Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Grey Hunter posted:

I took that base they had all their fighters at – and it had no ground defences!

Does this mean those are your planes now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

ZiegeDame posted:

Does this mean those are your planes now?

Nope; they're considered destroyed on the ground, I think.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Isn't that a really tiny airfield? Or am I reading that tooltip all wrong?

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

With all the Casulties at Bataan: Why are we even attacking the place? Surely, we could take 60K of the 80K troops away now to attack singapore/ DEI, and just wait a month for them to run out of supplies and mop up with 20K? As instead, we're kept 80K troops there for several weeks, all the while the ampibious bonus is ticking towards ending.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

goatface posted:

Isn't that a really tiny airfield? Or am I reading that tooltip all wrong?

It's small but not teeny tiny.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

nothing to seehere posted:

With all the Casulties at Bataan: Why are we even attacking the place? Surely, we could take 60K of the 80K troops away now to attack singapore/ DEI, and just wait a month for them to run out of supplies and mop up with 20K? As instead, we're kept 80K troops there for several weeks, all the while the ampibious bonus is ticking towards ending.

Because Bataan has production so they won't run out of supplies unless we bleed them.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
He is actually making good progress given the giant numbers of destroyed squads he is exchanging for his casualities

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Completely unrelated but I'd like to recommend Tameichi Hara's autobiography, Japanese Destroyer Captain, to everyone in this thread. He's a pretty good writer (and is understandably a bit emotional about a number of events) and the only Japanese destroyer captain to make it through the war from beginning to end. Also he's got plenty of interesting statements and observations to make and it is generally an excellent source of insight about how hosed Japan was (completely) for which reasons and how aware various groups of Japanese officers were of that fact.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Mikl posted:

Random question: does this game model fog of war conditions for the player's own units? That is, is it possible to have a ship disappear on you and never find out what happened to it?

(This question prompted by reading about USS Indianapolis, which was sunk by a sub while under radio silence and went down so quickly that the crew didn't have time to send out a distress call so the higher-ups didn't know what the gently caress had happened to her until the few remaining survivors were found four days later.)

Nope. You have a God's eye view and communications reach over your units.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

gradenko_2000 posted:

Nope. You have a God's eye view and communications reach over your units.

If you can find them in the UI.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Mikl posted:

Random question: does this game model fog of war conditions for the player's own units? That is, is it possible to have a ship disappear on you and never find out what happened to it?

(This question prompted by reading about USS Indianapolis, which was sunk by a sub while under radio silence and went down so quickly that the crew didn't have time to send out a distress call so the higher-ups didn't know what the gently caress had happened to her until the few remaining survivors were found four days later.)

Japanese submarine slammed two torpedoes into our side, Chief. We was comin' back from the island of Tinian to Leyte... just delivered the bomb. The Hiroshima bomb. Eleven hundred men went into the water. Vessel went down in 12 minutes. Didn't see the first shark for about a half an hour. Tiger. Thirteen footer. You know... you know that when you're in the water, chief? You tell by lookin' from the dorsal to the tail. Well, we didn't know... 'cause our bomb mission had been so secret, no distress signal had been sent, huh. They didn't even list us overdue for a week. Very first light, chief. The sharks come cruisin'. So we formed ourselves into tight groups. You know it's... kinda like 'ol squares in battle like uh, you see on a calendar, like the Battle of Waterloo. And the idea was, the shark goes to the nearest man and then he'd start poundin' and hollerin' and screamin' and sometimes the shark would go away. Sometimes he wouldn't go away. Sometimes that shark, he looks right into you. Right into your eyes. You know the thing about a shark, he's got... lifeless eyes, black eyes, like a doll's eye. When he comes at ya, doesn't seem to be livin'. Until he bites ya and those black eyes roll over white. And then, ah... then you hear that terrible high pitch screamin' and the ocean turns red and spite of all the poundin' and the hollerin' they all come in and rip you to pieces. Y'know by the end of that first dawn, lost a hundred men! I don't know how many sharks there were... maybe a thousand! I don't know how many men, they averaged six an hour. On Thursday mornin' chief, I bumped into a friend of mine, Herbie Robinson from Cleveland. Baseball player, Bosun's Mate. I thought he was asleep, reached over to wake him up. He bobbed up and down in the water, just like a kinda top. Up ended him into a raft. Well... he'd been bitten in half below the waist. At noon on the fifth day, Mr. Hooper, a Lockheed Ventura saw us, he swung in low and he saw us. He was a young pilot, a lot younger than Mr. Hooper... anyway he saw us and come in low. And three hours later a big fat PBY comes down and start to pick us up. You know that was the time I was most frightened. Waitin' for my turn. I'll never put on a lifejacket again. So, eleven hundred men went in the water, three hundred and sixteen men come out, the sharks took the rest, June the 29th 1945. Anyway, we delivered the bomb.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

