Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

quote:

The Electoral Commission has today announced that it has opened an investigation into allegations regarding the Conservative Party spending return at the 2015 UK Parliamentary General Election

The investigation opened by the Commission today focuses on whether the Conservative Party met their reporting obligations under the Political Parties Elections and Referendums Act (PPERA) 2000, specifically:

-whether the spending reported by the party in its 2015 UKPGE campaign spending return, in relation to the Royal Harbour Hotel Ramsgate, was notnational campaign spending and therefore should not have been included in the party’s return;
- whether spending on the Premier Inn Margate was national campaign spending and therefore should have been included in the party’s 2015 UKPGE campaign spending return.

It's happening! Oh this could be huge! Heads will roll, resignations will fly, the government itself will topple and th-

quote:

The Commission’s sanctioning powers are limited to a civil penalty of up to £20,000

:bang:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

"Comments are disabled for this video"

Gosh, I wonder why.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Shameful hypocrisy. They should have put it on ToryTube, where the comments still have to work even if they're disabled.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
dark

lol

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Guavanaut posted:

Shameful hypocrisy. They should have put it on ToryTube, where the comments still have to work even if they're disabled.

:vince:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Being fair I couldn't finish watching either of those videos, Labour's or the tories.

If your political ad is longer than like 30 seconds people are just going to put a gun to their head.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

i can't help but feel that they're coming at this in rather the wrong way

nobody's going to take corbyn bein some kind of terrifying communist menace seriously. they could probably make some progress if they tried to make him seem ridiculous and pathetic, but if they're going to make "corbyn bad" a cornerstone of any kind of campaign i doubt "he's scary" is at all well-conceived

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

unless i have fundamentally misunderstood some primal terror that lurks in the hearts of the british, of course

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

V. Illych L. posted:

unless i have fundamentally misunderstood some primal terror that lurks in the hearts of the british, of course

There has been at least one local woman who was 'traumatised' by seeing a cow in a field. The British public are bewildered, frightened idiots.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
They even include the setup for McDonnell's Mao gag, that it being about Osborne being friends with the Chinese. Why keep that in?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Yeah, I suspect that the more they go on abour Corbyn being an imminent danger, the more he's going to look like a serious contender instead.

Pantsuit
Oct 28, 2013

V. Illych L. posted:

corbyn doesn't think refugees are a purely evil horde of rapists

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

MrL_JaKiri posted:

They even include the setup for McDonnell's Mao gag, that it being about Osborne being friends with the Chinese. Why keep that in?

in a sense it's endearing. they try to do american-style negative campaigning, but they are just incredibly bad at it

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
At the risk of continuing Supreme Court chat from a few pages back, the SC has declared that Joint Enterprise has been wrongly interpreted for the past 30 years. This came after a few years of protests led by the mother of one of those convicted under it.

This means that a lot of people who were convicted of murder despite not actually murdering anyone, and in some cases trying to deescalate the events that led to a murder, could appeal their dubious convictions.

The BBC lunchtime news reported it as "hundreds of convicted murderers could be released due to a new Supreme Court ruling" which while technically accurate... :ughh:

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Cerebral Bore posted:

Yeah, I suspect that the more they go on abour Corbyn being an imminent danger, the more he's going to look like a serious contender instead.

Kind of like how anti-drug campaigns fail because kids get the impression that all the cool kids are doing drugs and they are being lame by missing out

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

:golfclap:

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

:golfclap:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Should be the thread title for next month IMO

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Guavanaut posted:

:eyepop:

Now thats a post.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

I was trying to come up with something Tory/Disabled related but couldn't manage it, and regardless, it wouldn't have been half as good as this. Bravo.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Guavanaut posted:

:vince:

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Guavanaut posted:

Excellent :golfclap:

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Well-known communist sympathisers the OECD have reduced their growth forecasts and called for more public investment by the government. George Osborne hails this as an endorsement for his policies, somehow:

OECD calls for less austerity and more public investment

quote:

The OECD has called for its rich-country members to ease up on austerity and collectively agree to spend more on infrastructure projects to boost flagging growth.

