Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Predator has had exactly 1 noteworthy game and thats Concrete Jungle. Some of the ideas are a little half-baked, but the Predator is super fun to play and he's got a lot of entertaining gear and abilities that make you feel like a badass, and the game actually tries to make the Predator into an actual character, which is extremely rare in the Predator EU.

I'd love a modern sequel/remake, just straight up GTA: Predator.

I hooked up my Sega Genesis over the weekend and tried the Predator2 game for the first time in ages, and it is 90s as hell. You run around blasting gang members, who drop drug paraphernalia as score pickups (no, seriously). Every once in a while the Predator's tri-laser sight will pop up on the screen and blast a random bad guy (and it's surprisingly gory. Like, gorier than the movie), but the more you kill gang members, the more the Predator's attention shifts to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Lady Naga posted:

Aliens as a game franchise hit the same snag Star Wars did very early on in their lifespans where no one has done anything unique or interesting with the IP, but instead use it as a pre-packaged setting to put your already designed product in. Isolation comes the closest to actually replicating the source material but it's still just a slightly tweaked Amnesia-like.

Isolation is really good, though. "Amnesia with production values" is not that bad an idea, as all Amnesia has going for it is its production values to begin with.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Lady Naga posted:

Aliens as a game franchise hit the same snag Star Wars did very early on in their lifespans where no one has done anything unique or interesting with the IP, but instead use it as a pre-packaged setting to put your already designed product in. Isolation comes the closest to actually replicating the source material but it's still just a slightly tweaked Amnesia-like.

It seems like replicating the source material would be the opposite of doing something unique with the IP.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Xenomrph posted:

Predator has had exactly 1 noteworthy game and thats Concrete Jungle.

Ahem. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBzeba_J2N8

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I never played the 2000 Alien vs Predator PC game, worth paying five bucks for on Steam?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I never played the 2000 Alien vs Predator PC game, worth paying five bucks for on Steam?

The multiplayer was the real draw of that game so I'm not sure its worth it without that. Of course maybe I'm dumb to assume there isn't still an active community playing a 15 year old AvP game...

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Yes, absolutely. The Marine campaign is scary as gently caress, especially on higher difficulties. The game spawns a random number of enemies and lets them loose in the air vents, and lets their path finding AI make their way to you on their own, so they can drop in on you anywhere and at any time. The Aliens move absurdly fast and deal crazy damage, and acid blood is a motherfucker on the higher difficulty settings. It's tense as hell.

Playing as the Alien and Predator are more of over-the-top power fantasies, especially the Alien which is a crazy fast whirlwind of death that can cling to walls and kill humans in one hit.

All three races really play very differently from each other. The Marine is a glass cannon with a lot of rapid fire weapons, the Predator is more of a tank with very deliberate single-fire weapons that hit very hard, and the Alien is extremely fast, melee only, and can climb on walls.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Basebf555 posted:

The multiplayer was the real draw of that game so I'm not sure its worth it without that. Of course maybe I'm dumb to assume there isn't still an active community playing a 15 year old AvP game...

I played it a couple of years ago and yea there were still people playing

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
Goddamn was that game intense. I never got that far in it because I'd always get super stressed out.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

It would probably be easier to fight an actual Alien than someone who has been playing a competitive multiplayer game for fifteen years.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Sir Kodiak posted:

It would probably be easier to fight an actual Alien than someone who has been playing a competitive multiplayer game for fifteen years.
"Unclouded by conscience, remorse, or delusions of morality."

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
that game is the reason why I am to facehuggers what Indiana Jones is to snakes

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
the thing about facehuggers in AVP1 (possibly 2?) is, they're almost impossible to see because they are tiny, they are very difficult to hit for the same reason, they move fast as hell, and when one attacks you, it's a one hit kill accompanied by that loving screech (which is one of the loudest sound effects in the entire game iirc) and 5 pounds of alien dick-mouth waving around on your entire screen

the early levels are not overly dickish with them, but at a certain point the devs realized they had access to an instant poo poo-your-pants button and started putting them everyfuckingwhere

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That sound is forever in my brain.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I had the most fun in the marine campaign when you had to run around the human base. Releasing the predator was fun. Then I was too scared to play more. The alien campaign was awesome as hell.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
The first time I played AvP it took me ten minutes of panic at every blip on my sensor to actually encounter my first alien. It was at the end of a long corridor and bulleting towards me. I blast it with a burst of rifle fire and was rewarded with a gross popping noise and bits flying off.

Except it turns out I had just blown both of its arms off, and it kept coming, got up in my face and started biting me while I freaked out and unloaded on it, covering myself with acid. AvP rules, try it out.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

computer parts posted:

It seems like replicating the source material would be the opposite of doing something unique with the IP.

Unique as in "does something similar in tone and gameplay to the film" instead of "make a regular arcade beat 'em up but instead of gross thugs it's aliens".

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Lady Naga posted:

Unique as in "does something similar in tone and gameplay to the film" instead of "make a regular arcade beat 'em up but instead of gross thugs it's aliens".

