Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
MMmmmmm gonna get that Gouf.

Lovin' all these build shots, nice work everybody!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tighran
Jun 28, 2004
Are the internal frames for RGs largely pre-assembled? I found an RG Astray Red Frame at Barnes and Noble but it just looks a bit fiddly to me. I'd check out the RG MK-II except I'm probably going to get the MG MK-II from Build Fighters, so I'm thinking of trying out one of the RG GP-01 designs. Has anyone built those and are they solid models?

I also just finished Build Fighters Try and I want to make all the gunpla... The worst part is they reference an MG Quin Mantha in the show but as far as I can tell there never was any such kit or even an HG, just an SD. I've loved that design since playing Gundam Battle Assault 2 and would love to build a kit of it.

Also as an aside, what is P-Bandai? I've seen the term thrown around a few times and with seemingly negative connotations at times but don't know exactly what it means.

Sazabi is slowly coming together. So many runners...

Tighran fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Feb 17, 2016

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Tighran posted:

Are the internal frames for RGs largely pre-assembled? I found an RG Astray Red Frame at Barnes and Noble but it just looks a bit fiddly to me. I'd check out the RG MK-II except I'm probably going to get the MG MK-II from Build Fighters, so I'm thinking of trying out one of the RG GP-01 designs. Has anyone built those and are they solid models?

I also just finished Build Fighters Try and I want to make all the gunpla... The worst part is they reference an MG Quin Mantha in the show but as far as I can tell there never was any such kit or even an HG, just an SD. I've loved that design since playing Gundam Battle Assault 2 and would love to build a kit of it.

Also as an aside, what is P-Bandai? I've seen the term thrown around a few times and with seemingly negative connotations at times but don't know exactly what it means.

the quin mantha is too big to make an hg/mg of, unfortunately. P-bandai is Bandai's online shop where they sell things they don't expect will sell as much. the problem is you can only order from it in a few countries (japan, china and taiwan i think?), so if you wanna get something that's sold there you have to go through middlemen that usually hitch up the price.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Tighran posted:

The frames aren't pre-assembled as such, but the more intricate components are. The only one th at I've heard stories about being fiddly is the Zeta, but that's kinda to be expected from Zeta models. I've been working on the 00 Raiser and it's rock solid.

P-Bandai is Bandai's web exclusive store that doesn't sell to americans, so if you want anything from there it's marked up for being a web exclusive and then marked up again for being hard to get over here.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Not really 'gunpla' as such, but hey, expensive japanese plastic robots are expensive japanese plastic robots

https://twitter.com/OMiyaPF/status/692467908811841536

:swoon:

Tighran posted:

P-Bandai is their online premium web store thing. Basically it's their dumping ground for the limited appeal suits that require minor remolding or color modification. It's derided because fans who don't live in Japan have absolutely zero way to officially get their hands on them, so going through a third party is the only way. Also, every now and again, they release a huge fan favorite or amazing add-on pack (like the Tallgeese III or PG FA Unicorn set) as a P-Bandai kit, meaning that if you don't get it immediately, they'll be lost to time forever, short of paying out the rear end on ebay or praying a third party company does a remold.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

I sense someone talking about... GUNDAM!
Oh, what I'd give for a modern Dragonar kit.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Not really 'gunpla' as such, but hey, expensive japanese plastic robots are expensive japanese plastic robots

https://twitter.com/OMiyaPF/status/692467908811841536

:swoon:

P-Bandai is their online premium web store thing. Basically it's their dumping ground for the limited appeal suits that require minor remolding or color modification. It's derided because fans who don't live in Japan have absolutely zero way to officially get their hands on them, so going through a third party is the only way. Also, every now and again, they release a huge fan favorite or amazing add-on pack (like the Tallgeese III or PG FA Unicorn set) as a P-Bandai kit, meaning that if you don't get it immediately, they'll be lost to time forever, short of paying out the rear end on ebay or praying a third party company does a remold.

