Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Lyon posted:

I've been reading ISSTH for a while now and wasn't sure if there was a thread on SA to chat about it in. Started down this rabbit hole reading Tales of Demons and Gods which started off great but the last arc has really expanded the world in a way which I am not enjoying... but anyway the translator for TDG moved his site to Wuxia World and I found ISSTH which is by far my favorite. It's ridiculous but very entertaining.

Have you read the whole thing already?
I've read to 1350 or so (out of over 1600 so far), there are a lot of words, much of it sound effects, glittering eyes and flicking sleeves. The cosmology and world building in ISSTH is actually really similar to huge multi-volume epic fantasy like the wheel of time.

It even has proper fantasy tropes like ambiguously worded terms and prophecies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Algid posted:

I've read to 1350 or so (out of over 1600 so far), there are a lot of words, much of it sound effects, glittering eyes and flicking sleeves. The cosmology and world building in ISSTH is actually really similar to huge multi-volume epic fantasy like the wheel of time.

It even has proper fantasy tropes like ambiguously worded terms and prophecies.

I am at chapter 468 (as far as Wuxia World has it translated so far). The final chapter just came out last week or so according to the guy translating it. I am both happy and sad that only 1/4 of it has been translated... looks like we are almost through the totem arc (no idea what section this is officially) as he has Fire, Metal, Wood, and he's halfway to finishing Earth so that just leaves Water I guess. The only downside to most of these stories are that there are always so many lucky coincidences for the protagonist but once you get past that the genre is fun and this is definitely my favorite Xianxia novel so far.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
I'm really enjoying the current location in ISSTH. A partially destroyed ancient space bridge dimension (that appears once every 1000 years) is pretty loving rad! Also you ride orbiting asteroids to get around to different continent-sized chunks. Another example of the setting being both inventive and of ludicrous scale.

I'm curious what will happen with this plotline. The main players seem way out of Meng Hao's league right now.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Lyon posted:

I am at chapter 468 (as far as Wuxia World has it translated so far). The final chapter just came out last week or so according to the guy translating it. I am both happy and sad that only 1/4 of it has been translated... looks like we are almost through the totem arc (no idea what section this is officially) as he has Fire, Metal, Wood, and he's halfway to finishing Earth so that just leaves Water I guess. The only downside to most of these stories are that there are always so many lucky coincidences for the protagonist but once you get past that the genre is fun and this is definitely my favorite Xianxia novel so far.

He already realized that a magical sea of death would be perfect for creating a water totem, so that will keep until the western desert is submerged.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

brainwrinkle posted:

I'm really enjoying the current location in ISSTH. A partially destroyed ancient space bridge dimension (that appears once every 1000 years) is pretty loving rad! Also you ride orbiting asteroids to get around to different continent-sized chunks. Another example of the setting being both inventive and of ludicrous scale.

Yeah, this is what really sets apart ISSTH from other Xianxia in my eyes. Coiling Dragon and Stellar Transformation and all their ilk seem to believe adding 0's to distance measurements is enough to make an interesting world and it's really not. Couple that with timescales that reach absurdity and it all just becomes a morass of incomprehensible numbers and samey places.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
Speaking of Xianxia that stands out from the pack, I cannot promote My Disciple Died Yet Again enough. The translations has picked up again, and we're nearing the end of the third reincarnation. Things are about to get REALLY good.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Serious Frolicking posted:

He already realized that a magical sea of death would be perfect for creating a water totem, so that will keep until the western desert is submerged.

Honestly once he became the sacred ancient for the tribe I thought he was going to create his water tattoo with the violet rain and that would provide immunity to the tribe and they would just survive in/near the sea but then they did this whole bridge of immortals thing.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
He had help generating his first two totems, and for his third he had an amazing source material. Doing it from scratch on his own seems a lot more difficult.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

His title is pretty much literally "godfather", it kept a smile on my face for the entire western desert arc.

What are the wolves called by the way? Their names are pretty much fluffy #x in Chinese.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

Algid posted:

His title is pretty much literally "godfather", it kept a smile on my face for the entire western desert arc.