The Paris-based Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development expressed concern about the state of the global economy as it cut growth forecasts made three months ago and warned that low interest rates and money creation by central banks were no longer enough for a lasting recovery.

Marking the latest stage in its shift away from support for austerity, the OECD criticised the over-reliance on monetary policy – low interest rates and the money-creation process known as quantitative easing – and urged that countries adopt a more balanced approach.

The OECD has in the past supported the deficit-reduction programme taken by the UK chancellor, George Osborne, but believes Britain should now join with other countries in spending more on public investment.

“A stronger collective policy response is needed to strengthen demand,” the OECD said in its interim economic outlook, which reduced growth estimates for every member of the G7 group of leading industrial nations – the US, the UK, Germany, Japan, Italy, France and Canada.

“Monetary policy cannot work alone. Fiscal policy is now contractionary in many major economies. Structural reform momentum has slowed.”

The OECD reduced its 2016 global growth forecast by 0.3 points to 3%, leaving it unchanged on 2015 – the weakest year for global activity in half a decade. It also shaved 0.3 points off its 2017 forecast, reducing it to 3.3%.

It added that the performance of the global economy was worse than its long-term average and weaker than would be expected during a recovery in the developed world and amid potential for a period of catch-up in emerging economies.

“The downgrade in forecasts is widespread, reflecting a broad range of disappointing incoming data for the fourth quarter of 2015 and the recent weakness and volatility in global financial markets.”

Fiscal policy involves measures that affect tax and public spending, and the OECD said a more expansionary approach was needed to create a more favourable climate for structural reforms that would lead to higher productivity. It advocated that all countries should borrow at ultra-low interest rates for infrastructure projects, and that this would lead to stronger growth and lower debt levels. The call reflects the OECD’s concern that investment has failed to pick up during the recovery.

“Many countries have room for fiscal expansion to strengthen demand. This should focus on policies with strong short-run benefits and that also contribute to long-term growth.

“A commitment to raising public investment collectively would boost demand while remaining on a fiscally sustainable path.”

It added that investment spending had a high multiplier effect, with strong knock-on effects from investment projects on overall growth rates. Quality infrastructure would support future growth and make up for “the shortfall in investment following the cuts imposed across advanced countries in recent years”.

The outlook report added: “The benefits of structural reforms would be enhanced by a more supportive demand environment, which increases the benefits to firms and workers of the new opportunities created and helps to support the necessary reallocation of resources.”

The OECD said it now expected the UK to grow by 2.1% in 2016 and 2% in 2017 – in both years a reduction of 0.3 points on its November 2015 forecasts. Its estimates for the US have been shaved by 0.5 points to 2% in 2016 and by 0.2 points to 2.2% in 2017.

It added that the slow recovery in the eurozone was an important factor dragging on the global recovery and left Europe vulnerable to global shocks. The OECD cut 0.4 points off eurozone growth in 2016 and 0.2 points off eurozone growth in 2017, reducing its GDP estimates to 1.4% and 1.7% respectively. China’s growth has been left unchanged at 6.5% in 2016 and 6.2% in 2017.

Chancellor George Osborne said: “Today’s OECD forecasts are another demonstration of the cocktail of risks facing the world this year, with expectations for global growth downgraded in 2016 and 2017.

“It is not surprising that this is expected to have an impact on growth the UK, though thanks to our economic plan we are forecast to be the fastest growing of the G7 economies this year.

“In a turbulent economic climate, we need to show resilience and resolve and keep taking the action necessary to restore order to the public finances and deliver economic security for working people.”

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

No Inception BWWAAAAAAHS I don't believe there is a threat.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

reggie yates is amazingly handsome

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

thespaceinvader posted:

No Inception BWWAAAAAAHS I don't believe there is a threat.

Haha.

Also when the Scottish bit starts the woman speaker says 'believes in human potential' right as the video changes to a robot arm in a factory, practically the only part of the video not featuring a human...

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

namesake posted:

Haha.

Also when the Scottish bit starts the woman speaker says 'believes in human potential' right as the video changes to a robot arm in a factory, practically the only part of the video not featuring a human...

That was the Scottish Tory voting bloc.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!
Did the Parliamentary Labour Party vote to go on strike?

