Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

DJExile posted:

Screen protectors on cameras are a pointless moneygrab, you don't need them. Gonna break these two pictures out again.

if a mirrorless camera can be carried and run all over these stupid obstacle courses without scratching the glass, you'll be fine. Just get a good strap and/or bag.

Now show the screen on that camera.

Ihmemies posted:

Btw do you need to use screen protectors these days? I assume cameras like my X-T1 have gorilla glass.. since why wouldn't they?

They wouldn't use it because it's more expensive, especially for lower volume items like cameras (as compared to cell phones).

I got a good screen protector for my camera after getting the first few scratches, since I tend to throw my camera in my normal bag where notebook binding rings, a loose flashflight, and other metal poo poo can scratch it (and does). If it ever gets too scratched, it's $15 to replace. Stay far away from the cheap ones, and look for a multilayer one with an oleophobic coating. The better multilayer ones have an inner glass or PET core that prevents plastic deformation (which lets the edges peel up).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I put my em10 in my pocket with other poo poo with no screen protector and it seems fine.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
My used RX100 came with a screen protector on it that has started to stack I to a million pieces while my XT1's screen has zero scratches and I bought on launch day

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

lol if you can't flip your screen around so that it's using the entire camera as a protector.

also lol if you care so much about a few superficial scratches, just use your camera

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I just put my camera in a cheap little neoprene camera pouch when I throw it in my bag, since that's where it's most likely to get scratched up (not just the screen, the paint on the XT-1 isn't very resilient). No protection when I'm actually shooting.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

DJExile posted:

Screen protectors on cameras are a pointless moneygrab, you don't need them. Gonna break these two pictures out again.

if a mirrorless camera can be carried and run all over these stupid obstacle courses without scratching the glass, you'll be fine. Just get a good strap and/or bag.

I am sure your flagship camera has a stronger grade glass on the lcd already.

I have an aftermarket screen protector on my XE1. It's $5 from ebay. I probably won't get one for my next camera because I haven't found I need it.

On the other hand, I regret not getting a soft neoprene case for my x100s. I used it so hard the OVF/EVF switch fell off.

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?

Hey dog how you like that lens?

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Slanderer posted:

My friend is looking for a camera that is small enough to carry around when he is biking, but can also use a bounce flash so he can photograph his cat. He is currently looking at the X30, despite the fixed lens. Can anyone suggest a better option, or would this work ok?

rx100 has a flash you can point toward the ceiling w/ your finger

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Saros posted:

The X70? Nothing pocketable will fit a OVF/EVF.

RX100 III does it well.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I went to try out Samyang 12/2 for Fuji XF and it felt broken. The MF ring barely turned and the infinity focus was way off. Is this normal for Samyang?

I've used to focus rings be light and smooth, like Ai-S Nikkors. Or well damped.. the Samyang felt unlike anything I've tried out before. The XF 23/1.4 is pretty nice mechanically. Fly by wire MF is good, light and fast, while 35/1.4's fbw MF sucks. 23mm is light and follows you nicely, so you kind of forget it's using AF to MF, if you don't pay attention to the noise.

The lens itself is retardedly large for a normal "35/1.4" (compare to Voigtländer 35/1.4 or Leica's or Ai-s 35/1.4 or..). The hood is even larger. Can't wait for the 23/2 with 52mm filter thread.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Infinity being off is normal, no idea about the focus ring, mine is kinda tough but moves fine, its a fully manual lens so no focus by wire.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

The Mantis posted:

Hey dog how you like that lens?

100% love it. Great focus, stands up to drat near everything.

whatever7 posted:

I am sure your flagship camera has a stronger grade glass on the lcd already.

I suppose that's fair.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Slanderer posted:

My friend is looking for a camera that is small enough to carry around when he is biking, but can also use a bounce flash so he can photograph his cat. He is currently looking at the X30, despite the fixed lens. Can anyone suggest a better option, or would this work ok?

Yeah RX100 III has a bigger sensor than the x30 (although the Fuji compact seemingly punches a little above the level its smaller sensor would suggest). Maybe the a6000 / 5000 - they have bounce flash capability but maybe a little too big? The x30 would be about as heavy/bulky but I think the lens retracts farther than even a pancake on the Sony ILCs.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I have the A6000 in basically the smallest possible package (20mm pancake lens) and it's only pocketable if your pockets include cargo pants/shorts. Don't get me wrong, it's pretty drat compact for what it is, but it still has a chunky footprint.

Enjoying the hell out of it so far though.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The same way the Xpro1 is "pocketable" with the 27mm if you wear idiot rave pants, but if you do wear idiot rave pants EYY fuggedaboudit!

I'm actually finding that I want something that is less pocketable and more messenger bag-able. Having a lens stick out always makes me worried that I'm going to shear it right off the body if I bump into a wall or something. There doesn't seem to be a good median between ease of access and padding the gently caress out of your bag.

