Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Diet Poison posted:

like those guys supposedly from DHS- who the gently caress were they? Good thing we never had to see them again!?

I thought they were more suicidal Muslims just pretending to be DHS agents so they could get the body and prevent the FBI from talking to him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Jack Gladney posted:

X-Files has such a long history of doing offensive poo poo with other cultures, though, like stupidly gross ugly poo poo. But you know it's because they're so loving tone-deaf that they have no idea what they're doing and you kind of expect it and there's no real malice. It's like seeing that your kid has drawn all over the wall with a crayon.

Chris Carter is almost 60 goddamn years old. He can't be that stupid.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Decent season so far. Laughed my rear end off at the magic mushroom trip sequence.

Sammus posted:

I thought they were more suicidal Muslims just pretending to be DHS agents so they could get the body and prevent the FBI from talking to him.

That's what I assumed as well.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

CelticPredator posted:

Chris Carter is almost 60 goddamn years old. He can't be that stupid.

he actually believes some of the stuff he puts on the show

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Jack Gladney posted:

X-Files has such a long history of doing offensive poo poo with other cultures, though, like stupidly gross ugly poo poo. But you know it's because they're so loving tone-deaf that they have no idea what they're doing and you kind of expect it and there's no real malice. It's like seeing that your kid has drawn all over the wall with a crayon.

The Native American poo poo they do in the first few seasons always cracks me up. Chris Carter has this weird and almost offensive fascination with their culture, but his portrayal of it is uhh just a bit stereotypical.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Has there ever been a backdoor pilot that hasn't been hot garbage? Supernatural tried the same thing a couple seasons ago and it was also one of the worst episodes of the entire series.

inignot posted:

Shrooms Mulder was worth the rest of the episode.

CelticPredator posted:

No it really wasn't.

Seriously, it wasn't even that good of a drug trip. Ignoring how terrible the effects were it was like babby's first dream sequence. Mulder even still looked bored throughout the thing, which is a shame because actors going hog wild is one of the best parts of drug trips.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LJTMAATGZo

computer parts posted:

On Season 3, the Cockroach episode: Ebola was a popular "scary disease" even back 20 years ago.

That episode came out a year after The Hot Zone, which is largely attributed to creating Ebola's place in pop culture as a scary diseas.

meatpath
Feb 13, 2003

Obviously we'll see what happens next week, but I don't even feel like there has been anything substantial added to the mytharc at all with this series. As sloppy as seasons 6-9 were, at least they sort of tried to continue a storyline that started early on. Other than some references to William, what exactly new/tangible have we learned about the "canon" of the mythology? Something something Fox news guy, military UFO for a few seconds, old man saying you're close this time Mulder. But nothing else really? Alien DNA?

I recently went back and watched the Anasazi trilogy of episodes, which is brilliant. They flow well, they move the story line while leaving enough mystery to make you want to know more. I guess I need to go back and watch the opener of this series to distil it a bit, but I don't want to subject myself to that again.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Mortanis posted:

I get hate. It just baffles me when people crank that up to 11 with some need to out do everyone else. It's not just "hate", it's a vitriolic, aggressive making GBS threads. Things can't just be "bad", they have to be the worst thing ever and it hosed your childhood dog and then shot it in front of you. I totally get seriously disliking something but the responses go far, far beyond that.

Well sure I guess if you only see everything in binary measures and are the type of person who tells the internet they're not worth your posts there are most definitely not some very fair criticisms of the episode's negative points in the thread, but if you're a normal human being there might be some grains of validity you can sift through.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Mange Mite posted:

Only if it includes a new generation of Lone Gunmen that are younger and much, much fatter

Lone Goon-Men

This is The Raid for me. What, you don't martial arts your way through a gangster fortress every day?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

68k posted:

Obviously we'll see what happens next week, but I don't even feel like there has been anything substantial added to the mytharc at all with this series.

Cancer Man got sunburned by a direct hit from Hellfire missiles? Must be all the Morleys.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Sleeveless posted:

Has there ever been a backdoor pilot that hasn't been hot garbage?

I liked the private eye in House that was originally gonna get his own show on Fox. But then they brought him back after that show got canned and he was poo poo.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

CelticPredator posted:

It's extremely offensive and fuels the already seething hatred of muslims. There is very little in this episode that makes a case that "Most Muslims aren't suicide bomber terrorists."

It was a very dumb thing to do. Especially today.

I know. In this day and age, it's extremely unlikely that a suicide bomber would ever be Muslim. Just ask all the people who have encountered suicide bombers over the past year, especially in the Middle East and Asia.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.
I really feel bad. I missed the Lone Gunmen the first time around. I saw them again, and felt sad that this was the only time they will be in the revival. If CSM can survive certain death, have them still be alive, Mulder thought they had died, and they were like "nope, still alive".

