Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

0rganDonor posted:

Bonus; Have a stop sign runner calling my bluff and nearly losing badly;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pc291rpj1pQ

Soiled pants in that van.

(That said, you want to be careful with that stuff. You could have had some percentage fault due to not assuming he was a fuckhole.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

0rganDonor posted:

Bonus; Have a stop sign runner calling my bluff and nearly losing badly;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pc291rpj1pQ

Heh, you can see the exact moment when he looks over and sees nothing but grill out his window, and decides yielding is the better part of valor. I bet he's used to being the bigger vehicle. Right of weigh indeed :wink:

Bonus bonus, saw this in the Dallas subreddit this morning:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oJzPT8wdi0

Obviously the van turning into an oncoming green light is at fault, but I just don't get how, if you're looking forward, you can not see that coming. It was from a stop too so it's not like anybody was up to speed, the car to his left brakes in plenty of time. My best guess is that he wasn't really paying attention, saw the van out of his peripheral and subconsciously assumed it was oncoming traffic from the other direction, not noticing it was actually in front of him until it was too late.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Takes No Damage posted:

Obviously the van turning into an oncoming green light is at fault, but I just don't get how, if you're looking forward, you can not see that coming. It was from a stop too so it's not like anybody was up to speed, the car to his left brakes in plenty of time. My best guess is that he wasn't really paying attention, saw the van out of his peripheral and subconsciously assumed it was oncoming traffic from the other direction, not noticing it was actually in front of him until it was too late.

I could see how the driver of the camera car could be held at fault, as by law you must not enter an intersection if it's not clear, and as you noted, this was from a red light and the van was easily observable coming into the intersection.

Local laws could obviously vary, and it could also be considered 50/50, or completely the left turners fault depending on how the cops/judge felt that day or decided to interpret things.

It was easily avoidable though, absolutely.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

nm posted:

In the US, it would be 100% fault of the blazer. You need to be able to stop for any vehicle putting on the brakes. If he had been paying attention and had a proper following distance he'd been fine. The stopping guy is an rear end in a top hat who shouldn't drive, but would not be at fault.

From what I know, it is very hard to not get 100% fault if you rear end a vehicle, especially in Texas. You can do stupid poo poo like park on an exit ramp and get none of the blame for an accident that you cause by doing so (this happened to my cousin, woman parked on an exit ramp to yell at her kids, there's no way to stop quickly enough even when you leave the road at the posted exit speed). I wouldn't be surprised if OrganDonor had pancaked the Blazer and got the majority of the fault.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

The Locator posted:

I could see how the driver of the camera car could be held at fault, as by law you must not enter an intersection if it's not clear, and as you noted, this was from a red light and the van was easily observable coming into the intersection.

At 0:05 when the light changes, the intersection is clear. Both the camera car and the van enter the intersection at the same time.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

EightBit posted:

From what I know, it is very hard to not get 100% fault if you rear end a vehicle, especially in Texas. You can do stupid poo poo like park on an exit ramp and get none of the blame for an accident that you cause by doing so (this happened to my cousin, woman parked on an exit ramp to yell at her kids, there's no way to stop quickly enough even when you leave the road at the posted exit speed). I wouldn't be surprised if OrganDonor had pancaked the Blazer and got the majority of the fault.

Where I live a rear ender is instant 100% at fault for the one doing the rear ending. I was in an accident a while back where someone backed their car up an offramp and rear ended me backwards and the insurance company rep laughed because it was an situation that the thousands of pages of fault determination rules hadn't anticipated.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Craptacular posted:

At 0:05 when the light changes, the intersection is clear. Both the camera car and the van enter the intersection at the same time.

