Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Taran_Wanderer posted:

More renown is never a bad thing. If there's any faction that has the tools to keep him alive, it's Lannister. I look forward to seeing what nonsense people will pull off with him.

Im typically playing AGAINST Lannister, which dominates the local meta here. It just makes me groan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterShine
Feb 21, 2006

I just want him and Nymeria to sit across the table glaring at each other.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Journey Down the Anduin ended with 11 enemies lurching into combat at once at stage 3.

Elrohir could only block 7 of them.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

sassassin posted:

Journey Down the Anduin ended with 11 enemies lurching into combat at once at stage 3.

Elrohir could only block 7 of them.

Details plz.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Stage 2 when there's no engagement checks was just 3 turns of surging enemies. One turn I had to draw 8 encounter cards. Had no way to knock off enemies in the staging area so when I reached stage 3 (draw 2 cards per player, just as the encounter deck recycled), everything jumped in at once (plus two Goblin Snipers watching on).

I drew really well from my decks for every situation but what I faced, except the second hill troll which I had The Door is Closed ready for but was out of resources to pay for it. Made some mistakes for sure.

Elrohir had Elven Mail (for Sentinel), Song of Wisdom, Burning Brand and Protector of Lorien so even a few less enemies and I could've been fine.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Can anyone confirm if Song of wisdom actually makes someone a Lore character?

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

I went some place mum and everyday I woke up in that place and told myself I'm alive and I was.

Baron Porkface posted:

Can anyone confirm if Song of wisdom actually makes someone a Lore character?

Yea and no. If you have Song of Wisdom on a hero you can use it to attach Burning Brand because it just asks for a lore character but if it asks for a printed lore icon your out of luck.

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

Khazad-dum is back in stock at a lot of places. $19 at CSI

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Awesome. The Black Riders is in stock too, and The Road Darkens should be soon

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/2/19/the-pack-survives/

Preview of some new Stark cards in the big box expansion, including a Stark version of Jon. Pretty interesting sacrifice gimmick they're going with for the Starks here.

ALLAN LASSUS
May 11, 2007

apul.prof./ass.prof.
Sooo my FLGS is dumping a lot of LCG stuff at -33% or more (CoC at -60% but not really interested in those), so I'm thinking now might be a good time to finally pick up some Star Wars LCG stuff.

Core set is sold out so I'll have to get that elsewhere, but otherwise they seem to have the first three large expansions and at least the Hoth and Echoes of the Force cycles. That's still a pretty overwhelming amount of stuff, so any recommendations on what would be good buys? Any packs in the first two cycles that are especially good value? What about the big boxes, any worth buying?

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Running this at an SC tomorrow:

Trying to think how to fit Sowing Chaos in, any thoughts?

Also, here's why my Cato ended:

Any thoughts?

X_ThePerfect
Jul 31, 2010
UK/Euro LCG goons - what do you guys use for storage of LOTR?
I know you can get inserts and custom boxes but those all seem to be from the US and the shipping cost is obscene (even before considering any duty payable), so I was wondering if there are any other options that are more reasonable on that front.

ALLAN LASSUS
May 11, 2007

apul.prof./ass.prof.

X_ThePerfect posted:

UK/Euro LCG goons - what do you guys use for storage of LOTR?
I know you can get inserts and custom boxes but those all seem to be from the US and the shipping cost is obscene (even before considering any duty payable), so I was wondering if there are any other options that are more reasonable on that front.

I store player cards in a binder sorted by sphere, type, cost etc. and encounter cards in Dragon Shield boxes, sorted by cycle. Space- and costwise it's a pretty good solution since the binder stores all player cards released so far easily and one plastic DS box eats up encounters from about two complete cycles.

e: I've a fantasy of laser cutting my own inserts and dividers similar to the ones sold online (since yeah the shipping costs for those are insane) from wood or acrylic but haven't got around to it yet, maybe someday.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Bottom Liner posted:

That was the original statement, but this week one of the devs specifically mentioned VM being brought in to 2.0. I think as long as it stays 2/0/0/4 then it would be a great addition to the game, as it's already really hard to recover from a behind position and more removal and board wipe options are usually healthy in card games. My friends and I are going to proxy it this weekend and see how it plays out.

French has said that Valar will definitely be in 2.0, and has strongly suggested it would be evergreen (so in a big box), but while everyone has taken that to mean it would be exactly the same as the 1.0 version, he's never said that at all. It could be no saves. It could be Varys-style discarding instead of kill. It could be anything, really, that is still a global board wipe. People immediately say "hurr all men must die has to kill or else its dumb" but semantic stuff like that happens all the time.

