Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Parallax posted:

Boy, that Zyuohger just felt like a lot of stuff happening just to happen. No real lead up to the bad guys showing up, red morphing, or the zords appearing and combining. Hopefully they set up something interesting. I love the singing announcer for all the cubes

Gotta introduce all the cool shiny new toys, in stores now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Really dug FurryRanger. Not quite as much as Gokaiger, but that was a tough act to follow anyway.

I do have a huge complaint, they missed out on making the Red a red panda. It was right there in the pre-opening bit!

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Serperoth posted:

Really dug FurryRanger. Not quite as much as Gokaiger, but that was a tough act to follow anyway.

I do have a huge complaint, they missed out on making the Red a red panda. It was right there in the pre-opening bit!

Pandas aren't a fierce enough creature to sell boys toys. They should've tried to get away with making red a bull

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
Should have made him a human, i would have found it amusing to see a big ole people face on his chest he could have represented the city and then the sixth ranger could have been the eagle instead of three animal shirt crying to the moon. (even if that is awesome)

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Elfgames posted:

Should have made him a human, i would have found it amusing to see a big ole people face on his chest he could have represented the city and then the sixth ranger could have been the eagle instead of three animal shirt crying to the moon. (even if that is awesome)

CUBE HUUUUUMAAAAAAAN!
*giant cube unfolds into Shinobimaru*

fake edit:
"Guardian of the pavement! Zyuoh Human!"

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

deadly_pudding posted:

CUBE HUUUUUMAAAAAAAN!
*giant cube unfolds into Shinobimaru*

Nin nin nin! Nin nin nin nin! Nin nin nin! Nin nin nin nin! NINGEN!

Translator's Note: Ningen means human.

fuckin' takaharu

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Happy 70th birthday, Hiroshi Fujioka!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C02iy00hdNw

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Holy poo poo he's 70 :psyduck:
He looks like he's like middle-aged. Did Toei really turn him into a cyborg in the mid 70s, or something?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah, this was the man two years ago.

He does not look older than his 50s.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013
Even if there is no god or buddha, there will always be Hiroshi Fujioka.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

dordreff posted:

Even if there is no god or buddha, there will always be Hiroshi Fujioka.

Please don't jinx that man

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

deadly_pudding posted:

Holy poo poo he's 70 :psyduck:
He looks like he's like middle-aged. Did Toei really turn him into a cyborg in the mid 70s, or something?

Asian men age like jerky in that, at a certain point of aging, they seem to just never age further.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Surely you've seen the aging process of Pillar Man known as Hirohiko Araki?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Araki wore the stone mask and became a vampire sometime in the 14th century and is thus immortal.

Fujioka is a cyborg, so he still ages, but at a vastly decelerated rate.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

That'd make sense. It'd explain why Araki gets younger every year while Segata Sanshiro here has clearly aged but far less than he should.

I guess Sakurai falls into the same category as Araki.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Makoto using Shotaro's "Let's count up your sins" catchphrase was hilarious. Onari replying with a "That's hard-boiled, Makoto!" quip was comical too. The Legendary Rider Souls specials are amazing. :allears:

FortMax
Mar 22, 2013

The Bunny Hat
Bioman movie

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Killer Queen posted:

Makoto using Shotaro's "Let's count up your sins" catchphrase was hilarious. Onari replying with a "That's hard-boiled, Makoto!" quip was comical too. The Legendary Rider Souls specials are amazing. :allears:

also loved terror's resigned "welp i guess i'll go back now"

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Zoo 2 is up.

Thoughts:
I noticed this last episode, but didn't mention it. Tusk is the only Herbivore on the team which is a little odd, but given it's Sentai and selling toys to boys is the primary goal, having a preponderance of Carnivores makes sense in that boys tend to prefer more masculine animals which are primarily carnivores

Each Zyuman (except for Leo) has a particular sense that's strong in them. I would've though Sela, the shark, would've had the super sharp smell, but apparently their hearing is very good as well (though being a marine animal lets them cheat at that given that sound travels better underwater). Similarly, I would've assumed Tusk, the elephant, would've been the one with powerful ears, but a quick google search showed that elephants have an even better sense of smell. I'd assume mystery Eagle has super sight.

