Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
PAL update (week of February 18):

quote:

WII U RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Lego Marvel Avengers (demo)
WII U SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Bombing Bastards (Wii U eShop) - €4.99 / £4.49 until February 25
    Teslagrad (Wii U eShop) - €7.49 / £6.99 until February 25
    Chariot (Wii U eShop) - €7.49 / £6.74 until February 25
    Tengami (Wii U eShop) - €3.99 / £3.49 until February 25
    Race the Sun (Wii U eShop) - €4.99 / £3.49 until February 25
    Chasing Aurora (Wii U eShop) - €3.49 / £2.99 until February 25
    Turtle Tale (Wii U eShop) - €2.99 / £2.49 until February 25
    ZaciSa: Defense of the Crayon Dimension! (Wii U eShop) - €1.49 / £1.14 until February 25
    Block Drop x Twisted Fusion (Wii U eShop) - €1.49 / £1.34 until February 25
    Adventure Time: Finn & Jake Investigations (Wii U) - €19.99 / £15.99 until February 27
    Trine Enchanted Edition (Wii U eShop) - €6.49 / £5.49 until March 10
    Trine 2 Directors Cut (Wii U eShop) - €8.49 / £6.99 until March 10

3DS RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon (February 19) - €39.99 / £34.99, includes free theme until April 14
3DS eSHOP DOWNLOADS
    Return to PopoloCrois: A Story of Seasons Fairytale - €34.99 / £29.99
3DS ADD-ON CONTENT
    Etrian Odyssey Untold 2: The Fafnir Knight Add-On Content (February 19)
  • Ultimate Feathered Warrior - free until February 25, standard price €2.49 / £2.29
  • Winter's Harbinger! - free until February 25, standard price €0.99 / £0.89
  • Wanted: Lucky Bud - €1.99 / £1.79
3DS MENU THEMES (February 19)
    Pokemon: Champion Steven - €1.99 / £1.79
    Sega Dreamcast - €1.79 / £1.59
    Sega Saturn - €1.79 / £1.59
    Hi-Tech Sega - €1.79 / £1.59
3DS SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Retro City Rampage DX (3DS eShop) - €5.99 / £5.48 until February 25
    Shin Megami Tensei 4 (3DS eShop) - €9.99 / £8.99 until February 25
    Super Street Fighter 4 3D (3DS eShop) - €8.00 / £7.20 until February 25
    Heart Beaten (3DS eShop) - €2.33 / £2.00 or €1.09 / £1.00 if you own Space Lift Danger Panic until February 27
    Space Lift Danger Panic (3DS eShop) - €2.33 / £2.00 or €1.09 / £1.00 if you own Heart Beaten until February 27
    Adventure Time: Finn & Jake Investigations (3DS eShop) - €19.99 / £15.99 until February 27
    Petit Novel series - Harvest December (3DS eShop) - €7.99 / £6.39 until March 3
    Aeternoblade (3DS eShop) - €7.99 / £7.19 until March 3
    Demon King Box (3DS eShop) - €2.99 / £2.39 until March 3

NA update (week of February 18):

quote:

WII U RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Bayonetta 2 - $29.99 (February 19, permanent price reduction)
WII U eSHOP DOWNLOADS
    Tap Tap Arcade - $1.99
    Vector Assault (demo)
WII U VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Double Dragon 3 (NES) - $4.99
    Ninja Gaiden 2 (NES) - $4.99
    Ninja Gaiden 3 (NES) - $4.99
WII U SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Girls Like Robots (Wii U eShop) - $4.99 until February 20
    Citizens of Earth (Wii U eShop) - $4.99 until February 22
    Teslagrad (Wii U eShop) - $7.49 until February 25
    Chariot (Wii U eShop) - $7.49 until February 25
    Tengami (Wii U eShop) - $4.99 until February 25
    Race the Sun (Wii U eShop) - €4.99 / £3.49 until February 25
    Chasing Aurora (Wii U eShop) - $3.99 until February 25
    psyscrolr (Wii U eShop) - $1.99 until February 25
    Sportsball (Wii U eShop) - $4.99 until February 25
    PING 1.5+ (Wii U eShop) - $2.49 until February 25
    Turtle Tale (Wii U eShop) - $1.50 until February 25
    ZaciSa's Last Stand (Wii U eShop) - $1.99 until February 25
    Block Drop x Twisted Fusion (Wii U eShop) - $1.49 until February 25
    Trine 2 Directors' Cut (Wii U eShop) - "on sale" until March 3
    Trine Enchanted Edition (Wii U eShop) - "on sale" until March 3
    Nano Assault Neo (Wii U eShop) - $7.49 until March 3

