Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA

qirex posted:

isn't there a lego robot you can build for like $300 that can brute force pin codes

not if there's a lockout

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
doesn't the "lockout" actually wipe the encryption keys from the device?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

infernal machines posted:

yup

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

iPhone 5se coming to wind mobile in canada :ssh:

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

iirc it also wipes it if you circumvent the hardware

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

uncurable mlady posted:

iirc it also wipes it if you circumvent the hardware

error 53 is just a front for terrorism

Ganguro King
Jul 26, 2007

The Management posted:

Apple doesn't want user data and designs their systems so that they don't have access to it. it this was a newer phone with a Secure Element what the fbi is asking for would have been impossible.

ironically if this was a newer phone with secure element they could just use the guy's finger to unlock it

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

fyi this would work even for newer iphones with secure enclaves according to apple

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

cremnob posted:

fyi this would work even for newer iphones with secure enclaves according to apple

Because Apple has the keys to nondestructively update the secure enclave

Keep up, grandpa

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

zen death robot posted:

they're probably going to be forced to comply eventually

Which is the right outcome

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

PleasureKevin posted:

iPhone 5se coming to wind mobile in canada :ssh:

No coincidence it comes just months after they unfucked the imessage and Facetime activation

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

basically if apple loses this case then the all writs act can be used to conscript anyone at a tech company to change ur product to assist law enforcement

https://lawfareblog.com/not-slippery-slope-jump-cliff

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

this effectively makes encryption pointless which is actually pretty amazing as a legal maneuver

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

at least apple gets to extract the PR benefit from going down fighting

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

zen death robot posted:

they're probably going to be forced to comply eventually

maybe, the effa bee eye's argument isn't watertight and if they lose on appeal they'll need congress for the legal authority

i mean i too think it's likely but it may be years down the line

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think it's really gay that tech nerds think they shouldn't be subject to the law IMO. Encryption is supposed to be about preventing random dickheads from stealing your info, not preventing the IRS from auditing you or whatever the gently caress people think they need it for

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Larry Parrish posted:

I think it's really gay that tech nerds think they shouldn't be subject to the law IMO. Encryption is supposed to be about preventing random dickheads from stealing your info, not preventing the IRS from auditing you or whatever the gently caress people think they need it for

ok how do i only let the irs audit me but not rando dickheads

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

Larry Parrish posted:

source yr quotes

KidVanguard
Jan 27, 2006

American Diaper
they're just digging their heels in to set precedent for the inevitable Chinese backdoor requirement.

if they give into the us then China gets a blank check

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

KidVanguard posted:

they're just digging their heels in to set precedent for the inevitable Chinese backdoor requirement.

if they give into the us then China gets a blank check

hm yes i do think apple and their ilk should get to be international gypsies with law unto themselves

this sure is a thing i think ought to happen and not something that some idiot who wrote some fantasy novels 40 years ago that i've read religiously thinks is good to happen

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

what, the wealthiest company in the world using its influence and power to at least momentarily give governments of the world the middle finger?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
no see its ok when our government does it

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug
:qq: please buy new phones :qq:

http://www.macrumors.com/2016/02/18/trade-up-with-installments-iphone-plan/

The (trade-in value) amount doesn't change based on how much storage you have. You'll get as much (trade-in value) for the 16GB version of an iPhone as for the 128GB, despite the fact jumping from 16GB to 128GB cost you $200 when you bought the phone. And the values are for phones with regular use, so don't worry if your device isn't in pristine condition. If you have a cracked screen or other damage, you won't get as much money.

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

cremnob posted:

at least apple gets to extract the PR benefit from going down fighting

glad to see you agree that tim is going to knuckle under and is trying to throw up a smokescreen to fool people into thinking he won't

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Larry Parrish posted:

lmao

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

lmao @ apple apologizing for error 53

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I hope apple beats the us govt

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

triple sulk posted:

lmao @ apple apologizing for error 53
no skin off their nose. tim cook's kinder, gentler apple

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
McAfee will break iPhone crypto for FBI in 3 weeks or eat shoe on live TV

John-loving-McAfee posted:

With all due respect to Tim Cook and Apple, I work with a team of the best hackers on the planet. These hackers attend Defcon in Las Vegas, and they are legends in their local hacking groups, such as HackMiami. They are all prodigies, with talents that defy normal human comprehension. About 75% are social engineers. The remainder are hardcore coders. I would eat my shoe on the Neil Cavuto show if we could not break the encryption on the San Bernardino phone. This is a pure and simple fact.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

lol

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

how are they gonna crack the phone with a bunch of social engineers?

especially when the phones former owner is dead

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

Ludwig van Halen posted:

hey apple boss? what's that private key to sign again? I lost it...

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Ludwig van Halen posted:

they're going to try every permutation of his birthday until the phone wipes itself. then mcafee will appear on the neil cavuto show wearing shoes made of bath salts

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

they're going to try every permutation of his birthday until the phone wipes itself. then mcafee will appear on the neil cavuto show wearing shoes made of bath salts

brute forcing a simple passcode is trivial if you can come up with a way to restart the phone every 9 attempts

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
theyre gonna talk siri into giving away the password

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

uncurable mlady posted:

brute forcing a simple passcode is trivial if you can come up with a way to restart the phone every 9 attempts

it has an incrementing delay between attempts after the first four, which is part of what the fbi wants apple to patch our with a custom firmware

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

evidently what they're asking for is a custom firmware tied specifically to that phone's imei that disables the passcode lockout/delay and allows passcode input through a "device"

then they're just going to brute force it themselves

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2016/02/encryption-isnt-at-stake-the-fbi-knows-apple-already-has-the-desired-key/

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

tl;dr: apple is full of poo poo with this "backdoor our encryption" crap

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

evidently what they're asking for is a custom firmware tied specifically to that phone's imei that disables the passcode lockout/delay and allows passcode input through a "device"

then they're just going to brute fore it themselves

and I'm sure in no way will they try to dump or reverse engineer the custom version of iOS they receive on that device or just try to find the spot in ram that's storing that imei. you can really trust these guys

I can sort of see why they want this. I can sort of see why people might think Apple should be obligated to provide it. I can't see any situation, whether Apple provide just the data or the device with a custom os, that this just won't end up in the same situation as in the snowden leaks with a secret court and a "friendly" judge that just stamps every single trivial request that the fbi makes for approval

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

if they could sign firmware images with apple's key they wouldn't need apple to make the firmware in the first loving place

you can't modify the image without invalidating the signature

• Locked thread