SIGSEGV posted:

Completely unrelated but I'd like to recommend Tameichi Hara's autobiography, Japanese Destroyer Captain, to everyone in this thread. He's a pretty good writer (and is understandably a bit emotional about a number of events) and the only Japanese destroyer captain to make it through the war from beginning to end. Also he's got plenty of interesting statements and observations to make and it is generally an excellent source of insight about how hosed Japan was (completely) for which reasons and how aware various groups of Japanese officers were of that fact.

He's not going to turn out to be another Japanese author who was discredited 20 years ago, but only if you can read Japanese, is he?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Night10194 posted:

Goddamn Sharktopus!

My Arch-Nemesis!

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Random question, but does Java have enough supply/fuel production to make it effectively self-sufficient if an Allied player tried to just fortify it like crazy? The issue with doing a Fortress Java strategy in my experience is that Japanese air and naval control over the Java Sea makes it hugely problematic because of the difficulty in keeping the island supplied. And unfortunately all the good ports are on the Java Sea side of the island and there's basically nothing really useful on the Indian Ocean side, so there's little chance of finding at least one kind of safe harbor for supply transfer.

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012

Grey Hunter posted:

The Kido Butai starts hunting once more, and starts by obliterating a destroyer.

This is what we've been needing – some action!

Shooting fish in a barrel!

Does this game provide any way to figure out which carrier's pilots are landing the killing blows? I mean, obviously it's those 30 planes aboard invincible powerhouse Shoho, but just to confirm.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

The main problem is early war you just donj't have the planes in theatre to counter the Japanese Airforce. And if you lose the skies, you have to face severe bombing which will fatigue your units and make em cannon fodder for the japanese army. That's not even including if the KB rolls into town on you.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Winter Stormer posted:

Does this game provide any way to figure out which carrier's pilots are landing the killing blows? I mean, obviously it's those 30 planes aboard invincible powerhouse Shoho, but just to confirm.

The only thing I'm aware that the game tracks with regards to pilot kills are air-to-air victories.

Bombs and torps are harder to determine unless you sink it outright, and fractions of a kill dont get counted as far as I know.

Slippery42
Nov 10, 2011
Java has a fair amount of production, but probably not quite enough to supply the number of ground and air units you'd need to hold it against a determined attack. The good news is Palembang is nearby and makes enough supply for everyone because how the game abstracts supply production from refining oil.

The trickier part about holding the DEI is the lack of replacements the Dutch get. Replacements are determined by nationality, and as far as I know, there's no way to transfer devices (ground units, airframes, etc) from one to another. The Dutch air force completely stops receiving replacements by something early like March '42, so there's no way to keep those squadrons flying after they run out of planes. If an Allied player wants to contest the area, they'll ship in US/Commonwealth airgroups and land units to help out, but that needs to be committed to fairly early on.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Drone posted:

Random question, but does Java have enough supply/fuel production to make it effectively self-sufficient if an Allied player tried to just fortify it like crazy? The issue with doing a Fortress Java strategy in my experience is that Japanese air and naval control over the Java Sea makes it hugely problematic because of the difficulty in keeping the island supplied. And unfortunately all the good ports are on the Java Sea side of the island and there's basically nothing really useful on the Indian Ocean side, so there's little chance of finding at least one kind of safe harbor for supply transfer.