3DS RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright (February 19) - standalone price $39.99, add-on price $19.99
    Fire Emblem Fates: Conquest (February 19) - standalone price $39.99, add-on price $19.99
    Project X Zone 2 - $39.99
3DS eSHOP DOWNLOADS
    Musicverse: Electronic Keyboard - $7.99
3DS ADD-ON CONTENT
    Fire Emblem Fates - Before Awakening (February 19) - free! (difficulty *)
    Fire Emblem Fates - Map Pack 1 (February 19) - $17.99, covers 11 additional maps released weekly from February 25
3DS SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Legend of Legacy (3DS) - $29.99 until February 22
    Citizens of Earth (3DS eShop) - $4.99 until February 22
    Shin Megami Tensei 4 (3DS eShop) - $14.99 until February 22
    Shin Megami Tensei Devil Survivor Overclocked (3DS eShop) - $9.99 until February 29

NOA seems to have skipped the eShop PR in favour of plugging Fire Emblem some more so there are probably sales and other things missing from the NA listing, I'll update it later.

tl;dr on the Fire Emblem thing for those who still don't know: each game is a unique experience with its own systems and characters; buy whichever version sounds more appealing to you and then download the other version for half price from within the game. There's a thread somewhere, go ask people things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Any clue if the reduced Bayonetta 2 price still gives you an additionally discounted copy of Bayonetta 1? I mean I already own the game, just curious how that works.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

The discount would get you both games for $60, so I kinda doubt that you'd still get a discount for Bayo1 because both games are now $60 total.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
The issue with the NNID comes up when you have kids. If I buy 2 PS3's (one for the living room and one for a kid's room), I can buy a game on one and have it on both. I can't do that with Wii U or 3DS. If you have a 3DS and 2 kids with 3DSs as well, you have to buy a digital game 3 times for the family to have it on their 3DS.

No other company does this, and with the generation that has stuck by Nintendo for 30 years finally having kids, it's bullshit to shell out that kinda cash when no other company makes you do that.

Edit: In fact, on a PS3, not only can I have the same game on 2 consoles, but I can give the kid his/her own PSN account and they can still play the game I bought on my account.

Fremry fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Feb 18, 2016

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Fremry posted:

The issue with the NNID comes up when you have kids. If I buy 2 PS3's (one for the living room and one for a kid's room), I can buy a game on one and have it on both. I can't do that with Wii U or 3DS. If you have a 3DS and 2 kids with 3DSs as well, you have to buy a digital game 3 times for the family to have it on their 3DS.

No other company does this, and with the generation that has stuck by Nintendo for 30 years finally having kids, it's bullshit to shell out that kinda cash when no other company makes you do that.

Edit: In fact, on a PS3, not only can I have the same game on 2 consoles, but I can give the kid his/her own PSN account and they can still play the game I bought on my account.

I'm getting a 2DS so I have something to play on a long commute to work. My "main" n3DSXL is a fancy special edition I leave at home and it'd be bloody useful if I could share the account and digital games between them.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Fremry posted:

Nintendo treats their digital games like physical games sans cartridge. With a physical cart, you'd have to buy one copy for every person in the household you want to be able to play the game simultaneously. If you don't care about simultaneous play, then one copy (physical or digital) will suffice, as the cartridge or system can be shared between multiple people in turn.

Do other companies offer more convenience features on top of that? Sure. But that does not mean Nintendo is bad, they're just coming at it from a different angle.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I'm slightly disappointed that NOA didn't drop the Wii Fire Emblem to coincide with the release of Fates. I hope NOE do if/when Fates is released here. :v:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

irlZaphod posted:

I'm slightly disappointed that NOA didn't drop the Wii Fire Emblem to coincide with the release of Fates. I hope NOE do if/when Fates is released here. :v:

Oh that would be neat, it's the only localised FE I haven't played and physical discs are mad expensive

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

oh my god jivjov

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Kaubocks posted:

oh my god jivjov

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

irlZaphod posted:

That game has the problem of being a direct sequel to the gamecube one.