What are the wolves called by the way? Their names are pretty much fluffy #x in Chinese.

Hairy 1-5

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Lyon posted:

The only downside to most of these stories are that there are always so many lucky coincidences for the protagonist but once you get past that the genre is fun and this is definitely my favorite Xianxia novel so far.

I'm more than willing to overlook the overpowered protagonist cliche because Meng Hao is the best protagonist ever.

I Shall Seal The Heavens posted:

“If I don’t keep grabbing stuff until my hands cramp, then my name isn’t Meng Hao!” he said, his eyes gleaming as he wrenched up a floor tile.

All the best scenes in ISSTH involve Meng Hao stealing other people's poo poo (and other people's reactions to him stealing all their poo poo):

The Spirit Pill Sprint, the Raindragon Hunt, Monster Mountain and the Bag of the Cosmos, the Iron Spear Auction, Salary Negotiations with Patriarch Reliance, Meeting the Meat Jelly, the Primordial Heavenly Replenishing Pill, the Million Spirit Stone giveaway and Church of Golden Light Annual Charity Marathon, the Crow Divinity Holy Land Fishing Excursion, and now Meng Hao's Extreme Home Makeover (in Space!).

He earned every single one of his absurdly powerful magic items by being an audacious kleptomaniac wizard.

Avulsion fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Feb 16, 2016

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
The blood divinity thing was the opposite from usual. Meng Hao was the chosen one there, with someone else trying to subvert the entire process to swipe it for himself.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

The blood divinity thing was the opposite from usual. Meng Hao was the chosen one there, with someone else trying to subvert the entire process to swipe it for himself.

The criteria for becoming the "Chosen One" was to be such an incredible rear end in a top hat that sky tries to murder you, and was a direct result of his earlier activities.

The Gold Core Tribulation was also great, not just because of the murder and stealing that was going on at the time, but also because of all the lightning gags leading up to the grand finale, and all the "What the gently caress is wrong with this guy?!" reactions from everyone around him.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

The reason behind heavenly tribulations turn out to be pretty hilarious. This is pretty much already mostly spelled out, it just gets stated outright in future chapters. Basically some tribulations are natural tests administered by the world to see if you're badass enough to get your next powerup, but lords have limited administrative rights over the mountain-sea realm (meant to act as a defense mechanism for the realm mostly) and a bunch of things probably got forbidden because some lords wanted to kill off possible competition.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Avulsion posted:

I'm more than willing to overlook the overpowered protagonist cliche because Meng Hao is the best protagonist ever.
ISSTH's strong suite is its humour and wackiness. Meng Hao is only special insofar as he sometimes is very tongue-in-cheek about what he does, though the characters are overall better written that is usual for the genre.

If you want specifically interesting or well written cast, however, I would suggest Ze Tian Ji or World of Cultivation.

quote:

All the best scenes in ISSTH involve Meng Hao stealing other people's poo poo (and other people's reactions to him stealing all their poo poo):

The Spirit Pill Sprint, the Raindragon Hunt, Monster Mountain and the Bag of the Cosmos, the Iron Spear Auction, Salary Negotiations with Patriarch Reliance, Meeting the Meat Jelly, the Primordial Heavenly Replenishing Pill, the Million Spirit Stone giveaway and Church of Golden Light Annual Charity Marathon, the Crow Divinity Holy Land Fishing Excursion, and now Meng Hao's Extreme Home Makeover (in Space!).

He earned every single one of his absurdly powerful magic items by being an audacious kleptomaniac wizard.
A great part is how wacky all of this stuff is.

However, He really, really hasn't earned any of them. Meng Hao is absurdly lucky whenever it comes to having just the right person to steal stuff just at the right time. In fact, it's even worse considering he is also one of the Xanxia protagonists who are in the "doesn't work that hard" category, so it makes it more painful.

