Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Sleeveless posted:

It was also shamelessly stolen from a reference to and/or parody of Funny Games, because the entire point of Cabin in the Woods is to be a satire of horror films.

ftfy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
I'm watching John Wick for the hundredth time because it's amazing and one thing is just niggling at me.

So Wick retired from working for Viggo as his murder machine about five years before the movie starts. Iosef is in his, what, early 20s? How does he have no idea who Wick is? I realize the answer is that "Iosef is a gigantic loving self-absorbed moron" but you'd think he still would have picked up on his dad's pet unstoppable engine of destruction.

I feel like it would have flowed a little better if Wick had no connection to Viggo beyond his reputation.

Polaron has a new favorite as of 21:13 on Feb 15, 2016

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Iosef seems like the kind of kid who would go all "Yeah well I'll send my dad's super kickass assassin, John Wick, after you, rear end in a top hat!" in a schoolyard fight or something equally pointless. Were I his dad I'd make drat sure not to tell that worthless poo poo too much about the family business.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
My own iimm for John Wick was that they nicknamed him "Old Magic Mean Lady Who Lives In Hut With Hen Legs"

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

AnonSpore posted:

My own iimm for John Wick was that they nicknamed him "Old Magic Mean Lady Who Lives In Hut With Hen Legs"

Yeah but that's a rationally irritating movie moment, which is a completely different thread :v:

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I would have forgiven it immediately if they had managed to sneak in a scene where John Wick rides a gigantic mortar and pestle though

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

John wick will gently caress your poo poo up like a horror story from the old country. And is an old lady who can be tricked I guess if you keep telling her house to turn around.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Polaron posted:

I'm watching John Wick for the hundredth time because it's amazing and one thing is just niggling at me.

So Wick retired from working for Viggo as his murder machine about five years before the movie starts. Iosef is in his, what, early 20s? How does he have no idea who Wick is? I realize the answer is that "Iosef is a gigantic loving self-absorbed moron" but you'd think he still would have picked up on his dad's pet unstoppable engine of destruction.

I feel like it would have flowed a little better if Wick had no connection to Viggo beyond his reputation.

Honestly I think everything about that movie was really really dumb other than the action scenes. I actually fast-forwarded through one or two scenes which is not something I really do.

The action really kicked rear end though.

I wish the movie didn't try to have a plot or a setup. Just drop me in-media-res, John Wick is a badass and he's pissed off. That's all I need to know. Dedicate more screen time to action.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Zaphod42 posted:

Honestly I think everything about that movie was really really dumb other than the action scenes. I actually fast-forwarded through one or two scenes which is not something I really do.

The action really kicked rear end though.

I wish the movie didn't try to have a plot or a setup. Just drop me in-media-res, John Wick is a badass and he's pissed off. That's all I need to know. Dedicate more screen time to action.

But that would get rid of the two things that make John Wick stand out as more than just a movie with good action scenes:

1) Everyone making GBS threads their pants because Iosef pissed John off something fierce, and that whole sense of excitement leading into the house shoot out

And

2) all the weird little assassin's world building touches that make the setting feel lived-in.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Ugly In The Morning posted:

But that would get rid of the two things that make John Wick stand out as more than just a movie with good action scenes:

1) Everyone making GBS threads their pants because Iosef pissed John off something fierce, and that whole sense of excitement leading into the house shoot out

And

2) all the weird little assassin's world building touches that make the setting feel lived-in.

Vigo: I hear you punched my son today.
John Leguizamo: Yes sir, that I did.
Vigo: (menacingly) I trust you have some explanation?
John Leguizamo: Well, sir, he stole John Wick's car.
Vigo: ...Oh. :smith: (hangs up)

loving loved that scene.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Yeah, seriously the tension building was great. It was all "okay who is this John Wick guy everyone is scared shitless of him'

I also loved the "Noise complaint?" gags.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

AnonSpore posted:

loving loved that scene.

You beat me to it. Although he also tells Viggo that his son killed John's dog.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Just saw the dark city director's cut. Does everyone get their jobs shuffled every day? Why does the police detective get to be one and remember that he's still on a case overnight, then?

Those quintillion gallons of water he pours out into space, were they doing anything important inside the machinery? That's a lotta excess water to just have and not use.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Vigo was such a great character.

E: or rather the actor who played him was really good

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Krinkle posted:

Just saw the dark city director's cut. Does everyone get their jobs shuffled every day? Why does the police detective get to be one and remember that he's still on a case overnight, then?

