Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
I'm giving KeePass another shot. What's the recommended app to do syncing to my phone? MiniKeePass?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
It is what I use and it is still quite serviceable. Not sure if there are others, though. Been using MiniKeepass for years.

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?
Is there an app out there that will shuffle songs by grouping? I used to use Euphony, but it doesn’t seem to work well on iOS 9, it’s disappeared from the app store and the developer’s web site is gone.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!
What kind of grouping would you like? Ecoute has the option to shuffle artist and album, not sure if the stock music app does that because I don't use it anymore. Without more info on what you'd like to accomplish its hard to make a recommendation.

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?

decypher posted:

What kind of grouping would you like? Ecoute has the option to shuffle artist and album, not sure if the stock music app does that because I don't use it anymore. Without more info on what you'd like to accomplish its hard to make a recommendation.

I mean tracks that have something in the "Grouping" tag.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I'm currently using the What's On? app to find out when shows I like are going to be back on the air but I feel it's a bit limited. I want an app that will help me keep track of shows I missed as well. Maybe something that let's me check off that I'm caught up. Does anyone have any suggestions?

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

Met posted:

I'm currently using the What's On? app to find out when shows I like are going to be back on the air but I feel it's a bit limited. I want an app that will help me keep track of shows I missed as well. Maybe something that let's me check off that I'm caught up. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I use iShows which uses Trakt as a backend and The Sweet Setup likes Television Time -- they have a few more options listed at the end of their article..

Kailtor
Jun 7, 2005

fucking kailtor

Ask me about my lifetime subscription

:ughh: :ughh:

Irritated Goat posted:

I'm giving KeePass another shot. What's the recommended app to do syncing to my phone? MiniKeePass?

MiniKeePass has been great for years and even gets updates once in a while including TouchID! Syncs perfectly with Dropbox.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

maduin posted:

I use iShows which uses Trakt as a backend and The Sweet Setup likes Television Time -- they have a few more options listed at the end of their article..

And someone in TVIV recommended "Next Episode" which is a front end for the website I think. I've been using it right now and we'll it does what it says it does: notifies me when new episodes air. It's not pretty and there seems to be an option to swipe an episode and have it be marked as read but I can't get this working so it tells me that an episode of x aired but I don't know what happens if I were miss two weeks. I imagine it wouldn't know I didn't watch both episodes.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
What's the best call recording app for iOS? I see a few that are widely used in the app store, but reviews seem to expose the dev's promises (i.e. functionality limited and pay nags for continued use after buying).

I'm good paying $10-$20 once, but in no way am interested in a recurring "buy more credits" scheme/beg paywall/subscription.

ray_finkle_himself
Sep 7, 2012
Anyone have a suggestion for a document scanner app?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

ray_finkle_himself posted:

Evernote or scanner pro.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

hotsauce posted:

What's the best call recording app for iOS? I see a few that are widely used in the app store, but reviews seem to expose the dev's promises (i.e. functionality limited and pay nags for continued use after buying).

I'm good paying $10-$20 once, but in no way am interested in a recurring "buy more credits" scheme/beg paywall/subscription.
I don't think it'd be allowed on the store if it's possible to begin with, you might be able to side load something perhaps.

Only other way I can think of to record calls (and those apps might be doing this) is having the call go through another service that does the recording. Like when calling through/with Google Voice (barring changes) you can hit one of the numbers to start recording presumably save it to the site. It announces that the call is being recorded iirc so you can't use it secretly (unless you start it while the other puts you on hold or something?).

ray_finkle_himself posted:

ScanBot is another.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

maduin posted:

I went with Television Time. It's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

japtor posted:

I don't think it'd be allowed on the store if it's possible to begin with, you might be able to side load something perhaps.

Huh? There are plenty on the Apple App Store. I was just asking what one is generally regarded as the best.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Looking for a PDF reader with two features - a sepia background mode for nighttime reading, and a crop feature to easily ignore big margins. If there's anything even remotely like PocketBook for Android, that would be amazing.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

dantheman650 posted:

Looking for a PDF reader with two features - a sepia background mode for nighttime reading, and a crop feature to easily ignore big margins. If there's anything even remotely like PocketBook for Android, that would be amazing.
PDF Expert 5 has the sepia thing, and I think when I double tap it zooms in by ignoring margins, but I don't think it has an auto crop of the sort that you're looking for, exactly.

killa-pope
May 21, 2008
Not sure if it was recently added, since I just bought it last week, but PDF Expert does have a night mode in addition to sepia, as well as an auto crop feature that seems to work fairly well.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

dantheman650 posted:

Goodreader has a reflow mode kind of like the reading mode in browsers, but sucks at changing page colour outside of that, but the crop feature is very good though not automatic.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
Yup PDF Expert will do all of those things for you.

Goodreader is good, but it's more of a good PDF reader that can do lots of other poo poo.

PDF Expert is a great PDF reader.

I used both a LOT over the past year while doing my masters, and while Goodreader is nice, PDF Expert is better.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

japtor posted:

Only other way I can think of to record calls (and those apps might be doing this) is having the call go through another service that does the recording. Like when calling through/with Google Voice (barring changes) you can hit one of the numbers to start recording presumably save it to the site. It announces that the call is being recorded iirc so you can't use it secretly (unless you start it while the other puts you on hold or something?).

You're correct in that an app cannot record a phone call.
The apps call your phone number and get you to make a 3 way call with their VOIP service and the person you're talking to.
Then presumably they send you a download link.

