Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Thirsty Dog posted:

XCOM2 is hardly broken. Buggy, yes. Different to XCOM1, yes. Difficult when you're at zero knowledge, yes. Broken, no, which is why the XCOM2 thread is full of people absolutely loving the game and completing campaigns in Ironman (while recognising the flaws)

The Witness literally being a progression of mechanics that you have to consistently learn and apply while being taught new things is not a criticism of the game, it's blowhard nonsense. In essence, it's a complaint that the computer game is a computer game. I'm no Jon Blow fan and I sure as hell have no interest in the audio tapes and all that jazz, but mechanically the game just has a learning curve like every other puzzle game worth playing.

MOBAs are some sort of holy war inspiring thing so I can understand people just plain not liking them, it was more a comment on how Idle Weekend went from chilled conversation to the sort of stupid poo poo you hear on practically every other podcast and it grated.

If you say you're done, then you're done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Don't be a dick. I was done ranting but happy to respond to replies to me with something with a bit more substance.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Thirsty Dog posted:

I find Crate & Crowbar to be excellent at still having meaningful talk about games they've only played for x hours or are wary of spoiling, because they'll often focus on a mechanic or a theme and really dig into it.

C & C are brilliant at this. I'm so glad they took off as a podcast. For the record you can talk about a game without spoilers. You just talk about it's merits.

Civil Twilight
Apr 2, 2011

Jippa posted:

C & C are brilliant at this. I'm so glad they took off as a podcast.

I've been catching up on C&C recently, they're pretty great. Interesting to see the contrast in what catches with them as opposed to other casts, like their universal love of R6 Siege.

Also Graham Smith's accent makes it sounds like he's saying "first person shitter" sometimes, and I'm a child.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I don't know anything about Tom Chick except that he frequents Three Moves Ahead but reading his tweets really crashes with the laid back vibe I'm getting burning through their backlog.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Zerot posted:

It''s not a podcast, but IGN has a 90 minute video interview available to watch. http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/02/12/firewatch-secrets-spoilers-and-behind-the-scenes-with-campo-santo

This finally showed up today on a bunch of IGN podcasts. I just used my podcast app, searched for "IGN Firewatch" and it pinged it on IGN Overclocked and Podcast Beyond with the link to the episode for download.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

al-azad posted:

I don't know anything about Tom Chick except that he frequents Three Moves Ahead but reading his tweets really crashes with the laid back vibe I'm getting burning through their backlog.

I started at 2 (they deleted 1) and am up to about 200. Only 150 more to go!

I don't like Tom Chick very much. The episode about women in strategy games really soured me on him. He also seems incredibly smug all the time. That said I still enjoy when he's on the podcast. Plus Bruce Geryk is a national treasure and Tom works well with him.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

al-azad posted:

I somehow got a subscription to Computer Gaming World or something when I was in HS and Tom Chick had a column in it, and he wrote some column just scorched earthing some precious gaming thing and I was like "oh man, it is possible to not pull punches in print media". I was young and that particular column was actually good, I just can't remember what it was about.

I find him to be fairly unoffensive on 3MA because he explains mechanics and game design using a different lexicon. I'm probably 50-50 on agreeing with him, my main beef is that usually his arguments backing up a really strong thesis fall flat. He'll start off with an incredibly strong thesis (sometimes derisive), but it's a crapshoot if he actually follows through. He bounces off of Bruce incredibly well and it's always a good time to hear Troy rebuke Tom's argument at hand.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Thirsty Dog posted:

XCOM2 is hardly broken.

a review posted:

Several missions forced me to reload earlier saves due to bugs that made them impossible to complete.

quote:

Buggy, yes.

a different review posted:

Another mission got caught in an odd loop that kept warping an enemy around the map and ragdolling him off a bridge, which repeated for several minutes before I gave up on ever regaining control.

quote:

Different to XCOM1, yes.

I was sometimes unable to move soldiers to specific squares, despite the UI clearly indicating that I should be able to.

quote:

Difficult when you're at zero knowledge, yes.

The action sometimes halted for 15 or 20 seconds at a time for no discernible reason, even when it was my turn (negating the possibility that this bug was caused by offscreen aliens moving around).

quote:

Broken, no, which is why the XCOM2 thread is full of people absolutely loving the game and completing campaigns in Ironman (while recognising the flaws)

The most immediately noticeable is the inconsistency of its performance. I played on two computers, and the framerate dropped frequently even on one computer that clocked in far above the recommended specs...Roofs of buildings would often remain opaque when I tried to move my soldiers on the floor below...One wouldn’t allow me to evacuate my sharpshooter at mission’s end, and another wouldn’t allow me to pick up a mission-critical objective despite clearly standing on the indicated spot...I had encountered so many of these bugs that I could only laugh when I tried to load the final mission, only to be greeted by a crash and the “XCOM 2 has stopped working” prompt.

