Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Djimi posted:

Yes that's true and I'm asking potentially knowledgeable locals to let me know of a place that would be good to go to for just that reason. That would be cool to pay maybe 5 euro for a piddly amount of electricity for an hour or so.

By dint of the fact that I'm posting on an Internet forum, yes I can use google to find a store. I also own two of those chargers already. (I have the Mark II as well). And I don't a third for an ungodly sum.

Sorry you didn't understand my post. Merci

you're welcome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

Nomenclature posted:

Ehh, the thing about having to deal with applied biomedical sciences is that you have to deal with so many disciplines that you can’t expect to always be 100% fluent in the terminology from all of them. (You will eventually need to be sure of your lexicon, but you will know which terms you need to be certain about and you will take whatever time it takes to get to that level of certainty.) Any given project might require you to have some level of working knowledge of physiology, pharmacology, microbiology, immunology, chemistry, epidemiology, physics, etc. But unless someone is a M.D. and Pharm. D. who also holds graduate degrees in microbiology, immunology, etc., we don’t respond to one inappropriately used term by discarding their entire statement and going “Even though it’s obvious what you meant, the fact that you used one word inappropriately for this field must mean that you have no idea what you’re talking about!” When people make points about topics in fields outside of their core disciplines, their ability to think about them rationally is far more important than their being 100% proficient in the jargon.

But enough of that derail.

Hey guys IMO the blacks are bad people and we should put forth a concentrated effort to eliminate them from society.

Oops, I meant to say "Neo-Nazis" instead of "blacks" but the English language has a lot of words you see, so you can't really fault me for getting one word wrong, and it's not really fair of you to make assumptions about me just because I used one word inappropriately that completely changed the message of what I was trying to communicate. Rather than re-read the loving words I'm saying and think about why other people are telling me about how wrong I am, I'll just assume they have no idea what they're talking about and waste a few hours of my life typing up poo poo because I'm lonely and I need to be perceived as the winner in a discussion on an internet forum.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
The more I go on reading about Canon, the more it seems like the market is turning against it. It seems like they are way behind and you get get similar or better equipment for the same money. I went with Canon when I started photography 6 years ago because all of my friends had Canon stuff. Borrowing lenses is pretty cheap, can you blame me? But now I'm starting to think other brands are pulling ahead in terms of technology. I think all Canon has going for it at this point are glass and CPS. Then again, I don't follow any brands as closely as I follow Canon. Is there any truth to what I think?

windex
Aug 2, 2006

One thing living in Japan does is cement the fact that ignoring the opinions of others is a perfectly valid life strategy.

um excuse me posted:

The more I go on reading about Canon, the more it seems like the market is turning against it. It seems like they are way behind and you get get similar or better equipment for the same money. I went with Canon when I started photography 6 years ago because all of my friends had Canon stuff. Borrowing lenses is pretty cheap, can you blame me? But now I'm starting to think other brands are pulling ahead in terms of technology. I think all Canon has going for it at this point are glass and CPS. Then again, I don't follow any brands as closely as I follow Canon. Is there any truth to what I think?

There is a divide between what Canon thinks and what joe photographer thinks that was revealed at the press event for the 1DX2, and that is:

Canon thinks people know how to expose their photos correctly and higher dynamic range (which has a primary application in recovery of detail in post process work) is largely not relevant to their core market segment, which should know how to deal with getting the correct exposure. They believe the existing DR offering in their product range is suitable for the human eye and have instead been focusing on sensitivity (ISO performance).

The problem is they haven't yet delivered anything down this line, except in their goddamned crazy high ISO security cameras.

I would imagine the first we will see any potential improvement will be in a new 5D, but they're locked up pretty tight on that subject. To be fair, though, the 6D has pretty stellar ISO performance relative to all FF DSLRs.

Now, to be fair: just because Canon thinks this and may or may not be right does not mean the market forces agree.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

windex posted:

There is a divide between what Canon thinks and what joe photographer thinks that was revealed at the press event for the 1DX2, and that is:

Canon thinks people know how to expose their photos correctly and higher dynamic range (which has a primary application in recovery of detail in post process work) is largely not relevant to their core market segment, which should know how to deal with getting the correct exposure. They believe the existing DR offering in their product range is suitable for the human eye and have instead been focusing on sensitivity (ISO performance).

The problem is they haven't yet delivered anything down this line, except in their goddamned crazy high ISO security cameras.

I would imagine the first we will see any potential improvement will be in a new 5D, but they're locked up pretty tight on that subject. To be fair, though, the 6D has pretty stellar ISO performance relative to all FF DSLRs.

Now, to be fair: just because Canon thinks this and may or may not be right does not mean the market forces agree.

