Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Mask guy being in another speedster containment unit instead of a lovely cage like Jesse should be a good indicator of what his threat to zoom was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

X-O posted:

It's really disappointing that Barry didn't believe in himself enough to be fast enough to get mask guy out of his cage when they were all standing there for a while.

There's a difference between vibrating himself and vibrating someone else

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Especially when he literally just figured out how to do it with no side effects (being super tired, etc). Vibrate in, vibrate out, run.

That and Jay waltzing up to the closing portal while it's still freaking out spacetime so he could be stabbed were serious low points for the episode.

Edit:

boom boom boom posted:

I thought that too but how different is it really than him grabbing someone and speeding off with them?

Kadath
Aug 17, 2004

Put Your 'Lectric Eye On Me, Babe
Grimey Drawer
Why do people keep saying "murder" when Barry kills someone who is trying to kill him and there is no alternative? Killing seems to be an absolute last resort for the Flash or he would just be snapping bank robbers necks all day like season 1 Arrow but at superspeed, which is what Zoom loves to do.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

boom boom boom posted:

Not if you believe in yourself.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Kadath posted:

Why do people keep saying "murder" when Barry kills someone who is trying to kill him and there is no alternative? Killing seems to be an absolute last resort for the Flash or he would just be snapping bank robbers necks all day like season 1 Arrow but at superspeed, which is what Zoom loves to do.

"Justifiable homicide" just doesn't roll off the tongue as easily.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Thwomp posted:

I thought that too but how different is it really than him grabbing someone and speeding off with them?

Because even you and I could pick up a person or thing and run with it whereas vibrating through matter with another person is kinda a whole different kettle of fish.

Not to mention, I don't even know if regular humans can do that thing or not since they don't have SpeedForce protecting them.

Kadath posted:

Because people don't want to think of the Flash as a police officer.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

X-O posted:

A and Y are the same backwards!

I'm just confused as to why they had to use such an outdated cipher method for 3 goddamn letters.

It's to keep the mystery of the length of the word. The knock code is relatively useful in that unless you knew the code, it just sounds like tapping and keeps communication secret.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

X-O posted:

It's really disappointing that Barry didn't believe in himself enough to be fast enough to get mask guy out of his cage when they were all standing there for a while.

I feel like I'm just watching a live action anime.

hiddenriverninja posted:

also, why didn't masky just trace letters on the glass? they use the same English!

Clearly it was to demonstrate Barry's obscure knowledge on coded POW messages. Because Barry is smart and he knows everything from theoretical physics to advanced military tactics. They could have done Morse code, but according to Barry, it's too cliche. It's weird that in a show about superheroes, the most unrealistic thing is how stupid the character motivations are.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Xealot posted:

On this particular point, this is some serious selective memory. Iris was used miserably last season. Most plots involving her were focused on contriving reasons to keep her oblivious to Barry's identity, at Joe's insistence or not, or maintaining her as an object of lust or longing for Barry. After Barry first tells her the truth, he literally inverts time and un-does it; she only becomes part of the primary plot at the very end of the season.

Season 2 Iris is leagues more interesting and relevant than she was in season 1. The more agency and voice they can give her, the better. (Which is a CW/DCTV problem in general...marginalizing female characters and leaving them nothing but melodramatic interpersonal plots does a disservice to the actress and character. See also: Thea, Laurel, Felicity, and Patty, who are amazing when the show lets them do anything other than cry-scream at the protagonist for being left in the dark.)
Don't get me wrong, I think Iris has been significantly improved by not being designated as Barry's main love interest. The writers are actually treating her like a functional character now, as opposed to Flash's blogging cheerleader. Pretty much the same thing happened to Laurel in season 3.

But the problem is Iris also hasn't really been in many scenes with Barry as a result - she spends a lot of time with her dad and Wally, but significantly less scenes with Barry (who, despite their confused feelings, grew up together and are best friends.) Caitlin suffers similar issues, where Cisco and Barry seem to be getting always closer and Caitlin is just always with Jay. The writers are just stupidly incapable of writing a woman as being friends with Barry unless she secretly wants to bone him. But this is nothing new from the writers for Arrow who made Laurel absolutely insufferable in the first two seasons of Arrow, and are now making Felicity insufferable in the third and fourth seasons.

