Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

TorakFade posted:

That would suck. With a not-500$ hotas you can't be as accurate as a mouse user, plus I am also bad at aiming in general so fixed weapons are a no-no for me.

It might be just me, but it feels like they actively WANT to limit choice in weapons - I can't stand to use railguns and PACs, and fixed weapons in general, because I miss all the time and ammo is either expensive, limited or both.

Yes I know I should git gud.

PACs are easy to use with a cheap HOTAS because of the fire rate, projectile size and projectile velocity. Fixed lasers are a lot harder but I'm hoping the C4 multicannon won't pose too much of a problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

berenzen posted:

Don't forget the statement that silent running is 'cheating'.

This literally just happened to me in Okinura. I was in a stealth Eagle and he was in a Cobra III. lol

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Mike the TV posted:

This literally just happened to me in Okinura. I was in a stealth Eagle and he was in a Cobra III. lol

Mainframe neo-virals?

Berious
Nov 13, 2005
Got back into Elite today. Haven't played since release. Really nice to see missions are worth doing, and ratting for bounties is nice money too. Earned 750K in about 1/2 an hour of ratting with my Cobra Mk3. Nearly lost it all getting greedy but I managed to flee. That was an exciting moment. My Cobra is still a hauler fit - going to fit it properly for combat and have another go.

The station I redeemed the bounties at went green :wub:

Berious fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Feb 17, 2016

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I can see it for the huge weapons - I mean when it's half the size of the ship, its going to be fixed. But large weapons? Big, slow tracking turrets would make for kickass guns as well as fun dodging in your iggle...

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
i Sola Prospect may have sold everything, but it now comes at a cost.

https://community.elitedangerous.com/galnet/uid/56c4abff9657ba09388f8cac

Yeah. 20% increase in price is not worth it to save time shopping around.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Strategic Tea posted:

I can see it for the huge weapons - I mean when it's half the size of the ship, its going to be fixed. But large weapons? Big, slow tracking turrets would make for kickass guns as well as fun dodging in your iggle...
Well I mean C4 cannons can already be purchased gimballed so I don't see why C4 multis wouldn't be.

Insert name here fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Feb 17, 2016

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

IAmTheRad posted:

Oh man the sweet sweet tears :allears:

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

Literally Kermit posted:

Citation needed.

(I hope you are wrong :pray:)

The only source I can cite is "some people in the discord chat who watched a stream or something where the devs talked about this told me." I hope I'm wrong too. :shobon:

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore

Efexeye posted:

Never ever mine at a RES. Just find a planet with a pristine metallic belt (not metal rich) and aim yourself at it, you'll drop out of FSD with no damage and be all alone. There are rocks that look reddish from a distance that tend to have the higher value stuff in them. I made 600k last night in about 90 minutes while I drank hopslam and watched Mad Max :)

Today I learned that "metal rich" and "metallic" are not the same. Thanks.

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

I thought there was an iOS comapion app for this game but I can't find it in the app store. Does it actually exist, and if so, is it useful at all?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Kramjacks posted:

I thought there was an iOS comapion app for this game but I can't find it in the app store. Does it actually exist, and if so, is it useful at all?

Yes and no it isn't which is why it was pulled from the store.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

efb, nevermind

content: here's a pretty good Android app for finding metal to mine

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

IAmTheRad posted:

They're compensating preemptively for the fact that an acquisition of that system by LYR would have made it better than Founder's World. But LYR wants nothing to do with the place because they have persistent delusions that their efficiency matters, and Brestla is clear across the bubble from their HQ.

So :frontier: just nerf batted that station into oblivion for absolutely no raisin.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Your Loyal Vizier posted:

They're compensating preemptively for the fact that an acquisition of that system by LYR would have made it better than Founder's World. But LYR wants nothing to do with the place because they have persistent delusions that their efficiency matters, and Brestla is clear across the bubble from their HQ.

So :frontier: just nerf batted that station into oblivion for absolutely no raisin.

That wasn't actually the reason :ssh:

The station exists to serve as a place for some player group to do quick and frequent outfitting changes. It was never intended to be a new Founder's World.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Right, a new Founder's World is what they don't want. I feel like we're saying the same thing :psyduck:

But when I asked I got a firm answer from the LYR guys that it was never going to happen anyway

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

No you're saying :frontear: "nerfed" the station for "no raisin".

I'm telling you they had a reason :shrug:

Berious
Nov 13, 2005
How do people find equipment? I've been using this site http://roguey.co.uk/elite-dangerous/equipment/weapon/beam-laser-gimbal/ but it's not great. Doesn't know any armor, told me some fixed beams were gimballed. Is there anything better?

