Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Zebulon posted:

Rifleman is, officially, an anti-air mech. Its job is to shoot down aircraft. Taking one into combat against another mech is one of those things that is considered borderline suicidal at best.

But still, what can it do the Jäger cant?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

Yolomon Wayne posted:

But still, what can it do the Jäger cant?

Pretty sure the JagerMech was literally its replacement in the timeline/canon. So probably not much? The hero JagerMech even had the canon base Rifleman's loadout before we had the Rifleman.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Kurzon posted:

I love SRMs. I also love large pulse lasers. The problem with a Timber Wolf is that if I put the lasers on the arms then I can't peek over hills to snipe, and if I put them in the left shoulder then I can't put SRMs there. My dream mech is one that has high mounts for large pulse lasers and can pack four SRMs anywhere else.

Stalker can do 3 LL and 4 srm4+A, or 2 LPL and 4 srm6+A.

The Stalker-5M is the best brawler because it gets 35% more torso twist distance, this is important on stalkers.

STK-5M

I have a feeling you want to fit 4 clan er mediums and 4 srm6 on some kind of good clan mech, the sotrmcrow can do so but it explodes with all the ammo being in the arms and torso. This might work I'm going to go try it right now.

SCR-A

Washout fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Feb 18, 2016

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Zebulon posted:

Pretty sure the JagerMech was literally its replacement in the timeline/canon. So probably not much? The hero JagerMech even had the canon base Rifleman's loadout before we had the Rifleman.

Ok, that makes sense.
Not that they are in the same game as their replacement, but yeah...
I guess a "legacy-queue" is completly out of question.

On the LPL+SRM:
Hillhump-Jag

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"
You could move all the ammo to the legs/head. That robot dies to a stiff breeze tho.

Sputty
Mar 20, 2005

Zebulon posted:

Rifleman is, officially, an anti-air mech. Its job is to shoot down aircraft. Taking one into combat against another mech is one of those things that is considered borderline suicidal at best.

Also, the Jagermech and Quickdraw were both replacements for it. The Rifleman is a bad weight for ballistics, where heavier is better, and doesn't offer anything new to energy.
They're adding 3060 mechs already so stuff like the Hatamoto-Chi and Bushwacker could be out already in the timeline if that's a worry and the Fafnir is around 3060. I'd say the Uziel but with PPCs how they are adding a PPC poptart would be meaningless. Also those mechs would offer something new. The rifleman was too similar to the jagermech to be new or interesting.
I think they need to start adding a couple new weapons and working on making projectile weapons worthwhile again. The poptart nerf to projectile weapons was a long time ago and since then PPCs and autocannons have been in a bad place.

Sputty fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Feb 18, 2016

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Washout posted:

You could move all the ammo to the legs/head. That robot dies to a stiff breeze tho.

According to smurfy´s, i cant.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

Sputty posted:

Also, the Jagermech and Quickdraw were both replacements for it. The Rifleman is a bad weight for ballistics, where heavier is better, and doesn't offer anything new to energy.
They're adding 3060 mechs already so stuff like the Hatamoto-Chi and Bushwacker could be out already in the timeline if that's a worry and the Fafnir is around 3060. I'd say the Uziel but with PPCs how they are adding a PPC poptart would be meaningless. Also those mechs would offer something new. The rifleman was too similar to the jagermech to be new or interesting.
I think they need to start adding a couple new weapons and working on making projectile weapons worthwhile again. The poptart nerf to projectile weapons was a long time ago and since then PPCs and autocannons have been in a bad place.

Officially the timeline is 3052 for tech to pull from. Or so said some old tweet or another when they were commenting on the mechs they choose for the packs. They really should have set things in the Fed-Com Civil War era, or at least pushed it there after figuring out how bullshit Clan Invasion era IS vs. Clan tech disparity is. A lot more iconic mechs are available in the 3060s, plus the IS gains technological parity, or at least gains distinctly different but capable tools to deal with Clan tech superiority. They have the full range of ER lasers, X-Pulse lasers, Light PPCs, Snub-Nose PPCs, Plasma Rifles, Light ACs, full assortment of Streak SRMs, Heavy Gauss Rifles, Omnimech technology, etc at their disposal to help even the odds. Meanwhile the Clans get ATMs and Heavy Lasers. Maybe HAGs are out by then too? Trying to marry things to the Invasion plot kind of hosed things up.

Plus at some point they're going to have to push ahead to Fed-Com Civil War. How else will they introduce the Word of Blake Jihad pack with the Celestial Series mechs? While I'm having my pipe dreams, how about Assault Lasers from MW4:Mechs MekTek and the Deimos since its canon now despite being introduced there.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Washout posted:

I have a feeling you want to fit 4 clan er mediums and 4 srm6 on some kind of good clan mech, the sotrmcrow can do so but it explodes with all the ammo being in the arms and torso. This might work I'm going to go try it right now.