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

PBS Newshour posted:

I mean people were so loving hard on that new season of Arrested Development despite it actually being the best it ever was.

No it wasn't. The brilliance of Arrested Development was the interaction between the entire family and how all of their escapades intertwined. You can make the case that making each episode only featuring 1 or 2 characters in a timeline that is concurrent is a meta thing along that same line, but each individual episode loses that magic. Yes it was due to work schedules, but maybe that means it shouldn't have been done if it wasn't important enough for the cast to all be available at the same time.

There's no extenuating circumstances like that here, though. This episode was just straight trash. The other episodes have been fine, except that the pop culture references are really forced and badly written.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

PassTheRemote posted:

I really feel bad. I missed the Lone Gunmen the first time around. I saw them again, and felt sad that this was the only time they will be in the revival. If CSM can survive certain death, have them still be alive, Mulder thought they had died, and they were like "nope, still alive".

The Lone Gunmen were crazy goony bastards that went out as mothafukkin heroes. To have them pop up like "lolnope, totally secretly alive this whole time" would have completely undermined that. The way they were used in the episode was horrible, but that would have been really bad too.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
The Lone Gunmen apparently were/are still alive in the continuation comics, which were written in part by Chris Carter, so I wouldn't rule out them being secretly alive especially if more episodes happen past this mini season.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Astroman posted:

I know. In this day and age, it's extremely unlikely that a suicide bomber would ever be Muslim. Just ask all the people who have encountered suicide bombers over the past year, especially in the Middle East and Asia.

Hey yeah. And also, it's really cool and good to make people racist and fearful towards a race because of something a minority does elsewhere.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

CelticPredator posted:

Hey yeah. And also, it's really cool and good to make people racist and fearful towards a race because of something a minority does elsewhere.

Especially in the episode asking where hate comes from and supposing it's subconscious suggestion and propaganda

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Astroman posted:

Most mass shooters and domestic terrorists in America are white right-wing nut jobs and they had no problem having the white right-wing nutjob in the first episode go completely against expectations and be one of the best parts of the episode in the process.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Nail Rat posted:

No it wasn't. The brilliance of Arrested Development was the interaction between the entire family and how all of their escapades intertwined. You can make the case that making each episode only featuring 1 or 2 characters in a timeline that is concurrent is a meta thing along that same line, but each individual episode loses that magic. Yes it was due to work schedules, but maybe that means it shouldn't have been done if it wasn't important enough for the cast to all be available at the same time.

It was so loving terrible. I had to go back and re-watch the first season to see how it "really was" and goddamn, I laughed harder in the first episode than I did the entire time in the new season. Plus Ron Howard just didnt shut the gently caress up and talked the entire time.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Sleeveless posted:

Has there ever been a backdoor pilot that hasn't been hot garbage? Supernatural tried the same thing a couple seasons ago and it was also one of the worst episodes of the entire series.

Seriously, it wasn't even that good of a drug trip. Ignoring how terrible the effects were it was like babby's first dream sequence. Mulder even still looked bored throughout the thing, which is a shame because actors going hog wild is one of the best parts of drug trips.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LJTMAATGZo

That episode came out a year after The Hot Zone, which is largely attributed to creating Ebola's place in pop culture as a scary diseas.

Ither than the Lone Gunmen wasnt millenium also a backdoor? Or was that just a crossover?

Maybe The Jeffersons? Though that was more of a spin-off

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Astroman posted:

To be fair suicide bombings were originally invented by Zionists

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Ugh that episode was poo poo, and I don't really get what the hell it was trying to do.

This reboot's been loving frustrating. Nothing has been creepy or intriguing. Maybe founder's mutation a little.

Kind of feel like this small chance they were given would be a great time to show they could still scare people shitless and earn more time for the drama, they have a new generation they have to make care about this. Did old fans even want the kid back? I might be heartless and immature but I'm kind of tired of Scully crying: the series. Maybe next episode will change it up and be about Mulder crying.

Yes were-monster was good but if Darin Morgan is going to be the only writer who can write then there's not going to be another miniseries.

And yeah, I'd like there to be another miniseries where they just let new authors at it and just have them write about a skeptic and a paranoid investigating Mysterious Mysteries with demons, aliens, and mutants.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
The series should have started with Scully in Hollywood trying to track Fox/Hank down. Then finding him in bed with two 18 year olds amidst a pile of coke.

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.
What the gently caress was the latest episode.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Good god.

The first episode wasn't great, but it was inoffensive and at least felt like an old X-Files episode.

