Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

Trast posted:

In a nutshell she breaks into Arkhem to spring her boyfriend and runs into the Joker. Joker tries to manipulate her again. She is having none of it. They throw down and she wins, walks away telling him she'll never let him abuse her again.

Amanda Conner seems to be taking Harley away from that horrible, abusive relationship that nerds have disgustingly fetishized. It was cute in Batman: The Animated Series, but since then both characters have become needlessly edgy and gratuitous. It's not fun, it's not humorous even in a dark sense, it's just uncomfortable and cheap.
Relevant images from Conner's Harley Quinn and Power Girl #4:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Trast posted:

In a nutshell she breaks into Arkhem to spring her boyfriend and runs into the Joker. Joker tries to manipulate her again. She is having none of it. They throw down and she wins, walks away telling him she'll never let him abuse her again.

Oh. Again?

This is like the fifth time she's done that.

Beefstew posted:

It was cute in Batman: The Animated Series,

It was uncomfortable and creepy even in B:TAS. It was never cute because he was always abusive and cruel and they even had episodes about that. (As well as about Harley leaving the Joker because that plot ain't anything new so I have no idea why nerds would be angry over it.)

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Feb 18, 2016

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

I wouldn't mind if every issue of Harley Quinn had a scene where she says how toxic was that relationship and how hosed up are some people for finding it "sexy".

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Adnor posted:

I wouldn't mind if every issue of Harley Quinn had a scene where she says how toxic was that relationship and how hosed up are some people for finding it "sexy".

Yeah, I have no problem with calling a toxic relationship toxic, it's just not anything new. I was expecting something like... unexpected.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

BC is saying Sam Humphries is now DC exclusive too.
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/02/18/sam-humphries-signs-exclusively-to-dc-comics-ahead-of-rebirth/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
Yeah I kinda hope DC just keeps the two separated, both in JP/AC's thing and in New Suicide Squad (the comic, not the film where I'm pretty sure we're too late for that). It's way too late to walk back their relation/Joker to being anything less than abusive, and Harley works fine as a character independent from the Joker.

burnishedfume fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Feb 18, 2016

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I don't mind Harley and the Joker. I think it's cute. But at the same time I understand that with the progressive direction we're going in it's probably for the best it be dealt with one way or the other, I guess; I would have rather they stay in their relationship but be portrayed as equals who both give exactly as good as they get. I don't like Perfect Wacky Female Deadpool.

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Feb 18, 2016

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

WickedHate posted:

I don't mind Harley and the Joker. I think it's cute.

You think a completely dysfunctional relationship, based on physical and mental abuse is cute?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

bobkatt013 posted:

You think a completely dysfunctional relationship, based on physical and mental abuse is cute?

It's not real my dude.

WickedHate posted:

I would have rather they stay in their relationship but be portrayed as equals who both give exactly as good as they get.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

DrProsek posted:

Yeah I kinda hope DC just keeps the two separated, both in JP/AC's thing and in New Suicide Squad (the comic, not the film where I'm pretty sure we're too late for that). It's way too late to walk back their relation/Joker to being anything less than abusive, and Harley works fine as a character independent from the Joker.

Pretty sure JP/AC is their own little pocket universe that DC is leaving alone due to sales and Palmiotti and Didio going way back.

That being said I'm having fun laughing at the nerds freaking out about Harley whoopin' on Joker and calling him out for what he is.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

bobkatt013 posted:

I think they mean the basic "clownman/lady crime duo/lovers" thing, the whole Bonnie and Clyde thing. That part's fine, it's just the grimm dark Joker being really abusive that makes it really bad.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

DrProsek posted:

I think they mean the basic "clownman/lady crime duo/lovers" thing, the whole Bonnie and Clyde thing. That part's fine, it's just the grimm dark Joker being really abusive that makes it really bad.

So the way it has always been? It has never been a thing of equals from him loving with her head so much that she joined him.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

WickedHate posted:

It's not real my dude.

That doesn't make it less creepy or hosed up?

DrProsek posted:

That has literally been the character from the start. They have never ever been "Bonnie and Clyde." Like it's an ongoing thing that Harley alongside the Joker is massively 'less' than she is on her both in hero and villain terms.

Edit: Like "Bonnie and Clyde" is more like the Harley/Ivy relationship than Harley/Joker.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

DrProsek posted:

I think they mean the basic "clownman/lady crime duo/lovers" thing, the whole Bonnie and Clyde thing.

congrats, you just got why so many people are into the Harley and Ivy dynamic

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

In Batman the Animated series I don't remember it being as bad as it got in the comics.