I'm torn about Valar, honestly. I didn't play 1.0 so all I have is stories of how it was in every single deck and dominated the whole game and I don't think one card should do that. And I don't want unique characters to become unplayable in favor of weenies or nameless grunts because that's not why I am playing Game of loving Thrones. I don't want games to be everyone holding back until after the game of Valar Chicken is over.

But at the same time I do see that the game needs more board clears - big boards get really unwieldy and Varys and Wildfire aren't enough. 2/0/0/4 may be enough - but then you have people arguing that's not good enough and its unplayable unless it's 3/0/0/5 or something, and those are usually 1.0 players who LIKED that it defined the entire game and basically reduced the plot deck to "Valar and 6 others".

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

canyoneer posted:

Awesome. The Black Riders is in stock too, and The Road Darkens should be soon

Finally! I've had this on back-order for the last month.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

ALLAN LASSUS posted:

I store player cards in a binder sorted by sphere, type, cost etc. and encounter cards in Dragon Shield boxes, sorted by cycle. Space- and costwise it's a pretty good solution since the binder stores all player cards released so far easily and one plastic DS box eats up encounters from about two complete cycles.

e: I've a fantasy of laser cutting my own inserts and dividers similar to the ones sold online (since yeah the shipping costs for those are insane) from wood or acrylic but haven't got around to it yet, maybe someday.

I do the player cards in binders as well, and have all the encounter sets in penny sleeves and team bags. The ultrapro team bags will perfectly fit each encounter set plus quest cards. I then toss the encounter deck packets into the box.

I store player cards in binders and then put them in fancy sleeves, as I find that you shuffle the player deck due to card effects and whatever much more frequently than the encounter deck. Thus I don't mind the lame penny sleeves on the encounter deck

nyxnyxnyx
Jun 24, 2013

JoshTheStampede posted:

French has said that Valar will definitely be in 2.0, and has strongly suggested it would be evergreen (so in a big box), but while everyone has taken that to mean it would be exactly the same as the 1.0 version, he's never said that at all. It could be no saves. It could be Varys-style discarding instead of kill. It could be anything, really, that is still a global board wipe. People immediately say "hurr all men must die has to kill or else its dumb" but semantic stuff like that happens all the time.

I'm torn about Valar, honestly. I didn't play 1.0 so all I have is stories of how it was in every single deck and dominated the whole game and I don't think one card should do that. And I don't want unique characters to become unplayable in favor of weenies or nameless grunts because that's not why I am playing Game of loving Thrones. I don't want games to be everyone holding back until after the game of Valar Chicken is over.

But at the same time I do see that the game needs more board clears - big boards get really unwieldy and Varys and Wildfire aren't enough. 2/0/0/4 may be enough - but then you have people arguing that's not good enough and its unplayable unless it's 3/0/0/5 or something, and those are usually 1.0 players who LIKED that it defined the entire game and basically reduced the plot deck to "Valar and 6 others".

When this plot is revealed, kill all male characters. (cannot be saved)

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Even without the events of forty years ago, I think man would still be a creature that fears the dark.

EVGA Longoria posted:

Running this at an SC tomorrow:

Trying to think how to fit Sowing Chaos in, any thoughts?

Also, here's why my Cato ended:

Any thoughts?

Zara looks very solid. If you want to play Sowing Chaos, I would go:

-3 Ork Kannon
-2 Khorne Berzerker

+2 Sowing Chaos
+2 Noise Marine Fanatics
+1 Xavaes Split-Tongue

I think the Cato deck is decent, but I would definitely swap Marksman for ECT - and I'm not too sure about Righteous Initiate in a deck without ways to buff its attack.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

canyoneer posted:

I do the player cards in binders as well, and have all the encounter sets in penny sleeves and team bags. The ultrapro team bags will perfectly fit each encounter set plus quest cards. I then toss the encounter deck packets into the box.

I store player cards in binders and then put them in fancy sleeves, as I find that you shuffle the player deck due to card effects and whatever much more frequently than the encounter deck. Thus I don't mind the lame penny sleeves on the encounter deck

I do pretty much the same, finding out about team bags was the best thing. I like being able to store a whole cycles worth of encounter decks in the cycles expansion box. I don't sleeve my encounter cards though.

Sleeves are a must for player decks though, makes shuffling way better.

X_ThePerfect
Jul 31, 2010
I had no idea what team bags were, so thanks guys - I'll keep an eye out for some.

Now to wait for gameslore or boardgameguru to get the Dwarrowdelf packs I need.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Okay, just had my first IRL Conquest game. I've got three questions:

1) Fire Warrior Elite says it must be designated as a defender. How does that work with Area Effect attacks? I suppose it doesn't, and we played it as such, but I want to make sure.