You can do this against the AI, but Fortress Java will eventually fall against a Japanese human player. What happens though is that unless they figure it out what's happening fairly early on, it's going to be a huge pain in the rear end for them to dig you out of there, and even when they do, you might be able to concentrate enough engineers in Palembang that most of the refineries will be scorched-earthed when the base finally falls. The combination of a delayed invasion plan and a heavily damaged Palembang is going to hurt Japan's chances of hitting historical marks.

Winter Stormer posted:

If you watch the combat replays very closely, it's possible to pin down which attack wave from which squadron landed a hit, but I don't think you can see that from the text dump combat reports.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

My Imaginary GF posted:

He's not going to turn out to be another Japanese author who was discredited 20 years ago, but only if you can read Japanese, is he?

Most of his stuff checks out with what other combatants saw and when it doesn't it's the stuff that gets easily explained either way because nobody could know for sure. His major theme is that war is a giant clown show and therefore things like: "They lost that submarine not because we were good but because a guy was smoking while it was surfaced in the rain and I saw that." "That guy hosed up by doing this then." "So and so did really well there." "I hosed up by using the searchlights there." "I sank the Yahagi by dodging by the book instead of using what saved me when I commanded the Shigure." and "We are so, so hosed." form the core of the book.

He's extremely critical of the way the IJN and IJA do things in general.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Can you gently caress around with land leaders and replace MaCarthur and such? Or is that aspect of Army stuff not modelled?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

LordPants posted:

Can you gently caress around with land leaders and replace MaCarthur and such? Or is that aspect of Army stuff not modelled?

You can change the leader of any unit, but they need to be the appropriate rank. Unfortunately, there's no one available at the beginning to replace Mac

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

We hit the beaches once more.

That's nice – a troop ship off Pearl.

Bataan is crumbling now.

We're also picking up the pace cleaning up the southern islands.

Time to rest here.

At least we've cleared some troops out of Sinyang.

We also clear out the north of the city.

A couple more bases taken, and we should see the Bataan defenders begin to crumble soon. I'm going to start moving ships into the area to pick up the troops.

A nice kill.

Hello baby. Things are looking good.

I have to wait for the KB to come back to allow me to re-arrange things now.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
25 knots is a hella slow fleet carrier.

edit - That's a US army Troopship: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USAT_St._Mihiel

goatface fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Feb 18, 2016

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Looks like there are still a lot of U.S. ships around the Phillipenes. Pretty gutsy of them to come in so close to your land based air.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

goatface posted:

25 knots is a hella slow fleet carrier.

Not surprising - she began life as a passenger liner, for which 25 knots is quite fast - the Queen Mary, renowned for her speed, only made 28, and the post-war United States, built expressly to set a speed record in the 50s, and still one of the fastest liners ever built, hit 32.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

My Imaginary GF posted:

If force Z had stayed in port until its radars were repaired, wouldn't it have risked destruction from the air? In the days following Pearl Harbour, I don't think very many admirals nor captains were too keen on keeping their vessels docked at ports within striking range of a surprise Japanese attack.

Probably, but at least they would have had real air cover, had a fuller idea of what was happening and both air defense/srface radar when they did leave.

Really the best thing for Force Z to do, in perfect hindsight, would have been to withdraw to Columbo.

Edit

:argh:

Grey your thread has made me reinstall this game and start playing it again. I was cursing you last night two hours into turn 1.

Edit

The Battlecruiser was probably a fine concept in World War One under a few conditions... It wasn't British with their terrible powder handling up to, and during Jutland, (the German BCs manage pretty well actually), and it wasn't used to fight dreadnoughts.

The reason they were so fast was to outrun the things with more armor and big guns, and the reason they had big guns was to outshoot what they couldn't outrun.

Of course WW2 made the old BCs completely untenable. They lacked the armor to withstand any punishment from the air or highly accurate radar directed fire from similarly gunned surface elements as Hood so wonderfully demonstrated.

On top of that their hulls were incapable of supporting anti-torpedo bulges, and they completely lacked the compartmentalizations that Battleships had, making damage control very difficult. As Repulse demonstrated sinking so drat quickly after just 2 torpedo hits.

