Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I think it's important that Yoda's last battle with Sidious is in the Senate chamber. Once they are literally dismantling the Senate and Yoda still can't win, Yoda sees that continuing to fight will only further tear down the Republic. He chooses defeat over the destruction of everything he's lived for.

Edit: in terms of the metaphorical high ground being different from the literal high ground.

homullus fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Feb 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Bongo Bill posted:

Obi-Wan Kenobi was the best man and the best knight that the Jedi Order was capable of producing, and that reflects very poorly on the Jedi Order. He was the living incarnation of their noblest intentions and of the dogmatic arrogance that led them to betray those intentions at every turn. The best Star Wars character.

I think this is correct. He's the consummate Jedi, but the version of the Jedi he was raised by are so misguided and detached that he still ends up making a lot of costly mistakes and being arrogant and hypocritical.

Harime Nui posted:

I always understood that moment as Obi-Wan letting go of his anger and, like Qui-Gon was always saying, falling into the Living Force---e.g he simply acts within the moment and performs a miraculous feat.

Anakin on the other hand, when his duel with Obi-Wan reaches its climax, is pure animal rage. Thus, the Force isn't his ally---more like he's driving it forward through sheer bloodyminded will. So when he tries jumping over the face of a man wielding a sword, the inevitable happens.

Essentially the true Jedi way of using the force is like Wu Wei. You do, or you do not, but there is no trying.

https://youtu.be/YPHw0wzDCpg?t=271

Check out how unnatural-looking it is when Obi-Wan flies upwards. Maul is flabbergasted because he's witnessing an impossibility----Obi-Wan is beaten, and a mere Padawan, but just pulled off something that would have taxed an experienced Force user, simultaneously yanking Qui-Gon's saber and carrying himself out of the pit. But that's what happens when you just let the Force do its thing instead of trying to beat it into shape.

I think this is also correct, and it factors into why Yoda says Jedi use the Force for knowledge and defense rather than attack. Obi-Wan is able to do things like completely shut down Anakin's attack and easily hone in on Grievous' weak points because the Force is showing him the way to defend himself and end the fight. While both Jedi and Sith fight with some aggression, the Sith fight in a way that is imbalanced between the Dark Side and the Light. The Jedi strive for their aggressive acts to be guided by the Light, while the Sith strive to guide the Force as a whole with their own will.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Yoda falls as a direct result of when he looks super pissed and blasts Palpatine's lightning back at him. It pushes him off the edge, just like in True Grit when Maddie shoots Tom Chaney and the recoil pushes her into a pit of snakes.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Barudak posted:

I think the question absolutely nobody is raising when discussing the prequels is where in the gently caress is my Padme collection of dresses? Every single scene transition she has a new outfit and all of them are great. Honestly, the only weak outfit in 1-3 is her nightgown and its still better than what most films would trot out. Whoever did her clothing I hope went onto further grand things.

Looking at her credits on IMDB, it seems like those were by far the biggest things she worked on. She went to TV for a little bit and the last thing she's worked on is Da Vinci's Demons.

Trisha Biggar: a person Hollywood should probably use more

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Beeez posted:

I think this is correct. He's the consummate Jedi, but the version of the Jedi he was raised by are so misguided and detached that he still ends up making a lot of costly mistakes and being arrogant and hypocritical.

Obi-Wan is a Jedi's Jedi. And that's not 100% complimentary.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I was mostly disappointed in the dearth of new ship designs because hey, new spaceships would be cool. Haven't seen enough good new spaceship designs in movies in a while. (Guardians of the Galaxy had a couple of good ones but most were forgettable.)

The New Star Destroyer design is especially blah, though. Basically just fatter and broader than the old ones, and with smaller crown thingies (which were what made the original design pop.) It looks downright clumsy.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Yeah, they should have looked towards the SWTOR star destroyers, which look different enough, have a new interesting element in the cutaway, and still look intrinsically star destroyery (ironically this makes them kind of weird when they supposedly appeared thousands of years before the movies, but whatev)

Just give it the bridge profile of the classic destroyer and it's pretty reasonable. Certainly better than the new one.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Maxwell Lord posted:

The New Star Destroyer design is especially blah, though. Basically just fatter and broader than the old ones, and with smaller crown thingies (which were what made the original design pop.) It looks downright clumsy.

I see what you're saying but I feel the need to mention that this actually fits with the narrative.

