Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

hosed up for MTG to steal a Hearthstone card

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Wasn't that one of the cards someone speculated as being good vs. Eldrazi in modern (Reality Smasher)?

edit: re: Big Game Hunter (last page)

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
also this part is pretty interesting:

quote:

What new problems did it introduce that completely surprised you?

Luke: The difficulty of getting stores to carry the products and the "back stock" issue. If a
store sells 90% of a display every month, that's great, but in 5 months they have 5 different
display boxes, each 10% full lying around - that's a lot of shelf space!

Ryan: Inventory problems at the distributor and retail level.

Irritation and player disinterest at the lack of card rarity (a problem that I absolutely would
never have believed possible after having read literally thousands of messages bemoaning the
existence of rare cards.)

Lack of marketing focus; we were competiting with ourselves more than with anyone else.
Near total disbelief from our own internal sales team and the distributors; they simply couldn't
wrap their brains around the concept and it hurt us badly.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

I mean, there aren't many other simple rarity configurations you could do under the assumption of a 4-booster draft and still maintain the same distribution of card rarity within a Limited pool.

Wizards did try half boosters back during the Alara block, and I'm guessing it failed since I don't see those for sale anymore.

Do you think WotC might eventually be forced to cut the size of a booster when the price of a 15-card booster becomes so expensive casual supermarket buyers stop making those kinds of purchases? Or do you suppose that market demographic isn't large enough where they'd ever have to care?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Oh poo poo, let me tell you one of the things I loving DESPISE is loving turdlord stores that have hundreds of cubic feet devoted to ancient half-filled CCG booster boxes that have been rotting there at above MSRP for decades. Holy poo poo, just ebay that poo poo at half the price or something and fix your loving storefront you packrat assholes.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

I dunno I love Pack Rat

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
Wizards did try selling cheap 6 card boosters at Walmart, but they were discontinued a few years ago.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Zoness posted:

Basically they sold way less product when it was easy for people to get what they needed, because as it turns out people who want to play the game are willing to begrudgingly fork over money to play the game while the insane collector people love going after the stupid rare poo poo while on the other hand with flattened rarities both parties buy less product.

The solution, of course, appears to have been for them to tap out completely and instead be replaced by no randomness whatsoever in the upcoming ffg lcg

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Konstantin posted:

Wizards did try selling cheap 6 card boosters at Walmart, but they were discontinued a few years ago.

Weren't you not even guaranteed a rare in those packs?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Toshimo posted:

Oh poo poo, let me tell you one of the things I loving DESPISE is loving turdlord stores that have hundreds of cubic feet devoted to ancient half-filled CCG booster boxes that have been rotting there at above MSRP for decades. Holy poo poo, just ebay that poo poo at half the price or something and fix your loving storefront you packrat assholes.

I have one of these in my area.

I wasn't even aware there was a WWE TCG until I went in there.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Many LGS are living, breathing examples of the sunk cost fallacy in action.

Sotar
Dec 1, 2009

Count Bleck posted:

I have one of these in my area.

I wasn't even aware there was a WWE TCG until I went in there.

Ahhhh Raw Deal. I played that until poser creep made it so unless you played the new guys every set, you were playing a worthless deck.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Sotar posted:

Ahhhh Raw Deal. I played that until poser creep made it so unless you played the new guys every set, you were playing a worthless deck.

THIS IS THE BEST POST IN THIS THREAD.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Toshimo posted:

I remember being in a store like that a few years ago. HUGE loving case of singles, half of them were dollar rares. And stacked on top of that case were boxes with 2-8 packs from 2+ blocks past, all at least double MSRP. Like come on guys, no one's gonna spend $11 on a random Invasion pack.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

UberJew posted:

The solution, of course, appears to have been for them to tap out completely and instead be replaced by no randomness whatsoever in the upcoming ffg lcg

LCGs don't sell anywhere near the volume of a TCG/CCG though.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Speaking of "poser creep", I actually wrote a RAW DEAL wall of text in the last MtG thread, you nerds.

Toshimo posted:

Ok, so here's a cool little writeup on how Raw Deal did a certain thing with deck construction (and a few other card games did to some extent as well). It's sort of a giant monolithic precuror to ~The Command Zone~ (or a spiritual successor to Vanguard) but with a lot more intricacy since it's designed into the game (well, it kept getting bolted on, in this case).

