Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Casimir Radon posted:

S-S-Slip into my v-v-vajayjay hacker.

I'm sorry.

“L-l-look at you, hacker: a p-pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you r-run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?”

She's way ahead of you there.

Hakkesshu posted:

Literally the first and only thing we've seen from the game is SHODAN, she's gonna be in that game

Yeah, I know… but hope springs eternal and all that. And as mentioned, if she wins, then that would actually be rather neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Shadow Warrior posted this clip on their facebook

https://www.facebook.com/ShadowWarriorGame/videos/789456587851599/

Short, but I like the text accompanying it

quote:

Shadow Warrior 2 will feature much more verticality to the levels, taking battles from the street to the rooftops!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Zaphod42 posted:

Shadow Warrior 2: The Rise of Wang.

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

Came here to post this, it looks fantastic. Dying Light-esque climbing with Shadow Warrior's superior melee would be a wonderful combination.

Also, a bow is perfect for that game.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
I hope the story for Shadow Warrior 2 isn't too diminished by the focus on co-op action - Of all the things I enjoyed about Shadow Warrior 2013, the story caught me by surprise the most. I'm still amazed they managed to make Lo Wang into a genuinely likable character.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Geight posted:

I hope the story for Shadow Warrior 2 isn't too diminished by the focus on co-op action

One of the cuter tricks they're pulling with SW2 is that everyone plays as Lo Wang, and any other players appear to you as generic (and mute) ninjas. Everyone gets to hog the one-liners for themselves.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Yeah but the one-liners were not nearly as good as the banter between Wang and Hoji, which I worry will be lost if the second game is the adventures of Lo Wang and his three mute ninja buddies.

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
Yeah, the Wang/Hoji duo definitely made the game for me in a way. Hopefully they find a way to bring that kind of dynamic back somehow.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Geight posted:

I hope the story for Shadow Warrior 2 isn't too diminished by the focus on co-op action - Of all the things I enjoyed about Shadow Warrior 2013, the story caught me by surprise the most. I'm still amazed they managed to make Lo Wang into a genuinely likable character.

This is confusing, since he was lovable to begin with. A sword... is a personal weapon. I also don't get why he's considered so especially offensive, when his voice is about the same as the Master Splinter voice acting from the Turtles movies. And Mario is also an ethnic stereotype. Not to poo poo up the thread with this hilarity, I just love Lo Wang.

I guess the new one sounds more like he's going for a Ken Jeong vibe or something? I find the original version more charming to be honest.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

It's not an offensive character, it's just really boring.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

His rapping skills are pretty offensive, imo

https://youtu.be/L1k8oHxM_6Y

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Lo Wang as a character isn't really overtly racist, but his design hinges on Asian stereotypes, to the point where Chinese and Japanese culture are conflated. The same is true for much of the game's humor.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
This is a pretty good tribute to the best Star Wars FPS

http://www.pcgamer.com/20-years-later-dark-forces-and-jedi-knight-are-still-great-star-wars-games/

21 years on, Dark Forces feels almost prehistoric for a 3D game, and its ambition dates it in a way that the arcadier Doom will never age. The 2D sprite enemies, their simplistic AI and repeated audio clips, the labyrinthine levels and obtuse puzzles are the essence of first-person PC games from 1995. Made today, Dark Forces would probably feel like a sanitized Call of Duty clone with lasers.

And yet. And yet. The same way Star Wars took the basic structure of the Hero’s Journey and turned it into a movie unlike anything we’d seen before, Dark Forces cloned Doom and created something amazing from its DNA: a game that placed you into a three dimensional world that was new and yet recognizably Star Wars.

LucasArts’s Jedi Engine added jumping and looking up and down on the vertical axis, so you could explore Dark Forces’ world like it was a real place. The stormtroopers and Imperial officers may have been crudely animated 2D sprites, but they looked just like they did in the movies. The blasters sounded the same. The music captured the essence of John Williams in simple MIDI.

Instead of revisiting locations from the films or playing out some hackneyed video game version of the battle of Hoth, LucasArts took places we’d glimpsed, like the interior of a Star Destroyer, and spun out their own creations with the scope and detail to bring them to life. The world is gray more often than not, but Dark Forces keeps switching out tilesets as you reach new levels. One Imperial base looks different than another. Ship interiors take inspiration from the Death Star. Natural canyons, blocky and angular as they are, admirably lend scale to Dark Forces’ representation of the galaxy far, far away.

Even the hundreds of stormtroopers spread across the campaign makes it feel like you’re struggling against the Empire, a Rebel underdog deep inside an overwhelming military machine. The mostly static cutscenes and briefings between missions feel rudimentary next to the 3D world—possibly Dark Forces at its most dated—but Mon Mothma lends the story an air of legitimacy, too.