One question for fault is who had the last clear chance to svoid.
Re: rear-ending. In the us it is a muth that the rear-ender is always at fault though it is astrong presumption with an admission, video, or witness in most cases. The semi would not be at fault against the blazer.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Takes No Damage posted:

Bonus bonus, saw this in the Dallas subreddit this morning:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oJzPT8wdi0

Really looks like the driver filming was distracted. Impossible to miss otherwise. It was almost like watching cyclists cams where you see what's going to happen long before it actually happens, and the cyclist obviously didn't pay attention or (also likely) isn't willing to slow down or back down, and they get hit. When I drive/cycle, if I see even a hint of someone about to turn in front of me, I slow down / get ready to brake.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
It's more important who is at fault in the eyes of the insurance company, not judge/police. I'm PA, a forward moving vehicle is 100% to blame for striking another in the back. The logic behind it, is that you're supposed to be traveling at a safe stopping distance. No idea how they accommodate for situations where someone pulls out into the 65 mph traffic lane, while going 10.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

Nitrox posted:

It's more important who is at fault in the eyes of the insurance company, not judge/police. I'm PA, a forward moving vehicle is 100% to blame for striking another in the back. The logic behind it, is that you're supposed to be traveling at a safe stopping distance. No idea how they accommodate for situations where someone pulls out into the 65 mph traffic lane, while going 10.

Some places also have rules about cars having a duty to avoid obstacles regardless of right-of-way or a duty to yield the intersection to obstructing traffic even if you have the green light so it's possible they got some % of fault regardless just because the video shows that is was relatively preventable. I'm not saying they should be and I don't like to armchair these things but it definitely looks like the van driver was distracted somehow by not noticing the crossing car, but he may have just been tunnel visioned in front of him or maybe the car next to him blocked his vision but not that of the cams since it's usually positioned much farther forward in the car than the driver is.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I would put a lot of negligence on the car pulling forward. It's clear as days what's happening and the car beside them is able to avoid the accident, which doesn't bode well for a defense that you did everything you could to avoid the accident.

Hell it looks like they never even braked and were trying to play chicken.

Edit: ok they braked, but there is almost a solid 3 seconds between the van turning before they brake.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Nitrox posted:

This is why I now have a dash cam. In the case of someone pulling out in front of you, it's a his word (I was in that lane for a long time officer, I just slowed down for <insert animal/child here>) vs. your word unless you have some sort of proof that the other guy was an idiot, and the dash cam can provide this. To me, it's like buying insurance, except I only have to pay a fairly small amount, and only one time, rather than an ongoing expense.

0rganDonor
Jan 19, 2007

EightBit posted:

TRANSPORTATION CODE
TITLE 7. VEHICLES AND TRAFFIC
SUBTITLE C. RULES OF THE ROAD
CHAPTER 545. OPERATION AND MOVEMENT OF VEHICLES
Sec. 545.061. DRIVING ON MULTIPLE-LANE ROADWAY. On a roadway divided into three or more lanes and providing for one-way movement of traffic, an operator entering a lane of traffic from a lane to the right shall yield the right-of-way to a vehicle entering the same lane of traffic from a lane to the left.

Sec. 545.058. DRIVING ON IMPROVED SHOULDER. (a) An operator may drive on an improved shoulder to the right of the main traveled portion of a roadway if that operation is necessary and may be done safely, but only:
(2) to accelerate before entering the main traveled lane of traffic

Source: http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/TN/htm/TN.545.htm

Since it's legal to use the shoulder to accelerate in Texas, and merging traffic must yield to travelling traffic the video would have shown in court and to insurance companies that the blazer both failed to yield right of way, and did not do everything he could have to avoid the accident.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Nitrox posted:

It depends on the situation. Basically the game is negligence. Rear-end rule is a rule simply because without a dashcam or witnesses, it is hard to prove someone cut your off and braked at basically the same time (before you could return to a safe following distance). However, if you could prove it, there is no state in the country where you'd be found majority at fault if you were basically following the speed limit (if you're doing 100, all bets off).