There was an Alien game for the C64/Spectrum etc. where you have a map of the Nostromo and have to manage where everyone is and what stuff they have (and you can even track Jones :D) to complete the plan of flushing the Alien out the airlock, it's actually pretty tense and cool. But some of the tension goes away when the Alien kills one of the crew. There's an animation of the Alien....just sort of sitting around chilling out? His claw is a bit animated, but instead of being menacing it literally looks like an old friend offering you a drink or something, it's amazing.

I will say though, unlike a lot of franchises Alien actually has several very good games based on it that attempt to capture the feel of the movies in different ways.

Predator though...you think the Predator games are bad? Check out the Predator 2 games, holy poo poo. I've played every single Alien/Predator/AvP game a lot and the three Predator 2 games are mega bad, the computer one is among the worst games I've ever played.

The VERY first Predator game was actually not the NES one, but rather for the Atari ST and some other computers. It's actually not bad as a game for those systems. It's a very simple run and gun game where you periodically have to dodge the Predator's iconic crosshairs (I think this was actually the first video game ever made where you have to do such a thing) before eventually confronting the Predator at the end.

I should write a book about every alien/predator/avp game.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I also really like the 2001 AVP2 game. The Marine part did not have the random alien spawns from the original that would scare the poo poo out of you, but I thought the story was pretty cool. And the way all three SP campaigns were the same story, from different points of view. I remember I bought a new graphics card in 2001, just to be able to play this.

poo poo, I may still have it in a box in my closet. I doubt it will run on Windows 7 x64 though.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I'm not sure on Win7 x64, but it definitely runs on x32, I did a Lets Play of it several years ago.

The game hasn't aged that well, to be honest. The AI is too predictable, all the scary parts are scripted, and I just don't find it nearly as much fun to replay as AvPClassic.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Still the multiplayer holds up better than AvP 2010 though to me. Lots of maps where the lighting can be messed with so everyone has to constantly be taking advantage of their different vision modes to survive.

The worst thing about the single player is that in the marine game due to bad scripting the "Oh no an alien has lunged at you!" action music will often start a few seconds before the alien pops out. There is also a situation where depending on your monitor hiding aliens are fully visible, though between monitor/game settings that can usually be fixed. I wasn't so lucky back in the day though.

It'd be cool if this new Predator flick inspires a good stand alone game.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Feb 18, 2016

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Neo Rasa posted:

It'd be cool if this new Predator flick inspires a good stand alone game.

Predator would be perfect for the typical open-world sandbox collectathon that has been popular for a while now.

It could be similar to GTA or the Arkham games, in that normal people and regular cops are just cannon fodder, but the resistance escalates until there's choppas and special ops teams after you and all that.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Basebf555 posted:

Predator would be perfect for the typical open-world sandbox collectathon that has been popular for a while now.

Going on fifteen years now.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Going on fifteen years now.

Jesus, GTA3 is fifteen years old this year. gently caress me, I'm getting old.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Neo Rasa posted:

There was an Alien game for the C64/Spectrum etc. where you have a map of the Nostromo and have to manage where everyone is and what stuff they have (and you can even track Jones :D) to complete the plan of flushing the Alien out the airlock, it's actually pretty tense and cool. But some of the tension goes away when the Alien kills one of the crew. There's an animation of the Alien....just sort of sitting around chilling out? His claw is a bit animated, but instead of being menacing it literally looks like an old friend offering you a drink or something, it's amazing.

Haha, are you talking about this? I think this is supposed to be "Alien poised and ready to strike" and I probably would have saw it as such but after your description I can't help but think that it's just sitting on the couch scratching its leg and being all "sup?" Also it looks like it's wearing pants.

EDIT: That said, it's actually remarkable how much of their creepiness the alien creatures are able to retain even in pixelated 80s videogame form.

^I mean, even if you had no idea about the Alien movies you can still tell that whatever those things are, they are some particularly nasty mofos.

And with just a little bit more fidelity you get the Bitch in all her glory!

lizardman fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Feb 19, 2016

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Basebf555 posted:

It could be similar to GTA or the Arkham games, in that normal people and regular cops are just cannon fodder, but the resistance escalates until there's choppas and special ops teams after you and all that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Predator:_Concrete_Jungle

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Concrete Jungle isnt really open world. Its very much one of those on rails open world type games thats more the illusion of going anywhere.

The PS2 RTS game is actually kinda fun if you can deal with the lovely controls. The marine campaign is cool and lets you dropship in reinforcements and you can control reg marines/smart gunners/droids/flamethrower dudes/ sentry turrets. The Alien one lets you grab dudes and drag them back to your lair and you put eggs near them to get facehugged and you can turn chestbursters into warriors or drones or whatever type of alien you need. The weakest one is the pred campaign as its just basically reskinned marine units with cannons and swords and other crazy pred tech type poo poo but a bunch of predators running around in a group shooting missiles isnt as cool as it would seem.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Concrete Jungle is a weird game. Its a weird hodgepodge of a bunch of weird poo poo crammed into a Predator game. Also, xenomorphs out of nowhere.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I brought that game up earlier. It's got some open world elements, but a lot of it is neutered or watered down. It's still a fun game, though, and I'd love to see a modern game expand on its ideas and be a true open world Predator game.