I found Dark Forces’ additions to the Doom template simultaneously the coolest and the most frustrating bits of its design. I appreciated some of the puzzles I had to solve to make my way through Imperial strongholds, and not always knowing where to go in its layered and complex levels. Other relics of the time—like how difficult it was to discern a random decorative texture from an interactive control panel—really do add depth to the world, making it feel more real and less like a linear guided tour through some Cool poo poo, as so many shooters today are.

But I spent more of my Dark Forces playthrough appreciating what it pulled off in 1995 than I did really having fun. The shooting doesn’t have Doom’s oomph, and I ground my teeth in frustration while trying to navigate the sewers early on, and while trying to make one particular series of jumps between rising and falling platforms later on. If you’ve played Dark Forces, you know the one. And the computer core in mission 11? gently caress that hexagonal nightmare.

I'd recommend playing with a guide on-hand for the most obtuse bits, but Dark Forces is still worth a run through to get to Jedi Knight, where the series really finds its way. And it's easy to play on modern hardware thanks to DarkXL, a rebuilt version of the game that supports high resolutions and Windows.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

As an avowed fan of Kyle Katarn I do not hold high hopes for Outcast convincing this guy that Kyle Katarn is an interesting character. That said I hope he realizes that you can use force pull in Outcast to disarm storm troopers and make them surrender, because it's super-fun to play the latter half of the game doing just that.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

This was the Sam and Max tie-in comic from The Adventurer when Dark Forces came out.

Just thought I'd share.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Greg Punchatz did an interview about his work on the practical-effect monsters in Doom and Doom 2.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

The Kins posted:

Greg Punchatz did an interview about his work on the practical-effect monsters in Doom and Doom 2.

quote:

“At one stage id offered me points on the backend to take $500 off the price of one of the characters and I turned that down," he says.

Ouch.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Don Ivan was offered a percentage of Doom's sales in lieu of payment for the box art, too.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
A new Half Life 2 thingie came out, and now we can find out what Adrian "not at all related to mass effect" Shepard. :confuoot:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Klaus88 posted:

A new Half Life 2 thingie came out, and now we can find out what Adrian "not at all related to mass effect" Shepard. :confuoot:

I still find it really weird (and maybe creepy?) that the Portal gun is called the Aperture Science Handheld Portal Device. That alone is fine, but...

A.S.H.P.D.

Adrian Shepard.

:tinfoil:

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
It looks, uh, not particularly great.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
How're you gonna talk about a new Half Life thingie but not link it?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
The fact that Valve's calling it the official follow up to Opposing Forces makes me wonder if they aren't just trolling Gearbox.

Segmentation Fault posted:

How're you gonna talk about a new Half Life thingie but not link it?

Just google Prospekt.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
This, I assume?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I still find it really weird (and maybe creepy?) that the Portal gun is called the Aperture Science Handheld Portal Device. That alone is fine, but...

A.S.H.P.D.

Adrian Shepard.

:tinfoil:
This was actually a coincidence, but after the internet got all tinfoil about it they highlighted all the letters in Shepherd's name on the computer keyboard props just to mess with people.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

The Kins posted:

This was actually a coincidence, but after the internet got all tinfoil about it they highlighted all the letters in Shepherd's name on the computer keyboard props just to mess with people.

Ah, didn't know that. I take back my :tinfoil:

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Heavy Metal posted:

This is confusing, since he was lovable to begin with. A sword... is a personal weapon. I also don't get why he's considered so especially offensive, when his voice is about the same as the Master Splinter voice acting from the Turtles movies. And Mario is also an ethnic stereotype. Not to poo poo up the thread with this hilarity, I just love Lo Wang.

I guess the new one sounds more like he's going for a Ken Jeong vibe or something? I find the original version more charming to be honest.

I never saw any Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, but '90s Lo Wang is probably the most extreme and offensive stereotypical Japanese accent I've ever heard. The entire original game is built out of cheap Orientalist stereotypes and historical social and religious institutions being used as jokes (huhuhuhuh, Seppuku Station, because being forced to kill yourself is so funny :jerkbag:). It's really bad, but I suppose it can give thanks to Jesse Petrilla that it is not quite the most racist game on the Build engine.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Woolie Wool posted:

(huhuhuhuh, Seppuku Station, because being forced to kill yourself is so funny :jerkbag:)

I get what you're saying, but keep in mind this is the same developer that named a level Hollywood Holocaust.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Geight posted:

Personally I think the world is lacking in good co-op action, we can always have more and there aren't even a ton right now. And halo dropped split-screen even.