Power Rangers wiki apparently lists the common theme between the generals as minerals and monster in the first episode was a General, himself. As for the monsters, based on this episode's and the preview, it looks like the monster theme may be weapons (though spear and bow fall into a lot of categories such as hunting implements and olympic sports is you consider the spear a javelin).

As per the typical trends, the next few episodes will be Red/other members with episode 3 being Red/White.

Edit: Given that Nalia doesn't fit into the mineral theme and has a vaguely plant-like appearance, it'd interesting if a second, rival, plant themed villain faction showed up and Nalia was a plant. Also there'd be an Animal-Vegetable-Mineral thing going at that point.

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Feb 22, 2016

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

That's a way more nuanced opinion than mine :shobon:

I just wanted to say that the giant robot still looks great in motion, and I liked that one shot of Red flying in while everybody was shooting lightning and explosive claw projectiles all over. It really sold me on the idea that "something is actually happening here", as opposed to a lot of sentai battles where I recognize the location from like 3 other shows, and the monster is just kind of tossing people into plastic patio furniture.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
Man the villains this season really are not playing around, especially compared to Ninninger's; they blew up a ton of poo poo for it only being Episode 2.

EDIT: Well technically they're totally just playing around. But they're really serious about their Blood Game.

Stallion Cabana fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Feb 22, 2016

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Yeah the destruction effects were pretty nice and the shot of the whole battle was pretty great.

I do kind of prefer it when the toku villains have bizarre and whimsical plans like "switching peoples souls with inanimate objects" - has kind of a wacky silver age comics charm to it - so I found this monster kind of boring, but the effects were pretty cool.

I'm still holding out hope for the villains to be fun this season. I really like how they actually welcome a challenge and there's also some competition between them, and genis's suit looks pretty cool. I liked how great a moment him just standing up to full height in attention was in episode one without anyone over explaining what that meant.
I'm also hoping this episode dispels some of the fear that Yamato is going to be like Takaharu. He might be specially favored by EAGLEMAN INSURANCE but he's not a complete dipshit so far.

The Skeep
Sep 15, 2007

That Chicken sure loves to drum...sticks
I think it's an important distinction that while in episode 1 the zyumans (zyumen?) needed Yamato's help to defeat the enemy, in ep 2 its flipped and he needs their help.
Sure, He's got the flashiest animal power and the crazy whip sword, but its still very much a team effort.

its a a marked improvement over Takaharu rendering the five other members of his group utterly superfluous on a regular basis.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

The Skeep posted:

I think it's an important distinction that while in episode 1 the zyumans (zyumen?) needed Yamato's help to defeat the enemy, in ep 2 its flipped and he needs their help.
Sure, He's got the flashiest animal power and the crazy whip sword, but its still very much a team effort.

its a a marked improvement over Takaharu rendering the five other members of his group utterly superfluous on a regular basis.

Also they have an actual group finisher.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
the badguy's base is a bow and arrow roulette

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011
I was watching Zyuohger and is it just me or does the lady in the top of this screenshot look like one of the Gekiranger masters in drag?

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
I started playing Lost Heroes, which has Kamen Rider, Ultraman and Gundam characters in it. I've got the Gundam stuff covered but the KRs and Ultramans in the game are all from stuff I haven't seen. I don't think I'll watch every single show to get all the references but I at least want to watch one or two so I can just have guys from those shows in my party and understand where they're coming from. So, of the following which one (or two) should I watch from each universe?

Kamen Rider
Kamen Rider Ichigo
Kamen Rider Denou
Kamen Rider Black RX (is that a sequel to Black or are they unrelated? I ask because if so I'd have to watch Black first I guess)
Kamen Rider OOO
Kamen Rider W

Ultraman
Ultraman
Ultraseven (Ultraman Seven?)
Ultraman Taro
Ultraman Mebius

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Getsuya posted:

I started playing Lost Heroes, which has Kamen Rider, Ultraman and Gundam characters in it. I've got the Gundam stuff covered but the KRs and Ultramans in the game are all from stuff I haven't seen. I don't think I'll watch every single show to get all the references but I at least want to watch one or two so I can just have guys from those shows in my party and understand where they're coming from. So, of the following which one (or two) should I watch from each universe?

