Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Zotix posted:

The closest replacement is 5's. He does everything stormtrooper does, but better.

Well that's good cause I just unlocked him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Zotix posted:

The closest replacement is 5's. He does everything stormtrooper does, but better.

Except damage

commish
Sep 17, 2009

Sjonkel posted:

Which other games are you talking about here? GoH is my first game in this genre, and I'm enjoying it more than I thought. Haven't spent any money, and haven't felt the need to do so either. But if there are other similar (turn based) games out there that are better, I'd love to know.

If it's just the gameplay style you like, then there are tons. Heroes Charge, League of Angels, etc. From a pure gameplay perspective, Heroes Charge, for example, stomps GOH. But it's also been available for a far longer period.

Re: resistance pilot, I have him at 7 stars and he's boss. No complaints.

Re: arena, I am still losing all the time, despite having a max team. Their Poe goes first, I lose 2 or 3 characters before I move. There's just no way around this for me. I really wish they would just turn the damage down.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

QGJ <Lead>
GS
Sid
Lumi
Poggle

This squad would loving wreck shop at 70 7*, and I'd avoid fighting.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Ularg posted:

Don't underestimate First Order Storm Trooper. Since he was more easily farmable he's replaced FOTP for me. He has a ton of health, an armor buff and respectable damage. With his counter attacks he basically punishes you for attacking him as much as Dooku does.

Zotix posted:

FOST is terrible and you should stop investing resources into him. I'm sorry, but it's true.

Seconding this.

Are you rocking a full-tanky counter team with a Barris lead? (Barris, Kylo, 5's, FOST, Dooku)
edit: sidenote, this is a poo poo team comp strategy, don't do this.

No?

Then why do you give a poo poo about tanky characters? I like FOST just fine for gimicky bullshit with Phasma in PVE, but uh, he should definitely not be on anyone's A-List. He doesn't heal, he doesn't taunt, so that slot needs to be filled with a buffer/debuffer or a raw damage toon, of which there are many.

Damage:
Farmable:
IG-86
GS
Resistance Pilot
Luke
QGJ

HM Farmable:
Resistance Trooper
FOTP

Buffer/Debuffer:
Shop Farmable:
Poggle
Phasma
Sidious

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Feb 17, 2016

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005
The data mine says QGJ level 8 leader will be it works on everyone not just Jedi which will get stupid fast.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

It's true. It's not even a data mine. At maxed skill right now, the next stage does it. But that's at level 84 which is 2 level cap increases away.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Could anyone help me focus my efforts? Right now I'm working on QGJ from coins, Geo Soldier from cantina sims, Sidious from Arena and I don't know who to get from GW or hard sims (I've cleared to stage 5 on each side). I am hanging around rank 80 each day in Arena and I can clear GW every day. I have the makings of a good droid team since I bought the pack but I don't know if droids are worth it or if I should be working on other dudes. Thanks for any advice.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Is Dooku's level 7 basic still bugged to lower the repeat chance? I've been holding off on upping it.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

It's fixed

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

Syrinxx posted:

Could anyone help me focus my efforts? Right now I'm working on QGJ from coins, Geo Soldier from cantina sims, Sidious from Arena and I don't know who to get from GW or hard sims (I've cleared to stage 5 on each side). I am hanging around rank 80 each day in Arena and I can clear GW every day. I have the makings of a good droid team since I bought the pack but I don't know if droids are worth it or if I should be working on other dudes. Thanks for any advice.

I like Luminara as the first character from GW, and I advise against hard farming beyond the 5/day to get the daily activity.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Lumi from GW

for your 5th character... hrm...

I think Poe is still quite good even after the nerfs, so I'd recommend him, but he's going to compete with your QGJ farming.

I recommend at dooku from hard sims.

Droid teams are still pretty good, though, so if you want to pursue that,

farm IG86 shards from hard and cantina missions, Poggle from GW shards, HK-55 and IG-88 from Arena, and Poe from Cantina

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Feb 17, 2016

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Davethulhu posted:

I like Luminara as the first character from GW, and I advise against hard farming beyond the 5/day to get the daily activity.