I have to say I do like a lot of the "philosophy of the Dao" parts though.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
Meng Hao works smarter, not harder :tem:

Jokes aside he is hard working at times, he definitely earned his abilities as an alchemist after he was lucky enough to be able to sneak in ofc

DeafAsianQT
Aug 9, 2013
Chinese place a lot more on "good fortune" and "karma" than western culture, so the "Meng Hao is so lucky" is likely due to a large part to chinese culture.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Arkeus posted:

I have to say I do like a lot of the "philosophy of the Dao" parts though.
Yeah, magic in ISSTH is more just power levels and pure numbers (though it definitely has that). It also has parts where seeming impossible things happen but it makes perfect sense because time traveling zombie alien clone Lincoln is involved.

Algid fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Feb 16, 2016

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

UberJew posted:

Meng Hao works smarter, not harder :tem:

Jokes aside he is hard working at times, he definitely earned his abilities as an alchemist after he was lucky enough to be able to sneak in ofc

Well the biggest cop out in that section was his knowledge of plants that he gained from the resurrection lily. Yes, he has the crazy poison flower trying to kill him but we all know he isn't going to die that way so really it is just another lucky happenstance.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Meng Hao put 10 points in Luck for his SPECIAL stats and that's okay!

also really enjoy ISSTHs world building, we've gotten loads of cool and interesting places, from the back of a giant demonic continent-sized turtle, to a pocket dimension full of pissed off dead folks from a clan who tried to defy the ji clan, to the kickass space bridge

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Yeah, without his absurd luck Meng Hao just wouldn't be able to survive in that absurd universe.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

giant demonic continent-sized turtle

New York to LA is about 2,500 miles.
The circumference of the Earth is about 25,000 miles.
The distance to the Moon is just under 240,000 miles.

Patriarch Reliance is described as having a circumference of "millions" of miles.

If you consider every single number in ISSTH to be 100% accurate (which you should) then Patriarch Reliance is probably around the same size as the Sun.

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

I'm totally ok with Patriarch Reliance being the size of the sun and leaving a sun-sized hole in another mega-planet upon departure. Well, perhaps not totally ok because things of that size would probably have severe gravity consequences, but I'd be fine with hand-waving that away with 'formations' or the magic-equivalent of cultivation.

I started reading 'World of Cultivation'. Please tell me this is going to stay Zombie Farmville Xianxia for a significant amount of chapters. It's surprisingly fun to read about the farming adventures of an expressionless money-grubber. I also began reading Bringing The Farm To Live In Another World, but it seems a lot more shallow, probably more so because the translation is relying so much on machine translation and apparently very little on actually knowing the language.

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000

Fleve posted:

I'm totally ok with Patriarch Reliance being the size of the sun and leaving a sun-sized hole in another mega-planet upon departure. Well, perhaps not totally ok because things of that size would probably have severe gravity consequences, but I'd be fine with hand-waving that away with 'formations' or the magic-equivalent of cultivation.

I started reading 'World of Cultivation'. Please tell me this is going to stay Zombie Farmville Xianxia for a significant amount of chapters. It's surprisingly fun to read about the farming adventures of an expressionless money-grubber. I also began reading Bringing The Farm To Live In Another World, but it seems a lot more shallow, probably more so because the translation is relying so much on machine translation and apparently very little on actually knowing the language.

It gets even better. He remains a money grubbing farmer in a sword sect and his elders all get pissed off cause all he does is make money and chill.

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

FriggenJ posted:

It gets even better. He remains a money grubbing farmer in a sword sect and his elders all get pissed off cause all he does is make money and chill.

Hah! That is perfect.

Well poo poo, there go my plans to do things other than reading xianxia.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I liked the premise a lot, but the translation was just too amazingly terrible.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Is the Konosuba LN/translation any good? I'm a little worried that something so humor heavy might lose something if the translation is poor.

Irisize
Sep 30, 2014

I found it okay, but I find myself a horrible judge of translation quality since it's been so long I don't know what's good and what's bad anymore. At the very least, it obeys basic laws of grammar and whatnot.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Pretty much the same.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Irisize posted:

I found it okay, but I find myself a horrible judge of translation quality since it's been so long I don't know what's good and what's bad anymore. At the very least, it obeys basic laws of grammar and whatnot.