I usually hate when people say that but it's like the golden age of ship building has passed.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

kiimo posted:

I see what you're saying but I feel the need to mention that this actually fits with the narrative.

I usually hate when people say that but it's like the golden age of ship building has passed.

If your narrative demands uninspiring art design then you hosed up writing your Star Wars movie.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Your Star Wars movie, perhaps. And I ain't saying that to be a oval office, but ship designs from the OT were never that interesting to me anyway and I spent most of my youth not knowing or caring whether x-wings and tie-fighters were supposed to belong to the good guys or bad guys.

I actually liked the PT designs more but that certainly didn't make it a Star Wars movie.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

If there was one good thing about the prequels it's that some of the spaceships made for really cool Legos. Especially the tank in Ep. 1 and the troop transport from Ep. 2. The droids made for fun figurines too.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Harime Nui posted:

Check out how unnatural-looking it is when Obi-Wan flies upwards. Maul is flabbergasted because he's witnessing an impossibility----Obi-Wan is beaten, and a mere Padawan, but just pulled off something that would have taxed an experienced Force user, simultaneously yanking Qui-Gon's saber and carrying himself out of the pit. But that's what happens when you just let the Force do its thing instead of trying to beat it into shape.

I think it's important to focus on the sequence of events: Quigon's death occurs between Anakin's plane losing power and the surrender of the Gungan army. It's an obvious low point for the protagonists.

However, Obiwan's vengeful lashing-out (with the resulting tumble into the pit) occurs between Gunray's capture and Anakin saying "Yes! We have power! Shields up! Take this- and this!" Anakin naively/playfully lashes out and causes the the droid control ship to pointedly lose power. The subsequent explosion kills tens of thousands of people.

The editing here clearly associates Anakin (and Padme) with Darth Maul. This is the point where they become seduced by the dark side, overpowering and humiliating their enemies in the same way Maul overpowers and humiliates Obiwan. To underline this, Lucas cuts from the Gungans cheering that all the droids are dead, to Darth Maul creating a great shower of sparks to taunt Obiwan. Victory fireworks.

Obiwan's leap out of the pit is consequently ambiguous, because it seems very much a dark side thing. His leaping to stab the paralyzed Maul is identical to how Palpatine kills Windu's men in Episode 3.

Note that Obiwan's using a green-colored sword, similar to what Luke would use in Episode 6 to fight Jabba's men above the Sarlacc - one of the only times in the OT that anyone is ever actually killed with a laser sword. Isn't Obiwan's 'miraculous' leap out of the pit identical to Luke using the plank to leap back out of the pit? And doesn't he also grab a green sword from the air?

So we get that spectacle of Luke using the dark side to effortlessly cut down Jabba's men, casting them into the void. And that's precisely what happens to Maul.

the difference, of course, is that Luke's scene takes place at the start of his film and shows how far he is from the truth. Obiwan's scene takes place at the very end of Phantom Menace. He's being clouded.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Feb 17, 2016

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

BrianWilly posted:

Your Star Wars movie, perhaps.

Well, I am the one who saw it.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Neurolimal posted:

I remember when a chief argument in favor of the prequels was "why would you intentionally choose not to enjoy something, and keep posting about how you dont enjoy something?"

Good times.

I did enjoy TFA, though. That's why I care enough about it to take it seriously as a film worthy of discussion. Seriously, Neurolimal. Either contribute something or go away. You're annoying.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Cnut the Great posted:

I did enjoy TFA, though. That's why I care enough about it to take it seriously as a film worthy of discussion. Seriously, Neurolimal. Either contribute something or go away. You're annoying.

It's rather obvious that you have significant personal hangups regarding the film (especially Han Solo). If we were to follow that arguments' line of thinking (which I don't, because it is silly), i'd question why you aren't willing to approach these hangups with positive readings presented.

Once the TFA blu-ray is released I'l write as many words about it as I've written about other things ITT, go ahead and toxx me on that or whatever.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Instead of threatening to write more, just write better.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I cant wait to personally own The Force Awakens on Blu-Ray disc.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Vintersorg posted:

I cant wait to personally own The Force Awakens on Blu-Ray disc.

I hope it comes with a digital code to add it to my UltraViolet library so I can watch it on the go on my mobile devices.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
All I care about is deleted scenes / extended cuts

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Sir Kodiak posted:

I hope it comes with a digital code to add it to my UltraViolet library so I can watch it on the go on my mobile devices.