Oh wait, sorry, I was mistaken. Every line I quoted came from one loving review of XCOM 2

The game's a broken loving mess.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Feb 17, 2016

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Yeah, cool. For the vast majority of people it's just a bit buggy. Seriously, go do a straw poll in the thread. There wouldn't be so many people completing it on iron man if it was broken.

Regardless, that wasn't what they were talking about on the cast.

E: I think the bugs are pretty well known by now, given the sheer volume of people playing. Many of the ones you've listed simply haven't cropped up for the hundreds of people reporting bugs so I wonder whether the review copy was even buggier.

Thirsty Dog fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Feb 17, 2016

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Jordan7hm posted:

I started at 2 (they deleted 1) and am up to about 200. Only 150 more to go!

I don't like Tom Chick very much. The episode about women in strategy games really soured me on him. He also seems incredibly smug all the time. That said I still enjoy when he's on the podcast. Plus Bruce Geryk is a national treasure and Tom works well with him.

Bruce is great and his video series on war games is worth watching.

Don't read Tom's column about female characters in games.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
XCOM 2 is a good game but buggy and whoever on 3MA said that it was a step back in every way doesn't remember having to perfectly time their Satellite launches and conga-overwatching their rookies through the same maps over and over. XCOM 2 has flaws (and the bigger problem it has is that it still has flaws from Enemy Unknown), but the strategic changes aren't one of them.

Comparing it to Darkest Dungeon is wrong because that game is on a permanent Ironman mode and is designed with that in mind - your soldiers get things done, but ultimately it's the state of your hamlet that's important and there are systems in place to enable you to bounce back like the Stagecoach upgrades and high-level trinkets. XCOM 2 has saves and can afford to be more punishing, but the Avatar project timer is much easier to set back via facility attacks and covert missions, and it doesn't hinge on completing a single plot mission (afaik) to keep it manageable. I agree it doesn't show enough information at times, like how long certain items will remain on the map for and what Intel does, but I prefer it to having to time things like a game of Starcraft.

Can't speak as to any bugs or line of sight glitches, since I haven't had any yet.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

There's a ton of bugs, I won't sugar coat that and I'm not trying to defend Firaxis or anything. But game crashes are super rare, and the only genuinely game-breaking bug is an issue with loading saves when there's buried Chryssalids on the map. Most other stuff is display bugs and some load time issues, and they're usually solved by a save/reload.

Performance wise, AA is an absolute dog for all systems but the game is "fine" when you turn it down/off. The last mission chugs a bit for everyone.

Star Citizen it ain't.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
XCOM 2 is easier than 1. Grenadier is a big reason why, when you make the Rocketeer usable after movement, have default 2 uses, and will never miss.

I can see some strategy purists work their minds like that.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

It *feels* harder than 1, because you're more likely to fail missions (indeed, you should probably fail some missions if you're ironmanning, because escaping and surviving is a better idea than a squad wipe) and both the tactical and strategic layers really pile on the pressure with various timers and comms chatter. But it's actually quite forgiving.

For an XCOM game, anyway.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I mean the issue when talking about game bugs is that, unless they're really common, the most discussion we can get out of it is either "have you tried these fixes" which mostly results in "didn't work" and then everyone forgets about it, or a circle of people going "it broke for me" "well it's never broke for me" "well it's broken" "no it's not" forever and ever.

I wouldn't put it past Firaxis, sadly. Civ games are well known for being buggy on release, so XCom 2 having severe bugs wouldn't be a surprise.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Can we get back to talking about how bad a person Total Biscuit is or get coyote back in here or something, anything would be preferable to this loving series of sermons to opposing choirs.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
I'm gonna burn down the thread for the year, how's that work. Any shows people wanna see get a nod?

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

END ME SCOOB posted:

I'm gonna burn down the thread for the year, how's that work. Any shows people wanna see get a nod?

The current list in the OP seems fine. Only thing I can think of is if any of the listener suggestions have proven themselves then they could join whatever sections they best fit in. That'd involve combing the entire thread for opinions/reactions though, which gently caress that.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe
Kerbal podcast! First post after the o.p.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The super best friendcast should be in the big names, because it's a pretty popular gaming/bullshitting podcast at this point. It's basically a second bombcast for me during the week, they have much the same back-and-forth, while they may not have the same history in the industry, three of them have worked at multiple developers in the past in both development and QA, and occasionally offer some pretty good insight into how various workplaces work.

Or they could get new mics and chew food people have sent them into the mics to test how much grosser it sounds on better hardware and then pat discusses the really weird way he tucks himself into bed. That happens too.