Joe, on the other hand, has absolutely gotten a reduced role. Throughout season 1, especially in the first half, we constantly saw him investigating Wells and acting as a voice of guidance for Barry. This season he's mostly been absorbed into the Wally stuff and it feels like he too has gotten less screen time with Barry other than when Barry needs yet another inspirational pep talk from one of his many father figures.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Xealot posted:

On this particular point, this is some serious selective memory. Iris was used miserably last season. Most plots involving her were focused on contriving reasons to keep her oblivious to Barry's identity, at Joe's insistence or not, or maintaining her as an object of lust or longing for Barry. After Barry first tells her the truth, he literally inverts time and un-does it; she only becomes part of the primary plot at the very end of the season.

To be fair, Iris is an object of lust or longing for everyone.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
You know the JJ Jameson actually had as point and his article should have been written.

He was basically saying "Flash can't save everyone all the time and he isn't always going to be around, as evidenced by the current situation. So don't be stupid." Here totally right. I think Clark Kent writes such articles about himself sometimes even.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Kadath posted:

Presumably because Barry doesn't seem to spend much time trying to think of other ways of dealing with the people in question or to feel any remorse or emotion of any kind for having killed them. Granted, in the case of the sand dude he didn't have much time to think of other methods since lives were on the line, but he had to draw Atom Smasher out and get him to chase him specifically because he was the only person Atom Smasher was concerned with. The fact that Barry also gives a forlorn little "I couldn't let you kill anyone else" as he does it doesn't help, because Atom Smasher has killed precisely one person, who he had a very obvious connection with and didn't appear to be a danger to anyone else at all beyond Barry. And now Flash has killed one person too. So should we be putting Barry down before he becomes a danger to everyone else on the same motives?

He's just kind of a lovely hero in general though. Keep in mind that he spent a significant portion of the first season stalking Iris because "twue wuv" I guess? So that makes stalking okay or something. He keeps prisoners in his own personal prison despite the fact the city is now equipped to deal with them. Not only that, but he has on a number of occasions taken the time to mock them as he did so - even getting all his friends to line up so they can high five him for his sick burns afterwards. He's even mocked petty criminals that were obviously only doing it because of screwed up conceptions of love like that teleporting girl. He's even illegally tracked down a guy to kickstart his transformation in to a meta and then put that person in jail solely because he ended up knowing who Barry was through no fault of his own and had no reason to not blab that information. So now I guess he's in a private jail indefinitely? Great job Barry. What a hero you are.

I think people are calling Barry a murderer because Barry isn't and hasn't been an inspiring or heroic character for a while now and calling Barry a murderer is just a succinct way of expressing dissatisfaction with that since while he might not technically be one, the things he does and the way he feels about them (or doesn't feel about them more than anything) because of short sighted writing and a need for more melodrama has made him come off as only one step removed from a murderer. Which in a show that was supposed to be the optimistic contrast to Arrow isn't a good thing. Flash now feels basically identical to Arrow in every way that counts.

greatn posted:

You know the JJ Jameson actually had as point and his article should have been written.

He was basically saying "Flash can't save everyone all the time and he isn't always going to be around, as evidenced by the current situation. So don't be stupid." Here totally right. I think Clark Kent writes such articles about himself sometimes even.

That'd be fine if that was what his point had come off as. It came off way more as "Well Flash didn't show up once, so obviously he's dead or incompetent or something and now I want to capitalize on that by villifying him because that'll sell way more" to me. It just came off as stupid and smarmy as gently caress, and only there so Iris could have something to do in the episode.

tsob fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Feb 18, 2016

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
Creepin' and peepin' indeed.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Personally, I'd totally buy seeing the Flash sitting/standing on a rooftop brooding at this point. Reverse Flash killed Barry's mom, Zoom killed the happy tone of the show.

ramble ramble :smilieinwheelchair:

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Would the necessary cape cause too much drag?

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
Sorry guys I think might have some health problems because I pretty sure I've been hallucinating. In this crazy vision, someone on team Flash murdered a defenseless dude in a cell by ripping out his brain matter through his nose.

It was weird too because everyone forgot about it and like an episode or two later Barry said that Mr. Brain-murderer was a key part of Team Flash.