This is like the Kinnock years when they seem more interested in scoring points against internal rivals than actually looking like they could govern. They need to wake up and see that just not being the Tories is not enough, they need to have a clear message on how they are better.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Foxtrot_13 posted:

This is like the Kinnock years when they seem more interested in scoring points against internal rivals than actually looking like they could govern. They need to wake up and see that just not being the Tories is not enough, they need to have a clear message on how they are better.

tbh just not melting down in public is actually a bit of an improvement, hopefully they can get their act further together in a bit

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Foxtrot_13 posted:

Parliament isn't sitting at the moment, they're having a recess, so it would be slightly odd for the PLP to be doing much right now.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Pork Pie Hat posted:

Parliament isn't sitting at the moment, they're having a recess

Bunch of workshy skivers

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Niric posted:

Well-known communist sympathisers the OECD have reduced their growth forecasts and called for more public investment by the government. George Osborne hails this as an endorsement for his policies, somehow:

OECD calls for less austerity and more public investment

Remember the Tories don't actually think austerity works. I don't think anyone does. It's just an excellent lie to children (stupid people) that makes it ok when you HAVE to dismantle the welfare system and funnel money into your friends pockets.

There will be no revelation. No mass of Tories face palming and disclaiming "Oh forgive us, we thought it could work!". It's just a convenient lie that the British public have proven very susceptible to. Possibly due to things like "Blitz spirit" and other TRUE GRIT national prides. The idiots truly believe we're all in this together.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

I honestly couldn't tell you the last time I heard the word gaga and it wasn't about the pop star or the queen song.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Yeah, Osborne spins it as supporting him because of course he does. He can just throw out catchphrases like Strong Economy and Northern Powerhouse to imply that government investment is exactly what's happening. Even a cursory peep behind the curtain makes it clear it's bollocks, but nobody bothers

Remember 'con' is short for 'confidence trick'

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Puntification posted:

I honestly couldn't tell you the last time I heard the word gaga and it wasn't about the pop star or the queen song.

Tsk. Pearl clutchers. Not that they would mind the ill and disenfranchised having their benefits stopped.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
gently caress's sake. You know the European Working Time Directive, that thing that prevents us being worked to death by our slavedriving overlords?

Yeah, they're trying to stop that applying to doctors via private members' bill http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/bills/cbill/2015-2016/0046/16046.pdf

Fuckers.

(Also, overtime and travel time in a move which will surprise basically no in-home care workers anywhere).

:commissar:

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

thespaceinvader posted:

gently caress's sake. You know the European Working Time Directive, that thing that prevents us being worked to death by our slavedriving overlords?

Yeah, they're trying to stop that applying to doctors via private members' bill http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/bills/cbill/2015-2016/0046/16046.pdf

Fuckers.

(Also, overtime and travel time in a move which will surprise basically no in-home care workers anywhere).

:commissar:

Why does it irk me that this is in Palatino font

Green Wing
Oct 28, 2013

It's the only word they know, but it's such a big word for a tiny creature

It's a Christopher Chope PMB, it won't and can't become law, calm down. Much like when he presented the same PMB last Session,

Christopher Chope really likes presenting PMBs that can't become law.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Wing
Oct 28, 2013

It's the only word they know, but it's such a big word for a tiny creature

Seriously, don't just post random Private Member's Bills and say "Look at what they are doing!" else you will be either very frightened or very disappointed a great deal.

Current PMBs that also won't receive a second reading are the UK Borders Control Bill (Christopher Chope, also tried last Session), which would "make provision to ensure that the United Kingdom has absolute control over the right to prevent non-UK citizens from entering the United Kingdom; to determine the circumstances in which non-UK citizens may be required to leave the United Kingdom; and for connected purposes."

And the BBC Privatisation Bill (actually first on the Order Paper so will get a debate next Friday if he prints the loving thing on time)' (Peter Bone, also tried last Session), which would "make provision for the privatisation of the British Broadcasting Corporation by providing shares in the Corporation to all licence fee payers." if it's the same bill as last year

Green Wing fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Feb 18, 2016

• Locked thread