I can do a summary for it if need be.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

For the bonus, tangentially related podcasts section, Laser Time's Thirty Twenty Ten, while not specifically about games, does cover the new releases 30, 20, and 10 years ago each week.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

TetsuoTW posted:

Can we get back to talking about how bad a person Total Biscuit is or get coyote back in here or something, anything would be preferable to this loving series of sermons to opposing choirs.

It's mostly people on the same side talking to each other right now but OK

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

TetsuoTW posted:

For the bonus, tangentially related podcasts section, Laser Time's Thirty Twenty Ten, while not specifically about games, does cover the new releases 30, 20, and 10 years ago each week.

The problem is that if I do this I'm just going to pimp all the Laser Time shows I listen to (so everything that isn't Cape Crisis or Cheap Popcast).

Protip: Retronauts' own Bob Mackey hosts a show on their network about the Simpsons, and it's excellent.

claw game handjob fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Feb 17, 2016

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I like TotalBiscuit and felt a little bit sad when the whole terminal cancer came out

I'm not even sure why I like him, he just comes across as being very genuine in a way a lot of personalities, especially in the games industry, really don't

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I think he's genuine too.

Genuinely bad, that is!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0neB1b29l8

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Tom Chick used to do a game blog for SyFy and it felt like he actively was trying to look for flaws in praised games and moments of gold in pieces of poo poo. It was almost like he was writing material to troll people on the internet. You could have dropped a link to one of his pieces on any random forum and it would have probably gotten a reaction.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Mierenneuker posted:

Tom Chick used to do a game blog for SyFy and it felt like he actively was trying to look for flaws in praised games and moments of gold in pieces of poo poo. It was almost like he was writing material to troll people on the internet. You could have dropped a link to one of his pieces on any random forum and it would have probably gotten a reaction.

Looking over some of his stuff I agree that he feels sincere about his opinions but then he falls into the trap of "this game is okay" after saying in too many words it's garbage. I guess the difference is his "okay" is a 2/5 while other critics' "okay" is 3/5.

I've turned to podcasts for most of my reviews. The big essay just doesn't work for video games and this disparity really came about with Polygon's review of Life is Strange which is a really interesting back and forth between two players which makes the arbitrary score standout like an oddity. It reaches a point where the game is getting 6s down the line but the reviewers are like "this is horribly flawed but everyone should play it goty "

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
It sucks that it was nuked off of the web forever, but technically he was more than pulling his weight when it comes to page views for whichever publication he's writing for.

I'd put him in the same league as John C Dvorak; however, less wrong and doesn't hang out with weirdos or sovcits.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Ramagamma posted:

I like TotalBiscuit and felt a little bit sad when the whole terminal cancer came out

I'm not even sure why I like him, he just comes across as being very genuine in a way a lot of personalities, especially in the games industry, really don't

if he's being genuine that's even worse than if it were a made up thing

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I'll never understand the hatred people have for TotalBiscuit, I can understand not liking him but certain people have an extreme distaste for him as if he's an utterly worthless human being. It's the sort of reaction I get when I hear Kim Kardashian or Paris Hilton being talked about and its really mystifying that people can have that much hatred.

Says more about their lives than anything TotalBiscuit ever did.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Don't engage Ramagamma, he's an unrepentant homophobe and Genuinely Bad Person whose Opinions nobody should listen to, especially when regards to the morality of others

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Toxxupation gets made fun of for e-stalking people in the Giant Bomb thread

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
jesus christ shut up

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
Please destroy this thread

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Ramagamma posted:

I'll never understand the hatred people have for TotalBiscuit, I can understand not liking him but certain people have an extreme distaste for him as if he's an utterly worthless human being. It's the sort of reaction I get when I hear Kim Kardashian or Paris Hilton being talked about and its really mystifying that people can have that much hatred.

Says more about their lives than anything TotalBiscuit ever did.

I don't care about the Kardashians or other celebrities, but that sort of laconic British Douglas Adams/Dawkins/Hitchens type persona is just loving awful, everything about it

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

TetsuoTW posted:

Oh that's just 80's kid pandering nonsense.

I'm subscribing immediately.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

icantfindaname posted:

I don't care about the Kardashians or other celebrities, but that sort of laconic British Douglas Adams/Dawkins/Hitchens type persona is just loving awful, everything about it

Sounds like you just really hate British people.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

icantfindaname posted:

Whoah, don't lump Adams in with those nasty buggers please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Phone posted:

I'd put him in the same league as John C Dvorak; however, less wrong and doesn't hang out with weirdos or sovcits.
"Less wrong than John C Dvorak" is a complement so backhanded you must be Zangief

DoubleCakes posted:

Oh that's just 80's kid pandering nonsense.

I'm subscribing immediately.
As an 80's kid myself, I find it less pandering and more a depressing realization that the 80s were thirty loving years ago.

• Locked thread