The 1DX2 and 80D sensors both now have on-chip ADC's, and the 1DX2 at least has been shown by someone with a preprod loaner to no longer have read noise (dynamic range) issues. So not sure what you are talking about when you say Canon makes it clear with the 1DX2 that they don't care.

windex
Aug 2, 2006

One thing living in Japan does is cement the fact that ignoring the opinions of others is a perfectly valid life strategy.

timrenzi574 posted:

The 1DX2 and 80D sensors both now have on-chip ADC's, and the 1DX2 at least has been shown by someone with a preprod loaner to no longer have read noise (dynamic range) issues. So not sure what you are talking about when you say Canon makes it clear with the 1DX2 that they don't care.

Let me rephrase: It's not as high of a priority for them vs ISO performance.

They made the general statements at the 1DX2 press event, while answering questions about DR not specific to the 1DX2, they responded with the statement about being more concerned with ISO performance.

1DX2 preprods are claming to be able to push 5 stops though, which is a good 2 more than I'm comfortable with on the 5D3, and edges into Fuji/Sony territory.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Canon don't want to discuss low ISO DR improvements in too much detail because that would admit a weakness on a bunch of bodies they're still stelling. Canon's other issue is holding back features for product differentiation, especially over video features. But they're still market leaders and making profit. Plus their lens department are kicking arse at thd moment.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

Pablo Bluth posted:

Canon's other issue is holding back features for product differentiation, especially over video features.

Sometimes I think you are damned if you do, damned if you don't with that. People were complaining that the X-Pro1 was still Fuji's "flagship" even though the XT-1 was better in just about every way. There are already people cursing that the 80D will have better IQ & newer features (stills servo from DPAF, 27 f/8 points, etc) than the 7D2.

Can't win.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Hardware differences are one thing, but the refusal to include things like an inbuilt intervelometer, focus peaking, zebra stripes, GPS and wifi together do smack of protecting cashcow lines (cinema bodies) and accessories.

But most of these don't really hold people back, their camera system 'works and works dependably' and they have an unrivalled lens lineup. So they stay as #1.

windex
Aug 2, 2006

Pablo Bluth posted:

Plus their lens department are kicking arse at thd moment.

One thing I want to say re lenses...

I do have some L lenses but I really feel like Sigma is kicking butt on EF mount. Their Nikon problems seem worse than their Canon problems, and a month ago I'd of much rather had a Sigma 135 "Art" over the 135 f/2L given the quality of the "Art" series and my lack of a need for weather proofing, but, when you need something you buy what exists.

Canon tried to buy Sigma for its lens tech and Sigma resisted, so I'm not the only one impressed.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

I think Canon is pretty good when it comes to FF cameras. They're over all solid cameras will many great lenses to choose from. Sure, they could use some modern features such as touch screens and better in camera software, but over all they're a solid choice for a working professional or serious amateur.

Crop on the other hand as always been lacking, at least since the late 2010's. With FF prices dropping and mirrorless cameras from other companies offering way more attractive packages, I think the crop DSLR is doomed. Canon really needs to get their mirrorless cameras up to snuff.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Haggins posted:

I think Canon is pretty good when it comes to FF cameras. They're over all solid cameras will many great lenses to choose from. Sure, they could use some modern features such as touch screens and better in camera software, but over all they're a solid choice for a working professional or serious amateur.

Crop on the other hand as always been lacking, at least since the late 2010's. With FF prices dropping and mirrorless cameras from other companies offering way more attractive packages, I think the crop DSLR is doomed. Canon really needs to get their mirrorless cameras up to snuff.

I dunno, I think Canon have too many products, and the lack of differentiation will come back to bite them in the arse later.

xD, x0D, xx0D, xxx0D, and so on.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

EF-S is the side they've held back on; ecomonics favour spending R&D on L class EF.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!
So. The 80D.

How many buckets worth of photos can I take with it?

AND

How many of those photos can be buckets?

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Whitezombi posted:

So. The 80D.

AND

No no. You're getting confused. Once you've taken in the bucket of light, it gets transmogrified into data. And data, as we all know, is stored on the internets. Since the internet is a series of tubes, it's really a matter of the diameter of pipe that you have that you can dump that bucket of light down.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

hope this helps

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Whitezombi posted:

So. The 80D.

AND

As many buckets that you can piss in.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
how many of the piss buckets have red stripes around the rims?

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

Just give me the 5Div god dammit!

I think that is their most anticipated camera and its performance in relation to the competition will determine whether people decide to stay or jump ship to sonikon. A lot of people have said that they consider jumping ship but have an investment in L glass, but other companies realise this and are slowly catching up with their glass lineups

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

KinkyJohn posted:

Just give me the 5Div god dammit!