So, you start with your superstar card:

The Heat Seekers
Superstar - Tag Team
Starting Hand Size: 8
Superstar Value: 7
Discard 2 cards: Exile 2 target cards from your graveyard. Shuffle another 2 target cards from your graveyard into your library. Then, choose one - * Draw 2 cards * Search your library for a Heel or Cheater card, reveal that card, and put it into your hand. Then shuffle your library. Activate this ability only during your turn and only once each turn.

Pretty self-explanatory. By selecting this card, you also restrict yourself to only generic cards and The Heat Seekers branded cards. Superstar Value is occasionally referenced in the game (i.e. do X damage to a player where X is their Superstar Value), but the primary purpose is that the higher SV player goes first in each portion of the game.

So, with that card, you may also reveal Backstage Area cards. Some Superstars let you reveal certain specific cards, but these guys don't, so you only get the generic cards:

BACKSTAGE AREA (3)
Backstage Signature - (Tournament Prize) Unique Backstage - Your opponent's Superstar Value is -1.
Raw Deal 5th Anniversary - (Tournament Prize) Unique Backstage - Turn this card face down: Overturn 5 cards from your library. Then choose 5 cards in your graveyard and shuffle them into your library. Activate this ability only during your turn.
WWE Signing Appearance - (Tournament Prize) Unique Backstage - Your Superstar value is +1. At the end of the Pre-match phase, each player may put a card from their hand on top of their library. Each player that does, draws a card.

Now, here's the hitch: Everyone wants to play all 3 of these. They are basically 3 free cards in terms of deck construction, they each do something good, and they are all generic and unique. They are all also tournament prizes (see also: mechanically unique promos).
Obviously, the Signature and Appearance cancel each other out for Superstar Value, but if you don't have them, WELP GET hosed.

After you do all that, you move on to the Pre-match phase. Pre-match cards are part of what is, effectively, a 20-card sideboard, called a Backlash Deck, split evenly into 10 Pre-match and 10 Mid-match cards. The player can look at their Backlash Deck at any time, and play any card in the deck at its appropriate time (Pre-match - in the pre-match phase, Mid-match - during normal play, they have normal card types). Backlash cards are differentiated from normal cards easily as they are printed sideways. Normal cards cannot be part of the Backlash Deck.

So, Superstar Values are checked, First Player is determined, then the following sequence happens:

Active Player (AP) may play a Pre-Match Venue. Non-Active Player (NAP) may play a Pre-Match Venue.
AP may play a Pre-Match Feud. NAP may play a Pre-Match Feud.
AP may play a Pre-Match Stipulation. NAP may play a Pre-Match Stipulation.
AP may play a Pre-Match Manager. NAP may play a Pre-Match Manager.
AP may play a Pre-Match Feud. NAP may play a Pre-Match Feud.
AP and NAP then take turns playing Pre-Match Objects and Events until both players pass consecutively (like MtG priority in phases). However, by default, each player can only play 5 of their 10 Pre-Match cards total.

{Editor's Note: There's a few of terms you'll need to know to undersand this part: Active, Unique, and Universal.
Unique: Restricted to 1 per deck.
Active: Only 1 may be in play at a time. You may not play another until this one is removed.
Universally Unique: No player may play another copy of this card.
Universally Active: No player may play another card with the same Type.}

So, the Pre-Match for this deck looked a little like this:

BACKLASH DECK (20)
Pre-match (10)

On Your Home Turf - Universally Active Pre-Match Venue - (The Heat Seekers Branded) - Indestructible. At the end of the Pre-Match phase, your opponent may choose 4 cards from their hand, and place them on the bottom of their library. If they do not, they must exile 2 cards from their hand, chosen randomly.
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada - Universally Active Pre-Match Venue - Indestructible. Your Superstar value is -4. Your opponent's Superstar Value is -6.

Bitter Rivals - Universally Unique Pre-Match Feud - If your SV is lower than your opponent's, you are the Active Player for the rest of the Pre-Match Phase. If your SV is greater than your opponent's, Title Belt cards cannot be played. If your SV is equal to your opponent's, choose either of the above options.