This was, just utterly atrocious, probably the worst television I have seen since the end of Dexter. The trip was kinda funny but then it went on for far too long and it was just like what was anyone making this episode thinking? If they seriously want to sell us a new TV show starring loving Miller and Einstein, man, if I were either of those actors I would've been loving embarrassed to be starring in this poo poo

How the gently caress did a television executive okay this script in 2016

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004
As a super casual watcher of X-Files in the 90's, I've loved all of these new episodes a lot. They have all been great to me and are better than a lot of other shows out right now. I think some of you are taking it way too seriously.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
Yo this latest episode was a very bad X-Files episode, but as has been said before, the whole revival was worth it because we got the Darin Morgan episode which ends up being one of the best all-time episodes of the X-Files.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

LoG posted:

As a super casual watcher of X-Files in the 90's, I've loved all of these new episodes a lot. They have all been great to me and are better than a lot of other shows out right now. I think some of you are taking it way too seriously.

I think you're taking it way too casually.

Sofia Coppola_OD_
Nov 1, 2004

only the second ep of the new season was worth anything and it wasn't even that good. the whole thing feels like a weird parody of x-files by someone not totally in on the joke. s10 mulder comes off with 0 authenticity. i could listen to one of those mulder waxing philosophical montage monologues for days from the old seasons, but they aren't even phoning it in with his character now. Scully is also basically just a prop for some crap emotional drama that no one wanted and shes not developing as a character at all. i can't imagine anyone being an apologist of really any of the new season, if you go back and watch even mediocre eps from seasons 2-6 you will be shocked at how much worse these ones are. they really shouldn't have made these eps because it just mars my memory of golden age tv and adds completely trash additional storylines to these characters that could have just been left alone.

at least scully and skinner aged well

meatpath
Feb 13, 2003

LoG posted:

I think some of you are taking it way too seriously.

Um excuse me, first of all,

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I stopped watching after the first two and I'm a huge X-Files fan. I might try to catch these in syndication at some point I guess but the first two were bad enough I don't have much desire to. I'll always have seasons 1 through 6 I guess.

Now I'm worried the Twin Peaks revival will suck :ohdear:. I have a lot more faith in Lynch than Carter though, and in fairness to Carter I think a lot of the problems with the new show stem from it being only 6 episodes and them trying way too hard to cram a ton of poo poo in there. If they had 12 or so I have a feeling it would be much better, but who knows I guess

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
One thing people are glossing over a lot is that it's silly to expect more of the same or even demanding something wholly original, considering that since the mid 90s everyone's constantly been trying to ape this show's formula to varying success. Spooky horror procedurals with overarching serial mythos were absolutely not a common thing on TV 20 years ago, and now look how prevalent it is - especially with those ramping up the serial aspect. It was a huge cultural phenomenon and paved the way for everything else of its kind (along with Twin Peaks) so if it doesn't feel quite like The X-Files, it probably shouldn't; it's been copied and imitated for 20 years. So of course it feels like a parody or imitation of itself sometimes. It's not just trying to follow itself, which is hard enough, it's trying to follow everything else it spawned or influenced. That's true of anything that comes back after so long and affected so many. You'll never quite capture that feeling again no matter how good you are because it was very much a product of its time. Hell, the whole first episode this season was the show catching up with itself and the times.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Ginette Reno posted:

I stopped watching after the first two and I'm a huge X-Files fan. I might try to catch these in syndication at some point I guess but the first two were bad enough I don't have much desire to. I'll always have seasons 1 through 6 I guess.

Now I'm worried the Twin Peaks revival will suck :ohdear:. I have a lot more faith in Lynch than Carter though, and in fairness to Carter I think a lot of the problems with the new show stem from it being only 6 episodes and them trying way too hard to cram a ton of poo poo in there. If they had 12 or so I have a feeling it would be much better, but who knows I guess

You should check out episode 3 at least, that's the one that everyone seems to agree was really good. Go ahead and quit after that though.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
At this point it is pretty clear why Chris Carter is the only one among the main x files writers to have no career post x files.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

joepinetree posted:

At this point it is pretty clear why Chris Carter is the only one among the main x files writers to have no career post x files.

You never know, until Breaking Bad happened Vince Gilligan's big non-X-Files achievement was Hancock :suicide:

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Sleeveless posted:

You never know, until Breaking Bad happened Vince Gilligan's big non-X-Files achievement was Hancock :suicide:

Which is one more achievement (in six years) than Chris Carter has had in 14 years.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

And he was trying that whole time. Ten Thirteen Productions had a website until like 2007 that advertised his failed attempt to make a movie about Ted Serios. Maybe since then he's just lived in a shack growing a beard like Mulder.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

LoG posted:

You're discounting the Serious Responsibility TeeVee executives and writers have to responsibly promote social justice and the rights of the downtrodden. With great Nielsen Ratings comes great responsibility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
they have a point, that one alien was actually fighting against racism

• Locked thread