Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
shmuplations posted a translated interview between Hitoshi Ariga (the guy behind MM Megamix) and Akira Kitamura, the director of MM1/2 and the guy who designed MM alongside Inafune (or was ripped off by him, depending on how angry you are): http://shmuplations.com/megaman/

Kitamura's a bit of a recluse and I cant recall seeing many if any interviews with him about MM, especially ones conducted after he left Capcom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
It's a really good interview. I particularly liked this bit:

Ariga posted:

Another thing I’ve wondered about for awhile: why can you kill Metal Man in two hits with the Metal Blade?! Was that actually in your planning docs? I remember being momentarily stunned when I discovered this… then I burst out laughing! There’s never been another boss like that before or since. It was really memorable.

Kitamura posted:

That was written into the planning docs, yes. It’s a “hidden trick.” In the old days, if your game didn’t have any secrets, it was difficult to get it featured in the various gaming magazines. Also, there’s the secret in Mega Man 2 where you can change the stars to birds in the boss select screen—that was added for the same reason.
Typically people just talk/think about 'secrets' in these games being stuff done purely to add replayability or as some sort of lost retro game art, it's weird and a little funny to think of it as "if you don't have these in your game for us to basically release as incentive to buy our magazine, we won't feature you."

Dr. Spitesworth
Dec 31, 2007
Yoink.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

shmuplations posted a translated interview between Hitoshi Ariga (the guy behind MM Megamix) and Akira Kitamura, the director of MM1/2 and the guy who designed MM alongside Inafune (or was ripped off by him, depending on how angry you are): http://shmuplations.com/megaman/

Kitamura's a bit of a recluse and I cant recall seeing many if any interviews with him about MM, especially ones conducted after he left Capcom.

According to Manami Matsumae, Kitamura left video games altogether and doesn't even keep in touch with any of the other Mega Man staff (http://www.usgamer.net/articles/manami-matsumae). I know a few people who have tried hunting him down in recent years to no avail. So this interview was a very welcome surprise.

Not sure what happened there, but it's a shame. The few games he designed were all pretty incredible and very forward-thinking.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Stop whatever you're doing

Mega Man 4 Remade is here.

Listening now and it's pretty excellent so far, seven tracks in.

KennyMan666 fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Feb 17, 2016

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
If it's better than the Megaman 2 Remade he did I'll give it a listen, that one was loving atrocious

Megaman 3 Remade was really good though, but MM2R that he made after MM3R was so terrible I stopped paying attention to his stuff

edit: he did right by Cossack Stage 3, this soundtrack is certified Fresh

edit edit: WAIT NO WHAT THE gently caress IS THIS poo poo HALFWAY THROUGH COSSACK 3 GOD drat IT RUSHJET

THROW IT ALL IN THE CREEK

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Feb 17, 2016

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Captain Invictus posted:

If it's better than the Megaman 2 Remade he did I'll give it a listen, that one was loving atrocious

Megaman 3 Remade was really good though, but MM2R that he made after MM3R was so terrible I stopped paying attention to his stuff
The timeline was actually MM3R - MMR - MM2R. I agree that MM2R wasn't as good as his previous work, but the robot master stages and Wily 1 were at least good, and the following MMIIGBR was absolutely fantastic, so give that a listen if you haven't.

Getting into the Cossack stages on 4R now...

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
He does good konami-ized versions of stuff, and he should stick to it

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
MM4 Remade was pretty good right up until the Cossack and Wily tracks. The Robot Masters all ranged from good to great (Dive Man in particular was the best). No obvious clunkers, but some strange arrangement choices in the Wily/Cossack levels. There's nothing there as inventive as MM3's Boss Rush, but then again MM4's boss music is pretty lame compared to 2 and 3. Overall the boss tracks are average.

I think the tack he took with the Wily stages in MM3R is the way to go (a traditional arrangement and a different one for the repeat). He basically did that with Cossack 1 and 2, except the second one is the more traditional one. Cossack 3 seemed like it went traditional right up until that wacky middle bit. I'm not as put off by it as Captain Invictus, but it is definitely way out of left field for something that sounded like a traditional Konami-esque update. Cossack 4... not sure where he was going with that. It's supposed to be suspenseful but it falls completely on its face. It doesn't work at all.