Hell in a Cell Match - Active Pre-Match Stipulation - Indestructible. Run-in cards cannot be played. If a card would leave the graveyard due to any card or effect, instead it remains in the graveyard. Cards with the following brands are not affected by this card: Chris Jericho, Kane, Mankind, The Rock, Stone Cold Steve Austin, Triple H, The Undertaker, Kurt Angle, Cacust Jack, Deadman Inc, and Shawn Michaels.

Managed by Vince McMahon - Universally Unique Pre-Match Manager - At the end of the Pre-Match Phase: Choose two - * Target Stipulation an opponent controls loses all abilities while this card is in play * Destroy target Title Belt an opponent controls * Return up to 2 cards from your graveyard to your hand. * +2 Mid-Match Card Limit while this card is in play.
Managed by Terri Runnels - Universally Unique Pre-Match Manager Heel - Your opponent's Starting Hand Size is -1. Sacrifice this: Counter target card that allows your opponent to search his library for 1 or more cards. End the Turn.

It’s All About the Game - Unique Pre-Match Event - Play only if you control no other Pre-match events. Your Starting Hand Size is -5. All players place all cards in their Backlash Deck into their graveyard.
Calling You Out - Unique Pre-Match Event - Your opponent reveals their Backlash Deck. Choose 1 Pre-match Event or Object. Your opponent must play that card as their next Pre-match card, if possible.
Old School Wrestling Match - Unique Pre-Match Event - The next Pre-match card played by your opponent loses all abilities before it enters the battlefield. At the end of the Pre-match phase, destroy that card.
United States Title Belt - Universally Unique Pre-Match Object - (Smackdown Branded) - Your Superstar value is +1. Your opponent's Pre-match card limit is reduced by 1.

Unfortunately, I realized about 75% of the way through that I accidentally chose a lousy example since the back half of the Pre-match deck is devoted to cancelling out your opponent's Pre-match cards, but... you get the idea.

It's a neat thing I'd like to see some other CCGs do well. OG Star Trek CCG could spend as much time setting up the pre-game as actually playing, the poo poo was so intricate. I don;t think MtG could ever really go this way, but it's a fun thought exercise.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Yawgmoth posted:

I remember being in a store like that a few years ago. HUGE loving case of singles, half of them were dollar rares. And stacked on top of that case were boxes with 2-8 packs from 2+ blocks past, all at least double MSRP. Like come on guys, no one's gonna spend $11 on a random Invasion pack.

How to run a game store that's in the 90th percentile of success:
  1. Any boosters from an expansion older than the current standard rotation of any CCG get clearanced to half MSRP. Move to 75% off after 90 days at half. Same with any supplemental product.
  2. Display cases for singles only apply to novel singles (anything >$150 or special hard to find items like old promos or cool alters). Absolutely no standard staples.
  3. Each aisle should be at least 1.5 average size goons (or 2 average people) wide. It makes for a better customer experience and deters theft.
  4. If you have carpeting, shampoo that poo poo every 6 months.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Conspiracy dipped its toes into that water a little bit. Wouldn't mind the next Conspiracy set to explore that space more.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Toshimo posted:

My store has a small table with some oddity stuff on it (ancient CCGs and non-card TCG-like games, that kind of thing), but it's not a lot of floor space and has some possibly interesting stuff in/on it (L5R, I got some Duel Masters from it, etc).

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I liked everything about Conspiracy except the 4-player-game aspect. >2-player magic is one of those love-it-or-hate-it things.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Serperoth posted:

My store has a small table with some oddity stuff on it (ancient CCGs and non-card TCG-like games, that kind of thing), but it's not a lot of floor space and has some possibly interesting stuff in/on it (L5R, I got some Duel Masters from it, etc).

:barf:

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Zoness posted:

LCGs don't sell anywhere near the volume of a TCG/CCG though.

it'll be difficult for them to sell a smaller volume than l5r

Sotar
Dec 1, 2009
I had a The Rock deck which revolved around going first, playing a move that was hard to counter if it was the first card played (pump kick, I think) then sitting on a prematch card that let me play giant reversals for tons of damage.

