Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
i thought the locket and buff thing were pretty lol since your jungler item pretty much fixes mana issues and if your team gets hosed over by locket your comp blows but the leash vs camp start is probably the best point he made

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

rabidsquid posted:

Top lane is incredible until the heinous coward the jungler shows up to save the dipshit top laner on the other team

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

The Mash posted:

Even and uninteresting:
Shen, Garen, Nasus, Olaf

olaf is even and uninteresting? every olaf v fiora lane i do is a complete murderfest and usually olaf comes out on top

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Luna Was Here posted:

i thought the locket and buff thing were pretty lol since your jungler item pretty much fixes mana issues and if your team gets hosed over by locket your comp blows but the leash vs camp start is probably the best point he made

Thing is the moment Riot fixes the starting camps, people whine how the jungle is too hard even for junglers or that riot is enforcing the meta/laning phase.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
shift xp back to buffs or/and gently caress with the start timers again

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

Verviticus posted:

olaf is even and uninteresting? every olaf v fiora lane i do is a complete murderfest and usually olaf comes out on top

I've only played it 2-3 times and usually the Olaf has used axes to farm caster minions and used his Ult to disengage when I've ulted to turn a trade into an all-in. I guess I've only played against pansy-rear end Olafs so far

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

rabidsquid posted:

Top lane is incredible until the heinous coward the jungler shows up to save the dipshit top laner on the other team

This so hard with Illaoi. :negative:

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

Luna Was Here posted:

locket sucks but it should just work like pipe. its current design is pretty "uninteractive" (i think this is the word riot currently likes) and if it just was a selfish mr item that gave anti-magic shell to your team + creeps they wouldn't have to nerf viktor for the 10th time because you could make an actual conscious decision to counter him when ahead. redesign ohmwrecker while they're at it.

also the red and blue buffs are pretty boring and should be re-designed, and also should drop on the ground like the herald buff. making the decision of who to give the buffs to more than just blue to mid unless they can't use it at all and red to the jungler early and the marksman late.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
^^^ then you wouldn't be able to get fun snipe buff steals.

When is the best time to Kayle ult someone when Zed ults someone? As soon as the X animation finishes?

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Libertine posted:

I didn't end up trying Elise tonight because I'm out at a bar posting on SA. Which leads me to think I should probably Support Gragas.

Yeah I didn't try it last night either because I was at a bar being the worst team in a competitive Killer Queen league. I am on the Renegades of Killer Queen. But it did stop me from playing League.

e: Also, regarding Fiora matchups, I think J4 is actually a decent pick into Fiora. It's a skill matchup and if Fiora doesn't W your combo then you win.

Sexpansion fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Feb 18, 2016

stump collector
May 28, 2007

Etrips posted:

^^^ then you wouldn't be able to get fun snipe buff steals.

When is the best time to Kayle ult someone when Zed ults someone? As soon as the X animation finishes?

http://leagueoflegends.wikia.com/wiki/Kayle#Intervention

http://leagueoflegends.wikia.com/wiki/Zed#Death_Mark

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

While we're on the topic of jungle gripes, I'm still furious that they found the solution to making feral flare/devourer not reward lovely afk farming from 10 to 20 minutes (not giving it a huge discrete power spike at x number of stacks) and then went back on it 6 months later.

Between that item being omnipresent, rageblade, and multiple ADC comps, there's so much sustained damage in the game now that building defensive items without a solo lane gold budget feels futile

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
"We've temporarily disabled ZZ'Rot Portal due to an in-game bug and are working on fixing the problem. It will be disabled until the 6.4 patch"

drat so it got hosed up pretty hard.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Luna Was Here posted:

idk if it got linked but Sneaky on problems with Jungler role and league as a whole:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwlXy6FzeS0

He articulates his arguments like he spends all day in Twitch chat (which he probably does as his job so yeah) but I don't think he's wrong about anything. I opened this video expecting to kind of laugh him off because of his unique style ended up eventually pushing him out of the competitive game, but I think he's pretty spot on for the most part.

