Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

rip wildstar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

CLAM DOWN posted:

rip wildstar

I'm the logo they can't fit on the bars even after magnifying them by 10 so they don't look immediately awful next to everything else

Totbot
Oct 4, 2013
I've bought, played, and regretted a lot of MMOs over the past decade.

Wildstar is one of my few wins because I never touched it. As soon as I read that the focus would be on 40 man raids and long attunements, I stopped reading. No amount of pre-release MMO hype could make me look past that.

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.

Totbot posted:

I've bought, played, and regretted a lot of MMOs over the past decade.

Wildstar is one of my few wins because I never touched it. As soon as I read that the focus would be on 40 man raids and long attunements, I stopped reading. No amount of pre-release MMO hype could make me look past that.

You should drop by ANet headquarters, they're about due for some more cupcakes.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
With fractals, so long as the choice is run three 10 minute fractals and get your daily done or run one half hour fractal that your group might not be able to handle at the end and quit (cliffside, dredge) swamp is going to remain the only thing being run unless they are about on the same 10-15 minute timescale to get done.

The fact there is no trash you have to clear with all the annoying high level fractal modifiers like no dodging and random conditions when hit is a big bonus to swamp.

On the topic of fractals, it was kinda a dick move to make ascended gear more important with the introduction of raids, and at the same time make ascended WAY more expensive to craft and lowering ascended droprates by a ton, you used to get lots of chests from fractals but now you'll get about 0-2 ascended chests every 20 or so lvl 50-100 fractal dailies done.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Feb 17, 2016

J3ng4
Nov 22, 2006

Bitches love my tool time

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Anet does so much right when it comes to how guildwars runs, like 0 patching downtime, but they are the slowest modern game I've ever seen when it comes to bringing out patches and new content or just fixing old content.

They had a really good pace going for Season 1, I didn't mind having a bunch of things to do every 2 weeks. Then Season 2 came out and it was enhanced so you can do the content on your own time but it was still decent pace. I think we are in Season 3 now? Whatever it is its been months now and they haven't even mentioned the Story content, or any update stuff in a long time. Their living world was some of the cooler part of the game because it brings people back every once in a while to try new stuff out. Now the content is a bit stale and we are most likely waiting til April before we get something and we don't even know what it may be. They could at least tease stuff or have small "Coming soon!" blogs like they did with HoT launch. It brings up discussion at the very least and drums up some sort of hype. This is how a lot of other MMOs get people to advertise their game for them but ArenaNet seems to like to keep everything under lock and key for some fear of backlash. Have they been burned by it in the past or something that I don't remember? Backlash sometimes means that you can listen to your outraged playerbase before making game modes obsolete for no reason.

I love Guild Wars 2, hell I've been playing since beta and still login to play several times a week. I don't even have more than two characters with full elite specs! I just think they had a great pace of new content that hasn't shown itself in a while. If they get back on track a lot of people would be happier.

On a side note, was there an actual demand for raids? I know people wanted challenging group content but throw some harder fractals and dungeons (like Aetherpath) and you have content that people can enjoy in small chunks.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

J3ng4 posted:

On a side note, was there an actual demand for raids? I know people wanted challenging group content but throw some harder fractals and dungeons (like Aetherpath) and you have content that people can enjoy in small chunks.

Only a tiny vocal minority wanted raids, and surprise surprise only a tiny minority do them. Anet seems to be too thickheaded to know from other MMOs that you can't cater to that kind of player since they'll never be fully satisfied.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

J3ng4 posted:

Their living world was some of the cooler part of the game

You know people are desperate for content when they start saying things like this.

J3ng4
Nov 22, 2006

Bitches love my tool time

Vargs posted:

You know people are desperate for content when they start saying things like this.

I stand by that statement. It was different enough from other games and it made me feel like my character was part of the world instead of some dude helping villagers slaughter centaur. Some of the writing was bad and some of the characters were a bit ridiculous but the majority of it at least kept me wanting more. I wouldn't like to nail sign posts in for 2 weeks again but the last part of Season 2 was pretty cool, especially doing some of the achievements with friends.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I think swamp is so popular because you can finish it so drat fast and with any game that's been out as long as GW2 has, most people are just going to take the road less traveled so to speak, if they want to get something done they just wanna knock it out as fast as possible, I mean poo poo, either with goons or pugging, I don't recall any dungeon path taking more than 20 minutes or so, people just had them down to a science.

Personally I'd like to see a re-tread of old content, outside of messing with builds here and there or wrapping up my last elite specs I have little incentive to log in, like not even the log in rewards interest me anymore since I only wanted it for the tomes and I don't really care about leveling anymore alts, largely because of the elite specs.

As for raid numbers I would assume most people go off raid numbers in other titles and the majority of the playerbase tends not to do them, personally I'd like to try the raid someday but I don't know if I wanna deal with the whole, stand here, do this, don't do that, oh no you stood in the thing its a wipe, I get confused enough as it is with the Destiny raids and that's baby poo poo.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Don did you do the raid yet?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Season 2 of the story was pretty good content and it changed things up a bit and had some challenging achievements, but it ended rather abruptly with a "BUY THE EXPANSION" not that long into it, I was looking forward to more.