I'd argue that if you're patient, doing hard stages for particular characters each day can be a good thing. Especially if you don't currently need a lot of gear and even more so now with the free little energy boosts.

I'm averaging 2-3 shards a day at a cost of 72 energy on Dooku and having been doing that for a couple of months now I'm working on getting him to 6 stars without having unlocked his Cantina battle yet. Where I'm at with gear, I haven't even been buying energy refills for normal energy and I'm still doing alright. I'm also maybe a week away from unlocking Rey.

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

Davethulhu posted:

I disagree on HM farming, especially now that we are getting an extra 135 energy per day, as long as you log in. First, you should farm every available instance of Rey (LS 2, DS 5+7) and FOTP (LS/DS 6), once you have access to those. These two characters can only be farmed here, and it will take you forever to get them to a usable point. Start asap, because they are the two hardest hitting heroes.
You should also be farming Old Daka daily (DS level 4). The only other place to farm her is Cantina Shipments, and those are super slow.
I've also started farming Resistance Trooper and Ewok Elder. These two are pretty awesome, and also can only be farmed in HM. They're actually both really underrated, in part because it will take you months to farm them. Fairly low priority, overall.
I did a bunch of farming for Dooku in HM, and that's probably worth it until you unlock his Cantina mission (level 69). He's pretty good, but because he has a cantina mission, I would put this as lower priority, but, it's one of the first HMs you unlock that's worth doing.

Also, I do think that as a brand new player, it's worth farming Chewie to 4, and JC to 5, although that can also be accomplished through Cantina Missions. JC at 5 is really, really nice, I still use him daily for GW, and he's also fairly important for farming Yoda, so, there's that.

All this said though, if you need to farm gear, replace a few HM missions to work on gear, but, some of these missions do drop important gear.

commish
Sep 17, 2009

Jibo posted:

I'd argue that if you're patient, doing hard stages for particular characters each day can be a good thing. Especially if you don't currently need a lot of gear and even more so now with the free little energy boosts.

I'm averaging 2-3 shards a day at a cost of 72 energy on Dooku and having been doing that for a couple of months now I'm working on getting him to 6 stars without having unlocked his Cantina battle yet. Where I'm at with gear, I haven't even been buying energy refills for normal energy and I'm still doing alright. I'm also maybe a week away from unlocking Rey.

I"m a fan of farming hard mode, to an extent. Right now I have a 5 star Rey solely through HM farming each day. My Barriss is also 6 star from hard mode farming. I think this event showed us that they are going to dig deep to make each character useful or needed for something, and since it takes so long to farm (months), I think it's helpful to start a bit each day. That said, I wouldn't go crazy. I just pick a handful and farm those. Right now it's just resistance trooper, Rey, Boba, Daka and Barriss.

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

I love that the game has no trouble finding 7 star opponents 5 or more levels higher than my best character for GW, but can't find anything above 2 star for allies. Also it's 2016, why can't we manually select a light and dark side character (or god forbid, characters) as our loaners?

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008
So remember how I and a couple of other people may have mentioned that your highest Arena rank helps determine the power of your opponents in GW? Well that was wrong.

Source:
https://www.reddit.com/r/SWGalaxyOfHeroes/comments/469vj1/sad_post_i_was_wrong_about_galactic_war_using/

It uses the POWER of the squad you last won with, as long as it was higher than the last time you won. So it could technically be gamed, if you could reliably win with lower-power teams, and had been doing so basically forever.

Mooktastical fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Feb 17, 2016

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Haha I just added like 500 points by subbing in 6* HRS and I just started getting brutal murder squads in GW. Good to know they're probably linked.

I was wondering what all the fuss was as I have gotten 8th place in arena but GW was not so bad to me.

oops wrong forum
May 21, 2002

heh, you think you can withstand the power of my solarbeam?

