Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

ToastyPotato posted:

Watching gameplay, the heating pipes look pretty damned lame.

Did you like laying water pipes? Well if you do you'll love this exciting exact gameplay but with a red pipe.

e. double post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Fishbus posted:

Boy i sure do love all these big name gamerz streams on twitch with their generic brand grid pattern cities. Really shows how nice the game looks (hint: it looks great anyway, snow owns)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ub_WtENagWE This isn't bad if you hate grids.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Is the snow texture dynamic on terrain and such, too? Because if it is I bet the devs just said 'gently caress it, seasons are a bitch on resources so just let them mod it in so those with good enough computers can use it and those who don't can't complain to us about it not working'.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Fishbus posted:

Boy i sure do love all these big name gamerz streams on twitch with their generic brand grid pattern cities. Really shows how nice the game looks (hint: it looks great anyway, snow owns)

I make grid cities because I am creatively stunted when it comes to building cities. :(

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
Someone posted this on Simtropolis about chirper:

quote:

I know, right? That stupid chirpy is clearly a sign of immaturity and chased me away from this game. Even with an addon to kill that stupid bird, I still could not come to a good conscience when playing this game with such a stupid "feature" in it.

cerror
Feb 11, 2008

I have a bad feeling about this...

Metrication posted:

Chirper owns. gently caress the haters.

Also, re: grids. I've been firing up google earth and looking at some real life not-grid-cities for examples. Paris seems like a pretty good place to model a non-grid city on, while still maintaining mostly straight roads if one is bad at curvy ones.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Metrication posted:

I think I can spot the clear sign of immaturity there.

The chirper is useless though. drat thing is just pointless spam.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
There's a big split between SC4 curmudgeons who see the 32bit love of their life slowly fade away ("no! Its alive! Look at all these curved road pieces that just got added!!!!!) and people who were all in on C:S' new hotness but are now as frustrated with its devs as anyone ever was with Maxis. Single-genre communities lol.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Quill18 is running this mod that shows more detail on needs, any idea what it is?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Doesn't he have a list of mods in the video description?

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

CascadeBeta posted:

I make grid cities because I am creatively stunted when it comes to building cities. :(

It's not I don't think they're wrong, it's just that they show a literal field of grids in the game, I just would expect these huge streams to maybe play about a bit with more esoteric stuff and show how flexible the game can be with curvy roads and even traffic hellscapes, ya know, to entice people.
Or maybe the ploy all along was to get people really agitated and go "man, i can do way better than this guy, I'm gonna buy the game and prove me right!".

Anyway the really smaller streams have some really cool designs and people, etc. I don't get these big streamers at all because they're so similar

comaerror posted:

Also, re: grids. I've been firing up google earth and looking at some real life not-grid-cities for examples. Paris seems like a pretty good place to model a non-grid city on, while still maintaining mostly straight roads if one is bad at curvy ones.

Not only Chirper owns, its inception story is :3: as heck.

If the only thing that got me annoyed with chirper was the frequency of repeating messages. I recommend the reddit chirper addon that just scours reddit for random posts

Fishbus fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Feb 18, 2016

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Elendil004 posted:

Quill18 is running this mod that shows more detail on needs, any idea what it is?

I'm pretty sure it's this mod: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=414469593&searchtext=extended+building

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Since the update hosed all the mods and poo poo i'll probably never be able to go back to this city so have a few screens in memoriam

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Yes, that's the one.
Protip on that mod: if you hover over a category (fire, health, etc) it'll show you raw numbers (e.g. 16/60).

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Poil posted:

Doesn't he have a list of mods in the video description?

He was like "hey ill scroll through my list so just pause and look at what I have" but I knew a goon would know it right away. Thanks.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
I've been wanting a good sim game since SC3k stopped being compatible with OSX, but I couldn't get into Sim City 4 when I played it because it felt like there was too much microsimulation. Since it's on sale today, is this game more macro like 3000--lay down some pipes and wires, make sure they're receiving water and power, connect your roads, and you're good to go--or am I gonna have to manage simulated traffic pathing? I'm not okay with the latter.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Traffic management is probably the biggest part of this game, in my experience.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

The White Dragon posted:

I've been wanting a good sim game since SC3k stopped being compatible with OSX, but I couldn't get into Sim City 4 when I played it because it felt like there was too much microsimulation. Since it's on sale today, is this game more macro like 3000--lay down some pipes and wires, make sure they're receiving water and power, connect your roads, and you're good to go--or am I gonna have to manage simulated traffic pathing? I'm not okay with the latter.

Then you are not okay with Skylines. You're going to have to find another city builder or get used to traffic simulation.

Perhaps Tropico 4? Yes it has agents and traffic but unless you're intentionally trying to gently caress it up, it's pretty hard to actually create traffic issues in that game since 80% of the people just walk wherever.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

It comes from the people who made Cities in Motion, which, unsurprising given the title, is a game all about traffic management. Skylines goes towards a broader city-builder sort of game, but its roots are in traffic management stuff.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Cool, thanks. Too bad, but what can you do?

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

Ofaloaf posted:

It comes from the people who made Cities in Motion, which, unsurprising given the title, is a game all about traffic management. Skylines goes towards a broader city-builder sort of game, but its roots are in traffic management stuff.

It wasn't really about traffic management though. CiM was more about establishing transit lines running around pointlessly on claustrophobic maps. CiM2 was more of the same, but with confusing timetables and other idiosyncrasies that over-complicated things and added nothing worthwhile to gameplay. It also took away modding, which was the only thing that kept CiM somewhat interesting, while offering half-arsed DLC packs containing a few badly designed vehicles. In CiM2 traffic management boiled down to demolishing highway off-ramps.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I wouldn't say that the traffic simulation requires all that micromanagement - that comes from setting up transportation lines. You can get by without really using any public transit, but if you aren't interested in setting up bus routes then this game is better off skipped.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

The White Dragon posted:

Cool, thanks. Too bad, but what can you do?