1) Laners doing camps before going to lane is lame. I hate doing it, I hate playing against it, I don't like how it is emphasized so heavily in the pro game either.
2) Locket being a permanent item requirement against any standard team composition and the entire professional meta-game being balanced around team fighting power spike of either team having or not having one handicaps both the support/jungle role's flexibility.
3) I'd go beyond Meteos and say that I think both Blue and Red Buff should be re-designed, or that there should be some other appreciable incentive to them. They've basically been the buffs for the AP and AD carries for as long as the game has existed. I feel like there's a lot more creative space that could be done with the buffs and the monster camp mini-buffs.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

counterpoint: if the support and ADC can't do gromp krepo has nothing to commentate on

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
Generally, I think that mana regen is a in a really weird spot in League right now, because blue buff grants so much mana regen that it essentially becomes an irrelevant resource as long as your team can control blue buff. Changing the way blue buff works might cause mana-reliant laners to invest more heavily in mana regen and CDR and could be a good thing for the game.

I think red buff is a huge "hidden power" mechanic. I mean, look at everything it does:

quote:

This unit's physical attacks apply a debuff that slows the target's movement speed by 8 / 16 / 24% (5 / 10 / 15% for ranged attacks) for 3 seconds and a DoT that deals 5-56 bonus true damage twice. Also heals buff holder by 1% of their maximum health per 5 seconds.

I mean, really? Does it have to do all that stuff?

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Played some Jhin. He's ok, but I'm not sure about itemization, runes, or masteries on him. The problem is, I'm not sure if it's worth figuring him outl because of the whole objective taking problem.

Sion has an enormous win rate top by starting dorans ring and maxing E, which seems hilarious. I've yet to try it.

Fiora doesn't poo poo on Volibear. He has a 57% winrate against her on champion.gg. I only checked that one because it struck out to me like that should go completely the other way. Bear don't care.

SaberToothedPie posted:

i played yi and did poorly today.

Yi has really fallen off. After the ADC reworks, all the older AA reliant ADC's have something to boost their autos. The newer ones always had something. The itemization changes also helped ADC's, but didn't do as much for YI. Until season 6 I always thought, it would be great if they made another AA reliant melee champion, but now it's painfully obvious that it's an older design which simply doesn't hold up with the changes that happened over the years.

Why am I playing this game again? I guess I've played through the Christmas titles so there's not much left.

Oh yeah, if you think Phreak's champion spotlights are bad, look at the Street Fighter 5 ones. Oh boy.

Safety Scissors fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Feb 18, 2016

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Yi currently has a 53% winrate in high elo (plat+), that's just about the best he's ever been post-rework other than the broken feral flare patch. Not exactly 'fallen off'

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Tales of Woe posted:

Yi currently has a 53% winrate in high elo (plat+), that's just about the best he's ever been post-rework other than the broken feral flare patch. Not exactly 'fallen off'

Everything that is not the glory days of AP Yi mid is 'fallen off'.

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
gems

Gems

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGJYwWqnQfk&t=16s

GEMS

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Why are we still blacking out moon names in TYOOL2016?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Kashuno posted:

"We've temporarily disabled ZZ'Rot Portal due to an in-game bug and are working on fixing the problem. It will be disabled until the 6.4 patch"

drat so it got hosed up pretty hard.

Conspiracy theory time, the portal was never bugged, but riot wants fresh numbers and win % data without the portal being built for the champs that have been abusing it the most to figure out which to nerf.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
100% agree with meteos that locket is a super dumb item. it should be removed

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Libertine posted:

He articulates his arguments like he spends all day in Twitch chat (which he probably does as his job so yeah) but I don't think he's wrong about anything. I opened this video expecting to kind of laugh him off because of his unique style ended up eventually pushing him out of the competitive game, but I think he's pretty spot on for the most part.

1) Laners doing camps before going to lane is lame. I hate doing it, I hate playing against it, I don't like how it is emphasized so heavily in the pro game either.
2) Locket being a permanent item requirement against any standard team composition and the entire professional meta-game being balanced around team fighting power spike of either team having or not having one handicaps both the support/jungle role's flexibility.
3) I'd go beyond Meteos and say that I think both Blue and Red Buff should be re-designed, or that there should be some other appreciable incentive to them. They've basically been the buffs for the AP and AD carries for as long as the game has existed. I feel like there's a lot more creative space that could be done with the buffs and the monster camp mini-buffs.
What if smiting the red/blue buffs "charges" up and if someone on your team kills the buff, the jungler gets to keep the red/blue buff for a shorter duration/weaker effect, if the enemy kills the buff you lose the charge. There aren't as many mana-starved junglers as there used to be but it would help the Jungler out regardless.

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

Sexpansion posted:

I think red buff is a huge "hidden power" mechanic. I mean, look at everything it does:

I mean, really? Does it have to do all that stuff?

