Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

natetimm posted:

Has anybody with one of those inanimate object gimmicks ever really reached the pinnacle? Al Snow, Saturn, Chavo, etc.

Macho Man did pretty well despite Miss Elizabeth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

This man main evented Starrcade for a world title shot.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

ayn rand hand job posted:

Al Snow was a real live human being though. We swear.

They really buried this guy and his career was pretty much DOA.

Did he talk to the urn? I don't remember him doing that, but it was a long time ago. Having a prop is one thing, but talking to it like it's a person is another.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

natetimm posted:

Did he talk to the urn? I don't remember him doing that, but it was a long time ago. Having a prop is one thing, but talking to it like it's a person is another.

You said inanimate object. :colbert:

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
but we know the real champion of the inanimate object gimmicks

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

ayn rand hand job posted:

You said inanimate object. :colbert:

Yeah, I know, I should have been clearer. Almost every wrestler is some kind of prop gimmick if you look hard enough, it just seems the "guy talks to inanimate object" gimmick seems to be a real career killer.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

The gookers Latino heat?

ThePariah
Feb 10, 2014
The Stone Cold podcast with Big Show got me thinking about Steve Austin's personality back in his prime. What was his reputation backstage? He seems to have mellowed out now, but the backstage stories Austin and others have told make it seem as if his personality and behavior was a lot closer to Stone Cold than current Austin. What did his peers think of him? Was he considered hard to work with?

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

ThePariah posted:

The Stone Cold podcast with Big Show got me thinking about Steve Austin's personality back in his prime. What was his reputation backstage? He seems to have mellowed out now, but the backstage stories Austin and others have told make it seem as if his personality and behavior was a lot closer to Stone Cold than current Austin. What did his peers think of him? Was he considered hard to work with?

Seems like he was fairly driven, but no more of an rear end in a top hat than anyone else in wrestling had to be to survive that political environment. Jeff Jarrett and Billy Gunn might tell you differently though.

https://www.reddit.com/r/TheDirtsheets/comments/3qs0xg/austin_vetoes_matches_against_jeff_jarrett_billy/

VileLL
Oct 3, 2015

natetimm posted:

Yeah, I know, I should have been clearer. Almost every wrestler is some kind of prop gimmick if you look hard enough, it just seems the "guy talks to inanimate object" gimmick seems to be a real career killer.

I think Kane maybe talked to his mask a few times? Not sure if that's actually the case though

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Austin is a great American hero for keeping Jeff Jarrett in places he can be quietly forgotten. Let us not speak of him again.

The highest profile inanimate object gimmick was when WCW made Scott Hall into "drunk man carrying a cattle prod."

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Jeff Jarrett is awesome, nerds

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

ThePariah posted:

Apparently Austin could be paranoid and protective of his spot, like a lot of dudes at the time. I can't think of much to back this up though, I just remembering hearing the dudes on the AE podcast talk about it a while ago. Maybe someone else can confirm/deny

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I'm not a defender of Shawn Michaels, but I wonder if some of his bad attitude was due to coming up in an era where guys like Hogan protected themselves by saying small guys weren't credible stars. Had I been in his position I wouldn't have wanted to job or let Vader stiff the poo poo out of me either.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Smoking Crow posted:

No.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

Smoking Crow posted:

choke on this, slap nuts

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Smoking Crow posted:

This has not been the case the vast majority of the time

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Remember when Jeff Jarrett had Col. Robert Parker, Mideon, and that other dude in a stable designed to convince you he was good?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Southern Justice

magnum_valentino
Apr 18, 2013
Did Southern Justice not replace Tennessee Lee? Didn't think there was an overlap.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

I'm pretty sure there was at least some time in 1997 they were all four together. I'm basing this mostly on remembering episodes of the AE Podcast from a couple years ago though.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
Having seen how ineptly the WWE handled their talent after the Attitude era, I find it likely that the creative control held by certain high-profile wrestlers during that time probably contributed to making the product better.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

natetimm posted:

Having seen how ineptly the WWE handled their talent after the Attitude era, I find it likely that the creative control held by certain high-profile wrestlers during that time probably contributed to making the product better.

I wonder what would happen if Roman pitched a fit over losing like Shawn used to do. Would Vince make an example out of him because he has no competition, or would he go along with it because he loves Roman so dang much

magnum_valentino
Apr 18, 2013
Is "[Wrestlers] get brutally honest in a series of sit-down interviews" the official name for that feature on WWE's website? They use that wording with autistic consistency.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

magnum_valentino posted:

Is "[Wrestlers] get brutally honest in a series of sit-down interviews" the official name for that feature on WWE's website? They use that wording with autistic consistency.