Ask about traffic mods for Skylines?? I'm just getting back to this game after six months off, so I don't know the latest and greatest, but others might. Then you might enjoy the game. And remember, you can get a refund from Steam before two weeks or two hours, whichever comes first.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

I mean this game is also just free to play all weekend so it's not like there's any harm in just trying it.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Just watch some videos of people playing to get an idea of the game.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

What's the difference between the standard and the deluxe versions of C:S? I see that the upgrade to Deluxe is on sale right now, but I can't seem to find any info on what it offers.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
It gives you the Soundtrack and some real world monuments. Unless you really want an Eiffel Tower or Statue of Liberty, skip it.

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

deluxe is pointless paff. If you want bang for your buck or support the devs get one of the dlcs. Snowfall seems the more favoured one.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
Status update: Upgrading to dedicated heating is a great way to bankrupt your city.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

comaerror posted:

Washington DC is good for this as well.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

CascadeBeta posted:

Status update: Upgrading to dedicated heating is a great way to bankrupt your city.

Depends. If you're using green energy (i.e. the standard massive clusterfuck of offshore turbines) then using central heating is more efficient. If you're using dirty energy like oil and coal where you have plenty leftover to spare, go ahead and ignore heating on snow maps until you're past the point of caring about money.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Even though I always play with infinite money, my cash flow is always well in the positive other than the initial city layout. Even after spamming services to make fussy office idiots happy and massively over-building my water and power systems so I never have to worry about them ever again.

It's just those first few thousand people that are the lean times, after that money becomes almost meaningless. Transit fares can also be a huuuuge source of income too. Sometimes I think a lot of people that are having trouble with money aren't milking transit as much as they could (or ignoring it almost all together to just build more highways). They take cars off the road, saving you money, and bring in a lot. On a few cities transit was about as big of an income as any single zone type. Often my transit income would be bigger than my actual monthly flow, meaning without it I'd be in the red.

Also don't be afraid to raise taxes. I think 10% is safe without any complaints. Taxes seem to be a binary happy/unhappy thing, so as long as you are not getting tax complaint icons above buildings you're golden.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Alkydere posted:

Depends. If you're using green energy (i.e. the standard massive clusterfuck of offshore turbines) then using central heating is more efficient. If you're using dirty energy like oil and coal where you have plenty leftover to spare, go ahead and ignore heating on snow maps until you're past the point of caring about money.

It turned out that it was a combination of one of my coal power plants suddenly deciding it didn't have enough coal, and I couldn't seem to get another a truck of coal to spawn. So that city's a wash because I don't really feel like spending a bunch of time in infinite money mode to fix the problem.

In other news, what causes industry to arbitrarily decide that they don't have enough workers? It seems to happen like clockwork with any city I play that right around the third or fourth land expansion, "Not enough workers!" pops up across the entire industry and some commercial. I do have an elementary school and a high school for most of the residential, are my Cims just too well educated?

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Fans posted:

It gives you the Soundtrack and some real world monuments. Unless you really want an Eiffel Tower or Statue of Liberty, skip it.

Fishbus posted:

deluxe is pointless paff. If you want bang for your buck or support the devs get one of the dlcs. Snowfall seems the more favoured one.

Ah, right on. I already have the first DLC, I'll probably grab Snowfall as well.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
I have yet to play the new update, but would it be possible to elevate the trams? Any examples?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Fishbus posted:

Not only Chirper owns, its inception story is :3: as heck.

If the only thing that got me annoyed with chirper was the frequency of repeating messages. I recommend the reddit chirper addon that just scours reddit for random posts

Chirper's great in theory, but it needs some UI improvements. It needs to be in a less obtrusive place, let you minimise to a news feed in the bar, and colour chirps by whether they're relevant or flavortext.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

OSI bean dip posted:

I have yet to play the new update, but would it be possible to elevate the trams? Any examples?

Trams are pretty cool but nothing really amazing, which is fine.

Argentic
Apr 21, 2007

Is there any consensus on the Realistic Population and Consumption Mod? I picked it up a while ago because some posters were really excited about it, but I haven't heard much about it since then and I don't think it's been on any of the recent "what mods are good?" lists. I like the idea of larger buildings actually having more population/jobs, but I'm feeling sort of skeptical about the mechanical changes. Is it good, or is it one of those "let's ruin the gameplay in the name of realism" mods?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

CascadeBeta posted:

In other news, what causes industry to arbitrarily decide that they don't have enough workers? It seems to happen like clockwork with any city I play that right around the third or fourth land expansion, "Not enough workers!" pops up across the entire industry and some commercial. I do have an elementary school and a high school for most of the residential, are my Cims just too well educated?
If you click on an industry building it'll show you how many jobs it offers in each education tier, and how many of those are filled. Take a look at those numbers for a few buildings, it might give a clue. Or it might not.

Also, if you don't know, if you "level up" generic industry it will call for more educated workers, to a point.

edit: also use the population button in the the top left menu (the icon of a person under the mask for crime) to show what I consider to be the most important city statistic, unemployment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZoeDomingo
Nov 12, 2009
I was playing earlier with no problems. I quit to eat some dinner, and when I went back, I couldn't load my city. The loading screen gets stuck about halfway. I can start a new city fine, although I got some weird error message: "Method not found: 'NetSegment.GetLeftAndRightLanes..." I've tried restarting my computer and disabling the most recent mods I got (which I was able to play with earlier today), but no luck so far. I have not purchased the Snowfall DLC, but I'm wondering if there was some other basic update that happened today that might have caused this. Any ideas?