Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

YF19pilot posted:

I still haven't decided if I want to stay here long enough to get one, but it's looking more and more like a sensible alternative to going back stateside and doing....call centers?

Ah the TESOL trap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

I'm seriously considering, after my current student debt is paid off, going back to the U.S. and getting a teaching certificate, then coming back here and trying to get one of those sweet public school gigs.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Atlas Hugged posted:

Ah the TESOL trap.

I will do everything in my power to never have to work retail again. Or move back to Ohio. At least not Northeast Ohio.

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

please let me show you screenshots of all The Ladies swooning over me
Here's where I make another post making fun of ESL teac

Fart

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

YF19pilot posted:

I will do everything in my power to never have to work retail again. Or move back to Ohio. At least not Northeast Ohio.

The problem I ran into is that I got fairly good at something that just didn't translate into a skill I could bring back home. There's money to be made in TESOL if you know where to look and you can have a perfectly acceptable lifestyle in Taiwan or other Asian countries with the salary on offer. But once you've been doing it for like 5 or 6 years, the question becomes, "Well, now what?" Most of my friends who have been doing this long term either go back to school to get real credentials or pursue some kind of masters to open up new job opportunities. Some people get lucky any stumble into other job opportunities, but just as many end up being alcoholics who make 35k a month in Bangkok until they end up on one of the death blogs.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Pandemonium posted:

Fart

Yeah, fair.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Pro-tip: don't leave a job and a life you like and feel comfortable in to go to an existence you don't like because you think it is what you are supposed to do

If you like what you are doing and you like your life now, screw the haters and keep doing what you're doing

This message brought to you by a six and a half year China guy who is completely content at work and in life

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Can I hate on my work this week but kind of like it overall?

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

GoutPatrol posted:

sure man, I do that all the time

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

GoutPatrol posted:

I think this is what it means to be an adult.

sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?

Pandemonium posted:

Fart

here's where I make a post making fun of you for working in the ESL industry

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Moon Slayer posted:

I'm seriously considering, after my current student debt is paid off, going back to the U.S. and getting a teaching certificate, then coming back here and trying to get one of those sweet public school gigs.

Or work in the international circuit

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

this is a stickup posted:

here's where I make a post making fun of you for working in the ESL industry

Here's where I insert all the voiceover, editing, and translating work I've done for companies, mostly technology-related, and the editing and translating I do for an international medical journal. English-related sure, but in no way ESL.

Also, were you one of the people that wanted to suggest writing and editing ESL material is the same as teaching it at a local shitshow buxiban? Because lmbo that is pretty dang stupid and, ya ijit, and smacks of face-saving. Have an analogy: Those engineers designing products sure are comparable to the factory floor folks making the products, eh?

Just finished jiaodui'ing my book and gonna be recording it at the beginning of next month, so look for it in the bookstore in early April.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Which school did you work at before you got into the translating gigs?

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Writing materials and presenting it to people are indeed two different skills in the same field. After reading your posts, I think you are very good at one of these, Pandemonium.

sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?

Pandemonium posted:

Here's where I insert all the voiceover, editing, and translating work I've done for companies, mostly technology-related, and the editing and translating I do for an international medical journal. English-related sure, but in no way ESL.

Also, were you one of the people that wanted to suggest writing and editing ESL material is the same as teaching it at a local shitshow buxiban? Because lmbo that is pretty dang stupid and, ya ijit, and smacks of face-saving. Have an analogy: Those engineers designing products sure are comparable to the factory floor folks making the products, eh?

Just finished jiaodui'ing my book and gonna be recording it at the beginning of next month, so look for it in the bookstore in early April.

you make ESL books for a living while continuously making GBS threads on people in this thread for being involved with ESL

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

Chantilly Say posted:

Which school did you work at before you got into the translating gigs?

Oh I bounced around. First year at a private bilingual school; second year at a lovely cram school and a lovely adult cram school (the latter sent me to all kinds of big companies in Hsinchu, but it still was lovely and I would never think to brag about teaching at x or y tech company through it); year three moved and worked at an American Eagle while I studied full-time; year four in some poo poo school that I actually liked a lot cuz they let me use Chinese to teach English and they were lovely so I only had a few students per class plus the boss rented me a super nice place dirt cheap; and the fifth year I taught like two hours a week but had an ARC sponsored by that cram school because I also helped them with editing. After I got my APRC I haven't stepped foot in a classroom--although I have done some "teach Taiwanese teachers how to teach English" stuff at conference halls and meeting rooms around. ESL teaching was always a means to an end for me after the second year, the ends being an APRC. And I only taught full-time for a single year, the first year, before I said f this.

