Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChrisHansen
Oct 28, 2014

Suck my damn balls.
Lipstick Apathy
All of you are wrong. PA Dutch pickles are best and I will fight you to the death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
A kosher dill spear to the heart. My only weakness!

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

numberoneposter posted:

WRONG.

WRONG AGAIN.

Looks like that company might have tanked in 2012. I was gonna buy some so I could verify your wrongness, but it looks like the invisible hand of the free market took care of it for me.

McClure's FTW, McClure's for life.

sorry for your lots, if those pickles are actually gone forever. I really do want to try them.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

NmareBfly posted:

Claussen are unequivocally the best pickles.

Among the cheapish national brands yes I agree.

I like them middle Eastern ones in a can a lot too though

A pickle is real good because it is both a food and a drink

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

numberoneposter posted:

WRONG.

WRONG AGAIN.

I never seen these but they cloudy like the Bubbies and bubbies are real good but then they fucken better be at 2-3x the price of the ol Claussens

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

AEMINAL posted:

Looks like cat food, tastes like dad food (mackarel)

Does anyone ITT happen to have cats? How do they react when you feast on dines, must be pretty annoying????

I have 2 cats which show no interest in dines either when I'm eating straight from the can, or when I made the whole house reek doing fisherman's eggs this past weekend. One has never begged for people food; the other will straight up punch a piece of Popeye's spicy fried chicken out of your hand (we actually have to spell out "Popeye's" the way people do saying the word "walk" around dogs), but gives no fucks about any kind of fish. So I dunno. I guess they're broken?

Also, my pickles are the best pickles. Making your own pickles is easy and fun and you can tweak them to just how you like them for pickle superiority!

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

King of Bees posted:

I like pickled okra IMO.

there is nothing opinion about that. okra pickles are good

if one were to combine dines and pickled okra, would you put the okra inside the dine of remove the seeds and slime and put the dine inside the okra?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

JacquelineDempsey posted:

I have 2 cats which show no interest in dines either when I'm eating straight from the can, or when I made the whole house reek doing fisherman's eggs this past weekend. One has never begged for people food; the other will straight up punch a piece of Popeye's spicy fried chicken out of your hand (we actually have to spell out "Popeye's" the way people do saying the word "walk" around dogs), but gives no fucks about any kind of fish. So I dunno. I guess they're broken?

Also, my pickles are the best pickles. Making your own pickles is easy and fun and you can tweak them to just how you like them for pickle superiority!

Post pickle recipe also what they taste like at the end so I can know if they are dumb or good

Lathespin.gif
May 19, 2005
Pillbug

pr0k posted:

I got my prize too!

Here's a "First place" package:

Three tins of 'dines, a 'dine can lid, a coupon for a tin of 'dines, and a 'dine bottle opener. :cool:

BaconCopter posted:

Trip report: the KO sardine tin lid is loving amazing.

That looks super useful, except for the part where I never, never have any leftover KO's to worry about... If it fits beach cliff or brunnies tins it would be perfect for the cats, they get half a tin of cheap waterpacked deens once in a while as a treat.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

I'm sure Strubs stillcexists but maybe not outside Canada fancy pants grocery stores and Ontario. The pickle is so good if they don't exist I don't think I could eat another pickle.

In othrer dad news I organize a heck of a lot of window blinds and also put three of them on some windows. Many more to go. Wish me luck!

numberoneposter fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Feb 18, 2016

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

Sizone posted:

there is nothing opinion about that. okra pickles are good

if one were to combine dines and pickled okra, would you put the okra inside the dine of remove the seeds and slime and put the dine inside the okra?

I...I don't know. I am intrigued by this idea though.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
I made my own cloudy pickles. It's cheap and easy.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf

JacquelineDempsey posted:

your cat must be broken from fast food indulgence :(

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

pr0k posted:

I made my own cloudy pickles. It's cheap and easy.

Recipie

You buncha crudos doing pickle hit and runs itt I won't stand for it

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Sheep-Goats posted:

A pickle is real good because it is both a food and a drink

Pickles and booze is Dad-as. Good booze to accompany pickles includes Bourbon, Slivovitz and Vodka.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Other things I like pickled: eggs, Brussels sprouts, onions, peppers, green beans, myself. There's more but I'm outta time.

ChrisHansen
Oct 28, 2014

Suck my damn balls.
Lipstick Apathy
Count me in as a pickle recipe wanter

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Okay I guess there might be some handmade arsenal small batch organic pickles made by a virgin monk under a waterfall that are better than claussen but basically i'm just saying if anyone goes to a regular grocery store and comes out with vlassic they should get that crap slapped out of their hand and then have their face rubbed in the broken glass and brine like a dog who pooped somewhere inappropriate. This is also true of beach cliff sardines.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

ChrisHansen posted:

Count me in as a pickle recipe wanter

Same.

These are delicious-

Now how about some beef jerky talk?!

