Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

WickedHate posted:

Hey, we're getting the original numbering back on Action and Detective. Haven't followed those in years but nice, I like that.

Buy this https://www.amazon.com/Superman-Action-Comics-Vol-Beneath/dp/1401254888/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1455836716&sr=8-1&keywords=pak+action+comics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

WickedHate posted:

Because it's also mutually loving. It's weird, sure, but comics are great for exploring concepts like that.

When has he ever showed that he loved her?

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Doesn't matter how much they retcon and not-reboot and not-un-reboot - any DC relaunch with this editorial team is hosed in the long run. They're hopelessly aimless and have no guiding vision for the line; witness the complete 180 shift from last year's continuity-deemphasizing DC YOU relaunch to this.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Barry Convex posted:

Doesn't matter how much they retcon and not-reboot and not-un-reboot - any DC relaunch with this editorial team is hosed in the long run. They're hopelessly aimless and have no guiding vision for the line; witness the complete 180 shift from last year's continuity-deemphasizing DC YOU relaunch to this.

Can you blame them? For all intents and purposes DC YOU was a commercial failure.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Can you blame them? For all intents and purposes DC YOU was a commercial failure.

I've never gotten the feeling you've liked it in the first place, D_T, and yet, you aren't wrong. They're just trying everything because they can't figure out how to do anything right.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.

Barry Convex posted:

Viscerally de-emphasizing continuity, while good for a niche selection of the audience that cares exclusively for the individual quality of books above else, was not an enticing sales pitch for the vast majority of comics addicts who care exclusively about the jigsaw puzzle. The important part of DCYou, and the lesson that needs to be remembered above all else, was putting together an visually interesting and tonally diverse comics line. It remains to be seen if that's what we're getting.

Anyway, DC dropping to like 30 titles is an extremely interesting gambit. Only publishing their core titles in June, even moreso.

I'm very sad to see Midnighter, Son of Batman, and Martian Manhunter go. Glad to see Gotham Academy made it.

Semper Fudge fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Feb 19, 2016

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Obviously, but that failure and this relaunch only a year later are both symptomatic of the same underlying problem.

As someone once said, what a bunch of directionless glad-handers with Ouija boards.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Barry Convex posted:

Yeah, but who gives a gently caress, if we get good books from it? I could give a flying gently caress about how DCYou's doing (which is compounded by the dubiousness of Diamond's numbers). All I know is it got me Constantine: The Hellblazer, Martian Manhunter, Prez, and a whole lot of dope books.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I'll freely admit that the Johns interview did a good job of hyping me up. The editorial problem is still a problem, as Convex said, but Johns does a good job of making it seem like they're approaching it from an artistic perspective.

...:ohdear:

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

ElNarez posted:

Yeah, but who gives a gently caress, if we get good books from it? I could give a flying gently caress about how DCYou's doing (which is compounded by the dubiousness of Diamond's numbers). All I know is it got me Constantine: The Hellblazer, Martian Manhunter, Prez, and a whole lot of dope books.

Which I read a bunch of. My point isn't that DC is incapable of making good comics.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Yeah. If looking at it holistically can only bring out cynicism, forget about whatever Didio, Lee and Johns have to say and just take the announcements on a book by book basis. I'm sure there'll be at least a couple neat as hell ones despite whatever's going on. There always is.

Like, I can't look at DC since 2011 as a disastrous failure when a good number of the best comics I've ever read were born out of it.
Convergence was all good for me cause of two Shazam issues and Lois and Clark.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Feb 19, 2016

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
Here's the lineup of all the books in REBIRTH:

quote:

June:
Rebirth Specials:
AQUAMAN REBIRTH #1
BATMAN REBIRTH #1
THE FLASH REBIRTH #1
GREEN ARROW REBIRTH #1
GREEN LANTERNS REBIRTH #1
SUPERMAN REBIRTH #1
TITANS REBIRTH #1
WONDER WOMAN REBIRTH #1

New #1 Issues (Shipping twice monthly):
AQUAMAN #1
BATMAN #1
THE FLASH #1
GREEN ARROW #1
GREEN LANTERNS #1
SUPERMAN #1
WONDER WOMAN #1

New Issues (Shipping twice monthly):
ACTION COMICS #957
DETECTIVE COMICS #934

July
Rebirth Specials:
BATGIRL & THE BIRDS OF PREY REBIRTH #1
HAL JORDAN & THE GREEN LANTERN CORPS REBIRTH #1
THE HELLBLAZER REBIRTH #1
JUSTICE LEAGUE REBIRTH #1
NIGHTWING REBIRTH #1
RED HOOD & THE OUTLAWS REBIRTH #1

HAL JORDAN & THE GREEN LANTERN CORPS #1
JUSTICE LEAGUE #1
NIGHTWING #1

New #1 Issues (Shipping monthly):
BATGIRL #1
BATGIRL & THE BIRDS OF PREY #1
THE HELLBLAZER #1
RED HOOD & THE OUTLAWS #1
THE SUPER-MAN #1
TITANS #1