SCR-A

Trip report: it sucks and is too hot.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

Yolomon Wayne posted:

What was its role in the tabletop?
Was it equally useless there, or was it different ages or something?
At some point it must have made sense to exist i think.

Under armored, and under-sinked if it wasn't under armed.

There were really good variants that came out with the Project Phoenix redesigns (dual RAC/5s :getin: and a fast dual lbx-10 brawler) but grogs hate new things.

The Jagermech was designed to be its replacement but was even shittier as a combat mech.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Kurzon posted:

I love SRMs. I also love large pulse lasers. The problem with a Timber Wolf is that if I put the lasers on the arms then I can't peek over hills to snipe, and if I put them in the left shoulder then I can't put SRMs there. My dream mech is one that has high mounts for large pulse lasers and can pack four SRMs anywhere else.

Isn't this the battlemasters schtick? the high-mount lasers, anyway.

I think one of the awesomes fits that bill, but awesomes arent.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

What are the good brawling mechs right now beyond the Atlas?

Sputty
Mar 20, 2005

Drythe posted:

What are the good brawling mechs right now beyond the Atlas?

Timberwolf is a really good SRM or MPL brawling mech. Also a really good mid-range LPL mech or a gauss mech or almost anything. Stormcrows are also able to do anything.

One of the reasons the best clan mechs are good brawlers is the reason they're good in general. They're fast, have great hitboxes for spreading damage and the clan XL means they don't die when they lose a ST like IS mechs. Even if they slow down it's better than dying. Clan SRMs are also really light.

Mixing LPL and SRMs is probably a flawed idea. LPLs outrange IS large lasers. You should run MPLs before LPLs in a mixed clan SRM/laser brawler. That way you can fit a higher alpha and their ranges sync better. Also, the shorter duration is nice for twisting after the SRM shot.

Sputty fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Feb 18, 2016

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

I thought the Timberwolf had large nose syndrome

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Drythe posted:

A little bit but it's outweighed by being fabulous at everything else

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
I don't know why people are having so much trouble with Riflemen unless they're running stock armor which, yeah of course you're going to die to a stiff breeze.

The 3C, even with an XL, did serious work for me last night. 2 AC/10's, 4 medium lasers. I think the main issue has to do with the map you're on. If you're stuck on level ground, it's not great, and getting focused will end you quickly. But even a single hill to hump makes it a murdermachine. Those high mounts let you get the first strike, and AC/10's are easy as hell to aim and lead with. A lot of Timber Wolves, Catapaults, Atlases and Stalkers died last night due to them being gigantic "Shoot Me" signs.

Drythe posted:

It does.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
So I can't decide which is going to be more effective.
6ac2+2flamer+all the ammo
or
4ac5+2ll+most of the ammo

6ac2 is super fun, but surprisingly hot with fire control.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

I want to make an SRM Flamer Timberwolf.

Really I just want to put flamers on everything now.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

veedubfreak posted:

or

AC/5's all day.

Sputty
Mar 20, 2005

veedubfreak posted:

or

AC/2s are really really bad. 6 AC/2 is 12 damage that runs really hot. Every AC/2 king crab I see is something I'll just run in front of and kill because they can't put out enough damage.

A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

"Anyone who enjoys MWO is a shitty player. You have to hate it in order to be pro like me."

I'm actually just very good at curb stomping randoms on a team. :ssh:

well bully for that guy, but im gay and i eat garbage and live in a garbage can full of garbage that i eat. scared?

A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

"Anyone who enjoys MWO is a shitty player. You have to hate it in order to be pro like me."

dang, owned by a word filter

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

AC2s seem really terrible if you can run ultra AC5s or AC5.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

The arrow with the machine gun ROF increase is a mean little bastard

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
paging #19, paging #19

dafuq?

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
It sure would be nice if they fixed all the balance stuff you guys talk about

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010
What's the opinion on Orion IIC and Highlander IIC? Picked up the Hunchback IIC pack and they are fun little glass cannons.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

That Gobbo posted:

What's the opinion on Orion IIC and Highlander IIC? Picked up the Hunchback IIC pack and they are fun little glass cannons.

The regular Orion and Highlander are p. bad and the IIC versions are somehow worse

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

The Jenner IIC with a billion SRMs insta-coring someone from the back is hilarious

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Banano posted:

paging #19, paging #19

dafuq?

This looks very similiar to the thing that happened to me in the 6xUAC2 direwolf.
At some point all guns would simply stop or flicker and my framerate was <10

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

NihilCredo posted:

Old bird here who just reinstalled for funsies. I've got elited / mastered Jenners, Centurions, and Stalkers, plus the free Thunderbolt 9S from a while ago which I don't like very much (though maybe it's because I keep trying to use it as a 3PPC sniper - I accept build suggestions). Also about 10M C-Bills saved up.

What would be a good 70-tonner to fill up my IS dropship? I'd like a ballistic build, since I haven't tried one yet. That would point me towards either the Warhammer 6R, or a Cataphract - is the 3D still the best C-Bills 'phract?

