Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

MiddleEastBeast posted:

Presumably, his friends are humans and not robots, so I would wager they would naturally understand what he's getting at by asking 'what do your decks cost', rather than invite their brand-new-to-the-game friend over as they start dropping revised duals against his 80-card vampire tribal deck. Presumably they also enjoy his company, and aren't out to mislead him into running his casual junk up against tuned eternal lists. If they are, it's a warning sign that his friends are just dickheads lol

Psh who uses revised duals :homebrew:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorOozy
Jun 22, 2013

Like you get in packing paper?

Tusen Takk posted:

Holy loving poo poo, well that solves that

I think I'll stick with Hearthstone.

Just buy a couple of intro decks, you can play with your mates. Hearthstone is somewhat limited in complexity compared to magic and you will enjoy it. Also if your mates play commander then that is a simple $30 buy in with the latest pre-built decks wizards released. All the above discussion of deck prices were regarding competitive formats that are basically as expensive as you can make it.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
So as a newcomer to Magic, is there any reason not to jump on EMA when it's available for preorder for the chance to start on a Vintage deck? I know we don't actually have a setlist for it yet, but if I skip out on a booster box (or whatever the release of it looks like) for it, will I be kicking myself if I try to get into the eternal formats after the fact?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

MiddleEastBeast posted:

Presumably, his friends are humans and not robots, so I would wager they would naturally understand what he's getting at by asking 'what do your decks cost', rather than invite their brand-new-to-the-game friend over as they start dropping revised duals against his 80-card vampire tribal deck. Presumably they also enjoy his company, and aren't out to mislead him into running his casual junk up against tuned eternal lists. If they are, it's a warning sign that his friends are just dickheads lol

I mean yes it sounds silly when you put it that way but I think you underestimate how big a misconception people can have about the financial burden of getting into the game at a given level, or how lovely nerds can be (unwittingly) while trying to get someone into their game.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Soul Glo posted:

So as a newcomer to Magic, is there any reason not to jump on EMA when it's available for preorder for the chance to start on a Vintage deck? I know we don't actually have a setlist for it yet, but if I skip out on a booster box (or whatever the release of it looks like) for it, will I be kicking myself if I try to get into the eternal formats after the fact?

Don't bother getting EMA unless you're drafting it, and you won't be anywhere close to Vintage anyway since there's no possible chance of there being enough valuable cards in EMA to come close to the price of one piece of Power.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Soul Glo posted:

If you want to spend the $10ish K for the other cards in a vintage deck, go for it. But it'll still be cheaper to buy the cards individually than to buy a box.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Do it, but pro-tip: keep the foil force of will you open. That'll be worth a college education for your kids.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
right now we are in a uniquely lovely standard for budget decks where even the all in combat tricks and red creatures deck costs like 300 bucks

wait a while and maybe just draft

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

DoctorOozy posted:

Just buy a couple of intro decks, you can play with your mates. Hearthstone is somewhat limited in complexity compared to magic and you will enjoy it. Also if your mates play commander then that is a simple $30 buy in with the latest pre-built decks wizards released. All the above discussion of deck prices were regarding competitive formats that are basically as expensive as you can make it.
This is definitely something I'll look into because I'd love to give it the old college try :3:

JerryLee posted:

even looking at the full-size picture, I think I would bat an eye at none of those if they got tossed on the table across from me in a game or even if I was scanning through a sleeved deck.

While this is good advice in spirit, I would amend the specific instruction to "ask them how much it would cost you to play like they do." Like I could say that the Tropical Island in my EDH deck cost me $8, and I wouldn't be lying (and that wouldn't be my way of saying it was a fake, because it's not) but it wouldn't be remotely useful for someone trying to buy a comparable sort of card in 2016.

If they can't tell you or they mislead you (intentionally or otherwise) then that's a warning sign.

Yeah they've been playing since like 199X and are super into it so I a)didn't want to ask them because they are kind of outliers, though in retrospect much of the thread is and b) I don't like to talk about money with friends

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
heroic was a loving GREAT draft creatures and combat tricks budget deck, i miss it

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Soul Glo posted:

Vintage isn't a format anyone actually plays in paper. Legacy is Vintage with a ban list, and it's more played, but still lags way way behind Standard and Modern in popularity.

EMA will be super expensive (the packs have MSRP of $10 rather than the normal $4, retailers will probably mark them up, and the boxes only have 24 packs instead of 32.) and hard to say if it will be worth it at all. It will probably have some modern staples in the set, but to actually play legacy you need cards that won't be in Eternal Masters, specifically the original dual lands. And you might not even want to play Legacy anyway. Depending where you live it can be rare to even actually have legacy tournaments fire at all.