The raid isn't actually all that hard, but the problem is there are tons of people that don't know how or don't bother to learn their characters or mechanics in the slightest, so you'll end up people that make the boss impossible either by none existent dps or absolutely no pattern recognition wiping the raid in the exact same way multiple times who will either fail it until they get kicked or they make everyone else leave in mass.

The raid content is one part pattern recognition and keeping track of when the bosses ability is coming out before it comes out and one part people knowing how to get the most out of their class and not having more toughness then the tank for some reason or a phalanx warrior that can only keep up 8 stacks of might and I've seen more then enough full nomads guardians and it never ends well with them.

One benefit of the raid is it forces people to learn how to optimize their characters if they want in and to succeed which in turn is making world bosses melt much faster because it's decreasing the amount of deadweight full soldier/nomad players for those that actually want to improve and overcome a challenge they can't afk autoattack.

knowonecanknow
Apr 19, 2009

Ambition must be made to counteract ambition.
Is there a Raid for Dummies guide yet?

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I have to say, "learn how to optimize their character" cracks me up. Just drop the pretense and say "copy min-max builds from metabattle" because everyone who didn't care about their performance before is probably not going to do research in order to game harder. Also part of that responsibility is on Anet for providing a myriad of completely imbalanced ways to build a character, then making a raid for one tiny fraction of those builds (standard practice for raid-centric MMOs, I know, but not everyone has experience with that), while not providing sufficient performance information in game (DPS meters are evil etc.).

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

The raid isn't actually all that hard, but the problem is there are tons of people that don't know how or don't bother to learn their characters or mechanics in the slightest, so you'll end up people that make the boss impossible either by none existent dps or absolutely no pattern recognition wiping the raid in the exact same way multiple times who will either fail it until they get kicked or they make everyone else leave in mass.

The raid content is one part pattern recognition and keeping track of when the bosses ability is coming out before it comes out and one part people knowing how to get the most out of their class and not having more toughness then the tank for some reason or a phalanx warrior that can only keep up 8 stacks of might and I've seen more then enough full nomads guardians and it never ends well with them.

One benefit of the raid is it forces people to learn how to optimize their characters if they want in and to succeed which in turn is making world bosses melt much faster because it's decreasing the amount of deadweight full soldier/nomad players for those that actually want to improve and overcome a challenge they can't afk autoattack.

Is this from dnt's secret raid forums

Probad
Feb 24, 2013

I want to believe!

CLAM DOWN posted:

Is this from dnt's secret raid forums

I thought it was from our secret raid forums

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Probad posted:

I thought it was from our secret raid forums

That one is just full of anime and Tacitus' erotic fanfics

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time

knowonecanknow posted:

Is there a Raid for Dummies guide yet?

This is my brief guide to raids, there's a lot to take in. Good bomb discipline from multiple people, AOE circles that don't lie, pro-tier tempest downstate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-iGATXLE1g

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.

orcane posted:

I have to say, "learn how to optimize their character" cracks me up. Just drop the pretense and say "copy min-max builds from metabattle"

This would be an acceptable end result of raids.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

orcane posted:

Also part of that responsibility is on Anet for providing a myriad of completely imbalanced ways to build a character, then making a raid for one tiny fraction of those builds (standard practice for raid-centric MMOs, I know, but not everyone has experience with that), while not providing sufficient performance information in game (DPS meters are evil etc.).

I'll agree with Anet being at fault in the design, a couple dozen different stat combinations with only 2-3 being viable is largely a trap for the uninformed, and with no dps meters quite a few raids fail because there is no way to tell whose dps is way below average and bringing the whole group down because even if they copy a metabattle build and gear they still might not know how to actually play it well.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

CLAM DOWN posted:

That one is just full of anime and Tacitus' erotic fanfics
Wait, that's the secret forum? I thought that was just all of the forums.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Its just frustrating to do the raids since big surprise, unless you already have a regular group of 10, you spend more time organizing than actually doing the raid.

Dont even get me started on the zerker gear "requirement" (I know there are other sets you can bring) and then have someone go "nah zerker is overrated I'm bringing full celestial! :downs:"

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Celestial owns and zhulik is a very pretty boy

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Xun posted:

Its just frustrating to do the raids since big surprise, unless you already have a regular group of 10, you spend more time organizing than actually doing the raid.

Dont even get me started on the zerker gear "requirement" (I know there are other sets you can bring) and then have someone go "nah zerker is overrated I'm bringing full celestial! :downs:"

Celestial is at least as good if not better than the equivalent blue zerker piece. :colbert:

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
Celestial has all you need including magic find, they tried removing mf by hiding the stat a few years ago but if you put some on you'll see your bonus go up.