Not everyone every day. Just some of them. They probably average a month or something per position, to give plenty of time for data collection.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

rydiafan posted:

Not everyone every day. Just some of them. They probably average a month or something per position, to give plenty of time for data collection.

How do people not constantly run into someone who doesn't recognize them or vica versa if their memory erase periods overlap?

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
I thought it was pretty explicitly stated that their entire memory is wiped clean every 'reset' and designed from the ground up with false memories. The detective who's been investigating the case for a month could have been a baker who'd on a honeymoon for six weeks three nights before, and a plumber who had been living in a bottle for two years the week before that. The whole thing was just a giant experiment to discover the human soul by taking the same physical person and rebuilding their life experience constantly and looking at how that effects the way they approach their 'life.'

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I guess I need to watch John Wick again.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Krinkle posted:

Those quintillion gallons of water he pours out into space, were they doing anything important inside the machinery? That's a lotta excess water to just have and not use.

In answer to your last question: They didn't exist until Murdoch used the Machine to create them.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Krinkle posted:

The latter Mad Max movies are secretly Dark City sequels.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I would love nothing more than to have an ant farm where after depriving them all but the tiniest amount of water they devolve into roving gangs of raider ants perched on teeny doof wagons in search of ant guzzoline.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease
I just watched "Inside Out", and I had a longer post written out, but it got a bit E/N, so I'll just sum it up in one sentence: it is completely irritating to me (irrationally so) that the climactic message of the movie seems to be "Sadness is not merely a depressingly normal part of life that can fortunately be dealt with, but rather Sadness is IMPORTANT and the emotion should get free reign of your mental state at times, and all of the happy memories that make up your core personality should be tinged with Sadness in order to be a functioning human being!" As somebody who has been fighting depression for years, I say gently caress that, Sadness should have been thrown off of the cliff.

Also, Anger should totally have been feeding off of Sadness, Fear, and Disgust. Literally.

edit: I mean, I *know* the message they were going for was "It's OK to feel sad when traumatic things happen in your life", but they completely bungled it. Instead, it came across as "Being optimistic and happy in the face of adversity isn't realistic or good, you *have* to be depressed when bad things happen, wow, so deep, very insightful, pat me on the back for my Grown-Up message!"

Eh! Frank has a new favorite as of 09:20 on Feb 17, 2016

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I thought they delivered their intended message perfectly. Sorry about your sadbrains though

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Eh! Frank posted:

I just watched "Inside Out", and I had a longer post written out, but it got a bit E/N, so I'll just sum it up in one sentence: it is completely irritating to me (irrationally so) that the climactic message of the movie seems to be "Sadness is not merely a depressingly normal part of life that can fortunately be dealt with, but rather Sadness is IMPORTANT and the emotion should get free reign of your mental state at times, and all of the happy memories that make up your core personality should be tinged with Sadness in order to be a functioning human being!" As somebody who has been fighting depression for years, I say gently caress that, Sadness should have been thrown off of the cliff.

Also, Anger should totally have been feeding off of Sadness, Fear, and Disgust. Literally.

edit: I mean, I *know* the message they were going for was "It's OK to feel sad when traumatic things happen in your life", but they completely bungled it. Instead, it came across as "Being optimistic and happy in the face of adversity isn't realistic or good, you *have* to be depressed when bad things happen, wow, so deep, very insightful, pat me on the back for my Grown-Up message!"

No offensive, and I'm saying this as someone who's got their own issues with depression and anxiety and some other stuff, but you're projecting and letting your issues warp your perception of the movie. Keep in mind it's a children's movie. Sadness is very much a part of a normal and healthy life, and you're conflating sadness and depression, which (as you probably know very well) are two entirely different things.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
In Memento why did Carrie-Ann Moss have the lamest spit? With hindsight(foresight?) We know how much she loving loathes Lenny and she spends a good minute hacking up and snorting up phlegm and snot but then she just kinda dribbles in his pint a bit.

It's probably some "Health and Safety gone mad!" thing, but just lie and say it was fake phlegm and just hack a fat throat clam into the drat pint.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Taeke posted:

No offensive, and I'm saying this as someone who's got their own issues with depression and anxiety and some other stuff, but you're projecting and letting your issues warp your perception of the movie. Keep in mind it's a children's movie. Sadness is very much a part of a normal and healthy life, and you're conflating sadness and depression, which (as you probably know very well) are two entirely different things.