And that's my Taiwan biography. Now I'll wait for one of the usual suspects to come in and make a poo poo post about how these schools all fired me and that's why I bounced around.

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

this is a stickup posted:

you make ESL books for a living while continuously making GBS threads on people in this thread for being involved with ESL

Did you miss the bulk of that post, which in stating my other cases indirectly stated that the ESL material is a piece of the pie and not the whole thing? You can't be that obtuse. And yeah, people that brag about making a living chatting to random Taiwanese about online gaming deserve to be mocked.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
Is this the thread for being angry that other people aren't just extensions of myself?

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

Spanish Matlock posted:

Is this the thread for being angry that other people aren't just extensions of myself?

Nah, it's for projecting and claiming other people you don't know not only know of but also believe in stuff like spermjacking. It's also for using words like cishet unironically.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Thank you Pandemonium for this lovely afternoon.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Pandemonium posted:

Here's where I insert all the voiceover, editing, and translating work I've done for companies, mostly technology-related, and the editing and translating I do for an international medical journal.
I could list poo poo I've done here that would turn you loving purple, but instead I'm comfortable with the length of my penis.

e: Also the girth.

sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?
I'm sorry, Pandemonium. I'll change my statement.

After teaching five years of ESL - the majority of the time you've been in Taiwan - you make ESL books for a living while continuously making GBS threads on people in this thread for being involved with ESL

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Pandemonium posted:

Fart
Just gonna add that if you posted like this more often we'd probably all have a better opinion of you.

Granted, if you stopped posting entirely we'd all have a better opinion of you too, but you know, baby steps.

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

TetsuoTW posted:

I could list poo poo I've done here that would turn you loving purple, but instead I'm comfortable with the length of my penis.

e: Also the girth.

I'm not sure what this is supposed to mean, but I'll guess that you have contracts with some of the bigger Taiwanese companies or something? In any case, just watch your britches cuz I'm coming to Taipei this year, and I'm gonna get to work stealing your contracts.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Pandemonium posted:

I'm not sure what this is supposed to mean, but I'll guess that you have contracts with some of the bigger Taiwanese companies or something? In any case, just watch your britches cuz I'm coming to Taipei this year, and I'm gonna get to work stealing your contracts.

lol

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Pandemonium posted:

Nah, it's for projecting and claiming other people you don't know not only know of but also believe in stuff like spermjacking. It's also for using words like cishet unironically.

Could you explain in 50 words or less what lesson your most recent probation taught you?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Pandemonium posted:

What's wrong with cishet? It's clear, it's concise.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Next thing you know we'll be calling most of the posters in here "white" unironically too.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
this is fun

this is a fun fun thread

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

I had some legit af 叉燒飯 the other day from New Hong Kong Restaurant. It was great, especially because Taiwan usually manages to gently caress up char siu somehow and usually in weird ways and char siu is one of my like top 3 chinese foods ever.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Pandemonium posted:

this character arc is going to be sick and this is an amazing tagline for the next year. can not wait to see how it plays out

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

probably still better than anything on taiwanese television tho

sub supau fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Feb 19, 2016

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Only if it uses shots of the TRA as a way to transition between scenes. Though, I guess in Taipei it'd have to be the MRT instead?

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Here we go again

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Pandemonium seems like that dude who was a cashier for 5 years at a grocery store, then got promoted to Assistant Night Manager and now talks poo poo on all the cashiers for having that job.

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

Tequila Sunrise posted:

Pandemonium seems like that dude who was a cashier for 5 years at a grocery store, then got promoted to Assistant Night Manager and now talks poo poo on all the cashiers for having that job.

This would be true if the cashiers stayed at their jobs for a decade plus and had a drug and alcohol problem. And were in their mid-30s.

Barto
Dec 27, 2004
Asperger's is a helluva thing.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Happens all the time. A bunch of companies just use some compiled list of country names that goes that way. It's always a sin of not giving a gently caress, rather than the much more serious sin of giving too many fucks.