Wily Stage 1 and 2... completely underwhelming, and that's one of my favorite MM4 tracks. Wily stage 3 has too much wub-wub and the melody is just lost with all the junk going on, again, one of my favorite tracks that just falls apart. Wily 4? No loving idea what he was doing there. Even Wily Capsule isn't immune to the melody fighting with all the wacky wub-wubs in the background. It feels more Commodore SID and not Konami.

Looking back at MM2R, he blew every opportunity to enhance short tracks (the password theme is bafflingly rearranged while the stage select theme is just short, and the less said about Get Weapon the better). Without the Doc Robot levels to try something more inventive, he mixes the inventive things in with the regular tracks and sometimes it works (Air Man) and sometimes it doesn't (Flash Man), but overall the Robot Masters were OK. Nothing great, but mostly listenable. Wily Stage 1 and 2 come out pretty well, and I like the Wily stage Boss remix. But Wily 3 and 4 are, as in the original, complete wastes of time. I do believe there's something good that can be wrought out of that tune, but both his traditional (wily 3) and experimental versions (wily 4) are wastes of time. Wily 5 is the best of the three, but that's not saying much. There's just no stellar tracks except for Wily 1 and that's because he didn't deviate too much from the original. There's also no boss rush compilation, which was one of the best bits of MM3R.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
He's a one-hit wonder, made one stellar album and the rest are mediocre at best

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Captain Invictus posted:

He's a one-hit wonder, made one stellar album and the rest are mediocre at best

Yeah, that's fair.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Man, the level of dissatisfaction here about a set of fan videogame music remakes is kinda nuts.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Let's kill him.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Discendo Vox posted:

Man, the level of dissatisfaction here about a set of fan videogame music remakes is kinda nuts.
I mean, what else is there for the Mega Man fanbase to talk about?

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

who do you think Breakman really is?

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Butt Ghost posted:

Red As-hahahahaahahahahaha.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Discendo Vox posted:

It is disappointment in his potential after making a really really good Konami-style album of Megaman 3. He hit that one out of the park and then the one for 2 was staggeringly disappointing, and this one isn't great either, I know he's discussed what went wrong but seems like he didn't really learn anything. It's like some youtube guitar players who insist on putting their own poor solos in the middle of a remix, which almost always breaks the flow of the track.

Kaubocks posted:

who do you think Breakman really is?

Roll

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Butt Ghost posted:

GOLD AMIIBOOOOOOOOOOOO

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Butt Ghost posted:

Trap sprung

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

What exactly am I looking at?

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

The edgiest game.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Red As-hahahahaahahahahaha.
yeah, I do not want to talk about Red rear end

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

Yo you can parry projectiles this game is alright in my book

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Legend of Dark Witch 2 is out on 3DS, but I'm not touching it unless someone reports that it's a *lot* better than LoDW1.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Butt Ghost posted:

What exactly am I looking at?

It looks like another lovely run of the mill indie title with pixel art. I love it how the only old console people seem to remember is the NES, and even then, faux retro games almost never look or feel like actual NES games. Unless it's like, Mega Man 9 or Shovel Knight. MM9 even has sprite flicker.

I know it's hard as gently caress to the point of being practically impossible, but I really wish more people made new games for old hardware.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Mibibli's Quest is being characterized as Mega Man meets Space Funeral. An earlier version was available on itch.io, and it's had very good reviews. Youtube channels that I trust (who usually play megaman romhacks) have been raving about it. The individual stages vary wildly in design, but I think this video is fairly representative.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Feb 18, 2016

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

It's bad.

Metal Meltdown
Mar 27, 2010

Butt Ghost posted:

I don't know about anyone else in the thread, but I've kept up with 20XX. For anyone who doesn't know/recall, it's a Mega Man X/Roguelite hybrid that's in early access on steam. The devs are extremely active and have put out bi-monthly patches since I bought it months ago. The latest patches have added new items, including 4 complete suits of armor. Each piece has it's own unique power you can mix and match, such as boots that grant limited flight and a buster upgrade which adds an additional level of charge. If you get all 4 pieces of the same set, it grants a set bonus. These include stuff like becoming immune to stage hazards or powered up versions of all your special weapons.

