Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

On the other hand, AWDS Sonja is pretty good outside of fog and ridiculous in it.

"Ridiculous" is sort of part for the course with AWDS though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
yeah, i kinda wish you could choose which game your co is working from but that would make bans a bit complicated

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

Looper posted:

yeah, i kinda wish you could choose which game your co is working from but that would make bans a bit complicated

AW1 Max and AWDS Eagle are the two that immediately come to mind that'd be banned.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

And AW2 Sturm.

Edit: Also, my playing in the game that I'm about to lose can be summed up as "too little, too late".

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I started to play better after looking up Sami's theme on youtube. I suggest everyone follow suit.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Sami's theme is legit one of the best themes, if not the best.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Actually, you'll find that answer is Grimm.

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007
Counterpoint: Sensei's theme.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
Brenner.

McD, I was going to actually start the game and take my turn but the website's down right now! Sorry!

Also I totally figured Lash was a shoein and thought Kindle would be an interesting counterpick. Seeing as how I've never actually used Kindle this should be hilarious.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Trasson posted:

Brenner.

McD, I was going to actually start the game and take my turn but the website's down right now! Sorry!

Also I totally figured Lash was a shoein and thought Kindle would be an interesting counterpick. Seeing as how I've never actually used Kindle this should be hilarious.

Kindle's real simple, if they have anything valuable on an urban tile use Urban Blight, repeat until the other side gives up out of annoyance and not having any funds due to repairs.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

I emailed Amarriner about the new hosting and replays recently. If the old site keeps going down, I'll see what I can do to set up games on the new site, assuming Amarriner gets everything working.

However, I'm adamant about preserving Kennyman666 and Doctor Reynolds's game.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

No that's totally fine.

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007
A question to get some discussion going while the site is down:

If you were allowed to make an alternate set of CO stats for use in an "AWBW Rebalance" mode, what changes would you make and why?

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Glidergun posted:

If you were allowed to make an alternate set of CO stats for use in an "AWBW Rebalance" mode, what changes would you make and why?

use aw1 stats for everyone except max, sami, and sonja (maybe grit) and remove super powers because they're dumb

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

SCOPs are cool and kind of necessary to prevent stalemates

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
trust me i'm an expert, with untold amounts of player versus player experience

Monk E
May 19, 2009
Make Jess not suck thats all I would ask.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Jess doesn't suck in the version that AWBW doesn't have.

This is, in fact, true of most bad COs.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Glidergun posted:

Use AWDOR units. I want my seaplanes and temporary ports!

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

yeah but then you get antitank spam

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Gamerofthegame posted:

yeah but then you get antitank spam

Grit Antitanks.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I liked AWDS's more relevant Skills. It makes everyone feel a lot more distinctive.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Glidergun posted:

I'm really not sure how to "fix" Colin without nerfing him to uselessness and/or completely redesigning his playstyle. I suppose you can argue that Sasha already acts as a "balanced" Colin of sorts.

Speaking of, I wonder if a couple of exhibition matches showcasing the banned COs would be interesting to do, just to show people who aren't too familiar with these games precisely why they're banned.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Combine the ideas, allow banned COs in the losers bracket. :getin:

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
Predeployed map Kanbei vs Colin followed by deployment map Kanbei vs Colin.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
followed by predeployed Hachi vs Sensei

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Looper posted:

followed by predeployed Hachi vs Sensei

Predeployed Hachi vs Sasha :getin:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Super Jay Mann posted:

I'm really not sure how to "fix" Colin without nerfing him to uselessness and/or completely redesigning his playstyle. I suppose you can argue that Sasha already acts as a "balanced" Colin of sorts.
just make his defense suck too and make his co bar ooooOO and he'd be fine

the reason both kanbei and colin are busted is simple math, they get a net gain from their stats. colin is losing 10% offense for a 20% price drop. Kanbei is spending 30% more for a 60% total increase.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I imagine if Colin's units were 80/80 he'd probably suck. Because wow is that trash.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Doctor Reynolds posted:

I imagine if Colin's units were 80/80 he'd probably suck. Because wow is that trash.

well yeah, but 90/90 is pretty manageable especially at 80% cost and with free money as a COP

and Kanbei's units are 130/130 at 120% cost which is garbage without even getting into his powers

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Eagle with AWDS Lightning Drive (move again at 50/100 stats) but an oooooOOOO meter.

Jess with either 120/100 vehicles and 90/100 footsoldiers, or 115/100 vehicles and 100/100 footsoldiers.

I know the classic balance proposal for Sensei is along the lines of 8HP infantry/mechs from his powers and a meter of ooooOOOO.

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Feb 19, 2016

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Wasn't Colin's main problem that he could use his COP two times in a row?

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
Collin and Kanbei are two CO's that made me wonder about their balance the second I looked at their stats. They have an obvious mathematical weirdness about them. Other CO's like Jess and Grit have a solid idea on paper, an obvious strength and an obvious weakness, but the strengths and weaknesses just doesn't turn out to be equal once you play the game vs humans.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Super Jay Mann posted:

Speaking of, I wonder if a couple of exhibition matches showcasing the banned COs would be interesting to do, just to show people who aren't too familiar with these games precisely why they're banned.
We actually started a five player game with only the broken five, so that could maybe be used for this. Slur's playing in it, though.

But evidently, they were too broken, and the site broke within 12 hours of the game starting.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

One 'balance' suggestion I've always really liked was making Flak 120/120 on his turn and 80/90 on the enemy's turn. Not that flak's broken but it's a more interesting concept than praying to the RNG.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I'd like to see Adder get an upgrade of sorts. Like perhaps have a bar that runs xxXX since otherwise Sidewinder is just a much worse option than Sideslip.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Endorph posted:

One 'balance' suggestion I've always really liked was making Flak 120/120 on his turn and 80/90 on the enemy's turn. Not that flak's broken but it's a more interesting concept than praying to the RNG.
Mind you, other than a few edge cases, that's pretty similar to Grimm.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Yorkshire Tea posted:

I'd like to see Adder get an upgrade of sorts. Like perhaps have a bar that runs xxXX since otherwise Sidewinder is just a much worse option than Sideslip.
I've been wondering if it would be too strong for Adder to have a straight up +1 movement. Maybe only on ground vehicles, and with -1 movement on air units?

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

KennyMan666 posted:

I've been wondering if it would be too strong for Adder to have a straight up +1 movement. Maybe only on ground vehicles, and with -1 movement on air units?

+1 movement as a D2D would be ridiculously overpowered. You could constantly threaten attack and your opponent wouldn't be able to do anything about it except back off again and again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
It would be even more overpowered than Grit's +1 range on his indirects. Heck, +1 move on infantry alone would probably break most maps to shreds and let you build up an unstoppable economic advantage.

• Locked thread