Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Hogge Wild posted:

kerronko minne voit tunkea possessiivisuksiksennenesi

Seems like you are unable to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
naurahdin sille veikkulille joka pillastui siitä että jotkut lapset opetetaan käyttämään puukkoja ja pyssyjä

Fushigi Yuugi fansub
Jan 20, 2007

BUTT STUFF
nyrkillä tapettava hurri

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
You know those US National Guard planes that are coming this summer to a military exercise in Finland? Well, apparently more is to come: US armored mobiles are joining those, too. What the hell is going on? The ministry of defense run by Jussi Niinistö (TF) is tight-lipped on the issue, but Timo Soini confessed on Friday that the US basically invited themselves to the country. Who exactly is on top of this situation? Are we to expect US ground troops next?

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

just another round of SISSIKOULUTUS in SODANKYLÄ

hillo
Dec 19, 2012

by zen death robot

Rappaport posted:

Kansalaisaloite
YLE-veron lakkauttamiseksi on kerännyt jo rapiat 10 000 kannatusta. On se kumma kun ei HBO:n huippusarjat innosta :shrug:

I'd rather use my ylevero to get HBOnordic TBH, practically the same price

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Rexroom posted:

You know those US National Guard planes that are coming this summer to a military exercise in Finland? Well, apparently more is to come: US armored mobiles are joining those, too. What the hell is going on? The ministry of defense run by Jussi Niinistö (TF) is tight-lipped on the issue, but Timo Soini confessed on Friday that the US basically invited themselves to the country. Who exactly is on top of this situation? Are we to expect US ground troops next?

I am gonna critique your post here, hope you don't mind. Ok let's start

You know those US National Guard planes that are coming this summer to a military exercise in Finland? yes, good way to start. Kinda impressed. Not a lot of people talk about news matters by asking if they heard about it, but this is good.

Well, apparently more is to come: US armored mobiles are joining those, too.

ok this is not so good, but it isn't because of your posting, it is because it is bad news, possibly. Or maybe good news but no one ever hears the good news

the ministry of defense run by Jussi Niinistö (TF) is tight-lipped on the issue, but Timo Soini confessed on Friday that the US basically invited themselves to the country. Who exactly is on top of this situation? Are we to expect US ground troops next?

ok this is a bit complicated, but what it all comes down to, is that you are asking questions and not providing answers. What would make your post 42% better is to offer theories about why American forces are in Finland right now, and currently, your post offers none, which imho, is bullshit. People need to be brave enough to speak their minds like ligur, nauta, that oh guy, etc., and be able to provide some cold hard theories that are backed up with facts that you present here.

Thank you

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

BrienneGetsHanged posted:

I am gonna critique your post here, hope you don't mind. Ok let's start

You know those US National Guard planes that are coming this summer to a military exercise in Finland? yes, good way to start. Kinda impressed. Not a lot of people talk about news matters by asking if they heard about it, but this is good.

Well, apparently more is to come: US armored mobiles are joining those, too.

ok this is not so good, but it isn't because of your posting, it is because it is bad news, possibly. Or maybe good news but no one ever hears the good news

the ministry of defense run by Jussi Niinistö (TF) is tight-lipped on the issue, but Timo Soini confessed on Friday that the US basically invited themselves to the country. Who exactly is on top of this situation? Are we to expect US ground troops next?

ok this is a bit complicated, but what it all comes down to, is that you are asking questions and not providing answers. What would make your post 42% better is to offer theories about why American forces are in Finland right now, and currently, your post offers none, which imho, is bullshit. People need to be brave enough to speak their minds like ligur, nauta, that oh guy, etc., and be able to provide some cold hard theories that are backed up with facts that you present here.

Thank you

:boom:

hillo
Dec 19, 2012

by zen death robot

Rexroom posted:

It's because ww3 starts next sunday. MV-lehti told me

http://mvlehti.net/2016/02/16/alkaako-iii-maailmansota-ensi-viikon-sunnuntaina/

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
It's a bit hard to throw some theories when everyone is pretty drat hush-hush. But it wouldn't surprise me if NC were behind these developments, considering they have a raging hard-on for NATO and the US. Problem is, Jussi Niinistö is not from NC - unless he's on the same wavelength as NC warhawks.

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

1. Currently the most prevalent form of decision-making in the western world

2. While you are correct in saying that the society owns

3. You have not for a second demonstrated here why

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state
Did you guys get a visit from a couple of F-22s as well, the only true fifth generation fighter in service and the most advanced fighter ever built with no competition on the planet?

Oh sorry, I confused with another country in the region, Estonia.

:smug:

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
We should join NATO, though. Alueellisen puolustuksen lantavarpaat voi pitää päänsä kiinni ja punikeille balalaikka perseeseen & ladakyyti itärajalle. That's the only way we can be safe from the growing aggression of Russia. If they're going bankrupt, do you think they'll suffer a second collapse of Soviet Union quietly?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

OhYeah posted:

Did you guys get a visit from a couple of F-22s as well, the only true fifth generation fighter in service and the most advanced fighter ever built with no competition on the planet?