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Some things can't be unseen

J3ng4 posted:

I'm one of the people who didn't give a poo poo about raids, but now clear it once or twice a week. If you're interested talk about it in gchat about an hour after reset and the secret raid guild's leader (we are forbidden from speaking his name) will approach you.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde

J3ng4 posted:

Not really, some fat nerd said something about challenging content at a con and embarrassed some people or something. Aetherpath is the reason they gave for never making a new dungeon, it was too hard for the player base and gave poo poo rewards so people stopped doing it. Sound familiar?

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

J3ng4 posted:

I always thought the inclusion of dungeons at all was a mistake. Just because some of them are really interesting and well designed, like Fractals, doesn't mean they belong in this game.

GW2 is designed from the ground up to be fast and loose, which is GREAT when it comes to stuff with lots of participation, such as world quests/events, holidays, or WvWvW. Your class, spec, gear, level, none of it really mattered, you just threw yourself into something happening where you were, going with the flow of the quests or the crowds of other players.

But smaller instanced content always felt so forced, like they had no way to balance how loosey goosey combat was, so for a challenge they just have the enemies do massive damage and be HP sponges, turning fights into kiting or cheese fests.

I cannot articulate how disappointed I was that Zhaitan was just a 5 man dungeon on release, only for the Southsun Cove event to happen 2 months later. A huge event lasting hours in which you traverse a whole island, pushing back enemies in a epic chain with hundreds of other players, eventually scaling a huge spiral structure to defeat the immense dangerous threat of......crabs!....

But who knows, maybe raids will work where dungeons didn't since GW2 works better in larger groups.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Monomythian posted:

I always thought the inclusion of dungeons at all was a mistake. Just because some of them are really interesting and well designed, like Fractals, doesn't mean they belong in this game.

GW2 is designed from the ground up to be fast and loose, which is GREAT when it comes to stuff with lots of participation, such as world quests/events, holidays, or WvWvW. Your class, spec, gear, level, none of it really mattered, you just threw yourself into something happening where you were, going with the flow of the quests or the crowds of other players.

But smaller instanced content always felt so forced, like they had no way to balance how loosey goosey combat was, so for a challenge they just have the enemies do massive damage and be HP sponges, turning fights into kiting or cheese fests.

I cannot articulate how disappointed I was that Zhaitan was just a 5 man dungeon on release, only for the Southsun Cove event to happen 2 months later. A huge event lasting hours in which you traverse a whole island, pushing back enemies in a epic chain with hundreds of other players, eventually scaling a huge spiral structure to defeat the immense dangerous threat of......crabs!....

But who knows, maybe raids will work where dungeons didn't since GW2 works better in larger groups.

I think dungeons and fractals are a lot more fun than mashing 1 in a zerg where "nothing really matters".

Vargs fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Feb 18, 2016

jjac
Jun 12, 2007

What time is it?!

Large zergs are fun because they're less demanding on a by-person basis, as long as there are enough warm bodies and commanders to guide belch out instructions at the start for everyone else thing are golden.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

dungeons were fun and challenging at launch. im sure by now there are cheese strats for everything but i liked them aside from the whole "why take anything other than a warrior" thing

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
I just did Triple Trouble and had fun. v0v

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Thanks nilgoow m8 for letting us know, I was worried

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

Thanks nilgoow m8 for letting us know, I was worried

yw

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

I still miss dungeons a lot. I know they had problems and we exploited them to hell and back but they were always some pretty neat content that we could take new players through. That and they were great for levelling alts.

I miss a lot of stuff about pre-HoT GW2 now that I think about it.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Vargs posted:

I think dungeons and fractals are a lot more fun than mashing 1 in a zerg where "nothing really matters".

Yeah, so do I, I'm trying to say that despite how good some of the dungeons are and no matter how much I like dungeons or raids, the combat mechanics of GW2 just don't lend themselves well to it.

When the mechanics and content are designed around shared, no pressure, scaling participation you gotta wonder if they just put instanced dungeons in because that's just what MMOs do. Let alone put the main boss villain of the game in one when it obviously would have made more sense as a major zone event in the Ruins of Orr.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky
I unironically like playing this video game in a multitude of ways

quote:

When the mechanics and content are designed around shared, no pressure, scaling participation you gotta wonder if they just put instanced dungeons in because that's just what MMOs do. Let alone put the main boss villain of the game in one when it obviously would have made more sense as a major zone event in the Ruins of Orr.

I honestly wouldn't mind if they popped in a new zone in Orr where you go in as a group* and finish off all oh Zhaitan's heads, I think that could be neat. Because gently caress is his character design loving awesome and I want more of him

*either a 1 boss raid or a zone event like mordremouth

Spooky Bear Ghost fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Feb 18, 2016

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Spooky Bear Ghost posted:

I unironically like playing this video game in a multitude of ways

watch yourself m8

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003

Visidan posted:

Aetherpath...it was too hard...

I, too, find sitting through unskippable cutscenes hard. Other than that, it's pretty easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
I didn't find it hard either but that's what ANET said after looking at player metrics and firing the dungeon team.

• Locked thread