Mooktastical posted:

So remember how I and a couple of other people may have mentioned that your highest Arena rank helps determine the power of your opponents in GW? Well that was wrong.

Source:
https://www.reddit.com/r/SWGalaxyOfHeroes/comments/469vj1/sad_post_i_was_wrong_about_galactic_war_using/

It uses the POWER of the squad you last won with, as long as it was higher than the last time you won. So it could technically be gamed, if you could reliably win with lower-power teams, and had been doing so basically forever.

CG not knowing how their game works? SHOCKED I SAY

Is this the same guy who said TM was resistible now?

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

oops wrong forum posted:

CG not knowing how their game works? SHOCKED I SAY

Is this the same guy who said TM was resistible now?

I've seen my Poe resist turn meter.

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

Mooktastical posted:

Source:

This is a good reason to not get those horrible 50 item pieces of gear. Their utility is marginal but they'll make your guys higher power.

Edit: I take you guys' point about hard mode farming, in my case I've been heavily gear grinding in order to replace some of my underpowered characters for arena.

Davethulhu fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Feb 17, 2016

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
I don't think the "Dev" folks on the r/swgoh are actually anything more than just glorified QA or technical support guys.

commish
Sep 17, 2009

0-5 in arena today. Oh well. Sucks that I have a few k power higher than these teams but I just can't get my Poe to go before their Poe.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Yeah this game was pretty clearly pushed out the door to coincide with the movie release. There's so many bugs and missing features. Like Daka is actually not supposed to resurrect herself, only allies and we're not getting our ally points when allies use our leader.

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

Tagichatn posted:

Like Daka is actually not supposed to resurrect herself

I call shenanigans. Daka living to old age by sheer virtue of being unwilling to die is metal and should stay in game.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

Mile'ionaha posted:

I call shenanigans. Daka living to old age by sheer virtue of being unwilling to die is metal and should stay in game.

I took Daka as either doing that (not dying through sheer will) or being a body hopper (one Daka dies and the [force] spirit jumps to another Night Sister).

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Davethulhu posted:

This is a good reason to not get those horrible 50 item pieces of gear. Their utility is marginal but they'll make your guys higher power.

Edit: I take you guys' point about hard mode farming, in my case I've been heavily gear grinding in order to replace some of my underpowered characters for arena.

Yeah, those 50 part pieces are some bullshit. The ONLY one I'm farming is the eyeball one for Yoda, because it unlocks gear level 9 for him. After that, I'm going to start getting gear for a couple lowbies that might end up as worthy additions to my Arena team.

Almost anything is a more worthy goal than those 50 piece items.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

I'm farming Geonosian Soldier's 50 piece to unlock his gear 9 and then probably Yoda afterward. Maybe I'll even get it finished by the time the Yoda event returns!

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010
Goddamnit the RNG in this game is driving me crazy. I just had a match against Phasma lead where literally every other attack was causing a bonus attack. Phasma and Kylo were the ONLY FO heroes (and there were no members with an assist trigger - Phasma, Sid, Lumi, Kylo, Poe), so it should average to about 1 in 4 to 1 in 5 attacks triggering that.

I'm struggling a lot more in arena now, I dunno what happened, but my server is getting way more competitive. I guess some people decided to become whales (I'm looking at a 7* Leia, 7* Yoda team comp right now).

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
It all evens out when you hit 70 and start 7 starring poo poo

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

Chilichimp posted:

It all evens out when you hit 70 and start 7 starring poo poo

Yeah, I guess so, although I am seeing more poo poo like 7* Leia, FOTP, and Rey. Unless you get really lucky with a Chromium pull on FOTP or Rey, you won't have them to 7* in my server group.

I'm level 70, running 3 7* and 2 5*. RP will be 6* soon, and as long as I keep doing well at GW, he'll be 7* soon too. I don't see my Poe hitting 7* anytime soon, QGJ is just too good to not focus on him. I also should have Rey to 5* pretty soon, and I'm thinking she'll be useful then too, although I don't want to have too many non-7* heroes, since that reduces your overall power by a lot.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
I mean, yeah mega-whales suck, but there's never going to be so many mega-whales that you can't progress or at least hold-pat.