Fall
Rebirth Specials:
BATMAN BEYOND REBIRTH #1
BLUE BEETLE REBIRTH #1
CYBORG REBIRTH #1
DEATHSTROKE REBIRTH #1
EARTH 2 REBIRTH #1
SUICIDE SQUAD REBIRTH #1
SUPERGIRL REBIRTH #1
TEEN TITANS REBIRTH #1
TRINITY REBIRTH #1

CYBORG #1
DEATHSTROKE #1
HARLEY QUINN #1
JUSTICE LEAGUE AMERICA #1
SUICIDE SQUAD #1

New #1 Issues (Shipping monthly):
BATMAN BEYOND #1
BLUE BEETLE #1
EARTH 2 #1
GOTHAM ACADEMY: NEXT SEMESTER #1
SUPERGIRL #1
SUPERWOMAN #1
SUPER SONS #1
TEEN TITANS #1
TRINITY #1

Full reveal with creative teams will be on March 26, at Wondercon, with a livestream on Youtube

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

I count 17 double shipping titles and 15 monthly titles. That's a lot of double shipping.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

They're going to try and ship Cyborg twice monthly? Who on the face of the planet is going to want to buy a Cyborg book twice a month?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

RED HOOD & THE OUTLAWS REBIRTH

DT, is there a blood sacrifice you're responsible for? You can tell us.

e: Ugh. We gotta wait on creatives till March 26th?

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Feb 19, 2016

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I guess you can afford to drop the price on all your books when over half of your whole line is double shipped. Get ready for better stories but worse art.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
Is Deathstroke real good and I just never see people talking about it, or is there some other reason it's a double monthly book?

Really hope the new Batman Beyond is with Terry again. It's not that he's such an amazing character I love but the world of Batman Beyond just feels so soulless with the main character the world was build around dead.

I was expecting to be disappointed by Rebirth's launch titles (no Midnighter, Dr Fate (which wasn't great but I wanted to be good), We Are Robin, etc) but I still see a fair number of books I'll be looking forward to.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Johns is speaking my language. If they can bring back that feeling of legacy and stick to a $2.99 price point ($1.99 if I sit back on Comixology), I'll be a happy camper.

Bring on the Tom King books!
Edit: that's what I get for typing this out slowly on my phone. I... hope Blue Beetle's good?
*goes back to Valiant thread, celebrates smarter editorial and higher overall quality*

Space Fish fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Feb 19, 2016

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Teenage Fansub posted:

Yeah. If looking at it holistically can only bring out cynicism, forget about whatever Didio, Lee and Johns have to say and just take the announcements on a book by book basis. I'm sure there'll be at least a couple neat as hell ones despite whatever's going on. There always is.

Like, I can't look at DC since 2011 as a disastrous failure when a good number of the best comics I've ever read were born out of it. Convergence was all good for me cause of two Shazam issues and Lois and Clark.
I don't mean to be a dick, but are two issues of Shazam and that Lois and Clark mini-series really some of the best comics you've ever read?

I can look at DC since 2011 (or really since 2006 or so) as a disastrous failure both commercially and creatively because there are lots and lots of really great comics out there and DC has produced a very small number of them in the past ten years, but have produced mountains of hilarious dreck that is exceptional because it's coming out of a company with access to a huge talent pool, a huge depth of IP, and a multinational corporation behind it. I'm not saying none of their comics have been good, but their batting average is pretty terrible. I don't try to argue that actually the Royals were actually a pretty great team in the 1990s and I shouldn't be negative about their eighteen consecutive losing seasons because once I saw Bret Saberhagen pitch a no hitter and that was pretty cool, potentially the greatest game of baseball ever played.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The Super Man is a Brian Azzarello book about Lex Luthor becoming the most powerful superhero on the planet. Sign me up for that one.

Superwoman is about Lois Lane with Superman's powers, written by Meredith Finch. Hard pass on that.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Very curious about The Super Man and Super Sons.

Maybe Lois and Clark Supes and his son?

/\ That's probably it, looking at the cover for JL #51

I think Rich Bleedingcool was speculating The Super Man would be based on this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Reign_of_the_Superman which would be nuts. Maybe the good kind of nuts.

Edge & Christian posted:

I don't mean to be a dick, but are two issues of Shazam and that Lois and Clark mini-series really some of the best comics you've ever read?

Shazam, yes. I'm just saying they're comics in the fallout out of that bad event that make those two months worth while to me.
I am just talking personally. I've managed to read good comics this whole time, so I can't look back with much regret.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Feb 19, 2016

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

First creative teams being "announced" at ComicsPro apparently.

Brian Azzarello and Inaki Miranda on The Super-Man, a Lex Luthor title.

Meredith Finch and Tony Kondos on Superwoman, a Lois Lane title.

