Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
thank you for that enhancement, now do one for my pontic genocide screenshot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Uh

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

that is a screenshot of me changing the culture of trebizond from greek to turkish, juxtaposed against a photograph of when the ottoman empire actually did that irl

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

PleasingFungus posted:

Looks like the disaster will never start unless you go into negative stab, so it seems easy enough to avoid.
I was briefly at negative stab, hence why I am posting about it :v: Comet then heir dying then ruler dying will do that to you.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

THE BAR posted:

Or Hannover!

I've been meaning to do a Hamburg => Hannover => Germany game for a while, especially now that Hamburg starts out independent, but every time I get demoralised after I get bogged down with poo poo alliances in the first decade. Also having to wait until tech level 20 for Germany makes me :saddowns: even though I understand why it was done.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Here is my suggestion, when part of the map is revealed and it says "such and such an area has been revealed to us", the go-to option should take you to the revealed part, not to your capital.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Has anyone actually gotten the Electable achievement without inheriting an elector or buttering up the Emperor as an OPM? I'm playing a Hesse game, and despite dozens of games in the HRE I've never been given an electorate. I'd quite like to have one so I can form Westphalia.

Though I guess I just converted to Protestantism, so I won't be getting anything until after the war I guess.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

TacticalUrbanHomo posted:

that is a screenshot of me changing the culture of trebizond from greek to turkish, juxtaposed against a photograph of when the ottoman empire actually did that irl

Yeah I get what it is I'm just confused why you used ":black101:"

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!
Yeah. Murdering a OPM is sort of :effort:

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Average Bear posted:

Yeah I get what it is I'm just confused why you used ":black101:"

if genocide is not a :black101: thing then I don't know what is

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

what do i do now also wtf button did i hit that displays that sidebar i love it kinda.

My Idea 1 was Quantity and I've been speeding throiugh that poo poo first chance i got every time just for the -10% land maintenance. My next I'd like to do is Trade since im at 67%~ power in Constantinople and Aleppo each which seems good I think idk really. I'm making around 27~ ducats a month.

I just saw how much money I actually have I should shelve my whole army and just wage a few big wars with mercs i think. Something happened after I did the "Levant" mission I couldn't take all the cores it told me I needed in one go so i took what you see and am fabricating on a few of the ones I need to finish so I can complete that mission. I'm not really looking on becoming the normal Ottomans idk what that is this is the farthest I've played in 111 hours so yeah but I am looking for some fun. Would taking over Africa be a silly thing? I've never colonised before so I';m not sure how that'd affect my "Huge Army Don't gently caress With Me" shtick I have going on for general safety

oh yeah i took wallachia like the first chance i got and man those 400~ admin points on coring loving hurt but i had to commit i just had too

e: some more stuff. I'm behind by one level on mil tech. Muscovy got 7 first and I'm about 1/2 there from 6. Should I be worried? Not so much about them but their neighbors gaining increased research speed. Also why is the diplo techs all naval stuff. Not ideas just general tech. I upgrade and it makes ships costs more to maintain >:c that is silly.

Is having a powerful navy needed as the Ottomans? I have about 30 odd fighting ships all protecting trade, yeah i know only light ships increase profit but I like having them all together since when I start a war I always forget to check where enemy ships are/will be so they get jumped a lot.

think thats it cool thats my post part 2: return of the post

edit 3 Trilogy Edit: i am about to take Bosnia and Serbia right now all in one go so maybe let me know if that is bad/ good and not as in i'm just waiting to submit my sue for peace i mean i can easy take them i just dont know if it is bad or good to do it all at once

verbal enema fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Feb 18, 2016

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

verbal enema posted:

what do i do now also wtf button did i hit that displays that sidebar i love it kinda.

My Idea 1 was Quantity and I've been speeding throiugh that poo poo first chance i got every time just for the -10% land maintenance. My next I'd like to do is Trade since im at 67%~ power in Constantinople and Aleppo each which seems good I think idk really. I'm making around 27~ ducats a month.

I just saw how much money I actually have I should shelve my whole army and just wage a few big wars with mercs i think. Something happened after I did the "Levant" mission I couldn't take all the cores it told me I needed in one go so i took what you see and am fabricating on a few of the ones I need to finish so I can complete that mission. I'm not really looking on becoming the normal Ottomans idk what that is this is the farthest I've played in 111 hours so yeah but I am looking for some fun. Would taking over Africa be a silly thing? I've never colonised before so I';m not sure how that'd affect my "Huge Army Don't gently caress With Me" shtick I have going on for general safety

oh yeah i took wallachia like the first chance i got and man those 400~ admin points on coring loving hurt but i had to commit i just had too

e: some more stuff. I'm behind by one level on mil tech. Muscovy got 7 first and I'm about 1/2 there from 6. Should I be worried? Not so much about them but their neighbors gaining increased research speed. Also why is the diplo techs all naval stuff. Not ideas just general tech. I upgrade and it makes ships costs more to maintain >:c that is silly.