I wouldn't be surprised if the 5Div is just in-between the 80D and 1DXii in terms of specs.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I'll be amazed if the 5DIV is anything other than a higher megapixel version of the 1DII sensor in the 7DII body, with almost no other surprised innovated gadgets thrown in. The pixel count will be in the 30's, to separate it from 6DII which will be a 20MP FF sensor in a 70/80D body.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

I haven't ben here in a while but, what the gently caress is the wrong with canon's naming structure?

80D? ADD? what?

Also preview by Tony Northrup. I like his preview review videos, and largely convinced me to get a 70D when it came out instead of some other bullshit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPu3lInG4A8

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Soulex posted:

I haven't ben here in a while but, what the gently caress is the wrong with canon's naming structure?

80D? ADD? what?

You are looking way too far into it if you think its anything to do with ADD.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Soulex posted:

80D? ADD? what?

Also preview by Tony Northrup. I like his preview review videos, and largely convinced me to get a 70D when it came out instead of some other bullshit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPu3lInG4A8
It's still better than Kiss X# like in Japan :v:

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

You are looking way too far into it if you think its anything to do with ADD.

its just what it sounds like :shrug:

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

It's still better than Kiss X# like in Japan :v:

Wow that's gross. I still have a hard time saying 70D out loud sometimes and I loving narrate and broadcast.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Don't speak too loudly, you don't want Canon to hear and motivate them to rebrand all their lines under the assumption the boost in sales they need will come from youthful and trendy marketing.

Do you really want a hashtag on your camera body?

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

xzzy posted:

Don't speak too loudly, you don't want Canon to hear and motivate them to rebrand all their lines under the assumption the boost in sales they need will come from youthful and trendy marketing.

Just the ones I etch into it shooting hipsters getting hit by bicycles.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
How are Canon's point and shoot cameras doing? That seems more like a segment where it is important to reach a younger audience.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

Popelmon posted:

How are Canon's point and shoot cameras doing? That seems more like a segment where it is important to reach a younger audience.

They still rule what is left of that market, but what's left of that market ain't much

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

xzzy posted:

Wouldn't be any weirder than https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentax_*ist_DS

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Popelmon posted:

timrenzi574 posted:

They still rule what is left of that market, but what's left of that market ain't much

Yea, I have to suspect that the P&S market has lost it's mass market core and what remains are a lot of fringe cases (superzooms, waterproof, high end stuff, etc.) and I doubt many of those appeal to younger audiences. I think Canon is fairly popular in this range, but I don't think they are the best maker in all those areas anymore.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

What's crazy is Canon has 28 point and shoot cameras in their current lineup in 4 different categories. I really don't understand how there can be a large enough market for all of that.

Then again, Nikon has 28 different Coolpix models as well.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

It's notable that Canon haven't step from the P&S field in to the high end 'large sensor, limited zoom lens' segment. So their G7X/G9X attacks the popular RX100 line, but I'm not sure they've even attempted to play against the X70, X100, RX1R, GR II, etc

windex
Aug 2, 2006

bull3964 posted:

I really don't understand how there can be a large enough market for all of that.

I think there are two things. 1) Generation gap. 2) People not satisfied with smartphones but not educated for interchangeable lens cameras.

My parents still have a P&S which doesn't even quite make it to modern iPhone standards of image quality, but it is still the "camera" which is used for "fancy things".

I got my niece a SX410 IS, which was well regarded a year ago and is already trash now due to the release of the SX540 HS one year later, and the SX410 IS sucks, but can take better than iPhone quality photos .. outside during the day in good light.

I don't own a P&S unless you count the Nikon 1 V3 which may as well be and is used about the same way.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I still own a PowerShot SD790 IS that I bought back in 2008 to replace my S410 and I'm still surprised with the images a can get out of it. However, it hasn't seen much use over the years since I bought it right when cell phones started rising and they've long been good enough for quick photos which made me carry that tiny Canon less and less.

I had my interest in photography rekindled recently when I bought a Nikon P900 superzoom on a whim which then led to me getting an A6000.

Now I feel myself being drawn back to a higher end Point and Shoot since I'm addicted to the quality, manual control, and RAW. And I feel I may want something pocketable sometimes. I didn't like the EOS-M as a whole product, but I feel if they would adapt that with either a fixed prime or tiny fixed zoom, it could be an interesting product in that niche with the GR and the Fuji cameras.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

xzzy posted:

THis is how the came up with Rebel isn't it?

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

THis is how the came up with Rebel isn't it?

Yep.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E78OnfyQiWo

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
These days, canon and nikon are basically identical and they make exactly the same products

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.
There's a lotta things about Canon's naming conventions that you wouldn't know anything about. Things you wouldn't understand. Things you couldn't understand. Things you shouldn't understand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

feigning interest posted:

There's a lotta things about Canon's naming conventions that you wouldn't know anything about. Things you wouldn't understand. Things you couldn't understand. Things you shouldn't understand.

Things Canon doesn't understand.