No recommendations, sorry, but I did notice that "tapeacall pro" claims to not have any charges past its initial app cost (AUD$15) so if that turns out to be a mistruth then you should be able to get a refund from Apple.

The other option is to jailbreak if your IOS version allows it.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

~Coxy posted:

You're correct in that an app cannot record a phone call.
The apps call your phone number and get you to make a 3 way call with their VOIP service and the person you're talking to.
Then presumably they send you a download link.

No recommendations, sorry, but I did notice that "tapeacall pro" claims to not have any charges past its initial app cost (AUD$15) so if that turns out to be a mistruth then you should be able to get a refund from Apple.

The other option is to jailbreak if your IOS version allows it.
This is a shame since my old Sony Ericsson featurephone could record calls directly back in 2007.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I'm trying to migrate my moms IP4 to an IP5s. I just set her up with a real AppleID and iCloud account. However, she had some random person's AppleID on her IP4, maybe from a repair shop or some other 'samaritan'. Problem is, her Wechat app is somehow locked to this other person's AppleID. I can't update it on her old phone, it asks me for their password whenever I try. The app data gets backed up to iCloud without a problem but when I go to open the app on the new IP5s it still asks me for this other person's AppleID password. Maybe for some in-app stuff? I tried clearing that out but I couldn't find anything. I'd really like to get her wechat data migrated. There's lots of photos and videos. Wechat does have a manual migration feature that sorta works but it doesn't let you transfer chat logs for group chats which is all she really has.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

My post wasn't very nice so I edited it.

I don't believe your story, though.

decypher fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Feb 17, 2016

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Well all I can say is that it is my original US ATT GSM IP4 from 2010. I gave it to my dad after I upgraded and he took it to china to get it jailbroken by who knows just so he could use it with a carrier there. I can't recall the jailbreak scene back then so I can't comment. I'm pretty sure its never been wiped since then. Now it turns up at my place again with some stranger's AppleID but all the apps and photos are my mom's. Believe what you want. IP4(non S) is worth poo poo all these days anyway.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

You should have no problem getting the saved data from the iPhone using a program like iFunbox or iBackupbot.

http://www.icopybot.com/itunes-backup-manager.htm

http://www.i-funbox.com

https://www.macroplant.com/iexplorer/

iExplorer is reputable as well and there is a trial but I am not sure what kind of restrictions it has.

Once you pull the data, restore the phone and set it up as a new one ASAP. You should be able to then use one of those programs to place the data back on the device.

Good luck.

decypher fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Feb 17, 2016

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

decypher posted:

My post wasn't very nice so I edited it.

I don't believe your story, though.

It's absurd, but I believe his story because it happens all the time.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Josh Lyman posted:

This is a shame since my old Sony Ericsson featurephone could record calls directly back in 2007.

I mean that's pretty creepy and possibly illegal in some places.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Boris Galerkin posted:

I mean that's pretty creepy and possibly illegal in some places.

Completely legal in 38 states

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

dik-dik posted:

Completely legal in 38 states

Yeah, but those other 12 keep manufacturers from making it easy or putting it in themselves. They're not going to make SPECIAL 1 PARTY CONSENT EDITION phone.

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

flosofl posted:

Yeah, but those other 12 keep manufacturers from making it easy or putting it in themselves.

Why? If you illegally record someone with your phone it doesn't make it the manufacturers fault, otherwise gun manufacturers would be in deep trouble.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

uninterrupted posted:

Why? If you illegally record someone with your phone it doesn't make it the manufacturers fault, otherwise gun manufacturers would be in deep trouble.

Eh, it probably depends on legislation. I know the cameras in phones have to have a camera click (or other sound) you can't disable. I believe it's to conform with a law in Japan to curb clandestine photos by creeps doing upskirt/downblouse.

Plus, I imagine they don't want to open themselves up to even the possibility of legal culpability.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

That's a really bad example because the camera click can totally be disabled by switching your silent switch on. Like I've probably never actually heard my 6s's camera click ever.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

flosofl posted:

I know the cameras in phones have to have a camera click (or other sound) you can't disable. I believe it's to conform with a law in Japan to curb clandestine photos by creeps doing upskirt/downblouse.

What else do you know?

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling
Maybe smartphone manufacturers just don't want to spend a bunch of time and effort to add a feature that most people don't need and is duplicated by third-party software

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

The full version of VLC Remote is currently free, not to be confused with VLC Remote Free. Now I can finally turn off all the controls in VLC and stop accidentally turning on fast playback.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/c8ters/status/699701086656077825

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Jeff Goldblum posted:

The full version of VLC Remote is currently free, not to be confused with VLC Remote Free. Now I can finally turn off all the controls in VLC and stop accidentally turning on fast playback.

Oh awesome! thanks a lot.

flosofl posted:

Yeah, but those other 12 keep manufacturers from making it easy or putting it in themselves. They're not going to make SPECIAL 1 PARTY CONSENT EDITION phone.

That's dumb. It's already very easy to do things with your phone that are illegal in some states (e.g., texting and driving). It's not the manufacturer's responsibility to make sure it's impossible for you to break the law with your phone. It's your responsibility to follow the law. Plus, in all-party states, it's 100% legal to record conversations where all parties consent to being recorded.

The Gillman
Jul 8, 2004
Beaten with a sack of sweet Valencia oranges
Grimey Drawer

I'm guilty of this. Also with a harmony remote

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

All you record conversations complainers seem to be forgetting that everything is so heavily sandboxed in iOS that unless it was built in by Apple themselves there's no way it'll ever be an option through a third party app without going through sketchy conference calling shenanigans.