Is having a powerful navy needed as the Ottomans? I have about 30 odd fighting ships all protecting trade, yeah i know only light ships increase profit but I like having them all together since when I start a war I always forget to check where enemy ships are/will be so they get jumped a lot.

think thats it cool thats my post part 2: return of the post

edit 3 Trilogy Edit: i am about to take Bosnia and Serbia right now all in one go so maybe let me know if that is bad/ good

You should have or will soon have multi-stage missions to conquer the Arab peninsula, Egypt, and North Africa. Do those, and imo take trade ideas. Access to the Indian ocean combined with total control of Alexandria and Constantinople will let you rake in loads of money. Expand into Persia (which is fairly easy, since you can Balkanise it into lots of small states like Taberastan and Baluchistan) and you'll be able to dominate a bloc of like five different trade regions.

Re: Bosnia and Serbia I'd say that's good, if only because it will provide a good defensive border against Austria-Hungary.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

You should have or will soon have multi-stage missions to conquer the Arab peninsula, Egypt, and North Africa. Do those, and imo take trade ideas. Access to the Indian ocean combined with total control of Alexandria and Constantinople will let you rake in loads of money. Expand into Persia (which is fairly easy, since you can Balkanise it into lots of small states like Taberastan and Baluchistan) and you'll be able to dominate a bloc of like five different trade regions.

Re: Bosnia and Serbia I'd say that's good, if only because it will provide a good defensive border against Austria-Hungary.

what do you mean by balkanise

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

verbal enema posted:

Kinda, but the Ottomans are a sort of exception. You should be big and rich enough to just build a ton of galleys (which get a 100% damage bonus in inland seas, like the mediterranean and black seas) over your force limit because galleys are like 0.1/month in maintenance.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

verbal enema posted:

Divide an area that is controlled by one large state, or a small number of moderately-sized states, into a larger number of smaller states, thereby allowing you to exert greater control over the area in a lesser amount of time by fighting more wars in the same amount of time and potentially vassalising one or more of the states.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

verbal enema posted:

Break a bigger country up into a bunch of smaller countries that all hate each other and then try to ethically cleanse each other, then they shoot an Austrian prince and poo poo goes downhill from there

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Most, if not all of your trade ships in the Mediterranean should be protecting trade in Alexandria (once you've conquered Egypt) and steering that trade to Istanbul. You'll need a lot, because Spain and Venice and France will all be trying to steer it over to Venice and Genoa. Your other merchant(s) should be either in Samarkand or the Indian Ocean making sure as much of the trade over there as possible ends up going in the direction of Alexandria/Istanbul and not getting siphoned away by Russia or Britain, respectively.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Most, if not all of your trade ships in the Mediterranean should be protecting trade in Alexandria (once you've conquered Egypt) and steering that trade to Istanbul. You'll need a lot, because Spain and Venice and France will all be trying to steer it over to Venice and Genoa. Your other merchant(s) should be either in Samarkand or the Indian Ocean making sure as much of the trade over there as possible ends up going in the direction of Alexandria/Istanbul and not getting siphoned away by Russia or Britain, respectively.

i think you mean Kostantiniyye

wtf btw

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

verbal enema posted:

i think you mean Kostantiniyye

wtf btw

actually I mean استانبول :colbert:

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

caliph strong

hormuz, moldovia, and crete are vassals btw. russia is my best buddy 100 trust ally.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
That was the best part of The Third Way achievement, you can have a super powerful Russia as ally and help them conquer lands and it actually helps you.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

If you don't strangle Russia in the cradle you're already doing it wrong as the Ottomans. Its actually easier than you think, I did a Sultan of Rum run and it only took a two wars to take Moscow. After that you can make a vassal out of either Novgorod of Muscovy and have them expand east for you.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Mantis42 posted:

If you don't strangle Russia in the cradle you're already doing it wrong as the Ottomans. Its actually easier than you think, I did a Sultan of Rum run and it only took a two wars to take Moscow. After that you can make a vassal out of either Novgorod of Muscovy and have them expand east for you.

I'm going to try to do that next time but allying them was something of a necessity because for a long time there was a Poland-Lithuania-Bohemia PU allied to Austria. Without their alliance there was just no loving way.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
New DD https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/eu4-development-diary-18th-february-2016.909070/
Lots of changes in Africa with many new nations and ideas. And a teaser about something new, looks like a pouch of some kind?

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

I, too, can't wait for the Fetishists to rise.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

THE BAR posted:

I, too, can't wait for the Fetishists to rise.