I don't know what that is but I need it in my life

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
It's a painted up RD Dragonar 1.

Also amongst RGs, the Red Frame's inner frame is particularly pre-assembled. I assume it's due to how it has the white parts done for you already.

EDIT: Also I like how there were three different explanations for what P-Bandai was, but none of you actually said what it stood for. :v:

For the record, it's Premium Bandai.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Feb 17, 2016

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Looks like it'll be about seven inches longer by the time it's done.

Jesus Christ.

That's what she said

Back on topic: After trying out just airbrushing on orange pearl enamel on the Qubeley accent parts, it looks about a billion times better. Only thing is that I can't for the life of me cut off excess masking fluid with an Xacto knife once it dries. The raised edges don't offer any bulwark at all.

Anyone got masking pointers? Am I looking at just Tamiya tape and cutting that, with a big degree of hope?

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

MJP posted:

That's what she said

Back on topic: After trying out just airbrushing on orange pearl enamel on the Qubeley accent parts, it looks about a billion times better. Only thing is that I can't for the life of me cut off excess masking fluid with an Xacto knife once it dries. The raised edges don't offer any bulwark at all.

Anyone got masking pointers? Am I looking at just Tamiya tape and cutting that, with a big degree of hope?

I used masking fluid a while back and even when I finally got it off, it lifted some paint that had spent a month curing before I masked it. Tape 4 lyfe.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

MJP posted:

Once you get hardcore into masking, you will learn what true tedium is like. There is no easy solution here, just break out the tape and get to work.

I've had good success with masking clear parts by covering them with sticky tack. You can also use the stickers provided as a pre-cut masking tape, but beware of sticker residue.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
why did i think putting on hundreds of tiny as gently caress stickers was going to be easy :negative:

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Kuvo posted:

why did i think putting on hundreds of tiny as gently caress stickers was going to be easy :negative:

Have we learned our lesson about buying a RG as our first Gunpla? :v:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I was actually going to quote you saying how easy it was and make a witty joke, but I figured you'd find out for yourself soon enough.

Anyway you don't have to put them all on. Just do the ones you think look cool.

Wibbleman
Apr 19, 2006

Fluffy doesn't want to be sacrificed

Kuvo posted:

For your next one. Line and sticker the major assemblies as you make it. I have a rg zeta that I still haven't got around to panel lining and stickers.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

P-Bandai

Dr.Tree
May 7, 2007

Sure there are goons in local government. But there are goons in national government too

TaurusOxford posted:

Have we learned our lesson about buying a RG as our first Gunpla? :v:

So you're saying doing a RG Zaku II for my second kit was a bad idea?

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I just finished my first rg and I really enjoyed it so I just bought another one today.

My first one was the mk II and it wasn't too bad except for the little cloth tubing. The stickers weren't too bad though. And now I just started the destiny gundam, because I thought the wings looked cool.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Why would you even expect them to release yet another MG Zaku II 2.0 for general release? We're buried in them as is.

Oh wait, it's something from The Origin. Never mind then.

Also the regular Crossbone X-2 got a web exclusive HG announced too. After both HG and RD just skipped right to the Custom, I was getting worried they forgot about the original. :toot:

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Feb 18, 2016

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Isn't this just the top of a Zaku on the legs and hips of a Dom?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

BizarroAzrael posted:

Isn't this just the top of a Zaku on the legs and hips of a Dom?

It's the Origin version of the prototype Dom thing from the first episode of 08th MS Team!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

You can make that in Gundam Breaker as well.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Any advice on how to avoid shooting the little plastic nubs away at the speed of light. If I clip away from the sprue to remove the piece and then clip once more near the part, that second clip often shoots the plastic bit away never to be seen again. I've tried angling the clip down towards the table but they still bounce away. I figure I'll end up vacuuming most of them up, but I worry about my dog eating the others.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jolo posted:

Any advice on how to avoid shooting the little plastic nubs away at the speed of light. If I clip away from the sprue to remove the piece and then clip once more near the part, that second clip often shoots the plastic bit away never to be seen again. I've tried angling the clip down towards the table but they still bounce away. I figure I'll end up vacuuming most of them up, but I worry about my dog eating the others.