Party Miser
Apr 1, 2011
I hate being wrecked by a team ten levels higher than me in GW. Is a good way to hold steady until I catch up and finish my daily's to just go into arena battle and leave? I know your "rank" doesn't go down, but I am OK with holding at 370 rank (or the entire prize rank) in arena.

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies

Party Meiser posted:

I hate being wrecked by a team ten levels higher than me in GW. Is a good way to hold steady until I catch up and finish my daily's to just go into arena battle and leave? I know your "rank" doesn't go down, but I am OK with holding at 370 rank (or the entire prize rank) in arena.
Nope. Apparently they've just said recently in this thread that the calculation was based off the power level of your highest winning team rather than rank, which makes more sense with my 'I kept Daka at 53 into the 60s and had the easiest time ever, levelled her up once she had a gear slot for +30% potency and now get lovely FOTP Poe QGJ Leia GS/Dooku teams' experience.

So fight all you want, just don't level/gear up your team if you want it to stay the same.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
I had a lot of fun with Heroes Charge but always wished there were more direct control options, so this looks right up my alley. Just started today, my ally code is 187-157-239.

Quick question: I'm looking at that Cantina wiki site, and some of the characters they mention as high-tier are getting slammed in the OP and/or in recent posts. Should I assume that it's sorta out of date, and prioritize building up characters that people are listing in comps on recent pages?

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

The only top tier character you can farm basically immediately is Geonosian Soldier. Other than that your early game is spent trying to cobble together an Arena team to get arena shards and some crystals, DS and LS teams to get equipment and (less important, especially early on) hard mode shards. Don't worry about "wasting" credits and droids getting characters you won't put in your ideal arena team up to level 50, the cost curve means it will have been almost inconsequential when you are able to start building out your dream team.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I swear that they made non-GW slower than normal. It feels painful watching Sidious slowly caress his lightsaber across the face of his target.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That happens occasionally. Maybe a server thing?

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Aphrodite posted:

That happens occasionally. Maybe a server thing?

I guess it should be expected at reset. Also I just got 4/5 Mk 6 Loronar Power Cells. Then spent 100 loving energy to not even get the last piece.

Edit: Yup, I think the server is dying. Can't retreat out of GW or arena. Can't open the reward boxes in GW.

Ularg fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Feb 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

Jenny Angel posted:

Quick question: I'm looking at that Cantina wiki site, and some of the characters they mention as high-tier are getting slammed in the OP and/or in recent posts. Should I assume that it's sorta out of date, and prioritize building up characters that people are listing in comps on recent pages?

This was posted above, but you've gotta walk before you can run here. I would definitely recommend farming Geo Soldier from Cantina missions until 7 starred. From Arena, get Sidious, and I would recommend spending 50 crystals per day on arena to get an extra 5 attacks until you are either top 100, or as far as you can go with your current team. From GW rewards, when you get there (lvl 40), get Luminara. From there, Resistance Pilot and Poggle are good picks, as is Phasma.
In order to progress past about 5 with DS missions, you need Old Daka, so I would recommend putting Cantina rewards into her up until 5 stars, and then farm QGJ. She is also great in GW, and can be good in Arena.
From Hard Mode, star farming Rey Shards immediately. In 2-3 months, you will thank me. I would also recommend farming JC to 5 stars, as you will use him a lot. Dooku is also good from HM, as is Chewie to about 4 stars.
Also, if you even remotely think you are going to spend money on this game, do it now, and use about 300-400 crystals per day on cantina and regular energy refreshes, long term this will help you a lot...super fast leveling. Also, once you have spent $5, you can spent $11 to get 100 crystals daily for 21 days, in terms of crystals per $$, it's a good buy, but a slow trickle.

• Locked thread