:q:

The new icon looks like the bag of money from the trade goods icon, but it's bleeding? The red arrow on the notification bar makes it look like you have the ability to raise whatever it is, production/trade efficiency?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I can't wait, but I don't see what makes Zanzibar an important trade node. There is only one outgoing trade route and it's heading the usual south and west around the Cape. The internal routes all go through the Ivory Coast just with a detour or not anyway. If the route between Zanzibar and Gulf of Aden was reversed I could see it being important, but as it stands there is no noticeable difference from before. :confused:

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

I was thinking about doing an Oman game. Now i know what update I should wait for. The new Africa makes me loving hype.

Poil posted:

I can't wait, but I don't see what makes Zanzibar an important trade node. There is only one outgoing trade route and it's heading the usual south and west around the Cape. The internal routes all go through the Ivory Coast just with a detour or not anyway. If the route between Zanzibar and Gulf of Aden was reversed I could see it being important, but as it stands there is no noticeable difference from before. :confused:

Zanzibar can already pull eastern trade which can make it incredibly lucrative. Now it has three more trade nodes it cal pull trade from (Great Lakes goes into Zanzibar, Kongo goes into Zambezi and Zambezi goes into Zanzibar).

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

YF-23 posted:

Zanzibar can already pull eastern trade which can make it incredibly lucrative. Now it has three more trade nodes it cal pull trade from (Great Lakes goes into Zanzibar, Kongo goes into Zambezi and Zambezi goes into Zanzibar).
Oh, so it's the Malacca of the Indian Ocean?

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Poil posted:

Oh, so it's the Malacca of the Indian Ocean?

It can pull trade from India via Aden and I am pretty certain that you can circumvent the India line entirely and send trade directly from Malacca to Zanzibar.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Star posted:

New DD https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/eu4-development-diary-18th-february-2016.909070/
Lots of changes in Africa with many new nations and ideas. And a teaser about something new, looks like a pouch of some kind?

:gizz::gizz::gizz::gizz:

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Star posted:

Holy shitdickles. :monocle:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Star posted:

I really hope there's some mechanic that will stop the Europeans from conquering all of that by 1650.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

PittTheElder posted:

I really hope there's some mechanic that will stop the Europeans from conquering all of that by 1650.
You'd probably need something like every non-coastal tropical province in Africa having a massively reduced supply limit, maybe combat width too, and then give Sub-Saharan Africans a supply limit and combat width bonus in tropical provinces that offsets this. Actually, you should probably also give everyone else a negative combat modifier in those provinces too, so the Africans can truly fend them off. Would make sense too, I doubt you'd have much fighting spirit if struck by some tropical disease. In terms of AI, Paradox will hopefully push the Europeans to go for India instead, because it hardly seems like they care now.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

All territory outside Europe exists for my European power to conquer and paint my color. :colbert:

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

PittTheElder posted:

I really don't get why you want everything so railroaded. If Portugal wants to spend all that admin coring this, so be it.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

PittTheElder posted:

I'd like to see ships/high trade tech get a bigger trade multiplier against technologically inferior nations, so I don't feel so compelled to conquer the whole coast. Or maybe let me ship trade directly from India/Indonesia to the Cape?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
It being more heavily tied to tech would make keeping up on diplo tech slightly more important too.

Tahirovic posted:

I really don't get why you want everything so railroaded. If Portugal wants to spend all that admin coring this, so be it.

Because Africa isn't the same as something like Portuguese Mexico where, if things turned out differently, they could have gone there- the tropical African diseases meant Europeans were literally unable to colonize the place until advances in medicine in the 19th century.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Koramei posted:

Because Africa isn't the same as something like Portuguese Mexico where, if things turned out differently, they could have gone there- the tropical African diseases meant Europeans were literally unable to colonize the place until advances in medicine in the 19th century.
Yeah it would be neat if there was an attrition mechanic associated with tech groups or something, so Euros going to Central Africa would get murdered by disease but those tech groups can fight each other just fine. This would also be a way to try to get rid of the stupid Hostile Core Creation cost - make the North Africans get that based on their Muslim tech level (would would not be as severe as the Central African Tech group's) and their traditions make it twice as powerful or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I like the idea of conquests of Africa being harder as long as it comes with stuff to still let the Portugals funnel trade from the east. The ocean expansion seems like the perfect time to overhaul trade companies in a way to remove some of the weird stuff like protectorates not being that great because noones going to ask for one and by the time you conquer a backwards tech you can probably just take the trade provinces, admin points not withstanding. Maybe something with some sort of influence from trading in the node lets you lock down trade agreements without a perfect diplo storm, or a trade post meta map that lets you set up shop in important trade provinces without conquering or the like.

• Locked thread