Then again my memory of BtAS is really hazy, I could easily be very wrong :shobon:

E:

ElNarez posted:

Oh yeah, other good reason to break up Harley and Joker: Harley and Ivy was way better.

burnishedfume fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Feb 18, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

DrProsek posted:

In Batman the Animated series I do t remember it being as bad as it got in the comics.

Then again my memory of BtAS is really hazy, I could easily be very wrong :shobon:

Mad Love literally features Harley coming close to killing Batman and that pissing the Joker off so much he almost murders her, while Batman 'wins' by pushing Harley to realize the Joker is using her and taunts Joker with the fact that Harley almost killed him.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

ElNarez posted:

I've always found that pairing to be queerbaiting at best and fanservice at worst. Ivy is just so bland and not a good fit for Harley, even if they try to do it better now that it's a Thing.

ImpAtom posted:

They have never ever been "Bonnie and Clyde."

Occasionally, and they should be more is my main point.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

That doesn't make it less creepy or hosed up?

That has literally been the character from the start. They have never ever been "Bonnie and Clyde." Like it's an ongoing thing that Harley alongside the Joker is massively 'less' than she is on her both in hero and villain terms.

Edit: Like "Bonnie and Clyde" is more like the Harley/Ivy relationship than Harley/Joker.
Harley and Ivy is the true power couple here. Joker/Harley is just weird. It doesn't make sense for Joker one drat bit, and it just puts Harley in a hench/submissive position.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Mad Love literally features Harley coming close to killing Batman and that pissing the Joker off so much he almost murders her, while Batman 'wins' by pushing Harley to realize the Joker is using her and taunts Joker with the fact that Harley almost killed him.

:stare: see I remember the Harley almost killing Batman part and then just kinda forgot that latter part.

Never mind, it's just always been hosed up since day 1.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

WickedHate posted:

I've always found that pairing to be queerbaiting at best and fanservice at worst. Ivy is just so bland and not a good fit for Harley, even if they try to do it better now that it's a Thing.

They have been doing it since TAS. It is nothing new, and it worked really good then. You felt really bad for Harley as she acted like a battered women.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

bobkatt013 posted:

They have been doing it since TAS. It is nothing new, and it worked really good then. You felt really bad for Harley as she acted like a battered women.

I know when it started, and either Paul Dini or Bruce Timm or both are known to be fetishistic with female characters. It's just forced and not all that interesting.

My ideal situation for Harley and the Joker both is the song Killers in Love by Tub Ring. Hell, it'd help give the Joker an identity outside Batman too and probably make him less stupidly grim. People would mind it a lot less if they stopped writing Harley as such a submissive victim in their relationship instead of someone who can stand toe to toe with him from the start instead of going through the whole Gloria Gaynor I Will Survive thing first and severing the relationship entirely.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

WickedHate posted:

Occasionally, and they should be more is my main point.

I literally can't think of an example. The Harley Quinn/Joker relationship is defined by being unhealthy and abusive and nobody has really deviated from that much. At best they have an adventure where Harley is his sidekick without him beating her or tormenting her which is still not a healthy relationship.

Also it's kind of gross to want to 'fix' an abusive relationship instead of applauding a woman getting away from one.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Feb 18, 2016

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Harley is so much better away from the Joker.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Shut up. Geoff Johns is talking Rebirth.
http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/exclusive-geoff-johns-details-rebirth-plan-seeks-to-restore-legacy-to-dc-universe

quote:

"Rebirth" starts in "DC Universe Rebirth," an 80-page one-shot scheduled for release on May 25, written by Johns and illustrated by artists Ethan Van Sciver, Ivan Reis, Gary Frank and Phil Jimenez.

With "Rebirth," the mainline DC Universe titles will be renumbered with new #1s -- except for "Action Comics" and "Detective Comics," the two longest-running series in DC's lineup, which will return to their original numbering at #957 and #934, respectively. All DCU books will return to a $2.99 price point (currently their lineup is split between $3.99 and $2.99 single issues), and select core titles (details to come on exactly which) will shift to a twice-monthly schedule.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOFXITBuLMA

He specifically mentioned Birds of Prey and JSA in this video.

Johns is also leaving Justice League.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Feb 18, 2016

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Hey, we're getting the original numbering back on Action and Detective. Haven't followed those in years but nice, I like that.