The RTS game is a cool game crippled by some wacky design choices (no multiplayer, no skirmish mode, console controls). Despite being on a console it still controls well enough, and the three species do handle very differently and have a lot of fun units. Starting out with a single face hugger and gradually creating a massive hive unbeknownst to your opponent and then steamrolling them with a swarm of Aliens is really, really satisfying.

The Marines' super unit is the exo suit from AvP2, and you can upgrade them with a pair of propellant-less 36-barrel Metalstorm systems, and then 2 exo suits standing back to back can hold off infinite Aliens indefinitely, and they're whisper-quiet.

The game is also one of very few EU things to tackle the idea of Predator military technology. Because if the stuff we've seen in the movies is what they use when on casual hunting trips, then what is their wartime "serious business" gear like?
The game answers that, and they've got some ridiculous poo poo. Swarm missile launchers, high powered lasers that make targets spontaneously combust, etc.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Feb 19, 2016

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

lizardman posted:

Haha, are you talking about this? I think this is supposed to be "Alien poised and ready to strike" and I probably would have saw it as such but after your description I can't help but think that it's just sitting on the couch scratching its leg and being all "sup?" Also it looks like it's wearing pants.

Yes! So awesome. :D

That Aliens MSX game is so awful unfortunately. Square really dropped the ball. It does that "thing" a lot of side scrolling action adventure computer games from Japan did where the game world is a huge maze with tons of doors, but you can't easily backtrack because entering a door from one end leads to one spot, but going back into that door often leads to a totally different area. The original Valis and Pack-In Video's mega bad Rambo NES game do this too and it's like the worst thing ever.

The C64 game you put up a shot of is actually pretty decent. There's a different one too on the other computers of the time that is mostly played in the first person. It's vaguely like Space Hulk except you're on a timer where you get an alert of aliens coming so you have to find the right path to get away, then you hunt down and kill one or two at a time. It's very very basic but kind of interesting.

But then those European Aliens games having that sense of urgency was taken to total absurdity with the Alien 3 games (except the SNES version). Basically even if you know EXACTLY what you're doing you have barely enough time to complete a level, it's torture to actually get anywhere in the game. Amusingly it was the subject of PC master race criticism even when it as brand new. I have an old Amiga magazine where the author, not realizing how mediocre it is, talks about how great the action and weapons are in the game but then gives it a low rating because it's an action game made with dumb console gamers in mind and not a graphic adventure that does credit to the more discerning intelligence of the Amiga audience.......lmao

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdCHJWyB0Fo

I'm glad this is in HD so we can all see how terrible it looks in hi def.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
It is.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

It's an original Xbox game so it doesn't have the prettiest graphics, but it's still entertaining to play and it's got a fairly diverse range of missions and things.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Xenomrph posted:

It's an original Xbox game so it doesn't have the prettiest graphics, but it's still entertaining to play and it's got a fairly diverse range of missions and things.

It was multiplat which is why it looks bad, if it was an Xbox exclusive it'd probably look alright. Also no it's still really bad.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Is Concrete Jungle the one which for whatever reason is scripted by Grant Morrison?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Is Concrete Jungle the one which for whatever reason is scripted by Grant Morrison?
I believe it is, which is something I only learned very recently.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
It's really odd. Starts off in 1930 fighting mobsters then you go to the future and fight cyborgs, Xenomrph and other predators.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I remember the Atari Jaguar AvP game being terrifying because it ran like poo poo and had fairly effective sound design. It's a bad game but many a pants were nearly shat crawling around in vents and turning a corner and HOLY poo poo an Alien is right in your face at 15 frames per second.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

A 2D metroid-style maze side-scroller with a huge variety of environment types and lots of different variations of xenomorph...would be cool.

Edit: What was the 16-bit platformer game where the later levels were on a gigeresque nightmare planet? Turrican for Genesis? That was a fun game.

SMERSH Mouth fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Feb 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

SMERSH Mouth posted:

A 2D metroid-style maze side-scroller with a huge variety of environment types and lots of different variations of xenomorph...would be cool
This game exists, it's called Aliens: Infestation for the Nintendo DS.

http://youtu.be/_6tqC6joxdk

It's a little short, and it doesn't let you swap between all of the Marines you've unlocked which is a bit of a shame, but the animations are great and it's a lot of fun.
It was actually intended as a tie-in game to everyone's favorite tire fire, Colonial Marines. The problem is that CM got plagued with delays and overhauls, so there's a bunch of plot elements in Infestation that either don't get a payoff or don't make sense in the context of CM.
Infestation does get points for managing to work in references to one of the rejected Alien3 script drafts, which was pretty neat.