I didn't know it had regen on it or that the slow varied if you're melee or ranged. Blue buff basically gives you infinite mana which usually means infinite wave clear, not exciting.

Jhin is really fun and does some interesting things, but I don't know if he's really good. Early on he has horrendous mobility, with a little CC in his trap and rooting shot, and a very minor (10%) speed boost on his fourth shot or successfully rooting someone. Later that flips because if you've got a high enough crit chance the speed boost ends up being on almost whenever he's fighting, and scales up to be something like 30% or more, so he's got perma-Ghost in combat. The pacing of his shots feels strange and diving in to reload at people makes you feel like an idiot. His trading is pretty nasty if he's allowed to whittle you down and have multiple short trades. If he's your primary damage dealer you might be hosed because he doesn't have the more robust defensive options others have and his objective taking is pretty slow. His itemization is a little weird too because of his static attack speed and oddball scaling, for example BoRK is kinda poo poo on him I think.

I'm not sure his slow tower crushing is as awful as its being played up to be, if your team wins a fight the towers will probably still go down reasonably quickly with whoever is still alive.

Heehee Hartlocks
Feb 9, 2012

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
hello bond ad carry ezreal pro??? i am teehee tartlocks ad carry ezreal pro

would you like to review 2 of my ezreal games w/ me because i want some diamond insight!!!!

thx

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Conspiracy theory time, the portal was never bugged, but riot wants fresh numbers and win % data without the portal being built for the champs that have been abusing it the most to figure out which to nerf.

Some goon was posting that he was breaking PBE games with it so there's definitely something wrong with it

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

rabidsquid posted:

Some goon was posting that he was breaking PBE games with it so there's definitely something wrong with it

Yeah there's a significant bug with it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvtbVSWZo2g

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

the absurd mana regen on blue buff is the sort of thing that's been in the game for so long that people don't even stop to think about 'why is this allowed to exist'

the mana system in this game is all over the place though, you have these old champs like Galio and Yorick that can't fight for more than 5 seconds without building a dedicated mana item, and you have other champs like Lulu and Fiora that 'have' mana but don't really seem to run out via their normal laning patterns

edit: i did some additional research and apparently Lulu has 11 base mana regen at level 1 instead of the 6 that mages get because she's a 'support', so now that Doran's Ring gives 50% base instead of flat, solo lane Lulu just gets way more from her Doran's Ring than champs that were intended to be mages. Why does any of this exist aaaaa

Tales of Woe fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Feb 18, 2016

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Etrips posted:

Why are we still blacking out moon names in TYOOL2016?

To hide my shame

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Also lol

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

In theory the resource balancing act is that mana-based champions have impactful or low-cooldown abilities gated by managing the mana pool, but they will scale harder into lategame than those with other resources as not only do their abilities get stronger like most of the cast, but they can use them exponentially more frequently than they could at the start of the game.

Energy champions aren't limited by resource attrition so much as short-term resource management. While they'll always recharge after disengaging, running dry in the middle of a fight can be devastating.

Resourceless and special-resource champions are meant have extended windows of weakness waiting on important cooldowns, low-impact skills that nonetheless can be used infinitely to grind the opponent down, or rely on conditional effects from their special resource.

In practice, though, it's actually kind of a big mess with power and weakness all over the place.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Xoidanor posted:

Everything that is not the glory days of AP Yi mid is 'fallen off'.

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Sexpansion posted:

Yeah there's a significant bug with it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvtbVSWZo2g

All of those extra green dots on the minimap were actually invisible voidlings this whole time? :riot:

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

lee sin kennen and shen all feel like they're in good spots these days, but if they were like fiora and just used negligible amount of mana would they be any different? i dunno

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire

Radical posted:

lee sin kennen and shen all feel like they're in good spots these days, but if they were like fiora and just used negligible amount of mana would they be any different? i dunno

I kind of feel weird about energy in general, it's really "Manaless but not" as a resource type
Fiora at least will run out of steam eventually and be forced to go back

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Energy is just there so they can sell 2000 IP energy regen quints to idiots

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
They patched Zz'Rot bug on PBE :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

This is true. Didn't you notice that when you were in the company of such glorious PBE players as WE Dyrus, TSM Krepo, Elements SaintVicious, C9 YoungBuck and SKT-T1 Brokenshard?

• Locked thread