Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

infernal machines posted:

it has an incrementing delay between attempts after the first four, which is part of what the fbi wants apple to patch our with a custom firmware

how big does the delay get? how long until the delay resets?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

arse technical posted:

The first is that the iPhone imposes delays between PIN attempts. While the first four attempts can be entered back-to-back, the iPhone will force you to wait one minute before the fifth attempt, five minutes before the sixth, 15 minutes before the seventh and eighth, and a full hour before the ninth.

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

lol if u think this is about anything technical. this is purely about the law and avoiding a precedent

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

uncurable mlady posted:

how big does the delay get? how long until the delay resets?

8 or 9 hours is the longest delay iirc and I'm not sure what you mean by reset. when you get a 9 hour delay its 9 hours every time as I understand it, at least with the models with a secure enclave. not sure if it still applies to the 5c

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

a guy came into the store once and it was locked for the next 500 hours

that's my apple encryption story thanks for reading

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

shitface posted:

8 or 9 hours is the longest delay iirc and I'm not sure what you mean by reset. when you get a 9 hour delay its 9 hours every time as I understand it, at least with the models with a secure enclave. not sure if it still applies to the 5c

I've never hosed up that many times on pin entry, so idk. I remember with blackberries you could reboot the phone when you were on your 9th password attempt and it would give you a new set. does the apple delay not go away ever until you wipe?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

uncurable mlady posted:

I've never hosed up that many times on pin entry, so idk. I remember with blackberries you could reboot the phone when you were on your 9th password attempt and it would give you a new set. does the apple delay not go away ever until you wipe?

correct, it still keeps track

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

uncurable mlady posted:

as I understand it, and I may be wrong, anything without the secure enclave, 5/5c and below, will forget after reboot. se is persistent

lifetime supply of Pocky
Aug 19, 2003

shitface posted:

as I understand it, and I may be wrong, anything without the secure enclave, 5/5c and below, will forget after reboot. se is persistent

let's say you're right, and the 5c forgets on reboot

then the fbi can try 4 pins, reset phone, repeat

if that takes them 2 minutes per cycle, a 4 digit pin would take something like 82 hours at worst? and they've had this 5c for more than 4 days? lol

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

MayorOfFrance posted:

if that takes them 2 minutes per cycle, a 4 digit pin would take something like 82 hours at worst? and they've had this 5c for more than 4 days? lol

protip: this case is not about this phone, or even iphones, or even phones or devices in general. lube up if timb loses this because Google and Microsoft are already bent over and willing

lifetime supply of Pocky
Aug 19, 2003

shitface posted:

protip: this case is not about this phone, or even iphones, or even phones or devices in general. lube up if timb loses this because Google and Microsoft are already bent over and willing

yeah i get that the end-game is to stomp their feet until they pile up enough garbage rulings from friendly judges to create, in paper, a golem shaped like the clipper chips they begged santa for in 199X but never got

lifetime supply of Pocky
Aug 19, 2003

but its super lol that they've weaponized their abject incompetence as part of said strategy

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

MayorOfFrance posted:

restarting an iphone 4 doesn't reset the passcode timer...

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

shitface posted:

no, they remember

but instead of the secure enclave remembering, the attempt count is being stored in flash. in older versions of iOS, it was possible to try a pin, see if it was valid, and then cut power before the data recording the attempt actually got written to flash. I believe it was fixed, though

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

DuckConference posted:

no, they remember

but instead of the secure enclave remembering, the attempt count is being stored in flash. in older versions of iOS, it was possible to try a pin, see if it was valid, and then cut power before the data recording the attempt actually got written to flash. I believe it was fixed, though

yeah, there were machines that you could wire in to the iPhone in place of the battery, they would tap in a PIN and watch the screen for a failure message and then immediately cut power before the phone increments the failure counter. iOS 8.something reversed the counter incrementing and the error message display

