Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

codenameFANGIO posted:

Just love hotels.

Don't rent the "Mario Sunshine" room.

You think you'll get a place with some soothing tropical background designs but it's just a bunch of large dudes who take turns chucking you across the air.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bungbroy
Dec 14, 2004

Sweet teats of the godbung, lend me thy broys

Bruceski posted:

Is there a good guide out there for Bayonetta 2 weapons (text preferred, youtube videos tend to be full of padding and difficult to find the info I want) that goes beyond the in-game descriptions? The swords were very straightforward, but I'm having trouble figuring out the niche for the bow and flame/icethrowers, and I figure I'll keep having this issue as new weapons come along. They just don't seem to have any punch.

I'm playing right now too, so far the flame/icethrowers I've just been using on my feet paired with the swords in my hands. They seem straightforward as far as stringing combo's with the swords. I've yet to figure out the point of the bow, it is just so slow and does small damage. The later weapons are much more interesting imo.

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

smell this posted:

how boring

That what you get when you book Hotel Mario.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiG2TegnKU0

I really really hope you'll be able to mute that announcer. This game looks amazing but that completely ruins it and Nintendo tutorial buddies usually don't annoy me.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Fyi, the best Bayonetta weapon is the whips

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Chandelure's cutesy voice in Pokkén doesn't fit it very well, in my mind it has a deep manly voice like Gastly

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

wrong

rocket launcher > scythe > chain chomp > the rest > bow

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

absolutely anything posted:

no you don't understand *wheels out board plastered with pictures of different mario rpgs with strings connecting them* let's start from the beginning

the series has been lifeless since ttyd :colbert: Paper Mario looks like a diorama. Paper sprites have small contrast issues that make them look like they're printed. Backgrounds are scribbled in crayon and the skybox is clearly meant to be the back panel of a shoebox diorama. Everything in ttyd is the cleanest white paper painted with vector precision and random nonsense gradients on parts of their bodies.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I want a Mario RPG with Fire Emblem's dynasty system.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I want a Bioware style Mario RPG in a sandbox like GTAV.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

in bayonetta 2 i liked to always have a combination of scarborough fair and love is blue in a set. but yes the whips are objectively the best weapons and the flamethrowers/icethrowers are probably the worst weapons. bow is dope but its kinda situational i think? i liked pairing it with the chain chomp to hit hard from a distance and then swapping to guns whenever i wanted to go in.

in bayo 1 i liked pairing shuraba with odette, sai-fung ruled also

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Help Im Alive posted:

I actually am legit surprised to see someone complain about the Dream Team/Paper Jam art style though, the Mario + Luigi sprites/models/whatever are especially great

People would probably stop complaining about the NSMB games so much if they looked like that

Of the list of the many things you can find fault with in Dream Team, I would say character design would be at the absolute bottom.
The way the characters are so charming and expressive is pretty much the only thing that kept me going through that game.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001

Waltzing Along posted:

I want a Bioware style Mario RPG in a sandbox like GTAV.

Will you take a Bioware style Sonic RPG? Because good news --

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Let's... let's agree not to talk about that.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Saoshyant posted:

*gobbles*

Thunder Bear
Jul 27, 2009

fig. 0143

Saoshyant posted:

Not too long ago, I ordered Meteos DS used from Amazon, to replace the copy I had lost when I was younger.

They sent me Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood instead, in a Meteos box.

The disappointment was palpable.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Oh wow, that's the worst Amazon rip-off I've ever heard of.

I got the GBA Harvest Moon off of Amazon like 10 years ago, and it turned out to be counterfeit. Save battery kept wiping, but it was like $12 so what could I do?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I forgot what meteos is. I know I have a copy, just picked it up because it was cheap at Gamestop and I knew it was very highly rated. Like top 10 DS games or something.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Meteos is Sakurai's puzzle game.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Meteos is Sakurai's puzzle game.
How could you tell?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

mods please change my name to wireless fusion

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Waltzing Along posted:

I forgot what meteos is. I know I have a copy, just picked it up because it was cheap at Gamestop and I knew it was very highly rated. Like top 10 DS games or something.

it's a really good match-four game

Scratch-O
Apr 27, 2009

My goodness!
gently caress, I want a new Meteos game. What's the status with the weird legal thing they had going on for a while, that was preventing Sakurai from making a new one?