I'm generally fine as long as the grammar is technically correct and it doesn't sound like someone with broken English speaking. It also really bugs me when they leave random words untranslated (for example "Onii-chan, you like cheese ne?"), and this is coming from someone who knows a bunch of Japanese so I can't imagine how obnoxious it is for people who don't.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

If we're talking World of Cultivation then I couldn't even get through the first chapter without losing interest. It felt like every other word was left untranslated and the footnotes to clarify don't really help. And it was even prefaced saying this was a high quality redo of the initial translation.

The other farming novel mentioned isn't particularly deep or complex but the translation is not a deterrent even if it its an edited machine translation.

I was hoping to get into the former hoping it was doing weird and fun things with farming but I could only deal with so many paragraphs of world building I couldn't quickly understand because every meaningful word wasn't translated.

Comic fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Feb 18, 2016

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

Well, leaving those words untranslated isn't because they couldn't translate them, it's just a bad stylistic decision. You get used to it after enough chapters, but yeah it's cumbersome. The first chapter is the worst offender.

If you can get through the initial terminology spagetthi, I think it's definitely worth reading. It's like a more low-key ISSTH with Meng Hao starting out as an outer sect magic grains farmer.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013
Another thing it does that I love is that it has a truly "Genius disciple" who is the best friend of the MC, and it's not "Yeah, he is a genius but MC is totally better anyway", it's "OK, this guy is a real genius". It's refreshing to have other characters have some agency and relevance sometime :)

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

Arkeus posted:

Another thing it does that I love is that it has a truly "Genius disciple" who is the best friend of the MC, and it's not "Yeah, he is a genius but MC is totally better anyway", it's "OK, this guy is a real genius". It's refreshing to have other characters have some agency and relevance sometime :)

Also that the typical arrogant, entitled inner sect disciple that the MC manages to beat realizes that being a shithead is loving up his training and turns over a new leaf. In many ways it feels like it's poking fun at a lot of typical Xianxia standards.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Fleve posted:

Well, leaving those words untranslated isn't because they couldn't translate them, it's just a bad stylistic decision. You get used to it after enough chapters, but yeah it's cumbersome. The first chapter is the worst offender.

If you can get through the initial terminology spagetthi, I think it's definitely worth reading. It's like a more low-key ISSTH with Meng Hao starting out as an outer sect magic grains farmer.

Nah, because it kept adding new untranslated terminology. Why the gently caress would I memorize that much vocabulary just because the translator is a pretentious fuckwad? Every person who tolerates that bullshit serves to validate it.

dipple
Oct 22, 2008

Nah, because it kept adding new untranslated terminology. Why the gently caress would I memorize that much vocabulary just because the translator is a pretentious fuckwad? Every person who tolerates that bullshit serves to validate it.

I don't see a big deal because most wuxia poo poo is still completely meaningless to me even translated. daitians, jindans, xuizhe, etc. make just as much sense to me as saying spirit severing or nascent soul or Heavenly fusion stage or Spirit Intial Full Circle Stage or w/e a.k.a. none.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~

dipple posted:

I don't see a big deal because most wuxia poo poo is still completely meaningless to me even translated. daitians, jindans, xuizhe, etc. make just as much sense to me as saying spirit severing or nascent soul or Heavenly fusion stage or Spirit Intial Full Circle Stage or w/e a.k.a. none.

The English terms are easier for me to remember, though. And a good number of them actually have meanings attached to their names, like Cultivator and Junior/Senior Brother/Uncle/Aunt.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Yeah the English actually has meaning attached occasionally and is much easier to remember in any case. In the case of ISSTH, imagine "fellow daoist" being left as "daoyou" or "beloved" being left as "daolu", it would completely unreadable.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
On the other hand, reading brother or sister in every line of dialog is pretty annoying, while it feels a little less annoying as -ge/jie because I'm used to hearing that in chinese. Most of the time honorifics can be dropped without losing anything, but it seems most translators either leave it in chinese/japanese or translate it every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Honorifics are one thing, but this dude refuses to include the translations for proper nouns that he puts in the footnotes.

• Locked thread