2) Shadowsun's redeployment signature event (can't recall the name). Does it work on enemy units with attachments?

3) That Chaos mutation card with ambush, the one that does one damage every time the attached card exhausts. What happens if I attach it to the the Fire Warrior card that gets +1 per attachment? Does it get +1 ATK?

Game rules, at least for now. It came down to the very last planet and some smart plays on both sides.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Fetterkey posted:

Zara looks very solid. If you want to play Sowing Chaos, I would go:

-3 Ork Kannon
-2 Khorne Berzerker

+2 Sowing Chaos
+2 Noise Marine Fanatics
+1 Xavaes Split-Tongue

I think the Cato deck is decent, but I would definitely swap Marksman for ECT - and I'm not too sure about Righteous Initiate in a deck without ways to buff its attack.

Thanks, I ended up playing the Cato because I was more familiar with it, but kinda wishing I'd played Zarathur, just for a change. I ended up going 0-4, but I had 2 games come down to "Whoever wins this planet wins the game", so there was that. I also had some horrible luck most of the day, where no matter what I did I drew only units. My proportions might be a bit out of whack.

Who's a good first planet bully deck?

Azran posted:

Okay, just had my first IRL Conquest game. I've got three questions:

1) Fire Warrior Elite says it must be designated as a defender. How does that work with Area Effect attacks? I suppose it doesn't, and we played it as such, but I want to make sure.

2) Shadowsun's redeployment signature event (can't recall the name). Does it work on enemy units with attachments?

3) That Chaos mutation card with ambush, the one that does one damage every time the attached card exhausts. What happens if I attach it to the the Fire Warrior card that gets +1 per attachment? Does it get +1 ATK?

Game rules, at least for now. It came down to the very last planet and some smart plays on both sides.

I'm fairly new to Conquest myself so take these with a grain of salt, but I have a lot of experience with card games in general.

1) Fire Warrior Elite says "When an enemy warrior would declare an attack against a unit you control on this planet, declare this unit the defender instead." Since AoE doesn't declare a defender, the condition for the trigger never happens and AoE occurs.

2) No, because the "Exhaust" is part of the cost.

3) Dire Mutation? It's an attachment, so yes - Fire Warrior Strike Team would get +1 Attack.

EVGA Longoria fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Feb 21, 2016

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Nobody wants to talk about the new Game of Thrones preview? https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/2/22/across-the-seven-kingdoms-1/

I guess nothing particularly superb. Robb is a bit of a Timmy card and Viserys still maintains the best flavor.

Edit: I've heard rumor that the street date for the next AGOT pack was on Thursday. It may be a "my uncle works at Nintendo" sort of thing, but.

GrandpaPants fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Feb 23, 2016

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

GrandpaPants posted:

Nobody wants to talk about the new Game of Thrones preview? https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/2/22/across-the-seven-kingdoms-1/

I guess nothing particularly superb. Robb is a bit of a Timmy card and Viserys still maintains the best flavor.

Edit: I've heard rumor that the street date for the next AGOT pack was on Thursday. It may be a "my uncle works at Nintendo" sort of thing, but.

The Stark direction with Wolves of the North and the next Chapter cycle looks to be very interesting. I might have to set NW aside and break out House Stark. As an aside, huge loving spoiler, FFG. I'm not to that point in the story yet :( AGOT spoiler if you're like me Apparently Ned dies? I don't watch the show and I'm only up to Robb-at-Lord Frey's in the first book

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

To be fair, the first book is 20 years old and the 1st season came out 5 years ago. What's the statute of limitations on spoilers?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I assumed that that particular plot twist reached the same pop culture level as "Aeris dies."

Like you'd be spoiled if you watched the B tier late night shows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BabsgCQhpu4

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

JoshTheStampede posted:

1.0 wasn't really like that though. Valar was definitely defining (I believe only my wildling deck didn't run it), but uniques were still played. For one, you could still save characters so duping was still a thing, on top of other effects. The other thing is that at 2/0/0 (didn't have reserve in 1.0) that's a massive handicap to recovery. So you essentially force your opponent to drop it while you play something high gold/claim and unload on them knowing they're not gonna be able to hit back with much/anything.

And board wipes actually favor strong characters over weenie swarms. Unless someone just lets you set up some unassailable board position with your 2-3 superstars, letting through a bunch of uncontested challenges or tapping your big guys to block shmucks isn't a winning play. That said 1.0 was quite a bit more killy in general.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

If a hero gets killed in LOTR LCG is there any way to get them back? Dwarven Tomb seems like it should but I don't know how you'd actually play them.

