Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Just buy a new phone when you need a new cable, obviously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Endless Mike posted:

You're right. No connector should ever change ever because god forbid someone should have to spend $6 on a cable after buying a $700 phone!

When I switched from PATA to SATA I didn't have to worry that buying the wrong SATA cable would fry my $700 device.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

My phone only charges in 30 minutes when it could be charging in 26. This is an outrage

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
All you idiots constantly talking about USB-C "frying your phone" realise that some lovely company could just as easily wire up a USB-micro-A cable the wrong way and cause the exact same thing, right? The flaw in that one specific cable that broke a Chromebook Pixel had nothing to do with it being USB-C.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

The real question is will usb c ports stand up to abuse better than a seemingly high number of microusb ports they over time require ever more precise plugging to get to charge

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
The other advantage to USB-C is, once it's on everything it will be the only cable you need. One cord will be your power, your data, your display out, etc. I'd say that's a pretty big plus (as long as no one else goes the MacBook route of only putting one goddamn C port on the device).

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Tunga posted:

All you idiots constantly talking about USB-C "frying your phone" realise that some lovely company could just as easily wire up a USB-micro-A cable the wrong way and cause the exact same thing, right? The flaw in that one specific cable that broke a Chromebook Pixel had nothing to do with it being USB-C.

No, don't you see? There's a handful of no-name Chinese brands that are bad actors in the market, so it just needs to be abandoned altogether instead of spending 30 seconds to research known-good ones to buy.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Endless Mike posted:

No, don't you see? There's a handful of no-name Chinese brands that are bad actors in the market, so it just needs to be abandoned altogether instead of spending 30 seconds to research known-good ones to buy.

The point is that you don't even have to spend that 30 seconds with regular microusb cables. It Just Works.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Whizbang posted:

The point is that you don't even have to spend that 30 seconds with regular microusb cables. It Just Works.
I promise you it doesn't if you wire the pins up randomly.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm sure you will make up those 30 seconds when you don't have to fumble with that terrible connector.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Is Samsung wrong to make the calculation to avoid USB-C because there's bad cables on the market? No.

Are people wrong to think USB-C is poo poo because of these bad cables? Definitely.

Are people wrong to value not having to bother with new chargers or cables? Nope.

Is the USB-C connector awesome? Yes!

Are people wrong to expect to be able to just buy any USB-C cable and their device will be fine? No, they're not.

Is it hard to get a good USB-C cable? No.

I can't think of anything else...can we move on to a more interesting subject? (probably not)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

Is Samsung wrong to make the calculation to avoid USB-C because there's bad cables on the market? No.

Are people wrong to think USB-C is poo poo because of these bad cables? Definitely.

Are people wrong to value not having to bother with new chargers or cables? Nope.

Are people wrong to expect to be able to just buy any USB-C cable and their device will be fine? No, they're not.

I can't think of anything else...can we move on to a more interesting subject? (probably not)

Let me tell you about SD cards...

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

Thermopyle posted:

Haven't touched on grip tape in a while

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

So will I be able to remove my battery this cycle?

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

vyst posted:

No, but it has a crank on the side you can use to charge the battery manually.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Bad cables aside, USB-C is still a confusing mix of cable types when you can find them. I was looking for an A-to-C cable at Micro Center and they had no less than eight cable types:
  • C to C
  • A male to C
  • C to A female
  • C to B male
with each of those in both USB 2.0 and USB 3.1 signaling types. If you buy one at random, it's a 1/4 chance it will work for charging depending on the kind of charger you want to use. Sure this is something we all can figure out, but Joe Sixpack looking for a charge cable for his car has a good chance of getting the wrong thing.

USB-C will be great once the rest of the world is on USB-C. I think Samsung's position is that there's no harm in being late to the party, though.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

USB-C is a great spec because of how vast its potential is.

Most phones up to this point haven't even remotely used that potential, though. They're not being used as video output, they're still transferring at USB 2.0 speeds, so... they're functionally just micro USB cables that can be plugged in with two orientations rather than one.

Given that, I don't really give a poo poo what a company goes with. Plugging in is a little easier with USB-C, but I already have a bunch of cables for micro USB, so it's basically a wash.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Whizbang posted:

No, but it has a crank on the side you can use to charge the battery manually.