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i can also say without irony i would've liked meteos more if it had the panel de pon fairies and music

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

I have trouble getting into Meteos but I still appreciate its existence

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Looper posted:

i can also say without irony i would've liked meteos more if it had the panel de pon fairies and music

Every game would be better with panel de pon trappings

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Scratch-O posted:

gently caress, I want a new Meteos game. What's the status with the weird legal thing they had going on for a while, that was preventing Sakurai from making a new one?

It's with the Lumines creator now. No idea what he plans to do with it, but his newest Lumines game is releasing sometime this summer on mobile, so maybe we'll hear something about Meteos then.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Scratch-O posted:

Sakurai made the game for Q Entertainment and they own the IP. They made a couple more games without Sakurai - a Disney-fied version for DS and a XBLA version that I haven't played.

Meteos > Lumines, by the way.

Thunder Bear
Jul 27, 2009

fig. 0143
Is there any hope for a new Meteos for 3DS or even Lumines 3DS? I've never played Lumines for lack of a PSP, but have always heard it was better than Meteos.

FAKE EDIT:

Until now!

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Sakurai made the game for Q Entertainment and they own the IP. They made a couple more games without Sakurai - a Disney-fied version for DS and a XBLA version that I haven't played.

Both the sequels were pretty bad.

It's not the same without the weird planets.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
WTF Nintendo?

quote:

*Does not include Pokkén Tournament software, Due to software design player one must use the Wii U GamePad for local battles.

https://ebgames.com.au/wiiu-215568-Pokken-Tournament-Pro-Pad-Wii-U-Controller-Wii-U

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Makes sense since the game is a behind the back perspective. Still sucks though.

What is the point of that controller over the normal Wii U controllers? At least the GC controller has a different layout that someone may prefer for Smash but that one is pretty much the same just without sticks on top of each side. I'd also think that sticks would be better for a 3D fighter than a dpad.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Feb 18, 2016

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Yeah, that's been known for a while. The game uses the gamepad screen for local multiplayer so one player has to use the gamepad. Local multiplayer also runs at 30FPS.

There is a LAN option that lets you connect two consoles for 60FPS local multiplayer but I don't know if it'll let you use non-gamepad controllers in that configuration.

Also, the Pokken controller looks awful.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

SeANMcBAY posted:

Makes sense since the game is a behind the back perspective. Still sucks though.

What is the point of that controller over the normal Wii U controllers? At least the GC controller has a different layout that someone may prefer for Smash but that one is pretty much the same just without sticks on top of each side.

Its a copy of the controller used on the arcade machine, which reminds me, did any of the arcade machines manage to escape japan?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Its a copy of the controller used on the arcade machine, which reminds me, did any of the arcade machines manage to escape japan?

They did one or two location tests in the US but I don't know how they went (poorly, I presume).

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Yeah, that's been known for a while. The game uses the gamepad screen for local multiplayer so one player has to use the gamepad. Local multiplayer also runs at 30FPS.

There is a LAN option that lets you connect two consoles for 60FPS local multiplayer but I don't know if it'll let you use non-gamepad controllers in that configuration.

Also, the Pokken controller looks awful.

I dunno, I think it looks okay. I'm half-curious to see if VC games will recognise it for a pseudo-SNES controller feel.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

It most definitely won't work for VC games. It would have to replicate the signal sent by one of the existing supported controllers, which are all wireless.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

They did one or two location tests in the US but I don't know how they went (poorly, I presume).

Apparently there are a few machines in America and all the impressions I've seen have been negative. I'm fully expecting Pokken at EVO 2016 to be a trainwreck.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

The problem is that Pokken looks fun for everyone, and that's not going to work in the FGC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Takoluka posted:

The problem is that Pokken looks fun for everyone

It does? It looked like the most boring implementation of a Pokemon fighting game to me, and believe me I really didn't want to feel that way!

• Locked thread