Kamen Rider
Kamen Rider Ichigo
Kamen Rider Denou
Kamen Rider Black RX (is that a sequel to Black or are they unrelated? I ask because if so I'd have to watch Black first I guess)
Kamen Rider OOO
Kamen Rider W

Ultraman
Ultraman
Ultraseven (Ultraman Seven?)
Ultraman Taro
Ultraman Mebius

It is UltraSeven.

First very important question- what do you think of older television. Like, shows from the 80s or 70s?

Or like, Classic Star Trek

That'll go a long way to what to recommend and how to explain a few things

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
I watch classic Star Trek all the time with my fiance, we're both fans of old TV shows. I even love black and white stuff like the original Twilight Zone.

Edit: Also if it helps I've only watched bits and pieces of some Kamen Rider series but I really liked them. I watched almost all of Kuuga, some of Agito and some of 555. Of those I liked 555 the best by far, though Kuuga and Agito were good too.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Watch Kamen Rider W, it's really, really good. OOO is also good but it has moments of really bad pacing, so I'd recommend watching it with a guide of what you can safely skip.

Don't watch Den-O, it's lame.

Black RX is a sequel to Black, yes. I haven't watched either (or the first KR) so I can't give an opinion there though.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
That helps tremendously.

UltraSeven is your go to pick for Ultraman- it was made in 1967 and can be found https://www.shoutfactorytv.com/series/ultra-seven here.

It is very similar to classic Trek in a lot of ways, just centered on Earth and with a super hero in the lead role. Lots of moral questions, alien invaders, and some more tragic moments. One episode is literally a commentary on the Cuban Missile Crisis from the point of view of Japan.

From there you can either go with the original Ultraman, which is a monster of the week series where every episode is basically a mini monster movie from the 60s, or Ultraman Mebius which was made in 2006 and is the 40th anniversary series for the franchise. It has a lot of references and callbacks, but is over all a pretty solid show with an extremely shonen plot. Ultraman can be found in subbed form on shout factory as well or in dubbed form on Hulu. Mebius can be found on Crunchyroll.

For Kamen Rider, I'd suggest W from that list. It's by far the strongest completed show.

The original I give a weak recommend only because it is not fully subbed. If it was, I'd say mix it in with W for a bit of Old and New, as the original is still pretty fantastic and just a lot of fun. You can see how they figured out how to make the whole karate bug man thing work and the show is constantly changing and evolving.

EDIT: Shows to avoid are Taro, which is atrocious and ugly even for when it was made, and Black RX, which is just kind of a mess and lame even if it has fantastic music. Den-O is a comedy so that falls on you.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
I would watch Kamen Rider: The First to get the plot beats of the original, and then watch OOO and W.

No idea about Ultraman.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
The past Ghost episodes have convinced me that they had a long good look at wizard, found what made it not good and fixed it all.

I can't believe I'm even starting to like Onari. :confuoot: I had already warmed up to the girl, but these past episodes made her good.

It occurs to me that it's a really neat touch that Necrom for all intents and purposes looks and feels like a mechanical rider from from the world of ghosts, while Spectrer and Ghost are more mystical and hail from the world of man.

It's pretty funny how Takeru doesn't even bother going into his base mode anymore ever since he received Tokon boost.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Darth TNT posted:

It's pretty funny how Takeru doesn't even bother going into his base mode anymore ever since he received Tokon boost.

Yeah, it seems so far they're doing what they did with Kiva in that regard. Once Wataru got Emperor Form he almost never used his base form again for the rest of the series.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Larryb posted:

Yeah, it seems so far they're doing what they did with Kiva in that regard. Once Wataru got Emperor Form he almost never used his base form again for the rest of the series.

Iirc that was something to do with that suit being far more comfortable and not back pain inducing than the base suit

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Literally The Worst posted:

Iirc that was something to do with that suit being far more comfortable and not back pain inducing than the base suit

Yeah, the Kiva suit was really unbalanced and clunky. They used real metal on the right leg, which made it look great, but a bitch to fight in.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I mean to be fair, Emperor was pretty bitching. Shame about the sword.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Jossy's 2 when

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Supernova is still a really great track, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Finally saw the first episode of Furry Rangers.

I can dig it. I also like how they can't go back to Zooland because they don't wanna keep spending money on animal costumes, lol.

• Locked thread