Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

drunken officeparty posted:

1000-1500 tabs at once

You're a bad man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Right click on a tab -> Bookmark all tabs

Then prune the tabs down on what you need and what you don't need. Or just keep them you weird horder that uses 1500 tabs you weirdo.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

dont judge me

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I middle click all links ever and can rarely hit much over 250 without Firefox making GBS threads its pants so congrats there.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I use snap links plus and open links 20 at a time and never manage over 100 or so.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Fangs404 posted:

Firefox is crashing/being slow/acting weird/using a lot of memory. How do I fix it?
  1. Make sure you have the latest version of Firefox and all extensions.
  2. Use https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/plugincheck/ to make sure all plugins are up to date (specifically, ensure Flash is current).
  3. Ensure that you have the latest graphics drivers, you may need to use Beta drivers on AMD cards.
  4. If it's still weird, disable all extensions. If Firefox acts normal with all extensions disabled, re-enable extensions one by one until you determine the culprit.
  5. If it's still weird, check your plugins (plugins are different from extensions!). Try disabling 3rd party extensions (VLC, Flash, Java, etc.).
  6. If it's still weird, try recreating a new profile using the built-in Refresh Firefox feature.
  7. If it's still weird, manually create a new profile.
  8. If it's still weird with a new profile, uninstall and reinstall Firefox.
  9. If it's still weird after doing all of these things, post in this thread.

On Saturday, Firefox just started crashing. Sometimes it will crash after 5 mins. of being idle, other times, it will crash when I open it, then load a webpage, and still other times it will go for hours before crashing.

I've done everything in the above list. All plugins and extentions are up to date, and I also went through all of my Greasemonkey scripts replacing http with https for the forums here.

It's extra weird, because it's only doing it on my desktop, and not my laptop, which I copied my Firefox profile to when I recently clean installed Windows 10 on it.

When I did the uninstall-reinstall step, I instead installed the 64-bit version, v44.0.2. My PC is running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, SP1.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

Kheldarn posted:

On Saturday, Firefox just started crashing. Sometimes it will crash after 5 mins. of being idle, other times, it will crash when I open it, then load a webpage, and still other times it will go for hours before crashing.

I've done everything in the above list. All plugins and extentions are up to date, and I also went through all of my Greasemonkey scripts replacing http with https for the forums here.

It's extra weird, because it's only doing it on my desktop, and not my laptop, which I copied my Firefox profile to when I recently clean installed Windows 10 on it.

When I did the uninstall-reinstall step, I instead installed the 64-bit version, v44.0.2. My PC is running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, SP1.

If you've exhausted that list, it might be a hardware problem. Have you ever run memtest before? Scanned your hard drive for bad sectors?

Lolcano Eruption
Oct 29, 2007
Volcano of LOL.

Kheldarn posted:

Both my work computer and home computer (64 bit Win 7 SP1 Ultimate and Professional, respectively) Firefox started crashing yesterday as well. Was there some kind of update?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Hmm, interesting. I just updated both my main PC and laptop to 44.0.2 and it's rock solid but I'm running 8.1 on both.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Fangs404 posted:

If you've exhausted that list, it might be a hardware problem. Have you ever run memtest before? Scanned your hard drive for bad sectors?

Is there a memtest.exe I can download? Because everything I've found is either an ISO that has to be burned to a disc, or is talking about \boot\memtest...

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Kheldarn posted:

Is there a memtest.exe I can download? Because everything I've found is either an ISO that has to be burned to a disc, or is talking about \boot\memtest...

I think there was some Windows based memory testing tool, but it won't be able to do as thorough test as an offline tester from CD/USB boot can do. Just create a bootable USB stick from Hiren's Boot CD. It will have Memtest+ and harddrive testing tools from several manufacturers among many other tool. It can be useful in all sorts of situations.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I had no end of trouble with late 44 to 45b under Windows 7. It stopped crashing when I moved to 64-bit, but performance took a nosedive and it started to take up huge amounts of RAM.

It's running beautifully under Windows 10, better than it had under 7 for a number of releases.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I hadn't used my desktop in a few days. When I opened Firefox, I was met with a bunch of tabs asking to install extensions from my own computer. I also saw that e.g. SALR was disabled, and even after installing the latest beta and restarting Firefox (even though that's unnecessary), it's still marked as disabled. What the hell happened? I haven't had any problems on my laptop.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

hooah posted:

I hadn't used my desktop in a few days. When I opened Firefox, I was met with a bunch of tabs asking to install extensions from my own computer. I also saw that e.g. SALR was disabled, and even after installing the latest beta and restarting Firefox (even though that's unnecessary), it's still marked as disabled. What the hell happened? I haven't had any problems on my laptop.

It's possible that for some reason Firefox thought your addons weren't installed by you. Try clicking 'Remove' for an addon affected by this, restart Firefox (to clear out some saved extension information that may be corrupted), then install the addon again and see if that works.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I tried that with some, but still had the problem. A complete re-install of Firefox fixed it, though.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Is there a replacement for Context Search that will work with e10s? I've emailed the developer to see if he plans an update but he just ignores me.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Is there a replacement for Context Search that will work with e10s? I've emailed the developer to see if he plans an update but he just ignores me.