:smug:

I'm a 18th generation fighter.

Fushigi Yuugi fansub
Jan 20, 2007

BUTT STUFF
brienne kannattaa käydä lääkärillä tyhjentämässä hiekat pillusta

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

Hob_Gadling posted:

We should join NATO, though. Alueellisen puolustuksen lantavarpaat voi pitää päänsä kiinni ja punikeille balalaikka perseeseen & ladakyyti itärajalle. That's the only way we can be safe from the growing aggression of Russia. If they're going bankrupt, do you think they'll suffer a second collapse of Soviet Union quietly?

voitais ainakin napata viipuri takasin kaaoksessa

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Triple A posted:

Give Helsinki and environs to Karelian Republic.

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

Jerry Cotton posted:

I'm a 18th generation fighter.

lol if you don't trace your fighting ancestry from genghis khan

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Herman Merman posted:

lol if you don't trace your fighting ancestry from genghis khan

From my father's side my great great grandaunt stopped funding the family tree when they reached Hungarian horse thieves that were deported to Finland but I can feel it in my bones and slanty eyes.

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

OhYeah posted:

~uguuu, senpai usa noticed us~

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Herman Merman posted:

~uguuu, senpai usa noticed us~

Voi vitun animunörtti

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Triple A posted:

Sadly it's not worth anything anymore. We have too much lande already adding bits of Russia is moving in the wrong direction. Consolidate, optimize and plan for a Finland only inhabited along the main train routes.

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures

Ligur posted:

Voi vitun animunörtti

doverhog posted:

Sadly it's not worth anything anymore. We have too much lande already adding bits of Russia is moving in the wrong direction. Consolidate, optimize and plan for a Finland only inhabited along the main train routes.

There's pieces of Russia next to our border that would be worth annexing for reasons beyond lebensraum. Tho they all have pretty massive downside that they come with lots of russians, even if we assume that Russia just breaks into tiny pieces and the army just vanishes.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Hob_Gadling posted:

So let me get this straight here: Russia is going to collapse again, but this time they'll a) be able to and b) be crazy enough to start a loving war with us of all people, while also being bankrupt and in the middle of falling the gently caress apart. Therefore we need to join NATO.

Maybe it's just me, but something about this doesn't exactly seem convincing.

Rexroom posted:

Maybe the government figured that this will play well with people who check that htere are no ryssät beneath their bed before going to sleep? Judging by this here thread, they might even be right about something for the first time.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Vitut Karjalasta, käsivarsi takaisin perkele

Jäämeribisnekset!

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011

Rappaport posted:

Jäämeribisnekset!

It is not for our kind to travel the seas.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Rappaport posted:

Jäämeribisnekset!

juuri niin!

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Cerebral Bore posted:

So let me get this straight here: Russia is going to collapse again, but this time they'll a) be able to and b) be crazy enough to start a loving war with us of all people, while also being bankrupt and in the middle of falling the gently caress apart. Therefore we need to join NATO.

Russia is going bankrupt due to oil prices going down and otherwise terribly managed economy. Surely we agree on that?

It is a nation lead by a man who is not afraid to use indirect and direct force against its neighbors to protect their interests. They also have, several times in the past 20 years. Bronze soldier, Ukraine, Syria, to name a few. They also have openly stated that restoration of the military forces is a high priority and deserves a large slice of their budget. In addition to direct force, they control indirect means of influence such as Russia Times.

Is it unreasonable to think this man might believe that going down fighting is preferable to just breaking apart in another bankruptcy? And that the fighting might, in fact, keep the nation together and prevent the disaster in the first place? I think not.

Hob_Gadling fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Feb 18, 2016

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
History and the slightest bit of critical thinking tells us that bankrupt countries don't tend to start costly wars for no reason on account of having more important poo poo to deal with.

Your scenario basically hinges on Putin et. al. sitting down and realizing that they don't have no money and then concluding that the best course of action here is to start another war that will bleed even more money and for what gain? Even if we assume that it's some harebrained "let's unite the country with a good ol' war" thingy, they've got two of those going on already with no end in sight. Even if you're the kind of guy that actually checks under his bed for Spetsnaz infiltrators, it should be easy to see that Russia is so in the hole that it lacks the means to start poo poo with us, NATO or no.

Cerebral Bore fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Feb 19, 2016

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Cerebral Bore posted:

Your scenario basically hinges on Putin et. al. sitting down and realizing that they don't have no money and then concluding that the best course of action here is to start another war that will bleed even more money and for what gain?

This is all good and logical thinking, and I'd agree if he hadn't done it twice already. The costs of going into Ukraine and Syria surpass any potential gains that can be had in either area. And yet, here we are.