This is me, except I have Cataphracts, Atlases, and Stalkers (not the good laser boat one, though), and I have 14.5M C-Bills. I stopped when they added ELO or whatever to matchmaking I think. Anyway are the builds/ratings in the OP up to date? I'm thinking getting a clan mech might be a good time if they're actually good, either a Stormcrow or maybe a Direwolf? The Stormcrow would be more for a change of pace, because I've never really driven a medium before, while the Direwolf would be like the Stalkers I really like, but better. Or is there some reason I should stick with IS mechs since I already have 9 of them?

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

TehSaurus posted:

This is me, except I have Cataphracts, Atlases, and Stalkers (not the good laser boat one, though), and I have 14.5M C-Bills. I stopped when they added ELO or whatever to matchmaking I think. Anyway are the builds/ratings in the OP up to date? I'm thinking getting a clan mech might be a good time if they're actually good, either a Stormcrow or maybe a Direwolf? The Stormcrow would be more for a change of pace, because I've never really driven a medium before, while the Direwolf would be like the Stalkers I really like, but better. Or is there some reason I should stick with IS mechs since I already have 9 of them?

The direwolf isn't really better than the stalker. The stalker is a front line assault mech, capable of performing well in the line of battle, dishing out as much as it takes. The direwolf is a fire support mech, capable of dishing out monstrous damage while being terribly fragile. They don't have the same playstyle at all.

The stormcrow is, hands down, the best medium in the game. Flexible, fast and reasonably durable, it can perform a huge number of roles and excel at each of them. It's expensive to master, but worth having is you like any of its possible roles (striker, flanker, hunter). If you are wary of the costs, wait until a trial version turns up to try it out.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

EoRaptor posted:

The stormcrow is, hands down, the best medium in the game. Flexible, fast and reasonably durable, it can perform a huge number of roles and excel at each of them. It's expensive to master, but worth having is you like any of its possible roles (striker, flanker, hunter). If you are wary of the costs, wait until a trial version turns up to try it out.

There is a trial stormcrow since i started playing in november.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Banano posted:

paging #19, paging #19

dafuq?

Oh good, the flamer bug's back.

The game thinks you've had the flamer button held down the entire time and has hit its maximum heat increment, so every time you try to fire it spikes you into shutdown range.

I ran into that in a Spider (with a flamer) years ago, it triggered because I had the temerity to jump while flaming. I shut down and never powered back up.

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

EoRaptor posted:

The direwolf isn't really better than the stalker. The stalker is a front line assault mech, capable of performing well in the line of battle, dishing out as much as it takes. The direwolf is a fire support mech, capable of dishing out monstrous damage while being terribly fragile. They don't have the same playstyle at all.

I didn't realize the Direwolf was fragile fire support. Sounds like it can be excellent with coordination but terrible otherwise - so not good for pub-drops but maybe great in goon drops provided I'm not terrible (I'm terrible and also probably drunk). Maybe I'd be better off just buying the 4N if I want to go this way since I've already got a bunch of elite stalkers.

I love giant things, but the Stormcrow sounds like it might be the best way to try some new roles that I've never really looked at before since I've never driven a medium. I think from what I looked at 14m would be enough to set up one of the builds in the OP. But checking out the trial first seems like a good idea.

A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

TehSaurus posted:

I didn't realize the Direwolf was fragile fire support. Sounds like it can be excellent with coordination but terrible otherwise - so not good for pub-drops but maybe great in goon drops provided I'm not terrible (I'm terrible and also probably drunk). Maybe I'd be better off just buying the 4N if I want to go this way since I've already got a bunch of elite stalkers.

I love giant things, but the Stormcrow sounds like it might be the best way to try some new roles that I've never really looked at before since I've never driven a medium. I think from what I looked at 14m would be enough to set up one of the builds in the OP. But checking out the trial first seems like a good idea.

The problem with the direwolf is that everyone recognizes it immediately as a huge threat and it gets targeted down very quickly. Especially now that the trial has dual LPL/dual gauss and is actually dangerous.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

TehSaurus posted:

A Curvy Goonette posted:

The problem with the direwolf is that everyone recognizes it immediately as a huge threat and it gets targeted down very quickly. Especially now that the trial has dual LPL/dual gauss and is actually dangerous.

Yeah this. It also can't twist and doesn't have structure bonuses, so it's easy to isolate a component

a Dire is still very strong when played correctly as one alpha from it can wreck most opponents. What you have to realize is that unlike an Atlas, you can't push with your armor and get in peoples' faces -- you have to push with your weapons, and that means positioning yourself so the fewest number of enemies possible are shooting back at you while you're unleashing your dual gauss plus lasers

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

TehSaurus posted:

The Stormcrow's pretty fun. You usually want to lurk around the assaults until some light rushes in to try for a kill, then gun them down before they realize you're there.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
I want the next IS group to be the Bushwacker, Guillotine, Javelin and Cyclops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teepo
Oct 14, 2004

yospos
5mpl stormcrow, own all day

• Locked thread