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

wank wank you're a pro vaper I'm not wooptiedoo...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEvcvD9xeLI

drukqs fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Feb 20, 2016

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Technically crossing a single white line, absent any signs to the contrary is not illegal if done safely in CA. A double white line is different.

Still a dick move.

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

Ahhhh yeah, I had a feeling that was the case.

Ooo well.

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdPbEzQ0mVw

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
https://gfycat.com/AntiqueScientificBlackrussianterrier

http://kxan.com/2016/02/26/truck-carrying-gravel-flies-off-fm-2222-after-crash/

smax
Nov 9, 2009

I saw that pop up on my phone earlier today. The video posted on the KXAN website was almost 2 minutes long, with about 1.5 minutes worth of the driver practicing Spanish using one of those CDs for learning a language.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

The article talks about maintenance of the truck but from the video it seems like the truck doesn't even have their brake lights lit up until they're more or less on top of the Honda.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

8ender posted:

The article talks about maintenance of the truck but from the video it seems like the truck doesn't even have their brake lights lit up until they're more or less on top of the Honda.

Saw this pop-up in my Facebook feed from some of my family in Texas. Word is the driver of the dump truck has a prior record of being involved in accidents and generally not operating commercial vehicles safely.

Vorkosigan
Mar 28, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uo8gKeriCRg

Furcifer
Apr 20, 2007
It's Furcifer, not Lucifer
Can anyone recommend a truly reliable dash cam? I've read reviews of the G1W and while the price is nice, it seems to die after a year of use. I'm looking for something that just works and handles extreme weather fluctuations (Ontario, Canada). In the winters it can get to ~ -25C, and in the summers it can get to 40C+ while parked outside. I also do a fair bit of driving year-round (45,000 Km in 12 months). Would a rear-camera option be suggested or will a front camera only be OK?

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Furcifer posted:

Can anyone recommend a truly reliable dash cam? I've read reviews of the G1W and while the price is nice, it seems to die after a year of use. I'm looking for something that just works and handles extreme weather fluctuations (Ontario, Canada). In the winters it can get to ~ -25C, and in the summers it can get to 40C+ while parked outside. I also do a fair bit of driving year-round (45,000 Km in 12 months). Would a rear-camera option be suggested or will a front camera only be OK?

I can't speak on long term reliability but I'm from identical circumstances (Ontario, lots of Kms, etc) and my A118C hasn't let me down yet even in super cold. I've had it since this past summer.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
A couple of 2fast2stupid idiots caused a bad wreck the other day.

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2016/02/27/5-freeway-closed-in-commerce-after-crash-leaves-3-dead-5-injured/

I hope they get life.

To lighten things up though, here is the most british compilation of bad drivers I have ever seen.

:nws: due to a lot of swearing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOjUL8LwUsE&feature=youtu.be

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

6:44 :stare:

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
I wouldn't have bother but I had to do it (The whole cam download/Youtube upload) for the next video and it happenned today too. Some further evidence of the "gently caress you I'm in a Truck!" attitude:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_M6b-MhiBA

A caravan driver doing a great job of keeping the knobs on Top Gear in business for a few more decades.

:nws:swearing:nws: I know how much you like foriegn accents saying potty mouth stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Mdr1oywoDM

But if you want actual smashing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_rgMe8rxl0

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Cartoon posted:

I wouldn't have bother but I had to do it (The whole cam download/Youtube upload) for the next video and it happenned today too. Some further evidence of the "gently caress you I'm in a Truck!" attitude:

I think the title of this video is supposed to be sarcastic, but actually it's just accurate.

What did you want the truck to do? Slam on the brakes and lock up the wheels and slide into a tree, just because you feel uncomfortable pulling a little bit onto the shoulder of a narrow forest road?

e: I watched your second video too and you are just a whiny peepants baby. That guy made a perfectly legal and safe merge into your lane and it pissed you off because...??? Heavy equipment and vehicles with trailers don't have to get out of your way. Get over it.

e2: nice illegal pass around the trailer (you drove over the parking space lines, moron) because you can't wait five seconds for him to make the turn. The "loving asswipe" is you.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Feb 29, 2016

Normal Person
Oct 14, 2011

Cartoon posted:

A caravan driver doing a great job of keeping the knobs on Top Gear in business for a few more decades.