(I had to stop myself googling "lotr install hero from heap")

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

There is one Spirit card that does it. Dwarven tomb is not it.

http://www.cardgamedb.com/index.php/lotr/lord-of-the-rings-card-spoiler/_/core/fortune-or-fate-core

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

StashAugustine posted:

If a hero gets killed in LOTR LCG is there any way to get them back? Dwarven Tomb seems like it should but I don't know how you'd actually play them.

(I had to stop myself googling "lotr install hero from heap")

http://www.cardgamedb.com/index.php/lotr/lord-of-the-rings-card-spoiler/_/core/fortune-or-fate-core

Fortune or Fate will. But of course, it's one of the 1-ofs in the Core Set :argh:

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

GrandpaPants posted:

I assumed that that particular plot twist reached the same pop culture level as "Aeris dies."

WHAT?!? :v:

I dunno, guess I just never ran into that particular spoiler. I was just starting to like him, too.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

TheHoosier posted:

WHAT?!? :v:

I dunno, guess I just never ran into that particular spoiler. I was just starting to like him, too.

We all liked him. :(

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

You learn not to like Game of Thrones characters too much.

sexart
Jan 5, 2001

Damn...I know alotta big words
It isn't long before the Chapter Packs are into Book 2 and beyond - I wouldn't be surprised if card art starts spoiling the books itself, let alone card text. If you are playing 2.0 enough that you are looking at future expansion spoilers... read fast, or just power through the TV show. Spoilers are definitely coming my friend.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
He's played by Sean Bean, you know.

Also recommended: Landroval, the eagle that swoops in to save your guy.

But mostly, you just try not to get your heroes killed. Usually it's enough of a setback that you'll lose the quest anyway, even if you can save the hero later, so don't let it happen (unless you've got Landroval).

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

King's Peace has been fully spoiled. Greyjoy gets a really good location destruction card. https://boardgamegeek.com/blog/4547/four-watch

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

TheHoosier posted:

The Stark direction with Wolves of the North and the next Chapter cycle looks to be very interesting. I might have to set NW aside and break out House Stark. As an aside, huge loving spoiler, FFG. I'm not to that point in the story yet :( AGOT spoiler if you're like me Apparently Ned dies? I don't watch the show and I'm only up to Robb-at-Lord Frey's in the first book

How on earth do you not already know this in 2016?! Read faster dude, holy poo poo.

Carteret posted:

To be fair, the first book is 20 years old and the 1st season came out 5 years ago. What's the statute of limitations on spoilers?

Seriously wtf. I could maybe understand a spoiler for the last season, but still that was awhile ago. But the FIRST season? Ned dying? EVERYBODY knows that.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

DontMockMySmock posted:

He's played by Sean Bean, you know.

Also recommended: Landroval, the eagle that swoops in to save your guy.

But mostly, you just try not to get your heroes killed. Usually it's enough of a setback that you'll lose the quest anyway, even if you can save the hero later, so don't let it happen (unless you've got Landroval).

I mostly got really unlucky with Treachery cards, got four that hurt exhausted/committed to quest people and could only block one so there goes Eowyn.

If I was looking to get into an LCG for when I don't feel like playing Netrunner, which of the competitive ones would people recommend, especially when it comes to playing online? I don't really have a huge preference between them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

GrandpaPants posted:

King's Peace has been fully spoiled. Greyjoy gets a really good location destruction card. https://boardgamegeek.com/blog/4547/four-watch

Newly made lord's a reprint. Not sure how it'll fit in with the new Greyjoy themes though since there's no real choke archetype. It's kinda cute with Euron though.

StashAugustine posted:

If I was looking to get into an LCG for when I don't feel like playing Netrunner, which of the competitive ones would people recommend, especially when it comes to playing online? I don't really have a huge preference between them.
I think they all offer something different, but I'd say AGoT is probably the best in terms of having a similar level of competition to Netrunner while having a lot of interplay. I also really like Star Wars but the pods are something people either seem to love or hate. Conquest is also cool, but I think the lack of new planets has started to get really limiting, and in my experience you can easily get into runaway leader situation making it a bit swingy. Tbh I kinda think Netrunner's the worst of their current LCG lineup but I'll admit that's based just on playing through the first deluxe expansion so it may have improved.

I'm also a bit surprised they picked up L5R. Not only does it seem to have a lot of similarities with AGoT but a lot of that game seemed tied up with the lore and whatnot. I really wish they would've picked up VTES; it would've even filled a niche they don't already have (multiplayer LCG).