, mtgo goes into "something infinite must have happened" mode, like with LSV's oblivion rings. Restarting the game is the correct action at that point.

Oh yeah that probably makes more sense. "If Turns >= 650 OR StuffThisTurn >= Whatever" rather than a simple overflow thing. The dude mentions crashing the game, rather than restarting, so I don't know.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
I think if LLM limited was any indication it wasn't symmetrical buffing that made tribal mechanics complex. I mean, I'm all for more complex board states but they can't (or won't, whatever) just eventually GL anyone who misplays mutavault at a GP or PPTQ.

Judge my opponent tried to block my stromkirk noble/boldwyr intimidator with a mutavault, etc.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Drafting with the new slivers was pretty bad because it meant you were drafting M14

Wrong. Drafting U/X control is the best part of MTG, and in M14 no one gets left out!

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Entropic posted:

The M14 slivers generally had less interesting effects than the old ones. Out of the 13 colored slivers, 4 granted a flat +#/+#, and 7 granted evergreen keywords.

Old slivers had stat boosts and keywords too, but they also had a bunch of weird things mixed in to make them interesting. Pay 2 life to return to your hand. Defender but draw a card on etb. The ability to sacrifice for a variety of effects. The ability to tap to deal damage to another target at the cost of also damaging themselves, so their survival depended on toughness boosts. Devoid and shroud a decade before those keywords existed. Slivercycling. That one coin-flip sliver.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
I mean before time spiral block slivers basically mostly granted keyword/static abilities.

Ironic that time spiral had the most boring WUBRG legendary out of them all for having the craziest abilities.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Zoness posted:

I think if LLM limited was any indication it wasn't symmetrical buffing that made tribal mechanics complex. I mean, I'm all for more complex board states but they can't (or won't, whatever) just eventually GL anyone who misplays mutavault at a GP or PPTQ.

Judge my opponent tried to block my stromkirk noble/boldwyr intimidator with a mutavault, etc.

That's basically the easiest thing to remember ever, because rather than having to check the individual creature type you just know that if something interacts with a creature type, it interacts with mutavault. Now, if someone casts something that destroys all Shamans and you have to remember that some random elf (that you've only ever cared about the fact that it was an elf) is actually an Elf Shaman, that's a bit trickier, I guess?

But ultimately what it comes down to is that people :qq:ing that they have to keep track of variables in a wizard game is never going to stop being a mixture of hilarious and sad.

Zoness posted:

I mean before time spiral block slivers basically mostly granted keyword/static abilities.

Yes and no? I mean, Acidic, Victual, Mnemonic and Mindwhip were all in Tempest block and I'm pretty sure there are examples from the Onslaught block return as well (Magma?) so it's not that simple. Though TSP definitely dug deeper into the zaniness well.

JerryLee fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Feb 17, 2016

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It's almost as if Core Sets were less complicated than The Complicated Set.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Modern is basically unplayable right now unless you are playing Eldrazi. Knowing that this isn't going to get fixed till April is annoying as gently caress. By all accounts, they are doubling down on not emergency banning it.

How loving boring.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Zoness posted:

Even before Time Spiral they had some neat effects. They weren't just standard lord effects like +1/+1 and haste, though those were obviously in there too.

In M14, they're just static p/t buffs and evergreen keywords.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Sickening posted:

Modern is basically unplayable right now unless you are playing Eldrazi. Knowing that this isn't going to get fixed till April is annoying as gently caress. By all accounts, they are doubling down on not emergency banning it.

How loving boring.

Don't worry I'm sure someone is willing to sell you a $30 card that supposedly beats Eldrazi but actually doesn't.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Sickening posted:

How loving boring.

It's fun to play a completely broken deck for a few months... It's not like Modern was all that great before Eldrazi was a thing.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Even before Time Spiral they had some neat effects. They weren't just standard lord effects like +1/+1 and haste, though those were obviously in there too.

These look really awesome and sometimes I understand why people miss the old frame. Mainly the blue frame because it is sickkkk.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Hibernation was one I forgot, though really Crystalline is just shroud.

To be fair, if you've decided that you need to remake slivers as predator aliens that don't set off people's symmetrical mechanic triggers, it does reasonably follow that you're going to want to remake the +1/+1, flying, vigilance etc. staple slivers. They could have had some interesting ones too, but remaking Muscle Sliver isn't wrong if that's the premise you're starting with, even if the premise itself is faulty.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

mcmagic posted:

It's fun to play a completely broken deck for a few months... It's not like Modern was all that great before Eldrazi was a thing.

What an incredibly dumb thing to say.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

All of those are from expert-level sets.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

mistform was a block mechanic, crystalline is just shroud

Stronghold did put some cool abilities on MN slivers but iirc only crystalline and hibernation were particularly strong out of those. I'm probably mostly biased because I played a lot more time spiral limited than tempest block (none at all) or onslaught block (when i started playing) and also because wild pair slivers was a rad time spiral block deck and slivers won a time spiral block 2hg draft pro tour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Didn't M15 slivers start in design as another creature type and then someone realized that they were basically reinventing slivers, so why not just switch them over? I thought I read that somewhere, but can't recall exactly.

• Locked thread