Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Azran posted:

You guys saw the post about the newest character class over on the main site, right?

http://www.darkestdungeon.com/the-antiquarian/

Antiquarian has a really cool looking character design but boy I have serious reservations about bringing a combat-ineffective character to a high-level dungeon. I get the feeling like she's going to be sort of tolerable at low level but once she hits level 5 (or maybe even 3) she becomes an unusable albatross that is just going to get fired to free up space for actually deadly classes. That's aside from the question whether whatever mechanic she has that increases dungeon profitability increases it enough to justify paying for her gear and skills. Upgrading the equipment and skills for a single high level character costs well over 100,000 gold. She's going to have to pull in much more than that to not only pay for her own upkeep but also to justify the increased risk to the other characters carrying her through the dungeons.

I guess we'll have to wait for the actual mechanics to see if that's true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Well hey, don't fret, there's always custom classes! Let's just click on over here to :nexus: and...

...You know what, nevermind.

Mzbundifund posted:

Antiquarian has a really cool looking character design but boy I have serious reservations about bringing a combat-ineffective character to a high-level dungeon. I get the feeling like she's going to be sort of tolerable at low level but once she hits level 5 (or maybe even 3) she becomes an unusable albatross that is just going to get fired to free up space for actually deadly classes. That's aside from the question whether whatever mechanic she has that increases dungeon profitability increases it enough to justify paying for her gear and skills. Upgrading the equipment and skills for a single high level character costs well over 100,000 gold. She's going to have to pull in much more than that to not only pay for her own upkeep but also to justify the increased risk to the other characters carrying her through the dungeons.

I guess we'll have to wait for the actual mechanics to see if that's true.
My reservations mostly run along the lines that as of last week Red Hook had no idea what her abilities were even going to be outside of the general concept reiterated in the post and so I have no idea what she's going to do and how she's going to do it and I'm not sure the designers do either. They were responding to spitballed mechanic concepts in a stream as if the ideas were as good as anything else they could've come up with (someone suggested a move that forces another character to Guard her, which they responded positively toward).

This is for an update that's supposed to go out in like two weeks, and the guy drawing the character has put much more thought and work into her than the guys designing her mechanics. Considering how fiddly it is to design new classes in the first place I'd certainly consider it reasonable to be a bit concerned about the implementation. Doubly so when it's a character with an unusual role.

Nakar fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Feb 17, 2016

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Nakar posted:

Well hey, don't fret, there's always custom classes! Let's just click on over here to :nexus: and...

...You know what, nevermind.

Now I'm going to have to click that out of sheer curiousity.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
God damnit. God damnit. http://www.nexusmods.com/darkestdungeon/mods/18/

God damnit.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
I hope she at least brings some kind of stuns or healing if she isn't going to have any damage. Making her focused fully on utility (but not dealing damage), sort of like a super plague doctor (all cc and healing, no damaging affects)

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
How Gygaxian !

:smugwizard:

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Mzbundifund posted:

Antiquarian has a really cool looking character design but boy I have serious reservations about bringing a combat-ineffective character to a high-level dungeon.

Plenty of people do this already when they pick Jester for a non-Abomination team, ha ha

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

How Rude posted:

I hope she at least brings some kind of stuns or healing if she isn't going to have any damage. Making her focused fully on utility (but not dealing damage), sort of like a super plague doctor (all cc and healing, no damaging affects)

The developers were talking about a reverse guard move where she forces a party member of her choice to defend her.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

MinibarMatchman posted:

Plenty of people do this already when they pick Jester for a non-Abomination team, ha ha

Battle ballad and anti-stress is good enough that it doesn't matter imo

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
What the gently caress exactly is happening in Jester's Finale move?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Beyond sane knolls posted:

What the gently caress exactly is happening in Jester's Finale move?

It's the prestige, friend

You see, the jester is a MAGICIAN

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

Coolguye posted:

It's the prestige, friend

You see, the jester is a MAGICIAN

I don't believe you but now I want David Bowie Tesla as a character in this. Shooting lightning and making instant clones of teammates that gently caress with everyone's stress levels and go crazy if you let them live to long.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

I don't believe you but now I want David Bowie Tesla as a character in this. Shooting lightning and making instant clones of teammates that gently caress with everyone's stress levels and go crazy if you let them live to long.

It makes me happy that you got that movie reference

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

lmao

seamlessly integrated into the existing game

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
so

those white blood cells, huh

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
The concept of a stress management class is pretty good, and I can just about stretch to "Harlot" due to DD being grim dark as gently caress, but yeah. That implementation...leaves a lot to be desired.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Captain Invictus posted:

so

those white blood cells, huh

Yup. The progress in the fight with the mammoth cyst is supposed to be saved though, so if you can get back to that same cyst you can finish the fight.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

poptart_fairy posted:

The concept of a stress management class is pretty good, and I can just about stretch to "Harlot" due to DD being grim dark as gently caress, but yeah. That implementation...leaves a lot to be desired.

not only do the jester and houndmaster already exist, but "Harlot" is a pretty loving skeezy.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Mid-combat Blowjob: -15 Stress, 30% chance of Blight 3pt/turn

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Snak posted:

not only do the jester and houndmaster already exist, but "Harlot" is a pretty loving skeezy.

Hence "just about stretch to", rather than "slavishly accept and defend".