Edit: Honestly how is a viewer supposed to feel any sympathy for Wells at all? The whole Jesse plotline was terrible and feel completely flat for me because of this point, and the show seems to have no conception about this. I think it honestly believes we should be rooting for this rough, plucky guy.

mikeraskol fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Feb 18, 2016

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer

mikeraskol posted:

Sorry guys I think might have some health problems because I pretty sure I've been hallucinating. In this crazy vision, someone on team Flash murdered a defenseless dude in a cell by ripping out his brain matter through his nose.

It was weird too because everyone forgot about it and like an episode or two later Barry said he was a key part of Team Flash.

It wasn't murder because that guy just woke up in a bathtub on a spaceship after he got killed.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

mikeraskol posted:

It was weird too because everyone forgot about it and like an episode or two later Barry said that Mr. Brain-murderer was a key part of Team Flash.

Edit: Honestly how is a viewer supposed to feel any sympathy for Wells at all? The whole Jesse plotline was terrible and feel completely flat for me because of this point, and the show seems to have no conception about this. I think it honestly believes we should be rooting for this rough, plucky guy.

Because he's a tough guy making tough decisions. He'll do anything to save his daughter and god help you if you get in Liam Neeson Harrison Wells' way.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Man this episode was a huge letdown after last week. Did they ever address how earthquake guy found out about Star Labs?

mikeraskol posted:

You also hallucinated Patty shooting Wells and that plot point never being mentioned again.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

RareAcumen posted:

Because he's a tough guy making tough decisions. He'll do anything to save his daughter and god help you if you get in Liam Neeson Harrison Wells' way.

And hey, it's okay because Barry knows how he feels and that everyone on team Flash would do the same for their families. So yea, Barry would totally gank a dude on the off chance he could learn something that might maybe help him rescue Joe. And Joe would totally do the same to save Iris. It's not like he's ever acted like he gives two tugs of a dead dog's dick about the law anyways. Are you inspired yet?

JT Smiley posted:

Man this episode was a huge letdown after last week. Did they ever address how earthquake guy found out about Star Labs?

A Zoom told him.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Whizbang posted:

To be fair, Iris is an object of lust or longing for everyone.

Grant and Tom agree :3:

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos
https://imgur.com/a/GuKKZ Found this on Reddit. Really good synopsis of the entire episode if you don't wanna watch it.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

LLJKSiLk posted:

https://imgur.com/a/GuKKZ Found this on Reddit. Really good synopsis of the entire episode if you don't wanna watch it.

That took longer to read than watching the actual episode.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

LLJKSiLk posted:

That's pretty hilarious, thanks!

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

LLJKSiLk posted:

This is pretty loving great apart from using bitch a few too many times. Does he do this weekly?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

The series would be better if this didn't keep happening, really.

You're the worst loving speedster, Barry.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

LLJKSiLk posted:

I wish this had been in the episode

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Burning_Monk posted:

That's pretty hilarious, thanks!

Yeah, there're some real good ones in there.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
He really sucks compared to the guy who did all of season 1.

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.
No Other Barry, ice beats grass types. Come on dude, this was in gen 1, you can't even pull that "i haven't played the new ones" poo poo.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Wondering if the iron mask isn't so much to prevent him from talking to the prisoners as it is that his power is triggered by talking. And we are on Earth-2 . . . come on, Johnny Thunder.

(Obvious not Shazam because DC movie division would never allow that)

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Cael posted:

Wondering if the iron mask isn't so much to prevent him from talking to the prisoners as it is that his power is triggered by talking. And we are on Earth-2 . . . come on, Johnny Thunder.

(Obvious not Shazam because DC movie division would never allow that)

I already said he was Black Canary, I can't believe people are stealing my lovely jokes!!!

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Dresh posted:

No Other Barry, ice beats grass types. Come on dude, this was in gen 1, you can't even pull that "i haven't played the new ones" poo poo.

Earth 2 grass beats Earth 2 ice.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Dresh posted:

Earth 2

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer

RareAcumen posted:

I already said he was Black Canary, I can't believe people are stealing my lovely jokes!!!

Impossible, the mask wasn't triangular.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

What's the point of going faster if you're already the fastest being in two universes? It's not like he couldn't go back in time since even slowmo Barry could do it.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
But...Anna is not the one that has the ice powers.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

SonicRulez posted:

But...Anna is not the one that has the ice powers.
On Earth-2 she does!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I hope they go really crazy with these mask reveals. Zoom is Billy Batson and MetalFace is Dr. Fate.

• Locked thread