They've also significantly upgraded the art assets and added stuff like challenge rooms and slot machines. It's still doing a good job of scratching that Mega Man X itch and it's only ten dollars.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Dr. Spitesworth posted:

According to Manami Matsumae, Kitamura left video games altogether and doesn't even keep in touch with any of the other Mega Man staff (http://www.usgamer.net/articles/manami-matsumae). I know a few people who have tried hunting him down in recent years to no avail. So this interview was a very welcome surprise.

Not sure what happened there, but it's a shame. The few games he designed were all pretty incredible and very forward-thinking.

I've heard he still talks to some of the people who made the transition from Capcom to Takeru to Mitchell - in particular Tateishi, the MM2 composer - but I really have no clue. Tateishi's working with Brave Wave now, I think, so if he has anything to share I'm sure it'll come out before long.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Discendo Vox posted:

Mibibli's Quest is being characterized as Mega Man meets Space Funeral.
Space Funeral seems like it would be far worse in a Mega Man format

Dr. Spitesworth
Dec 31, 2007
Yoink.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I've heard he still talks to some of the people who made the transition from Capcom to Takeru to Mitchell - in particular Tateishi, the MM2 composer - but I really have no clue. Tateishi's working with Brave Wave now, I think, so if he has anything to share I'm sure it'll come out before long.

Oh, that's great! I know Mohammed from Brave Wave has been really determined to get in touch with Kitamura, so if he has that connection now maybe it'll finally happen.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Discendo Vox posted:

Mibibli's Quest is being characterized as Mega Man meets Space Funeral. An earlier version was available on itch.io, and it's had very good reviews. Youtube channels that I trust (who usually play megaman romhacks) have been raving about it. The individual stages vary wildly in design, but I think this video is fairly representative.

Looks like typical indie faux-retro crap to me. It reminds me more of "I wanna be the guy" and the like than it does actual legit NES games.

CowboyAndy
Aug 7, 2012
Rushjet's Remix Album for Mega Man 4 is good and I like it.

I am excited to see him do MM5 next.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Metal Meltdown posted:

I don't know about anyone else in the thread, but I've kept up with 20XX. For anyone who doesn't know/recall, it's a Mega Man X/Roguelite hybrid that's in early access on steam. The devs are extremely active and have put out bi-monthly patches since I bought it months ago. The latest patches have added new items, including 4 complete suits of armor. Each piece has it's own unique power you can mix and match, such as boots that grant limited flight and a buster upgrade which adds an additional level of charge. If you get all 4 pieces of the same set, it grants a set bonus. These include stuff like becoming immune to stage hazards or powered up versions of all your special weapons.

They've also significantly upgraded the art assets and added stuff like challenge rooms and slot machines. It's still doing a good job of scratching that Mega Man X itch and it's only ten dollars.

I'll second this, especially since nobody else has. I'm not enamoured of the art style of the game itself and I've always had mixed feelings about roguelikes, but the devs are doing a brilliant job of actively and passionately making a better, deeper game and it feels like Mega Man in many ways. I've been disappointed by a lot of "Early Access" purchases and have for the most part avoided them in recent years, but this one I do not regret at all.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
20XX is hella fun and easily worth ten bucks if you like MMX's fast-paced and aerial gameplay.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

OTOH Legend of Dark Witch 1 is just as bad on an XL as it was on a regular.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Seconding the recommendation for 20XX. The level design feels a bit weak, but that's not terribly surprising considering it's all procedurally generated, and at least it's rare for it to totally gently caress you over. Other than that, it's a fairly good MMX game.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Where have you been all my life?
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer
After it coming up again, I played a bunch of 20XX last night, after not having played for a month or so. It's really coming along. Most importantly, it seems like they've started to be more generous with health pickups.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

X

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Gunvolt 2 gameplay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Good to see he's still at it and improved immensely. I first saw his stuff around the time he did a pretty sweet rendition of X in Gaia Armor, and boy has he made a ton more since then, in much higher quality to boot.