I say just because if we look at a battleship like Prince of Wales, she was still making steam and shooting after 3 torpedo hits. It wasn't until a 4th torpedo and a bomb penetration that she foundered.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Feb 18, 2016

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

ZombieLenin posted:

On top of that their hulls were incapable of supporting anti-torpedo bulges

Oh dear. I was not aware of that part.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

ZombieLenin posted:

The Battlecruiser was probably a fine concept in World War One under a few conditions... It wasn't British with their terrible powder handling up to, and during Jutland, (the German BCs manage pretty well actually), and it wasn't used to fight dreadnoughts.

Too be fair, It wasn't until they came within a hairs breadth of losing the BC Seydlitz at Dogger Bank in 1915 that the Germans both tightened up their powder handling and added extra safety features to their magazines.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Deptfordx posted:

Too be fair, It wasn't until they came within a hairs breadth of losing the BC Seydlitz at Dogger Bank in 1915 that the Germans both tightened up their powder handling and added extra safety features to their magazines.

That's true, but they did!

Yet in the final analysis it was Beaty not Hipper who ended up famous for musing "there seems to be something wrong with our bloody ships today" after the third British Battlecruiser blew up.

Randomcheese3
Sep 6, 2011

"It's like no cheese I've ever tasted."

Deptfordx posted:

Thing was, they didn't do a very good job of fitting extra safety features - post war British tests on the ships surrendered in the armistice suggested that German flash-tightness in 1918 was only just better than that on British ships in 1916. The reasons the Germans didn't have a ship explode were mainly the tightening up of powder handling, poor British shells and the fact that the Germans used slightly more stable propellants.

shalafi4
Feb 20, 2011

another medical bills avatar

Randomcheese3 posted:

Thing was, they didn't do a very good job of fitting extra safety features - post war British tests on the ships surrendered in the armistice suggested that German flash-tightness in 1918 was only just better than that on British ships in 1916. The reasons the Germans didn't have a ship explode were mainly the tightening up of powder handling, poor British shells and the fact that the Germans used slightly more stable propellants.

You mean not having both the upper and lower powder doors open at the same time so there's a straight line from the turret to the magazine ? (and not stockpiling extra powder inside the turrets )

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Freighter captain soils trousers. News at eleven.

We then see all these planes miss their target.

These guys know what their doing.

These are good hits as well. Its open season!

We're hitting some nice sized ships here.

We start confirming some kills.

Time to rest at Bataan again. We'll have it by the end of the month, I'm sure.

We take out the forts at Wenchow.

The Chinese counter attack at Changsha.

Lets skip to the ship kills shall we?

That's a little disappointing. Ah well, I'm sure it'll creep up.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
Well, now we know where all the Allied carriers went.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
*doublepost*

Ardeem fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Feb 19, 2016

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
:ssh:that's us:ssh:

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

shalafi4 posted:

You mean not having both the upper and lower powder doors open at the same time so there's a straight line from the turret to the magazine ? (and not stockpiling extra powder inside the turrets )

Efficiency. How else are you going to move propellant to the turrets with the least amount of effort in 1916? :irony:

Edit

British powder and armor piercing shells take a well deserved shellacking from historians; however it's worth pointing out that if it wasn't for British Battlecruisers :psyboom: ing when Germans pointed their guns at them, the Jutland would have been a lot more one sided in Britain's favor. :britain:

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Feb 19, 2016

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

Reposting this here from the Grog Games thread since I got no response:

Dreamsicle posted:

So I'm thinking of actually buying WITP once it goes on a 50% sale and I recall a guide for the Coral Sea or Guadalcanal scenario. Can someone please link it? Is there also a first turn guide for the main campaign for either side?

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Dreamsicle posted:

I'm also thinking about buying the game. Does anyone have like a checklist or something that tells me what I need to check/change each turn so that I'm not making painful mistakes each turn like forgetting to set CAPs, convoys, etc?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Dreamsicle posted:

Here you go:

http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=17472

Written by (I believe?) gradenko_2000.