The answer clearly is to release gamecube games on VC.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Kaubocks posted:

oh my god jivjov

He's right.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I had to share games with my sister and it both taught us the powerful lesson of sharing and led to some bad blood RE: decisions made in our shared Pokemon file.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Seriously though; why should a company be expected to have their digital games offer inherent benefits (other than not having to keep track of a cartridge) over physical ones?

It's cool that other companies let you share games between profiles or whatever; but that's a conveyance feature over and above the base functionality of playing the game.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Shine on, jivjov ghost :shobon:

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

jivjov posted:

Seriously though; why should a company be expected to have their digital games offer inherent benefits (other than not having to keep track of a cartridge) over physical ones?

I can bring over the game disc to a friend's house, but if I want to play one of my digital purchases I'd have to bring the entire console. It's not as convenient as physical in all use cases.

The company should push people to buy digital with convenience features because it starves the secondary market, meaning less money in retailer's coffers and more money for Nintendo.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

But physical copies let you do this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWSIFh8ICaA
See they even put a disclaimer about that on the bottom and everything

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Citizens of earth is definitely worth $5. Basically you play as the character from colbert report who is the vice president of the world. He stumbles across a plan to take over the world and get forced to save the world. The writing has its charm but no where near the charm of the actual Steve Colbert. It also does a good job of making each citizen feel different than all the others, which is impressive considering how many there are. And the game is actually pretty long, you are looking at 20-30 hours.

However the game is very buggy. I accidentally sequence broke the game by entering the final area on foot instead of trying to enter with a car. And the vr training is useless in the 3ds version.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

jivjov posted:

It's cool that other companies let you share games between profiles or whatever; but that's a conveyance feature over and above the base functionality of playing the game.

I mean, they can do whatever they want. Ubisoft can continue to pump out Assassin's Creed titles that are half finished every year. Smart companies get with the times and create products that meet consumer's expectations.

What you are saying every time this topic comes up is a technical bullet by bullet response when the issue that the person is bringing up is consumer expectations.

They expect a company specializing in modern technology to have a digital distribution and account system that is on par with all other companies that specialize in modern technology. The fact that Nintendo doesn't is a mark against Nintendo, not the consumers that expect a comparable experience on their products.

Valve started this when they released Steam around the same time as the Gamecube. People expect Nintendo to have gotten on board with this business model 12 years and 2 consoles later.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

jivjov posted:

Nintendo treats their digital games like physical games sans cartridge. With a physical cart, you'd have to buy one copy for every person in the household you want to be able to play the game simultaneously. If you don't care about simultaneous play, then one copy (physical or digital) will suffice, as the cartridge or system can be shared between multiple people in turn.

Do other companies offer more convenience features on top of that? Sure. But that does not mean Nintendo is bad, they're just coming at it from a different angle.

Dear jivjov,

I'm a UX professional and, yes, this does mean it is bad.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

In Training posted:

I had to share games with my sister and it both taught us the powerful lesson of sharing and led to some bad blood RE: decisions made in our shared Pokemon file.

My brother deleted my save file and replaced it with one named "Fartface". :argh:

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

While Jivjov can be very dense at times when defending Nintendo's policies, I respect his passion and will defend his right to be dense.

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

The consumer has every right to not like or want a product if it doesnt work in a way that meets their needs. Nintendo CAN treat their digital poo poo like garbage as they do now, and they are within their "rights" or whatever, but that in no way means any consumer has to like it, much less actively defend the lovely things they do. Nintendos online services are total butt compared to other game platforms and the rest of the digital world in general. Whether or not their services are fine in a vacuum does not matter one bit to a consumer who does not live in that vacuum.

I think the big thing is that its possible to like something while still being critical of it. I like my WiiU and...well I like the games on my 3DS even if the hardware is what it is. I also think they have massive flaws and issues, ESPECIALLY the goddamned UI which is almost criminal in this day and age. Ive had my WiiU for less than a year and if the NX fixes all the UI and digital software management stuff and has WiiU backwards compatibility I would probably upgrade right away. Not holding my breath but there is nothing wrong with wanting things to be better.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Zat posted:

two Wii U's

Also known as a Wii W

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

less laughter posted:

Also known as a Wii W

Don't give Nintendo's console naming department any ideas

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Truspeaker posted:

The consumer has every right to not like or want a product if it doesnt work in a way that meets their needs. Nintendo CAN treat their digital poo poo like garbage as they do now, and they are within their "rights" or whatever, but that in no way means any consumer has to like it, much less actively defend the lovely things they do. Nintendos online services are total butt compared to other game platforms and the rest of the digital world in general. Whether or not their services are fine in a vacuum does not matter one bit to a consumer who does not live in that vacuum.