Semper Fudge fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Feb 19, 2016

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Semper Fudge posted:

First creative teams being "announced" at ComicsPro apparently.

Brian Azzarello and Inaki Miranda on The Super-Man, a Lex Luthor title.

Meredith Finch and Tony Kondos on Superwoman, a Lois Lane title.

TK must be a complete new guy as I can't find a thing about him anywhere.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

"SUPERWOMAN #1
Written by MEREDITH FINCH
Art by TONY KONDOS
Cover by BEN OLIVER
Variant cover by AMANDA CONNER

With her life changed forever, Lois Lane leaves the Daily Planet behind to become a full time superhero but how will the Pre-Flashpoint Lois Lane feel about Lois using her husband’s powers?"

If the Lois and Clark concept is sticking around, it's a safe bet nothing's being wiped.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Teenage Fansub posted:

"SUPERWOMAN #1

And boom, like that Superwoman went from the book I'm most curious about to not at all interested.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

I'd like to know what exactly it was about her Wonder Woman that made them think they needed to keep Meredith Finch on as a writer.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Dunbar posted:

I'd like to know what exactly it was about her Wonder Woman that made them think they needed to keep Meredith Finch on as a writer.

She's the wife of """A-List artist"""David Finch.

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx
If Blue Beetle stars Ted Kord and is written by Geoff Johns DC gets all of my money!

Teenage Fansub posted:

"SUPERWOMAN #1
Art by TONY KONDOS
Cover by BEN OLIVER

With her life changed forever, Lois Lane leaves the Daily Planet behind to become a full time superhero but how will the Pre-Flashpoint Lois Lane feel about Lois using her husband’s powers?"

If the Lois and Clark concept is sticking around, it's a safe bet nothing's being wiped.

This is one of those books thats going to get cancelled after 6 issues. DC must realize this.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Eh apparently those solicits are fake and Rich is an idiot.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Teenage Fansub posted:

"SUPERWOMAN #1
Art by TONY KONDOS
Cover by BEN OLIVER

So Post Flashpoint Lois gets Pre Flashpoint Superman's powers (he probably dead) and that Lois is pissed off I guess?

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
don't give it much thought

because rich johnston sure as poo poo didn't

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

DrProsek posted:

Is Deathstroke real good and I just never see people talking about it, or is there some other reason it's a double monthly book?
At first it was written and drawn by Tony Daniel, then after six issues Tony Daniel took on a co-writer primarily known for writing Tomb Raider and similar books at Top Cow while still drawing the book, then after a few months Daniel stopped drawing it and a parade of fill-in artists took over, then as of a couple of months ago Tony Daniel stopped co-writing it too.

It sells not very well, but better than most books that don't have a Batman or Superman character in them, plus Deathstroke is on a TV show.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Edge & Christian posted:

At first it was written and drawn by Tony Daniel, then after six issues Tony Daniel took on a co-writer primarily known for writing Tomb Raider and similar books at Top Cow while still drawing the book, then after a few months Daniel stopped drawing it and a parade of fill-in artists took over, then as of a couple of months ago Tony Daniel stopped co-writing it too.

It sells not very well, but better than most books that don't have a Batman or Superman character in them, plus Deathstroke is on a TV show.

Deathstroke actually has been pulled from that TV show and probably won't return.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Teenage Fansub posted:

RED HOOD & THE OUTLAWS REBIRTH

DT, is there a blood sacrifice you're responsible for? You can tell us.

e: Ugh. We gotta wait on creatives till March 26th?

Oh yeeeeeeah!!!!!

RHATO lives again! :dance:

Most likely without Roy though :smith:

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

New OP under construction

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Oh poo poo I somehow un-bookmarked this thread. What'd I miss?

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

X-O posted:

Deathstroke actually has been pulled from that TV show and probably won't return.

Wait what? I bet WB is hungry for that Deadpool money. I expect him to show up in Suicide Squad.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Alucard Nacirema posted:

Wait what? I bet WB is hungry for that Deadpool money. I expect him to show up in Suicide Squad.

Manu Bennett was unhappy with the way the show was written in season 3, and especially with his character's appearance.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Rebirth sounds cool but ultimately is meaningless without knowing creative teams.

Also the Joker loving sucks now and Harley's basically a good guy, you can't have a good guy be trapped in an abusive relationship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Manu Bennett was unhappy with the way the show was written in season 3, and especially with his character's appearance.

Huh, any links for that? I really enjoyed his season and am curious what his thoughts were on it.

Edge & Christian posted:

True, looking at the sales numbers it's roughly on par with New Suicide Squad, Starfire, and Superman American Alien. Not fantastic but relative to DC that's actually not bad.

E:

Travis343 posted:

Rebirth sounds cool but ultimately is meaningless without knowing creative teams.

Yeah, I don't think there any point in even announcing "DC will do books for all major JLers plus a JL book", we already know they will. All we need to know for that is who's making it. Same with the totally new books like Superwoman and Blue Beetle.

• Locked thread