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
The dadliness of this thread has reached new heights

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Someone better post their pickle recipe pronto or I'm turning the car around and we're NOT getting ice cream

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

My pickle knowledge is pretty limited to just going with refrigerated Claussens. Shelf-stable pickles seem to be universally disappointing.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

A friend of mine makes ghost pepper pickles. Besides the unwavering heat, they're pretty tasty.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

doctorfrog posted:

My pickle knowledge is pretty limited to just going with refrigerated Claussens. Shelf-stable pickles seem to be universally disappointing.

they are shelf stable because they have been, get this, pickled. Only pickled thing that should require refrigeration outside of once it's been opened is won bok kimchee

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Sizone posted:

they are shelf stable because they have been, get this, pickled. Only pickled thing that should require refrigeration outside of once it's been opened is won bok kimchee

No bud pickling something isn't the same as preserving it. It can help but a lot of times if you pickle something to the point of being shelf stable you ruin it. Most shelf stable pickles are pickled for flavor and then basically canned (heated to poo poo and sealed). Lots of pickled stuff needs to be refrigerated after its done so it doesn't spoil too quickly.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
dude, the pickle is a prerefridgerator concept. you're talking about, like, brine and vinegar flavored fresh vegetable twaddle.

either brined then canned, or salted enough and placed in an acidic enough solution that it will last until the next harvest is the way of the goddamn pickle.

will you hurry up and learn how to whip already?

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
How much is a barrel of salted pork going for these days?

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

The best pickles are made from eggs.

naem
May 29, 2011

Groats and hoes

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

im going to get belligerently drunk this weekend and eat some kind of sardine thing while i make pickles

pickle my liver while i pickle some cukes and hot peps

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

numberoneposter posted:

belligerently drunk

Like there's another type of drunk :rolleyes:

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

VendaGoat posted:

Like there's another type of drunk :rolleyes:

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

The best pickles are made from eggs.

Now we're talking real dad snacks.

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

doctorfrog posted:

Go get you some grillo pickles. Full of dill and garlic.

Planning on making something with sardines tomorrow, barring that, I'm gonna use the rest of those anchovies I opened for spaghetti a couple days ago (which was loving amazing, everyone should add anchovies to their red sauce).

sock it to me!
Feb 7, 2010
Bubbie's pickles are the poo poo. They are "truly pickled", without vinegar, however the gently caress that works.

Also there is a great brand of pickles called TRÜ that I've only been able to get at ACE hardware, which makes them by default the dadliest pickles.

sock it to me!
Feb 7, 2010
Here is thread favorite Alton Brown's pickle recipe. He's one dadly motherfucker, and the patron saint of this thread.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/dill-pickles-recipe.html

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Capoeira Capybara posted:

Bubbie's pickles are the poo poo. They are "truly pickled", without vinegar, however the gently caress that works.

Two kinds of pickles:

One kind is where you dump vinegar (acetic acid) and and brine spices and poo poo on top of the vegetables and let them sit in the vinegar. The other kind is where you skip the vinegar, and let the vegetables ferment, and the growing bacteria population produces lactic acid. Either way, the goal is to get the pH down low enough that spoilage bacteria won't grow well.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Capoeira Capybara posted:

Probably means the sourness comes from acid actually generated by fermentation.

Yeah what Phanatic said.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

My favourite store-bought pickles are claussen and then ba-tampte, and then making them yourself (I prefer kosher dill types but w/e) is really fun and good and you should try it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lupin
Feb 21, 2007
Best recipe I've made is by Michael Ruhlman

Traditional Dill Pickles

The quality of the vegetable is especially important here. If you start with mediocre grocery store baby cukes, you're not likely to produce a crisp dill pickle. We recommend that you only pickle little cucumbers in season, when they are abundant.

The Brine:
5 tbsp/65grams kosher salt
1 tsp/2grams dill seed
1/2cup/125ml white wine vinegar
1 tsp/3 grams black peppercorns
1 tbsp/10 grams pickling spice (store-bought or the following recipe)
5 cupes/1.25l water

1 bunch fresh dill
10 baby cucumbers (about a pound) washed

1. Combine all the brine ingredients in a small pot, bring to a boil, and boil for 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool completely.
2. Place the dill and cucumbers in a jar or other nonreactive container just large enough to hold them and the brine and pour the brine over them. Allow to pickle in the fridge for 3 weeks, or until they are sour and thoroughly flavored by the herbs and spices. The pickles will keep a month or more in the fridge

*Pickling Spice

2tbsp/20grams black peppercorns
2 tbsp/20grams mustard seeds
2tbsp/20 grams coriander seeds
2tbsp/12 grams hot pepper places
2tbsp/14 grams allspice berries
1tbsp/8grams ground mace
2 small cinnamon sticks, crushed or broken into pieces
24 bay leaves, crumbled
2tbsp/6 grams whole cloves
1tbsp/8 grams ground ginger

Lightly toast peppercorns,mustard seeds, and coriander seeds then smash with a small knife just to crack them. Then combine with remaining ingredients and store in a airtight container

A drat tasty dill pickle