Here's more of the insane hyperbole again. This is the stuff I speak out against. Nintendo's online features aren't identical to Xbox or Playstation or Steam. This does not make them "garbage" or "butt". They're different in scope. Your digital purchases are secured by an account system, that's the key function, and that works exactly as it needs to.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

jivjov posted:

Here's more of the insane hyperbole again. This is the stuff I speak out against. Nintendo's online features aren't identical to Xbox or Playstation or Steam. This does not make them "garbage" or "butt". They're different in scope. Your digital purchases are secured by an account system, that's the key function, and that works exactly as it needs to.

Guys, it doesn't suck! Sure, they have the fewest features and conveniences of their competitors, but it would be wrong to say that it sucks! You can certainly download games!

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

jivjov posted:

This is an industry where the worth of one thing is measured by their features compared to what the competition offers. Yes, Nintendo's offerings are perfectly fine in a vacuum, but you really have to look at what the competition does to really gauge their worth. If you look at things in a vacuum, of course it's going to look good because that's the only thing you're looking at. Let's look at two TVs of comparable sizes but different features that are priced exactly the same, for example. If they're priced the same, then the decision on which model to buy comes down purely to which one has better features. If model A boasts the exact same features of model B, but also does more, I'm more inclined to want to buy model A. Model B can work perfectly fine and is a respectable model in a vacuum, but model A standing right next to it makes it look worse in comparison.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Dr Cheeto posted:

Guys, it doesn't suck! Sure, they have the fewest features and conveniences of their competitors, but it would be wrong to say that it sucks! You can certainly download games!

Exactly! Thank you.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Dr Cheeto posted:

I'm with JivJovJuice on this one. It takes a lot for something to "suck" in my opinion and at the end of the day, You can pay for, download, and play games digitally with little hassle. Most importantly their poo poo works. Look at PSN after Christmas and their buggy lovely store.

Now that doesn't mean there is no room for improvement and they should work to add the features that gamers want. But their product doesn't suck.

Cartoon Man fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Feb 18, 2016

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

I disagree, I believe Nintendos online service is in fact both garbage AND butt, and I stand by that belief, because I've used it. In this case "Different in scope" while technically true actually directly means "worse than all of their competitors"

Also its real weird treating Nintendo like its a person that is being picked on. Nintendo is a company. It makes and continues to make mistakes. Nintendo being criticized for the things it doesn't do well isn't going to hurt any ones feelings.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

How many times does this exact conversation need to happen

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Help Im Alive posted:

once per day, at least. This the task that Zeus has cursed jivjov to repeat until the heat death of the universe.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Help Im Alive posted:

Until everyone gets the autistic guy to admit he's wrong and they've been right all along

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Cartoon Man posted:

I'm with JivJovJuice on this one. It takes a lot for something to "suck" in my opinion and at the end of the day, You can pay for, download, and play games digitally with little hassle. Most importantly their poo poo works. Look at PSN after Christmas and their buggy lovely store.

Now that doesn't mean there is no room for improvement and they should work to add the features that gamers want. But their product doesn't suck.

Exactly this.

I am by no means saying that Nintendo's online implementation is the pinnacle of the field and cannot have anything added to it, not by a long shot. I would welcome and enjoy all sorts of additions and changes.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

I have a dream that one day a nintendo thread will not crawl up its own rear end in a top hat every time Jivjov says something

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Are cloud saves going to be a thing for Wii U and 3DS or is that presumably NX only? Have Nintendo even said anything about it since that presentation?

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

SeANMcBAY posted:

Are cloud saves going to be a thing for Wii U and 3DS or is that presumably NX only? Have Nintendo even said anything about it since that presentation?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gameplay_of_Pok%E9mon#Pok.C3.A9mon_Bank

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
To talk about something that isn't this poo poo:

Any of the games in the Nindies Love You sale worth a drat? I'm in Europe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Color Printer posted:

I have a dream that one day a nintendo thread will not crawl up its own rear end in a top hat every time Jivjov says something

It's jivjov's world, we just play in it.