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

https://eddb.io is probably the most up-to-date, though it's not perfect

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

berenzen posted:

https://eddb.io is probably the most up-to-date, though it's not perfect

Cool, thanks for that. Will go shopping tomorrow after I kill some more space mans.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Er... ED:H disappeared from my Steam library though all the files still exist on my computer. When I run the launcher itself it wants to be updated. I still see ED in my library, but I don't have it installed.

What gives?

e: nm, think I figured out what's going on via the official forums.

kedo fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Feb 18, 2016

Berwin
Jul 18, 2014

kedo posted:

Er... ED:H disappeared from my Steam library though all the files still exist on my computer. When I run the launcher itself it wants to be updated. I still see ED in my library, but I don't have it installed.

What gives?

Yeah it's some snafu between Frontier and Steam with the new update.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Strategic Tea posted:

Yeah, and they already have turreted large lasers and cannons, so it would seem to make sense that they'd do it for large multicannons too. I hope it's just the new huge weapons that are fixed-only.

timn
Mar 16, 2010

kedo posted:

What gives?

With the most recent update the standalone Horizons install was finally deprecated on Steam. If you're like me and you uninstalled regular ED, then congratulations you get to redownload all 14 gigs of the game that was working perfectly fine 2 days ago. You can copy the Horizons files into your ED directory but then you still have to redownload 7.5 gigs worth of the 32-bit version of base ED and the demo before you can get it to work again.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

timn posted:

With the most recent update the standalone Horizons install was finally deprecated on Steam. If you're like me and you uninstalled regular ED, then congratulations you get to redownload all 14 gigs of the game that was working perfectly fine 2 days ago. You can copy the Horizons files into your ED directory but then you still have to redownload 7.5 gigs worth of the 32-bit version of base ED and the demo before you can get it to work again.

This is exactly what I hoped to do with my evening!

Oh god I just realized this probably means I'm going to have to redo all of my keybindings for my hotas D:

kedo fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Feb 18, 2016

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Is there any way to copy the key bindings across? Because god loving drat it.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Keybindings are stored in AppData, not in the game files. You guys should be fine.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Key bindings should be in %localappdata%\Frontier Developments\Elite Dangerous\Options\Bindings, not your install directory.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Having found painite, is there anywhere efficient to sell it if my primary interest is increasing major faction rank, and money second?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Painite (along with Osmium and Platinum) can spawn missions that will pay a lot more per ton than just selling it, and it gives rep. There are PMR systems that spawn these in-system rather frequently. Njikan is the one that I know but there are definitely others.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

I was doing it all wrong. With advanced fuckery, I'm making 50 million an hour. :aaaaa:

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?
Look I cannot be the only guy thinking "Dual C4 Fixed Beams on the fCorv will rape so much face".

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

BMan posted:

I was doing it all wrong. With advanced fuckery, I'm making 50 million an hour. :aaaaa:

Do they not punish the kind of blatant exploiting?

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

LumberingTroll posted:

Do they not punish the kind of blatant exploiting?

It used to be a lot worse and no, they don't. The only time I've seen Frontier push out retroactive punishments on an exploit was when the game glitched and wouldn't empty your cargo hold when you sold commodities. The mad rush became "Sell as much loving gold/palladium as possible before they fix this" and people made billions. This was only in the first month or two after release so they rolled out fixes to all accounts that had seen a sudden massive increase in cash to pre-glitch levels. I think some people made out with ships they'd already bought and outfitted though.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Mike the TV posted:

How dare you not stand in front of his guns for honorabloo-bloo space combat you dastardly hacker troll griefer.

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

Apparently the servers are going down for maintenance in a few minutes do we know how long it will last?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Kramjacks posted:

Apparently the servers are going down for maintenance in a few minutes do we know how long it will last?

The in game announcement said 20 minutes. Hopefully it's accurate.

I've tinkered with my Imperial Clipper and now rock over 2000 armor/hull points with a size 6 fuel scoop and size 3 interdictor.

Zero cargo but all the speed and mass for ramming :haw:

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Feb 18, 2016

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005

This makes sense.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

DreadLlama posted:

This makes sense.

For what it's worth today they said this bullshit is getting better for 2.1 - rank will only suggest difficulty and not lock you out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Literally Kermit posted:

For what it's worth today they said this bullshit is getting better for 2.1 - rank will only suggest difficulty and not lock you out

Hmm. Not sure that's a good thing, though how it is now isn't the best either... What the hell will the point of rank be then? Just the crafting/Engineers stuff? Bragging about your space penis?

• Locked thread