Besides, it doesn't need to be a direct war. Indirect pressure (aircraft crossing borders, threatening to open borders for refugees) can act as a stick very well. There is a clear carrot for Russia which is worth applying some pressure: restoration and normalization of trade with EU. If Finland gets pressured a little, maybe we'll fold and start demanding the end of trade sanctions against Russia (or just start trading unilaterally despite protests from EU)? It'd benefit us a lot, it'd benefit them a lot. Makes sense to me.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Hob_Gadling posted:

This is all good and logical thinking, and I'd agree if he hadn't done it twice already. The costs of going into Ukraine and Syria surpass any potential gains that can be had in either area. And yet, here we are.

Yeah, because Russia, as we know, has endless resources and can keep starting new wars ad infinitum. Furthermore it is only the mystical power of NATO that can stop Russia from its endless march of conquest, economics and logistics be damned. Seriously dude, from one post to the next you've started to completely deny the direct logical consequences of your own assertion that Russia is hosed economically. Maybe you should rethink your argument when it starts contradicting its own premises this blatantly.

Hob_Gadling posted:

Besides, it doesn't need to be a direct war. Indirect pressure (aircraft crossing borders, threatening to open borders for refugees) can act as a stick very well. There is a clear carrot for Russia which is worth applying some pressure: restoration and normalization of trade with EU. If Finland gets pressured a little, maybe we'll fold and start demanding the end of trade sanctions against Russia (or just start trading unilaterally despite protests from EU)? It'd benefit us a lot, it'd benefit them a lot. Makes sense to me.

And being in NATO would help us with indirect pressure, how exactly? I don't think you can invoke Article 5 because the other country threatens to allow transit for refugees.

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011

Cerebral Bore posted:

History and the slightest bit of critical thinking tells us that bankrupt countries don't tend to start costly wars for no reason on account of having more important poo poo to deal with.

:godwin:

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

Rappaport posted:

"Ja sitten me ryypättiin"

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

1. Currently the most prevalent form of decision-making in the western world

2. While you are correct in saying that the society owns

3. You have not for a second demonstrated here why

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...gement-get.html

If that turns out to be true... Then the Swedes would've outdone themselves yet again.

quote:

Having a theatre sounds really nice. Those who are going to stay at the ship will probably have to do that for quite a bit of time while their applications are being processed. So they need every encouragement they can get.

Where do I have to go to get some of that encouragement, because it sounds awesome.

OhYeah fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Feb 19, 2016

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

OhYeah posted:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...gement-get.html

If that turns out to be true... Then the Swedes would've outdone themselves yet again.

Where do I have to go to get some of that encouragement, because it sounds awesome.

You remember when I made fun of you for being a credulous moron WRT trash tabloids and the like? Because you're doing it again.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Rappaport posted:

Jäämeribisnekset!

There's oil in them thar fjords!

Fushigi Yuugi fansub
Jan 20, 2007

BUTT STUFF

Cerebral Bore posted:

Yeah, because Russia, as we know, has endless resources and can keep starting new wars ad infinitum. Furthermore it is only the mystical power of NATO that can stop Russia from its endless march of conquest, economics and logistics be damned. Seriously dude, from one post to the next you've started to completely deny the direct logical consequences of your own assertion that Russia is hosed economically. Maybe you should rethink your argument when it starts contradicting its own premises this blatantly.

And being in NATO would help us with indirect pressure, how exactly? I don't think you can invoke Article 5 because the other country threatens to allow transit for refugees.

venäjällä on omasta takaa öljyä, maakaasua, metalleja ja aseteollisuutta, joita tarvitaan sotimiseen. venäjä ei tässä suhteessa ole ulkomaista riippuvainen niin kuin esim. suomi. putin on tehnyt viime vuosina lähes 1:1 samanlaisia siirtoja kuin :godwin: 1930-luvulla. myös silloin ajateltiin, ettei saksalla ole varaa sotia ja se luhistuu ennen pitkää omaan köyhyyteensä.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

Nauta posted:

myös silloin ajateltiin, ettei saksalla ole varaa sotia ja se luhistuu ennen pitkää omaan köyhyyteensä.

Joo tota...

Fushigi Yuugi fansub
Jan 20, 2007

BUTT STUFF
niin?

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
Niin että tuota niinhän siinä kävikin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fushigi Yuugi fansub
Jan 20, 2007

BUTT STUFF
ei vittu mitä hiusten halkomista. puhuin nyt 30-luvun tilanteesta. brittien pääministeri chamberlain ei lähtenyt 1939 sotimaan puolan puolesta, vaikka niin oli luvattu, sillä chamberlain ajatteli, että saksa voitetaan taloudellisella sodankäynnillä eikä saksa kykene pitkään sotaan. puola, ranska ja puolet venäjästä kaatui kuitenkin melko vaivattomasti ja noin käytännön sodankäynnin kannalta homma sujui hyvin, kunnes hitler alkoi vaatia strategisesti hölmöjä ratkasuja kenraaleilta. vasta jenkkien liityttyä sotaan 1944 alkoi varsinainen alamäki.

Fushigi Yuugi fansub fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Feb 19, 2016