My way is to just sit at a low coffee table when building them. Lower surface means lower potential arc for the little bastards to ping off at :eng101:.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
I want to build a Rick Dias, is the HGUC a good start or should I skip it and go for the master grade? My hobby shop has a few on sale (the HGUC, not the MG) and I'd love to build one

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE

Jolo posted:

You could always nip the nubs off inside a clear plastic bag too.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Ka0 posted:

I want to build a Rick Dias, is the HGUC a good start or should I skip it and go for the master grade? My hobby shop has a few on sale (the HGUC, not the MG) and I'd love to build one

The HGUC is pretty much the definition of "competent yet uninspired." You wouldn't hate it, probably.

The MG is a lot more fun, plus there are some fairly significant parts variations between the red & black versions.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Depressed myself doing this since theres no mg vayate and mercurious

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Marasai is and always will be my favorite.

Astro Creep
May 14, 2013

There's no time, hurry up!

Everything's so fantastic!
Haven't watched any of the new series, but these little guys are kinda cute!

Might use this to try some weathering, what's a good way to rough up the front legs? And should it be done before or after the basecoat?

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
I love the IBO drones a lot. but they're not very marketable.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Astro Creep posted:

Haven't watched any of the new series, but these little guys are kinda cute!

Might use this to try some weathering, what's a good way to rough up the front legs? And should it be done before or after the basecoat?

Word of warning about IBO, if you do decide to watch it - it's a good rule of thumb that the cuter the machine, the more nightmarish the context it's used in. That little mobile worker, for instance, in that particular green colour scheme? Shows up only once to (literally and metaphorically) break up striking workers with anti-tank weaponry.

As for the fat, cuddly green froggy suits you may have seen in online catalogues? Yeah, you... just don't want to know.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
loved the frogbots from the moment I first saw 'em

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Bimmi posted:

The HGUC is pretty much the definition of "competent yet uninspired." You wouldn't hate it, probably.

The MG is a lot more fun, plus there are some fairly significant parts variations between the red & black versions.

Is one technically better than the other? i recall the red being slightly more interesting, but it's been a while since I've looked.

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

Jolo posted:

Instead of holding the runner when you clip the last gate, hold the piece you're cutting out instead, it's not like the entire runner can fly away

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bimmi posted:

I love the IBO drones a lot. but they're not very marketable.

Those aren't drones, they're one-man Tanks. Tanks that can also work in space :allears:. I quite like that Bandai toss a version into each of the option packs, even if they do need to be painted to look good due to their size/plastic budget of the pack.

Astro Creep
May 14, 2013

There's no time, hurry up!

Everything's so fantastic!

Darth Walrus posted:

Word of warning about IBO, if you do decide to watch it - it's a good rule of thumb that the cuter the machine, the more nightmarish the context it's used in. That little mobile worker, for instance, in that particular green colour scheme? Shows up only once to (literally and metaphorically) break up striking workers with anti-tank weaponry.

As for the fat, cuddly green froggy suits you may have seen in online catalogues? Yeah, you... just don't want to know.

N-no.....
Frogbots are friends.... that hammer is just used for giant robot golf! It's true if I believe it hard enough! Don't ruin this for me!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Those aren't drones, they're one-man Tanks. Tanks that can also work in space :allears:. I quite like that Bandai toss a version into each of the option packs, even if they do need to be painted to look good due to their size/plastic budget of the pack.

I really wish they would've thrown in a few of the missile pods some of 'em use along with the included shields. I honestly thought the upper half of the tank was some sort of detachable drone at first, they look an awful lot like thrusters/wings.

Astro Creep fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Feb 19, 2016

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

DamnGlitch posted:

Depressed myself doing this since theres no mg vayate and mercurious

No MG Serpent or Virgo either :(

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

never talk to me or my daughter again

Adbot