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
Even though I love the word Harlot, I'd rather see a Sex Therapist class. You could lightly reskin the scary gnome woman from the weald to look more like Dr Ruth and you'd be golden.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Kly posted:

Yup. The progress in the fight with the mammoth cyst is supposed to be saved though, so if you can get back to that same cyst you can finish the fight.
I beat the mission already, fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, I deserve to be shoved into some rear end end of the map

The cysts are a pain in the butt and would not stop going after my vestal, but once again bolster spam every turn combined with camp buffs resulted in most of its attacks missing. And of course as I beat the cyst in the locus room, the cell was able to teleport me out when it had 2 health left and dodged 3 attacks in a row. Luckily it kicked me over to the room I was first teleported to so it was just a matter of retracing the steps.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Even though I love the word Harlot, I'd rather see a Sex Therapist class. You could lightly reskin the scary gnome woman from the weald to look more like Dr Ruth and you'd be golden.

Just use Wilburt's skin and animations. Leave all gender references ambiguous.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

poptart_fairy posted:

Yeah I'm just listing my opinion alongside yours. I get the logic.

It probably could even be implemented in a good way. Base all her abilities on being observant, shrewd, a good listener, and a high tolerance for stress. If none of her abilities are directly sexual in nature, because she's not being hired as a prostitute, but like all the other professions, simple is one who has come to fight monsters, it could work.

I would really like to see a character that has the ability to move an ally. That would be invaluable in a support class.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Snak posted:

I would really like to see a character that has the ability to move an ally. That would be invaluable in a support class.

I've been fooling around with this in mods but it's kind of janky. AFAIK the engine doesn't really support the notion of a beneficial move effect; you can give a push/pull ability with a high enough proc rate to automatically overcome move resistance, but you wind up with the recipient yelling SUCH STAGGERING FORCE etc. when their buddy moves them around.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Gabriel Pope posted:

I've been fooling around with this in mods but it's kind of janky. AFAIK the engine doesn't really support the notion of a beneficial move effect; you can give a push/pull ability with a high enough proc rate to automatically overcome move resistance, but you wind up with the recipient yelling SUCH STAGGERING FORCE etc. when their buddy moves them around.

That makes sense. Can it be set up some other way? Like I've noticed there are some affliction effects where a character will move on its own and then still get to take an action. Could a similar mechanism be used?

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

poptart_fairy posted:

Just use Wilburt's skin and animations. Leave all gender references ambiguous.

Every ability has a chance to cure the affliction "misses the spot".

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Gabriel Pope posted:

The biggest weakness with friendly move effects is you can't choose where to move them to. Unless you want to squander all your ability slots on things that move characters forward two, forward one, back two, back one, etc, you're really not getting a lot of extra options with your move powers.

Yelling about staggering force is pretty funny though and I'm ok with it.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Nah. Just one ability that let you move an ally 1 space forward would be pretty powerful. Since every move actually moves two characters, you can use this to move any character forward or backward one.

It's not like you'd have a character whose whole job was to move other party members.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Miron so fat move skills move the rest of the party around him

Pistol Packin Poet
Nov 5, 2012

Everyone needs an
escape goat!
I legit hit the level 3 wall thinking I could just rush a boss at level 3. Nope!

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Snak posted:

Nah. Just one ability that let you move an ally 1 space forward would be pretty powerful. Since every move actually moves two characters, you can use this to move any character forward or backward one.

It's not like you'd have a character whose whole job was to move other party members.

Yeah that's true, I was just thinking that the move skill would come with a heal or a buff or something so you aren't using your entire turn just moving a guy, in which case a move forward + move backward skill would be different depending on who you wanted to target with the buff.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Mzbundifund posted:

Yeah that's true, I was just thinking that the move skill would come with a heal or a buff or something so you aren't using your entire turn just moving a guy, in which case a move forward + move backward skill would be different depending on who you wanted to target with the buff.

I was thinking it would come with a stress heal and be called something like "Encouragement". Lowering stress by something small, like 2-5 and moving the character forward one. Since it's a support role, it's totally worth "wasting" your turn just moving your Leper or Hellion back into position.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Something has been bothering me lately.

The Ancestor. Not actually an old man, but Zoidberg?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Mzbundifund posted:

If you want to get fancy you could have the targeted move be a rider on a buff/heal skill that either targeted the user or targeted the entire party. That way you get a theoretically-useful benefit regardless of who you're targeting. Personally I don't really see too much issue with a plain targeted heal/buff+move power as long as the heal/buff component was good enough. The value of a move is always going to be pretty situational, but ultimately I don't think most characters are that picky about positioning: most characters either really want to move forward or really want to move backward, and the characters that prefer the middle usually either have flexible enough positioning that they can live with getting jostled or else can reposition themselves anyhow.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

Node posted:

Something to think about as you make your way through the darkest dungeon...

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Node posted:

Why not Zoidberg? The tentacles almost make sense now. :zoid:

poptart_fairy posted:

A harlot class could come in handy. A sad kind of of handy that doesn't really fit the game.

REVENGE! A Pyrrhic victory, but a victory. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlFFr68Linw

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

I'm sure someone has posted this before, but Jester/Abomination/Abomination/Bounty Hunter is one of the most :black101: parties I've ever run. Nobody on the enemy side gets a turn and everyone ends the fight happier than they started.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Azran posted:

You guys saw the post about the newest character class over on the main site, right?

http://www.darkestdungeon.com/the-antiquarian/

I like this way more than I was imagining the "merchant" class. It looks like another take on the Occultist almost, but the class focus is very unique still. Love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Zombie Samurai posted:

I'm sure someone has posted this before, but Jester/Abomination/Abomination/Bounty Hunter is one of the most :black101: parties I've ever run. Nobody on the enemy side gets a turn and everyone ends the fight happier than they started.

Right now my absolute favorite combo is Plague Doctor/Occultist/Grave Robber/Bounty Hunter for pretty much the same reason.

So many crits. So many.