ImpAtom posted:

Also it's kind of gross to want to 'fix' an abusive relationship instead of applauding a woman getting away from one.

I've been in multiple abusive situations including CSA so get off my back? I think I have the perspective to know what I'm talking about. I relate to Harley a lot and I just see a version of her relationship with the Joker where they work together instead of her being submissive to him.

Furthermore,

WickedHate posted:

It's not real my dude.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Even if I was right about their relation being fine in BtAS (which to be clear, I was not) their relation in comics has been so bad for so long there's no rehabilitating it, and both characters have better pairings (Harley and Ivy, Joker and being in comics I don't read).

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

WickedHate posted:

I've been in multiple abusive situations including CSA so get off my back? I think I have the perspective to know what I'm talking about. I relate to Harley a lot and I just see a version of her relationship with the Joker where they work together instead of her being submissive to him.

Furthermore,

It not being real literally doesn't matter when the story is explicitly about it being an abusive relationship. Like you can make arguments about Bella and Edward or whatever being escapist fantasy but Joker and Harley is about an abusive boyfriend and a story that ends with "and he became better and treated her like an equal" is pretty hosed up in a bad way.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Is the actual announcement being streamed anywhere?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

It not being real literally doesn't matter when the story is explicitly about it being an abusive relationship. Like you can make arguments about Bella and Edward or whatever being escapist fantasy but Joker and Harley is about an abusive boyfriend and a story that ends with "and he became better and treated her like an equal" is pretty hosed up in a bad way.

Yeah, the message of "stay in this hosed up abusive relationship and it'll all work out!" is gross.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

ImpAtom posted:

No, I agree with that. It shouldn't magically get better, that would be unimaginably lovely. I'm saying there should be a version-be it alternate continuity, retcon, reboot, whatever-where they've always been tormenting each other exactly as hard if not more so than people traditionally depict Joker towards Harley alone, including extended periods where Harley is explicitly the one in full control.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

WickedHate posted:

No, I agree with that. It shouldn't magically get better, that would be unimaginably lovely. I'm saying there should be a version-be it alternate continuity, retcon, reboot, whatever-where they've always been tormenting each other exactly as hard if not more so than people traditionally depict Joker towards Harley alone, including extended periods where Harley is explicitly the one in full control.
That sounds even worse.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Teenage Fansub posted:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/exclusive-geoff-johns-details-rebirth-plan-seeks-to-restore-legacy-to-dc-universe

So Conner, Jay, Wally, Jessica, Kara.

Any idea on who the hooded guy is?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

That ignores one of the most important elements of the relationship, that he hosed up her mind so that she left her job and her old life for him. Joker is also a monster, and if they want to keep her as an antihero it makes sense to keep her away from him.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Teenage Fansub posted:

DC staying at 2.99 is kinda huge, and way smart? Whatever the rest of Rebirth is, that's one Cool and Good move.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

So Conner, Jay, Wally, Jessica, Kara.

Any idea on who the hooded guy is?

Green Arrow?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

bobkatt013 posted:

That ignores one of the most important elements of the relationship, that he hosed up her mind so that she left her job and her old life for him. Joker is also a monster, and if they want to keep her as an antihero it makes sense to keep her away from him.

And she's way happier and cooler than when she was a listless graduate stuck in a career path she didn't really care about with a job at the shittiest place on the planet. Joker could be an anti hero too, it's not like he hasn't varied wildly depending on the era+writer anyway. I'm surprised they didn't make him their Deadpool, really.

Harley not being an anti hero isn't that bad anyway, as long as they don't keep up with Joker being so over the top grimdark.

redbackground posted:

That sounds even worse.

What, do you feel sorry for the Joker?

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Feb 18, 2016

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

WickedHate posted:

What, do you feel sorry for the Joker?
I don't know where you got that from, but uh, no? He's a monster. Part 1 of why she shouldn't be with him; But back to the earlier point, I don't see how a mutually antagonistic relationship is a best-case scenario for Harl.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

redbackground posted:

I don't see how a mutually antagonistic relationship is a best-case scenario for Harl.

Because it's also mutually loving. It's weird, sure, but comics are great for exploring concepts like that.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

WickedHate posted:

Hey, we're getting the original numbering back on Action and Detective. Haven't followed those in years but nice, I like that.
Was just a matter of time, given both have issue #1000 coming up in a few years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

It took me like 21 loving years to realize that Harley and Ivy happened at all because it's a loving pun.

• Locked thread