I don't use that sort of addon, but does 'Context Search X' do the same thing? That one looks like it's actively updated.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

astral posted:

I don't use that sort of addon, but does 'Context Search X' do the same thing? That one looks like it's actively updated.

I'll give it a go, cheers.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
I use X-Notifier for an extension that lets me have like 4 different emails checked, and which makes it easy to open tabs for multiple gmail accounts without having to sign in and out. But the guy hasn't gotten it signed and at some point that's going to be an issue. Is there either a way to sign someone else's XPI yourself, or another extension to replicate the functionality? The way it makes it so you don't have to sign in and out is that it opens tabs with different sets of cookies available.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

fishmech posted:

I use X-Notifier for an extension that lets me have like 4 different emails checked, and which makes it easy to open tabs for multiple gmail accounts without having to sign in and out. But the guy hasn't gotten it signed and at some point that's going to be an issue. Is there either a way to sign someone else's XPI yourself, or another extension to replicate the functionality? The way it makes it so you don't have to sign in and out is that it opens tabs with different sets of cookies available.

If it's hosted on AMO it should be automatically signed; otherwise you can submit it to AMO for signing. It looks like it's already there, though?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

astral posted:

This extension did the job, thanks a million.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

astral posted:

If it's hosted on AMO it should be automatically signed; otherwise you can submit it to AMO for signing. It looks like it's already there, though?

Well that's nice that it's back on. For a while it was missing from both AMO and the Chrome store because of some issue he had and you could only get updates from his site.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Any idea why uBlock Origin isn't blocking http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/index.html Any idea how I can add this site to my block list?

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Any idea why uBlock Origin isn't blocking http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/index.html Any idea how I can add this site to my block list?

Just add a line consisting of "dailymail.co.uk" to your filters in the uBlock Origin dashboard.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Grim Up North posted:

Just add a line consisting of "dailymail.co.uk" to your filters in the uBlock Origin dashboard.

That seems to block all the CSS stuff or something, I get a web page that looks like 1995. Thoughts?

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

WattsvilleBlues posted:

uBlock would need to read the page to apply it's filters, and as a sane and reasonable browser extension it's not going to do it.

e: without checking their page, I think it's still true that every piece of poo poo button you see isn't actually an ad but an article.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

WattsvilleBlues posted:

That seems to block all the CSS stuff or something, I get a web page that looks like 1995. Thoughts?

Ahaha, I thought you literally wanted to have uBlock prevent you from looking at dailymail.co.uk. Which should have happened.

I'm not sure what you want to have blocked though.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Grim Up North posted:

Ahaha, I thought you literally wanted to have uBlock prevent you from looking at dailymail.co.uk. Which should have happened.

I'm not sure what you want to have blocked though.

70% of the site is like a big frigging advertisement. My pixels :smith:

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Looks like this with my default uMatrix and uBlock settings. I'm not sure why anyone would willingly read this trash though.

Read fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Feb 22, 2016

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Read posted:

Looks like this with my default uMatrix and uBlock settings. I'm not sure why anyone would willingly read this trash though.

Must be uMatrix doing the work there, I just reset my filters and it's still showing the ads. The Daily Mail is pure poo poo, but sometimes politicians write in it so I check it, and the other rags, out.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Should I be using uBlock Origin or Ghostery? I don't really know which is better.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

Should I be using uBlock Origin or Ghostery? I don't really know which is better.

I'd recommend uBlock Origin + enabling Firefox's tracking protection (privacy.trackingprotection.enabled in about :config).

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

This is a huge open door, but uBlock Origin has the massive benefit of blocking ads. Which is something you'll notice. Whereas the benefits of trying to disrupt all the ways you can be tracked are less tangible.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I thought Ghostery did that too?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Boris Galerkin posted:

I thought Ghostery did that too?
It's been a couple of years since I had it installed, but it didn't back then and I figure I'd see it mentioned on their site, or on Wikipedia or on the addon page if that were the case now. So I'm guessing still no.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Ghostery just had a huge update that of course turned off all tracking protection by default.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

jeeves posted:

Ghostery just had a huge update that of course turned off all tracking protection by default.
The settings page is a website now, too :thumbsup:

I reverted back to 5.4.11

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Stop using Ghostery, it's the product of a "market intelligence" company that sells your browsing information to advertisers.You know, spyware.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

astral posted:

I'd recommend uBlock Origin + enabling Firefox's tracking protection (privacy.trackingprotection.enabled in about :config).

Firefox's native tracking protection is like Hulkamania - it only runs wild.

Try uMatrix. Unlike what the dude who made it implied no it doesn't require a drat maths degree just give it a shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Alereon posted:

Stop using Ghostery, it's the product of a "market intelligence" company that sells your browsing information to advertisers.You know, spyware.

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Firefox's native tracking protection is like Hulkamania - it only runs wild.

Try uMatrix. Unlike what the dude who made it implied no it doesn't require a drat maths degree just give it a shot.
Alright then, doing this. Ghostery sucked me in with its default opt-in to tracking and decent interface, but after v6 I can't fall for it anymore.