Unless I'm being paranoid.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

For light travel I have a sort of triangular shaped bag and you stick the camera in lens facing down, stops the worry about crashing into stuff so much.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Saros posted:

For light travel I have a sort of triangular shaped bag and you stick the camera in lens facing down, stops the worry about crashing into stuff so much.

Yeah there are a ton of those holster looking bags in all sorts of sizes. They don't jut out from your side very far

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Normally the lens hood hits walls first. Then your hood gets scratches. No big deal. Nikon's aluminium hoods are so strong you can't even bend them.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Looks like Fuji may be releasing 23mmF2 sometime this year. Definitely something I'd be interested in - I've been tempted to pick up the 35mmF2, but at this point, I may wait it out.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

What's the deal with the 35/2? Should I have any interest in it at all if I already own the 35/1.4? I guess it's weathersealed which won't help me much since I'm on an xpro1 -- anything else?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Saros posted:

I'm trying to stick to messengers because my daily grind is business casual and a macbook air. I'd love to start taking a camera with me as well, but getting all of that in a bag that doesn't look out of place in an office is challenging (for me) right now :(

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Oh god I finally did it. I bought an E-m10! I also bought a few lenses (Oly 25mm 1.8 and a Sigma 60mm I got for 99 bucks because it has a small scratch on the barrel). The camera hasn't arrived yet but I'm already impressed by how small the lenses are, which is great because size is the biggest reason why I want to move away from DSLRs.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Martytoof posted:

I'm trying to stick to messengers because my daily grind is business casual and a macbook air. I'd love to start taking a camera with me as well, but getting all of that in a bag that doesn't look out of place in an office is challenging (for me) right now :(

I use an Ari bag from Incase and I love it: https://www.incase.com/shop/camera-bags/incase-ari-marcopoulos-camera-bag/gray/ I manage to cram a 15" rMBP in there with my XT10, 35mm, 18-55mm, and with a whole section free for misc crap I may need.

I just got back from a trip to the DR and used my 18-55 most of the time and there are several shots that looked like focus hit on the EVF, then on the LCD, but when I've imported them they're off which is annoying. Not sure if it's the face detection messing with things or what. The shots that did hit are pretty good, but man the 35mm just destroys the 18-55 in IQ, it makes me hate the 18-55 a little bit because the 35 is just so good.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Yeah RX100 III has a bigger sensor than the x30 (although the Fuji compact seemingly punches a little above the level its smaller sensor would suggest). Maybe the a6000 / 5000 - they have bounce flash capability but maybe a little too big? The x30 would be about as heavy/bulky but I think the lens retracts farther than even a pancake on the Sony ILCs.

Yeah, I think he wants it for how compact it ends up being. I have the a6000 and it is impossible to get in anything but a jacket pocket (mostly because of the viewfinder, and even then I've already lost one viewfinder cup from it popping off when i pocketed the thing). The a5000 is more portable in that regard, which is the only reason I didn't sell mine. Even so, the x30 still ends up being a good deal thinner, so I don't think I will be able to convince my friend that he will want a more flexible camera after only a short time.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Popelmon posted:

Oh god I finally did it. I bought an E-m10! I also bought a few lenses (Oly 25mm 1.8 and a Sigma 60mm I got for 99 bucks because it has a small scratch on the barrel). The camera hasn't arrived yet but I'm already impressed by how small the lenses are, which is great because size is the biggest reason why I want to move away from DSLRs.

You can pack that camera and like 5 great prime lenses in a bag the size of a football. Size and weight is one of the best drat reasons to go mirrorless. It rules for travel.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

DJExile posted:

You can pack that camera and like 5 great prime lenses in a bag the size of a football. Size and weight is one of the best drat reasons to go mirrorless. It rules for travel.

I bought a Crumpler 5M$ Home bag back when I was shooting my DSLR and it traveled with me for a while but got a little crowded. Now when I travel I fit the X100, XT10, 2-3 good lenses and a few pairs of socks to keep things from rattling around too much.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I should have an sel35f18 arriving today for my A6000. I picked up the sel20f28 right after I bought it and it came with the 16-50 kit lens and the 55-210.

I should be set for lenses for awhile now. I really used the 20mm extensively for the first time this past weekend at the local auto show. The field of view just felt right to me with it. I shot mostly in aperture priority with auto ISO and alternated between stopping down to get full vehicles in the depth of field and shooting wide open on my nephew which provided some decent isolation from the background of milling people.

I picked up the 35mm mostly for inside shooting when my friends and I get together. I don't think it should feel too close and f1.8 along with OSS should allow me to go without flash most of the time and get decent shots. It also seems like it should be a good lens for things like museums.

Longer term, depending on how I end up shooting, I may pick up either the SEL50F18 or the Sigma 60mm, but I'm in no rush for that.

