Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
uh guys warren spector is working on a new ultima underworld game and system shock 3, what is this world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Sagebrush posted:

i finished half-life 2 again last night and according to the steam play counter it took about 17 hours.

no loving way it takes that long especially if you've already played it

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

half life 2 is way longer than you remember it being. there are entire multiple hour long sections I had forgotten, like large parts of the prison

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

if half-life 3 came out and was the same length and quality as half-life 2 i would happily pay $60 for it

i paid $60 on release for portal 2 and do not regret it one iota

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Tomorrows SEGA game freebies on Steam:

Streets of Rage II Arcade Classic
Binary Domain
Condemned: Criminal Origins

Already own the latter two, for free you're getting a hella good deal - Hobo Beating Sim is especially worth a look.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Necc0 posted:

no loving way it takes that long especially if you've already played it

you could run through it faster, but no, that's what the counter indicated.

the prison was a lot longer than i remembered, as was the coast road, and the street fighting leading up to the citadel. it's a truly old-world shooter

remember that episode 1 and 2 came out and they had to call them episodic content because they were "only" about 10 hours long

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
"too long" is one of the valid criticisms of hl2. every part overstays its welcome, some by a lot (prison, airboat)

craisins
May 17, 2004

A DRIIIIIIIIIIIIVE!
I have an og 3ds, are there newer games that I can't even play now with the c-stick/nub and anything else?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

what in the ever living gently caress is miitomo

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot

craisins posted:

I have an og 3ds, are there newer games that I can't even play now with the c-stick/nub and anything else?
only game i know of is xenoblade, but monster hunter 4 ultimate is improved a lot by the nub, and iirc it has better textures on the n3ds

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Notorious QIG posted:

if half-life 3 came out and was the same length and quality as half-life 2 i would happily pay $60 for it

i paid $60 on release for portal 2 and do not regret it one iota

i took a video game sick day for the portal 2 release

craisins
May 17, 2004

A DRIIIIIIIIIIIIVE!

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i took a video game sick day for the portal 2 release

I told my boss years ago that I would take a week off when Diablo 3 came out. still in the shrink wrap.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
diablo 3 was pretty good the last time i played it (right after the expansion came out)

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

craisins posted:

I told my boss years ago that I would take a week off when Diablo 3 came out. still in the shrink wrap.

Nice one having the same job for multiple years, loser.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
ugh. i want to play r6 siege but all the blatant hacks makes me not even launch the game

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Those're some pretty strong hacks then.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
*watches prospekt trailer*

*alucard voice* I'm interested in this

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Internaut! posted:

I love shooters but meh single player - what's the point unless you can own some fudd online so hard he beats his kids afterwards?

fired up Street Fighter 5 tonight holy poo poo do not buy, they obviously rushed this thing out the door and even the servers aren't ready - unless you wanna play the barebones game with bros in your living room then wait for a significant patch like 3 months from now

you'd be the kind of person who considers child abuse success. also sf5 will never be good because it is a bad game at its core

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
Giant Bomb video with Jon Blow about The Witness

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot
ok i take back what i said about tomb of the mask

it is fun and responds well to quick rapid swipes, which work well with just going forward and not stopping to think

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

ScrubLeague posted:

Giant Bomb video with Jon Blow about The Witness
how about no

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
It's pretty cool watching a mad scientist talk about his weird puzzle game next to some guys who are like "I wanted to text you 'go gently caress yourself' like 50 times."

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

haveblue posted:

"too long" is one of the valid criticisms of hl2. every part overstays its welcome, some by a lot (prison, airboat)

Looking back maybe, but when it came out I feel like that was par for the course

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

People these days just have no attention span and get angry if they aren't presented with a new stimulus every 20 minutes

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

I read half a novel last night.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Sagebrush posted:

People these days just have no attention span and get angry if they aren't presented with a new stimulus every 20 minutes

authors said the same thing when movies first came out

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Sagebrush posted:

im not reading all of this

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

CrazyLittle posted:

ugh. i want to play r6 siege but all the blatant hacks makes me not even launch the game
how bad has it gotten? haven't touched it in a month

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Pinterest Mom posted:

I read half a novel last night.

Books are actually good

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
when hl2 first came out Big Open Environments were still a trendy thing to do, which mostly translated to making a map overly big with Things To Do on the other side of the map and giving the player a car to get there

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

authors said the same thing when movies first came out

yeah but games have gotten way more overtly designed to please in the years since hl2 came out

all the big studios have psychologists helping design their systems. it's a treadmill now in a way it wasn't in 2004

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Blackula69 posted:

yeah but games have gotten way more overtly designed to please in the years since hl2 came out

all the big studios have psychologists helping design their systems. it's a treadmill now in a way it wasn't in 2004

*is a journalist in modern 24 hour news cycle*

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Blackula69 posted:

truly for video games to be art they need everything that was there when i was 12 years old something missing from today

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

yeah it turns out people are dumb animals that respond in predictable ways to basic stimuli

Trump 2016

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Blackula69 posted:

lmao

both big budget grindfests and slow, deliberate games can (and do!) exist, just as both art films and Michael Bay movies exist.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Pinterest Mom posted:

lmao

both big budget grindfests and slow, deliberate games can (and do!) exist, just as both art films and Michael Bay movies exist.

michael bay movies are art

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cz9OgW4JAJ8

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

Cat Face Joe posted:

you'd be the kind of person who considers child abuse success. also sf5 will never be good because it is a bad game at its core

lol how many participation trophies do you have on the shelf

anyone played Unravel? looks gorgeous:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSnVtj7aFq8

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

Pinterest Mom posted:

lmao

yeah but hl3 isn't going to be an arthouse game

also michael bay's movies are terrible and he uses the same techniques for every single shot. that's not even including his loathsome treatment of women and his awful sense of humour. i'm not clicking that video, because anyone who tries to defend his movies is wrong

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
that video is not a defense of michael bay as an artist, it's much worse

his verizon commercial is funny though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I thought The Rock was pretty good

• Locked thread