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!
don't forget that both the FBI and the NSA keep various zero days around for every device imaginable specifically for this purpose. if the US gov legitimately wanted into that phone then they would be able to get in. this is purely a move by the FBI to expand their powers while side stepping congress.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
They don't have to go through Congress because they're a federal agency, not a Congressional committee.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!
they are using all writs to get around the fact that there has purposefully been no legal rulings on encryption

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

zen death robot posted:

On one hand I kinda want to see them hack into the phone, because hell why not and on the other hand I really want to see a man eat a shoe on tv

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ymyiRXCszc

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Stux posted:

they are using all writs to get around the fact that there has purposefully been no legal rulings on encryption

there's no such thing as purposeful omission in law

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

Ludwig van Halen posted:

theres no such thing as an acceptable erosion of civil liberties.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Ludwig van Halen posted:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
all previous precedent and existing laws point to the feds having this power over apple. the lack of explicit law one way or another is irrelevant.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug
can we assume stux is a sovereign citizen

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer
so my workhorse 2011 17" MBP has decided to die, again

video issue. Every time it switches to the discrete video card it panics and reboots

supposedly has somethig to do with the use of lead-free solder. Ove time some of the chip <-> board joints fail, et voila

note the use of the word again. last time this happened was in 2013 while I was working a shoot in POrtugal

needed it up right away. cost me like 450 euro to get the fkin mobo changed

was getting ready to ship it off to 3rd-party repair when I noticed APple has a repair extension on these machines for the same reason

called Applecare, described the situation. Yup sounds like its a covered issue, we will fix

BUT

no Apple store here and none that you can mail it to. Sorree!

luckily my bro just happened to be flying up to the states for a couple of days

gave him the machine, directed him to run it into an Apple store

got a call from the store tech

"the macbook passes the video test and isn't covered"

What

apparently the affected machines have to fail a very particular test otherwise applecare will not cover the repair. Your video card is fail but it passes the test so I will have to charge you. $700 flat rate to change the motherboard

gently caress That And gently caress You

machine is currently on its way to a 3rd-party repair shop that says they can fix the video issue permanently for $170 bucks

time will tell

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
next time buy a real computer like a surface pro or xps

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

theultimo posted:

can we assume stux is a sovereign citizen

obviously not

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Shaggar posted:

next time buy a real computer like a surface pro

why woiuld you say such a terrible thing?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

buttcrackmenace posted:

so my workhorse 2011 17" MBP has decided to die, again
maybe it's time to stop dumping money into a five year old laptop?
*queue set of incredibly specific edge cases only this specific model of mbp satisfies*

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

qirex posted:

*queue set of incredibly specific edge cases only this specific model of mbp satisfies*

express card

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

theultimo posted:

express card

lol

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

theultimo posted:

express card

http://www.sonnettech.com/product/echoexpresscard34thunderbolt.html

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
sovereign citizen is exactly it, it's the logical endpoint of technolibertarianism

"encryption grants me immunity from joinder"

reminder

quote:

KidVanguard posted:

they're just digging their heels in to set precedent for the inevitable Chinese backdoor requirement.

if they give into the us then China gets a blank check

hm yes i do think apple and their ilk should get to be international gypsies with law unto themselves

this sure is a thing i think ought to happen and not something that some idiot who wrote some fantasy novels 40 years ago that i've read religiously thinks is good to happen

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
reminder that technolibertarians explicitly want to be stateless beings with global influence because of digital sorcery

THAT IS ACTUALLY THE STATED ENDGAME

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug
http://youtu.be/U7S8XzvNJs8

but actually believe it

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

qirex posted:

field-editing and curating video on a 13" MBP sucks innit

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!
conflating concerns over basic privacy from the government and others with being a sov cit is a really hyperbolic stance to take imo

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug
http://youtu.be/GWxC8ezE4Dk

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

Stux posted:

conflating concerns over basic privacy from the government and others with being a sov cit is a really hyperbolic stance to take imo

and yet you live in the uk, which is the biggest nanny state in the world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

theultimo posted:

and yet you live in the uk, which is the biggest nanny state in the world

yeah its a pretty poo poo country what do you want here

• Locked thread