I want co-op shadow warrior so bad.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

Personally I think the world is lacking in good co-op action, we can always have more and there aren't even a ton right now. And halo dropped split-screen even.

I want co-op shadow warrior so bad.

Hey I'll take anything that gets my friends to stop playing snoozefests like Diablo and Vermintide. I'm not against co-op action, it's just a shame that it seems mutually exclusive with concepts like "a decent story". Which isn't to say that Shadow Warrior 2 can't have one! The concept seems to be that after the events of the first game Earth is just totally flooded with demons and now everyone who is still alive spends their time fighting demons, which is enough of a premise for what they're going for I guess.

Geight fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Feb 18, 2016

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Geight posted:

As an avowed fan of Kyle Katarn I do not hold high hopes for Outcast convincing this guy that Kyle Katarn is an interesting character. That said I hope he realizes that you can use force pull in Outcast to disarm storm troopers and make them surrender, because it's super-fun to play the latter half of the game doing just that.

You can do this in the original Jedi Knight games as well. Although in DF2 if you take their weapon they'll just run around scared shitless, still clutching the weapon they no longer have. In MotS they actually try to fight back with their fists.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

david_a posted:

This, I assume?

Man, the source engine is starting to show its age.

Or is it just 12 year pld textures?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

22 Eargesplitten posted:

It looks just bad, and I'm not blaming the source engine.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

It's not the engine, Source stuff can still look nice. The game just looks ugly.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Yeah it's using assets from Half-Life 2 still and those are pretty darn old at this point.

Jehde posted:

You can do this in the original Jedi Knight games as well. Although in DF2 if you take their weapon they'll just run around scared shitless, still clutching the weapon they no longer have. In MotS they actually try to fight back with their fists.

Somehow I forgot about this while making that post, even though I remember laughing very hard at getting decked by a stormtrooper in the first level of MotS.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Its a fan mod dude. Its not AAA. Its not going to look nearly as good as anything professional. One guy did it.

Guillermus posted:

It looks just bad, and I'm not blaming the source engine.

RyokoTK posted:

It's not the engine, Source stuff can still look nice. The game just looks ugly.

Eh to be fair though it is the source engine too. Limited lighting compared to modern techniques, really really restricted level design tools, etc.

If anything this still looks better than HL2's nova prospekt did, which is what its supposed to be. He's using an old engine and old textures and cleaned it up with some slightly better textures but its not going to look like an Unreal 4 game no matter what you do.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

Its a fan mod dude. Its not AAA. Its not going to look nearly as good as anything professional. One guy did it.

Ah, I missed that. I was watching it half asleep on my phone. I'm surprised he can get away with using or implying using an existing character like that.

Wasn't there another fan mod called metastasis or something? Did the third chapter of that ever come out?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Ah, I missed that. I was watching it half asleep on my phone. I'm surprised he can get away with using or implying using an existing character like that.

Wasn't there another fan mod called metastasis or something? Did the third chapter of that ever come out?

quote:

Prospekt was created by myself, Richard Seabrook, over the course of 18 months. I've always wanted to become a video game level designer from as early as I can remember. In 2008 I went to University to study video game design and graduated with a BSc (Hons) in Video Games and Business in 2012.

Thanks to the overwhelming support of the Steam Greenlight community, Prospekt achieved a 60% "yes" vote and as a result, the game was given Greenlit status in June 2015. After lots of extremely hard work the Steam page finally went live January 2016 and Prospekt became available for pre-order!

I can't thank you all enough for voting this through on Greenlight and helping me get to this stage. Without your help I really wouldn't be writing this out today. I'd also like to extend a massive thanks to Valve for their support. I can't wait for you all to play Prospekt when it launches February 2016!

Regards, Richard.

Yeah, he got permission from Valve to use the characters and sell the game, which is A Big Deal.

But it is 100% a fan-mod made by a single dude. (using an old engine, based on a level from an old game)

There's been quite a few fan mods for half-life, a few good ones too even.

The one you're thinking of is MINERVA http://store.steampowered.com/app/235780/ which is also known as MINERVA Metastasis. Its one of the most popular HL2 single player mods by far, after Black Mesa.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
MINERVA is so good that its author got a job at Valve, specifically because they wanted someone who had the same sense of how to layer space as he does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Lemon Curdistan posted:

MINERVA is so good that its author got a job at Valve, specifically because they wanted someone who had the same sense of how to layer space as he does.

I went through a bunch of popular HL2 mods a couple of years ago and yeah, that dude is one hell of a level designer. Now he's probably stuck making reskins of DOTA 2 map...