They know their audience.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

magnum_valentino posted:

They know that shoot interviews are all the rage but don't want to actually say "shoot interview."

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

magnum_valentino posted:

Did Southern Justice not replace Tennessee Lee? Didn't think there was an overlap.

Certainly is.... Tennessee Lee is still around with JJ after KOTR 98 which is where I first noticed Southern Justice accompanying him to the ring.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

triplexpac posted:

Apparently Austin could be paranoid and protective of his spot, like a lot of dudes at the time. I can't think of much to back this up though, I just remembering hearing the dudes on the AE podcast talk about it a while ago. Maybe someone else can confirm/deny

I just listened to the AE podcast on the subject and yeah, it sounded like Austin had a fair degree of insecurity concerning his place on the roster.
He was not above throwing around his clout and refusing to work with certain individuals. But usually it was justifiable.

He didn't want to work with Hogan because Hogan was instrumental in his marginalization and eventual ejection from WCW. If not for Hogan, I doubt he would have lost to Duggan in 30 seconds.
He didn't want to work with Hall because of Hall's substance abuse issues combined with his usage of a dangerous finisher that would greatly imperil Austin's neck.
He didn't want to work with Owen because Owen broke his drat neck doing a spot Austin didn't want to do.
He didn't want to work with Jarrett because ???. Really this is the only weird one that I'm aware of. Not that I'm not grateful mind you. Russo thought way too highly of Jeff.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Jarrett/Austin is the famed story where Austin worked for jarretts dad and got a small paycheck and was looking at it and Jeff who was the promotors son and main eventer and who got the big bucks walked by and said "it ain't gonna get any bigger by looking at it" and strutted away talking about how great he was

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

He apparently refused to drop the belt to Hunter at Summerslam 99, hence Foley winning in a triple threat match, and then losing to Hunter the next night on Raw

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

I always liked the rumor that Austin didn't want to work with Jarrett because Jarrett didn't hit the ropes hard enough.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

oldpainless posted:

Jarrett/Austin is the famed story where Austin worked for jarretts dad and got a small paycheck and was looking at it and Jeff who was the promotors son and main eventer and who got the big bucks walked by and said "it ain't gonna get any bigger by looking at it" and strutted away talking about how great he was

goddamn double j is the greatest

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

St Evan Echoes posted:

He apparently refused to drop the belt to Hunter at Summerslam 99, hence Foley winning in a triple threat match, and then losing to Hunter the next night on Raw

Thought his logic of that one was Ventura, then Gov. of Minnesota, was the guest referee and it'd look bad if he had to count the fall for a heel, so let Foley win to prevent a PR disaster and do the change the next night?

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

oldpainless posted:

How could you not like Double J Heff Harrett.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Has anyone synced up the 92 rumble with flair's podcast yet?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

oldpainless posted:

Jeff Jarrett is my hero

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

C. Everett Koop posted:

Thought his logic of that one was Ventura, then Gov. of Minnesota, was the guest referee and it'd look bad if he had to count the fall for a heel, so let Foley win to prevent a PR disaster and do the change the next night?

If that was the logic, and that's all there was to it, then why involve Foley at all? It would have been way less convoluted just to have Austin retain at Summerslam and have HHH beat Austin on Raw.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

ChrisBTY posted:

If that was the logic, and that's all there was to it, then why involve Foley at all? It would have been way less convoluted just to have Austin retain at Summerslam and have HHH beat Austin on Raw.

Because they didn't want to beat the next big heel headliner right before his title reign began.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

triplexpac posted:

I wonder what would happen if Roman pitched a fit over losing like Shawn used to do. Would Vince make an example out of him because he has no competition, or would he go along with it because he loves Roman so dang much

One of the recurring themes in a lot of the wrestler biographies and autobiographies I read on why the product is worse today is the lack of control individual wrestlers have over their characters. Giving more booking control obviously has its flaws as anyone can tell you, but taking chances on the creativity of your own workers seems to have a much lower down side. The New Day is a pretty good example of this, I think. I hope it leads to more "creative control" in the hands of performers that isn't just petulantly refusing to lose to people because of backstage politics and personal issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps
When I was 12 in 1999, I watched WWF all that summer and even as a dumb mark then I thought the Austin to Foley to HHH was bizarre hotshotting. I remember Foley's three count being anti climatic as gently caress.