As long as it doesn't interfere with the grip tape

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
gently caress all this where is my flagship sub-5" android phone

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

go3 posted:

gently caress all this where is my flagship sub-5" android phone

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

vyst posted:

As long as it doesn't interfere with the grip tape
The grip tape interferes with my ability to fast charge the phone by fastballing it into a wall.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
I have grip tape on my LG G4.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

vyst posted:

Rumor is, yes for the G5.

Ohvee
Jun 17, 2001

Captain Yossarian posted:

Lol is right... I stop at the shiftiest Mc Donalds from time to time and no one's ever batted an eye at Android Pay except the stoned chick that said "oh cool"
The lady taking my order a few weeks ago told me to be careful because people driving by can hack my payment :\

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Ohvee posted:

The lady taking my order a few weeks ago told me to be careful because people driving by can hack my payment :\

I stopped at the shady McDonald's this morning because of this thread AND there was a cop there. It worked fine and I didn't cause a scene, but I think i missed the opportunity :(

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Ohvee posted:

Actually semi-theoretically true of contactless payment cards. My bank just issued me a new debit card without the contactless payment feature.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Rastor posted:

Actually semi-theoretically true of contactless payment cards. My bank just issued me a new debit card without the contactless payment feature.

I'm the guy sitting at the closest booth to the counter, which is 30' away, for 4 hours a day hoping to skim the possibly one person to use contactless pay.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Ohvee posted:

McDonald's cashiers are secretly experts in contactless payment security.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Anyone looking for a great cheap Android phone, the MotoG 16GB is down to $90 on amazon today, that's incredible.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H0MGCDK?tag=tbdailydeal-20

edit ugh that's the first gen. forget it.

Super-NintendoUser fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Feb 18, 2016

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
This is an LG Remarq.

I bought an LG Remarq in December of 2010. I used it exclusively until yesterday, when I got a Nexus 6p. I've never used an Android device. Think of me as an adult seeing Star Wars for the first time without ever having been spoiled on anything. I have no idea about the most basic things. So many options! My Remarq had AIM and a Myspace app. Can anyone tell me who I should buy a case from?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

That's quite the remarqable upgrade.

(Groan if you want, someone had to do it.)

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

cheerfullydrab posted:

This is an LG Remarq.

I bought an LG Remarq in December of 2010. I used it exclusively until yesterday, when I got a Nexus 6p. I've never used an Android device. Think of me as an adult seeing Star Wars for the first time without ever having been spoiled on anything. I have no idea about the most basic things. So many options! My Remarq had AIM and a Myspace app. Can anyone tell me who I should buy a case from?

Welcome to the future, friend! Congratulations on your Nexus 6P, it is an excellent choice.

Diztronic cases are well regarded. You can also find all kinds of stuff on eBay.

Here are some getting started guides:
http://www.cnet.com/how-to/getting-started-with-your-new-android/

http://time.com/95948/new-android-phone-guide/

(You don't have to do the remove bloatware step because you chose a Nexus).

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

You're in luck. MySpace has an Android app

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
Re: 6P cases I have the Spigen Neo Hybrid EX with the gunmetal bumper and it looks awesome

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

E.T. NO HOMO posted:

Re: 6P cases I have the Spigen Neo Hybrid EX with the gunmetal bumper and it looks awesome

Confirming this.

The official 6p case from Google is also pretty nice, but the USB cutout is too small for many 3rd party USB-C cables.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Picked up a 5X a couple weeks ago and one little thing has been driving me nuts.

All I listen to on my phone are podcasts with pocketcasts. Every few days when my headphone/car connect to bluetooth and I try to play something, it just starts playing tracks from my google music account. Ive never opened google music myself and yet it just starts playing the same track every time. My Nexus 5 never did this.

I didnt want to uninstall it but I eventually got fed up and learned I cant get rid of it on the 5X. Is there some way I can get it to go away?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
On the subject of 6P cases, has anyone made a decent bumper for it? I use the official case but I'd love to see the back of the phone.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

My wife has a Samsung Note 4 and instead of dying when the battery gets low, it gets stuck in a boot loop and gets hot. Battery life and other functions are normal otherwise. Anyone know how to keep it from doing this aside from the obvious "charge it"?

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

Tunga posted:

On the subject of 6P cases, has anyone made a decent bumper for it? I use the official case but I'd love to see the back of the phone.

I use a Rhinoshield - it's $25USD, but it's solid as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

E.T. NO HOMO posted:

Case manufacturers getting their naming schemes from Capcom, I see.