:nws:swearing:nws: I know how much you like foriegn accents saying potty mouth stuff.

Honestly, you drive like a bit of a twat. Stop it.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah, I like how in the caravan video you start off coming around a curve, possibly meaning there was no way the guy could've seen you before he started that turn into the road.

The first one is lovely, but at the same time, you've posted enough of them to prove that it's a regular thing and clearly something you're used to because you are not currently embedded in the grille of a logging truck. The attitude may be "gently caress you I'm a truck" but insisting on legally right may end with you very much dead.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
hahaha this thread is the best

I need to get a dashcam because I was driving through Brooklyn over the weekend and ohgodohgodohgodohgodohgodohgodohgod

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

What kind of trailer is this? It looks like a tiny air-conditioned house, but I know AT&T can afford to use hotels.

Also, I need to put my camera behind my mirror instead of on the dash.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Cocoa Crispies posted:

What kind of trailer is this? It looks like a tiny air-conditioned house, but I know AT&T can afford to use hotels.

Also, I need to put my camera behind my mirror instead of on the dash.

They do fiber splicing in those little trailers.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yeah, I like how in the caravan video you start off coming around a curve, possibly meaning there was no way the guy could've seen you before he started that turn into the road.

Now that I'm on a computer...yeah, at the very start of that video, you can't see him and there's no way he can see you. By the time you see him he's already halfway across the road. How fast do you want him to take that turn into (if I'm reading that sign at the end right) a 40 km/h road that has curbside non-parallel parking that you drove through?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

IOwnCalculus posted:

The attitude may be "gently caress you I'm a truck" but insisting on legally right may end with you very much dead.

This is like the rule of the sea. We call it the rule of Gross Tonnage. It doesn't matter if you're a WAFI (Wind Assisted loving Idiot, AKA sailboat), on a windward port tack, the 300T Tug and 160' Barge combo isn't going to change course, even if they technically have room. It's the same with OTR and Offroad trucks, and anyone towing. They can't always wait until the coast is entirely clear, and you had plenty of time to slow. I love your double-swerve move too... cute.

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

The first thing my dash cam taught me was that I was the menace more often than not. Then it taught me that I make lots of 'dad noises.'

Here's a guy last night, I have no idea what exactly went wrong but he just demolished that sign and his car. Tried looping back and I was able to follow the trail of fluids to the dead end he'd limped it to, but I elected to skip driving all the way down there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1agwkQfsUM0

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I'm going to go with "drunk or otherwise not competent", given that they also seem to have no lights on.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

IOwnCalculus posted:

Now that I'm on a computer...yeah, at the very start of that video, you can't see him and there's no way he can see you. By the time you see him he's already halfway across the road. How fast do you want him to take that turn into (if I'm reading that sign at the end right) a 40 km/h road that has curbside non-parallel parking that you drove through?
Well in my defence the fact that it was a blind corner may have tipped you off to the fact that they did a U-Turn across double center lines. If I had been in a heavy vehicle I may not have had time to slow down enough to avoid them. They should have taken the slightly longer route to their destination that didn't involve a dangerous illegal turn.

The trucks. Yes they are bigger and yes I do go out of my way to get out of theirs. They are all breaking the speed limit for that road and the shoulder is in no way consistent. Nor is the width of the track. Now also look at what part of the road they were on in the blind corner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.

Cartoon posted:

I'll see your videos and raise you.

First one is a dude using his turn signal and coming to a complete stop at a stop sign. Next is an oncoming car staying in his/her lane. Last one is someone coming to a gentle controlled stop at a red light.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMwah6dCK5g

Also NSFW bad words.