Legacy is the most expensive Magic format that actually has any kind of player base, but it's really not the place to start. The price to buy into it is huge, it's not newbie friendly, and you don't want to spend a ton on a deck and find out you don't like it.

With ANY set, just buying a booster box and opening it is a losing proposition unless you get really lucky. Sets like Modern Masters and Eternal Masters will have a few super expensive rares, so if you get really lucky and open a foil Wasteland or something you'll have made back the price of the box, but you're more likely to open a bunch of $1 rares and a few $10 - $15 dollar ones and maybe a $50 one and still not have broken even on what you paid for the box.

At best you're paying more than $200 for a box (probably closer to $250) and that gets you 24 shots at a money card and it is very very possible to whiff and only open like $50-$100 worth of cards. And that's even going by sell prices rather than actual buylist prices.

Do not expect to buy a box of Eternal masters and be able to build a legacy deck from it. It doesn't work that way.

Anyway, boosters are for drafting.

Draft is a super fun way to play magic and I recommend anyone who's getting into the game consider learning how to do it, but sets like EMA are probably not where you want to start. It will cost a ton to draft it and will probably not be a good intro draft set for new players.

Entropic fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Feb 18, 2016

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Thanks for the advice.

Will be steering clear of EMA then! Still cool as a release though.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Soul Glo posted:

Yes because the reserved list still exists and everything you'll need that's on it is going to triple in price over the next few months.

DoctorOozy
Jun 22, 2013

Like you get in packing paper?

UberJew posted:

heroic was a loving GREAT draft creatures and combat tricks budget deck, i miss it

god yea.. I had my best event performance at the Manchester Theros block constructed GP with that deck, then hammered it for that standard period. It was my first propper constructed deck and cost, well nothing.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

Entropic posted:

Vintage isn't a format anyone actually plays in paper.

Uhhhh. I know what you're trying to say but this is entirely dependent on region. There's a pretty healthy vintage community here on the east coast.

Everything else you said is correct, though. Don't buy EMA hoping to get into legacy or vintage. That's just not feasible.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
People seem to think EMA will trigger a huge surge in the popularity of Legacy but I have my doubts as to whether that will actually happen or last if it does. There's still huge barriers to entry to actually having a good Legacy deck. EMA is hardly going to make a dent in the cost of Legacy, and the cost is way more of a barrier than people not being aware of the format.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Cernunnos posted:

Yes because the reserved list still exists and everything you'll need that's on it is going to triple in price over the next few months.

Even if the reserve list were gone legacy decks prices would still stay the same if not increase.

The reserve list is a hard cap on potential supply of some cards for sure but just look at modern deck prices to see how little potential supply actually affects entry price into the format - relative supply vs demand is enough to drive prices to unreasonable levels.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
They released the print run details for vintage masters and I think its smaller than mm15.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Pussy Snorkel posted:

Uhhhh. I know what you're trying to say but this is entirely dependent on region. There's a pretty healthy vintage community here on the east coast.

Everything else you said is correct, though. Don't buy EMA hoping to get into legacy or vintage. That's just not feasible.

A healthy vintage community is how many people? A few dozen, maaaybe a couple hundred in one or two large metro areas? A couple big tournaments a year that all the hardcore old vintage players travel for? Compared to tens of thousands of people playing Standard and standard FNMs firing every week in hundreds of cities, and Standard GPs all over the place hitting four-figure attendance as a matter of routine.

For all intents and purposes, to a new player, paper Vintage might as well not exist.

Yes there are people who drink $10,000-a-bottle vintage champagne but it's not exactly relevant for someone asking about getting into wine-tasting.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

JerryLee posted:

I mean yes it sounds silly when you put it that way but I think you underestimate how big a misconception people can have about the financial burden of getting into the game at a given level, or how lovely nerds can be (unwittingly) while trying to get someone into their game.

This is definitely true when discussing getting into vintage or legacy. People are like "Sure, the formats expensive, but I patiently put my deck together over time, trading for what I needed, etc. It can be done!" Then you find out they've been drafting 3 times a week since 1997.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Entropic posted:

A healthy vintage community is how many people? A few dozen, maaaybe a couple hundred in one or two large metro areas? A couple big tournaments a year that all the hardcore old vintage players travel for? Compared to tens of thousands of people playing Standard and standard FNMs firing every week in hundreds of cities, and Standard GPs all over the place hitting four-figure attendance as a matter of routine.

For all intents and purposes, to a new player, paper Vintage might as well not exist.

Yes there are people who drink $10,000-a-bottle vintage champagne but it's not exactly relevant for someone asking about getting into wine-tasting.
As I recall he lives in the baltimore area. I've been to places while a vintage event is taking place and there's like the same 6 people who go. It's not that big. I've been to ones up in NYC too. Same deal.