Hi, I'm the OT trilogy blu-ray collection containing DVD copies of all the movies with my Blu-rays because...

To be fair I gave the DVDs to my housekeeper for one of her kids so I guess I got a little :unsmith: out of it.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

You gave the special editions to children, you monster.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
At least you didnt sell her kid to a wandering monk

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

THE BAR posted:

Exactly this. The middle finger works better for me, as well, same with Kylo punching his wound out of frustration, not to "power up" his dark side.

Do people really think this? :/

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Neo Rasa posted:

Do people really think this? :/

Yes, but that's an unfair simplification. Kylo Ren is a character who admittedly has trouble committing to the dark side of the Force, something he considers a weakness. Him causing himself pain, thus engendering fear and anger in himself, right before a big confrontation isn't terribly out there as a concept. He's not frustrated, he's psyching himself up for a fight.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Phylodox posted:

He's not frustrated, he's psyching himself up for a fight.

I didn't think it was frustration so much as struggling to stay active after being grievously injured.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I imagined getting zapped feels like a numb pain (like a sleeping limb) - punching it is one of those things that feels good and bad at the same time.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Schwarzwald posted:

I didn't think it was frustration so much as struggling to stay active after being grievously injured.

Punching himself in that grievous injury is counter-intuitive if that's what he wanted.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I interpret the wound-punching as basically generating pain to thus generate anger to thus generate dark side ability.

So not "to power up his dark side" directly, but to basically make it hurt enough that he got mad enough to keep going.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
As you can see from the varied responses, it's one of those things that's not conveyed very effectively.

Kylo is actually attempting to cause himself so much pain that he would enter a sort of ecstatic trance. There's no 'making himself angrier'.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
https://twitter.com/TheWookieeRoars/status/700102566688862211

He's got 3 pages up so far

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Probably either announcing his official involvement in VIII or his involvement in the Han Solo film. The latter definitely needs to start locking down casting soon.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
i hope the announcement is that his TFA script he bought on ebay has finally arrived in the mail and he will now take pictures of each page

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

You gave the special editions to children, you monster.

He gave Star Wars to children? Call child services!

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Jerkface posted:

i hope the announcement is that his TFA script he bought on ebay has finally arrived in the mail and he will now take pictures of each page

reading scripts one page at a time is a part of the experience

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

The Something Awful Forums>The Finer Arts>Cinema Discusso>Star Wars: I should have known better than to trust the logic of a half-sized thermocapsulary dehousing assister

e: seriously though, I have this same script, and here is Vader's bad-rear end entrance:

INT. REBEL STARFIGHTER - MAIN HALLWAY

The awesome, seven-foot tall DARK LORD OF THE SITH makes his way into the blinding light of the main passageway. This is DARTH VADER, right hand of the Emperor. His face is obscured by his flowing black robes and grotesque breath mask which stands out next to the fascist white armored suits of the Imperial stormtroopers. Everyone instinctively backs away from the imposing warrior and a deathly quiet sweeps through the rebel troops. Several of the rebel troops break and run in a frenzied panic.

The script is dated March 15th, 1976. It rocks and is a ton of fun to read.

e2: I mean I have the same .PDF copy of it anyone can find. I don't have an original copy or anything like that.

MrMojok fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Feb 18, 2016

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

The punching is a old bad guy thing and nothing more - countless movies show enemies pressing / hitting / whatever to their wounds to psych themselves up - IT DON'T loving HuRT!!!

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
You can read them all right here if you really want to http://starwarz.com/starkiller/
And you don't even have to download

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
Holy poo poo this excerpt from the opening of the TPM script :allears:

quote:

A PROTOCOL DROID, TC-3, waits at the door to the docking bay. Two WORKER DROIDS, PK-4 and EG-9, stand in the foreground.

PK-4
Whoever it is must be important if the Viceroy sent one of those useless protocol gearheads to greet them.

The door opens, and the Republic cruiser can be seen in the docking bay. Two darkly robed figures are greeted by TC-3. They move off down the hallway.

EG-9
A Republic cruiser! That’s trouble… don’t you think?

PR-4
I’m not made to think.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

That actually made it as far as the pre-viz stage. The deleted scene is on the Blu Ray.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

ungulateman posted:

EG-9
A Republic cruiser! That’s trouble… don’t you think?

PR-4
I’m not made to think.

Why would they cut this? :smith:

• Locked thread