I do admit that I was hoping that the A6000 with the 20mm pancake would be a bit more compact than it actually is. It's got me eyeing one of the RX100 models potentially as a go anywhere cam. But I think I bought enough toys in the near term for now.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Martytoof posted:

What's the deal with the 35/2? Should I have any interest in it at all if I already own the 35/1.4? I guess it's weathersealed which won't help me much since I'm on an xpro1 -- anything else?

The 35mm f/2 is smaller, quieter and faster focusing. It's supposed to be be sharper at f/2 than the 35mm f/1,4 is at f/2 but I haven't actually dug around for an old file to compare the two. I wouldn't really worry about it unless you are unhappy with the f/1.4 in some way. I only bought one because I found one with a dented filter ring for a screaming deal on craigslist.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Ouhei posted:

I use an Ari bag from Incase and I love it: https://www.incase.com/shop/camera-bags/incase-ari-marcopoulos-camera-bag/gray/ I manage to cram a 15" rMBP in there with my XT10, 35mm, 18-55mm, and with a whole section free for misc crap I may need.

Oh this is really neat. I'm having a hard time justifying $200 (more in CAD) for a bag but I might have to actually take the plunge this summer. I really want to start carrying the camera around.

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?

Popelmon posted:

grats. definitely post some thoughts/shots from the 25mm. I'm still wavering betweeen it and the 17.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Martytoof posted:

Oh this is really neat. I'm having a hard time justifying $200 (more in CAD) for a bag but I might have to actually take the plunge this summer. I really want to start carrying the camera around.

Yeah, they run sales every once and a while, I grabbed mine during a 40% off sale which made the price much more tolerable.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

8th-snype posted:

The 35mm f/2 is smaller, quieter and faster focusing. It's supposed to be be sharper at f/2 than the 35mm f/1,4 is at f/2 but I haven't actually dug around for an old file to compare the two. I wouldn't really worry about it unless you are unhappy with the f/1.4 in some way. I only bought one because I found one with a dented filter ring for a screaming deal on craigslist.

The 2 is weather sealed, too. It's the main reason I got it.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

Fart Car '97 posted:

The 2 is weather sealed, too. It's the main reason I got it.

Oh yeah I forgot to mention that. I've never really cared about that since if it's more than slightly raining I'm not using a camera outside. My 16mm is weather sealed too .

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

How are the Samyang 12 and 14mm lenses for Fuji X, compared to the first-party or Zeiss touit equivalents? Those prices sure are nice, and I'd imagine that manual focus + peaking would be just fine on an x-e1 as long as the lens focus ring was smooth & responsive. (The 35 1.4 - or at least my copy - has a pretty sluggish focus-by-wire system... about as bad as my Sigma DP3, which I thought was as about as bad as it got.)

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Idiot rave pants would go great with a photo vest.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

Martytoof posted:

The same way the Xpro1 is "pocketable" with the 27mm if you wear idiot rave pants, but if you do wear idiot rave pants EYY fuggedaboudit!

I'm actually finding that I want something that is less pocketable and more messenger bag-able. Having a lens stick out always makes me worried that I'm going to shear it right off the body if I bump into a wall or something. There doesn't seem to be a good median between ease of access and padding the gently caress out of your bag.

Unless I'm being paranoid.

I find the X100 with the leather ever ready case totally removes this problem. I can throw it over my shoulder even when wearing a tank top and swim shorts without pockets, and I never worry about rain, or it knocking against things, and it's always ready to just unsnap and bring up to my eye to photograph.

Maybe your particular camer/lens combo has an ever ready case?

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

SMERSH Mouth posted:

How are the Samyang 12 and 14mm lenses for Fuji X, compared to the first-party or Zeiss touit equivalents? Those prices sure are nice, and I'd imagine that manual focus + peaking would be just fine on an x-e1 as long as the lens focus ring was smooth & responsive. (The 35 1.4 - or at least my copy - has a pretty sluggish focus-by-wire system... about as bad as my Sigma DP3, which I thought was as about as bad as it got.)

There's about a bajillion discussions of the 12/2 incuding one on the last page.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Put gaffers tape on all the edges of your camera and forget about it, cases are for suckers :hehe:

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Fart Car '97 posted:

Put gaffers tape on all the edges of your camera and forget about it, cases are for suckers :hehe:

Pretty much the one thing I am not a fan of regarding the x series is the fragility of the paint they use. I don't abuse my gear but I already have a chip on the "prism" of my XT1 and I've only had it a few weeks.

8th-snype fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Feb 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

8th-snype posted:

Pretty much the one thing I am not a fan of regarding the x series is the fragility of the paint they use. I don't abuse my gear but I already have a chip on the "prism" of my XT1 and I've only had it a few weeks.

I've seen Fuji's different Instagram accounts gushing over pictures of weathered looking X-T1's and X-Pro1's, I think the paint is meant to be that way to please the hipsters out there who want their cameras to look heavily used so they can in turn seem like grizzled photographers.