Entropic posted:

People seem to think EMA will trigger a huge surge in the popularity of Legacy but I have my doubts as to whether that will actually happen or last if it does. There's still huge barriers to entry to actually having a good Legacy deck. EMA is hardly going to make a dent in the cost of Legacy, and the cost is way more of a barrier than people not being aware of the format.
It'll bump up prices which is all anyone who has an ~investment in it really cares about. It's actually a great time to dump all legacy stuff so you can get out before the format finishes dying.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Entropic posted:

I think it will have a minor effect. Modern Masters didn't have huge print runs and still motivated players to move into the format, I think EMA will do the same just in smaller numbers. You're going to get players who suddenly get a playset of Force of Will suddenly go "I guess I could pick up the pieces for something"

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Entropic posted:

This is probably the best analogy for the intent of my question. EMA's not what I thought/hoped it would be (but that's fine though).

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Sickening posted:

They released the print run details for vintage masters and I think its smaller than mm15.

Are there any decent estimates on the number of Force of Wills in the world, and how many will be added by this set?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Soul Glo posted:

This is probably the best analogy for the intent of my question. EMA's not what I thought/hoped it would be (but that's fine though).

Yeah dude, it sounds like what you're after would be something a different game offers, not magic. Both yugioh and force of will have both competitive starter tins and mini-sets that are explicitly designed to get you up to speed. Magic choose to put those options behind pack paywalls.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

UberJew posted:

right now we are in a uniquely lovely standard for budget decks where even the all in combat tricks and red creatures deck costs like 300 bucks

wait a while and maybe just draft

Standard is poo poo, modern is poo poo, legacy is dead.

Something something MaRo's vision

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Every format except my format is poo poo.

What's my format?

You should know that.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

http://wpn.wizards.com/en/products/eternal-masters

2–3 cases for WPN Core level stores
3–6 cases for WPN Advanced level stores
6–12 cases for WPN Advanced Plus level stores

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Entropic posted:

The target audience seems to be people who have duals and other reserved list cards but no other staples. So uh, nobody.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Sickening posted:

:lol:

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Sickening posted:

Those are likely initial allocations. My old LGS was told similar numbers for both Modern Masters sets and the eventual supply we received was significantly higher. I sold some 8 cases of the first Modern Masters here on SA Mart alone.

EDIT: Yup. Those are just starting allocations.

WPN posted:

Because of the popularity of Eternal Masters, the distribution will be partially allocation based. We're doing this to ensure this product is as evenly distributed as possible. Signing up in Wizards Event Reporter guarantees an amount of product as determined by your WPN level. You may be able to order more through your preferred distribution source, depending on availability.

Similar stuff was said about both Modern Masters sets and I'm pretty confident you could call ACD today and get a box or two of the latest one. So its not really cause for concern.

Ciprian Maricon fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Feb 18, 2016

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

suicidesteve posted:

The target audience seems to be people who have duals and other reserved list cards but no other staples. So uh, nobody.

The target audience is people who like 35$ drafts.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Count Bleck posted:

Every format except my format is poo poo.

What's my format?

You should know that.

I like all of the Eternal formats. I'm a bad man.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

That MSRP is making my eyes bulge.

Because that is not what it's actually going to go for.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
figures for mm15 were 2-3/5-6/9-12, so this is a smaller run and they're just keeping the high end the same so it doesn't look like it

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Star Man posted:

I like all of the Eternal formats. I'm a bad man.

Do you like Modeem during Eldrazi winter?

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

TheKingofSprings posted:

Do you like Modeem during Eldrazi winter?

I'm lovin it.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Count Bleck posted:

That MSRP is making my eyes bulge.

Because that is not what it's actually going to go for.
I'm skeptical that it will sell for all that much more than MSRP given that they didn't exactly pack MM2015 with value. It sells for less than $200 at places even now.

I guess I just expect them to avoid stepping on the toes of Modern Masters itself and a lot of the expensive Legacy cards are the same cards as in Modern. I'm struggling to think of a Mythic list they could actually print that would, on average, exceed the value of the Modern Masters ones. I suppose the real kicker would be if ZEN fetches are really in.

suicidesteve posted:

The target of the set is every Magic player that makes poor decisions with their money, so everybody. I mean, people are buying $300 dual lands to buy into a format they can't afford because some unknown cards will get marginally cheaper.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Feb 18, 2016

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Angry Grimace posted:

I suppose the real kicker would be if ZEN fetches are really in.
they aren't wasting the reprint equity of fetches on a superlimited high end product that will sell out instantly even if every mythic besides fow is commander trash like rikku

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Everblight posted:

they aren't wasting the reprint equity of fetches on a superlimited high end product that will sell out instantly even if every mythic besides fow is commander trash like rikku

you take that back she's infinitely more playable than kimahri

• Locked thread