Then they made Batista, which made all reversals do no damage to him and I quit after that.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
Also, do what it takes to keep Standard staples in stock. Having it marked above SCG isn't ideal, but there are too many LGSs that simply do not have the cards that people want to play. I'd spend a lot more at my LGS if I could count on them having what I want, but since they don't I order 90% of my cards online without even checking the LGS first.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Sotar posted:

I had a The Rock deck which revolved around going first, playing a move that was hard to counter if it was the first card played (pump kick, I think) then sitting on a prematch card that let me play giant reversals for tons of damage.

Then they made Batista, which made all reversals do no damage to him and I quit after that.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Konstantin posted:

Also, do what it takes to keep Standard staples in stock. Having it marked above SCG isn't ideal, but there are too many LGSs that simply do not have the cards that people want to play. I'd spend a lot more at my LGS if I could count on them having what I want, but since they don't I order 90% of my cards online without even checking the LGS first.

Sometimes competition in your area just does that. Other shops simply give you more store credit for your cards and they get all the staples. Some don't keep buy lists going properly and throw away money. Some just don't have the player base to keep staples in stock.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

You must tell me that this is the actual name of card and not a photoshop.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Wishing your LGS had better business sense seems like it would be a Monkey's Paw kind of deal. If your wish gets granted, poof, no more LGS.

Sotar
Dec 1, 2009

Cactrot posted:

You must tell me that this is the actual name of card and not a photoshop.

It is the actual name of a card.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

:barf: indeed, that's just... Just stock that away.
The way I see it, it will only sell in one of two ways. Either someone will go in, specifically asking for Hulk TCG boosters or something, or they'll see it, and pick it up if it's ridiculously cheap. For the former, you don't need space, and for the latter, you can have a small table with junk on it (sorta like my LGS).

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Serperoth posted:

:barf: indeed, that's just... Just stock that away.
The way I see it, it will only sell in one of two ways. Either someone will go in, specifically asking for Hulk TCG boosters or something, or they'll see it, and pick it up if it's ridiculously cheap. For the former, you don't need space, and for the latter, you can have a small table with junk on it (sorta like my LGS).

The store pictured had 2 locations in very expensive ares that wasted over half their sales space on obsolete garbage that nobody ever bought. They also shrink wrapped all their books (including RPG sourcebooks), so you couldn't really browse. They also had a dozen LAN stations that I never saw anyone use. They lasted for decades before finally closing up. I always assumed they were a front for a meth ring.

Foreskin Problems
Nov 4, 2012

It's doing fine, actually.
I'll endeavor to go to FNM tomorrow to snap pics of the dead tcg tower at my store, featuring the Tomb Raider and X-Files card games.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Foreskin Problems posted:

I'll endeavor to go to FNM tomorrow to snap pics of the dead tcg tower at my store, featuring the Tomb Raider and X-Files card games.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

You can post that poo poo as a webm now. Look at how much more quickly it loads. Oooh. Wow. Oh my.

http://i.imgur.com/C85bd.gifv

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

I guess I'll shop around and pick up the Khans fetches on TCG. That and maybe shocks plus bad EDH lands like the Tainted cycle should be all I ever need.

gwrtheyrn posted:

Before khans stopped being drafted

Thanks I'll just hop in my time machine because I'm Rip Hunter and give myself money.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

There are several stores in my area that look like that, all from the same "chain." They have something like three locations total. I could go buy boosters of fallen empires (in Spanish, I think) tomorrow if I wanted. I think they still have some boosters from the Dark. They also sell tons of used video games and used game systems/stuff, so if you need a new gamecube controller and a copy of super monkey ball you can get those too while you browse the 15 year old magic card packs.

They don't run events, though, just sell stuff that no one ever seems to want.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Who would have imagined that people who care about collectible card games enough to run a store for them might overlap with the hoarder demographic.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Lightning Lord posted:

I guess I'll shop around and pick up the Khans fetches on TCG. That and maybe shocks plus bad EDH lands like the Tainted cycle should be all I ever need.

Thanks I'll just hop in my time machine because I'm Rip Hunter and give myself money.
The difference on a playset of all of them is like 100-150 bucks. Work like 5 hours of overtime and you'll be there.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Lol if you think they let part timers get overtime, much less anything over 27.75hrs/wk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Tusen Takk posted:

Lol if you think they let part timers get overtime, much less anything over 27.75hrs/wk

This, basically. gently caress retail and gently caress part time.

• Locked thread