It's even better than that.

Riley was starting to become depressed.

When Sadness was there, the islands were still functional. Riley's big problems came not when Sadness was at the controls, but when both Joy and Sadness were gone. The longer they were gone, the less like herself she became. She lost interest in the things that mattered to her. Everything went gray. THAT was depression.

Happysad memories are normal and important, and shouldn't be banished. The opposite of depression isn't happiness, it's a normal range of emotions. Also, it wasn't Riley figuring out that the Sadness was "neccessary" per se, it was the anthropomorphized Joy, the main viewpoint character, in other words, the audience.

I am not diminishing depression and have personal, academic, and professional experience dealing with it. Personally, I think the movie may have done more to help people with depression than any I can remember, just indirectly, because it gave a way for those close to them to visualize what was going on. Instead of just depression=sadness, it actually depicted both sadness and joy being absent leaving a dangerous void which can be filled with self destructive behavior that isn't truly representative of the person when healthy. This is actually an illustration I now use helping people understand depression.

It's not a documentary or an edutainment, and it leaves out a lot, but I don't think the attack is justified. Different things will trigger different people, but I think that it symptomatic of the individual rather than the movie.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Eh! Frank posted:

Yeah but if you are depressed, you aren't sad, you're empty. The film did a very good job of showing that. Stop projecting.
Being sad sometimes is perfectly healthy and an important part of growing up. People who insist on being happy all the time eventually break apart when something bad happens that they can't manage. A normal person that has had the full buffet of emotions is better equipped to handle trauma.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Inzombiac posted:

Yeah but if you are depressed, you aren't sad, you're empty. The film did a very good job of showing that. Stop projecting.
Being sad sometimes is perfectly healthy and an important part of growing up. People who insist on being happy all the time eventually break apart when something bad happens that they can't manage. A normal person that has had the full buffet of emotions is better equipped to handle trauma.

Within the context of the movie, though, Riley isn't shown to be forcing herself to be happy, her happiness (as personified by Joy) shines through on it's own, coming across (to me at least) as optimism and looking at the bright things in life. Joy is pretty drat competent at her job, she doesn't tire, she's not doing it because she was ordered to, she just IS. And the shelves of emotional memories show that Riley isn't just running at 100% happiness all the time, there's plenty of the negative emotions scattered in as well.

Gonna break out the self-:goonsay: to explain my point a bit better (hopefully):

Towards the beginning of the movie, it shows Sadness randomly touching memories, turning happy ones into sad ones and actively making things worse for Riley. That to me was a perfect representation of what it's like when I feel a depressive funk coming on. Memories and activities that once made me happy suddenly make me sad instead. That feeling of having happiness sucked away is personified by the character Sadness. And within both the movie and real life, the Sadness comes close to destroying both herself AND Joy. It's Sadness that brings on the depression in the first place. I absolutely hated the character Sadness (ok, yeah, sure, this is projection, that's why I'm in the irrationally irritating thread).

But by personifying Sadness as a cute blue blob (with her own feelings and personality), the movie tries to get you to root for her. So instead of the message being "Sadness sucks, but it's normal and it's ok to feel sad", it comes across as "Yay Sadness! Save the day, Sadness! You can fix anything, Sadness!" And the movie does next to nothing to have the character earn it. The only things that come to mind are when she motivates the imaginary friend to move on, and when Joy has the epiphany that "Hey, right before this happy memory, Riley was actually sad, which makes Sadness important because... reasons?" Sadness has NO character arc, despite being the one who set the depression off in the very first place, and the movie has no indication that the depression is being caused by Sadness being gone in addition to Joy, the whole movie up until right at the climax makes it appear that it's just Joy being gone that's causing it. But then you get to the climax and oh look, it's Sadness and Sadness alone that returns Riley to normal, not all of the emotions working together, so I guess all it takes to get over depression is a good cry, thanks movie!

The problem is the movie reduces the very complex concept that is emotions to a dumbed-down kid's level, portraying the whole vast range of human feelings as just five distinct personalities, while at the same time, trying to show some deep insight about emotions and how they interact (but since there's only the five, you are missing a poo poo-ton of the emotional spectrum). It tries to have its cake and eat it too, and while I guess most people thought it was successful at its goal, I personally thought it royally hosed it up.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Eh! Frank posted:

I also have depression and I didn't get that reading at all.

Edit:

Reading your other post, I understand where you're coming from better, although I still don't agree with it. However:

Eh! Frank posted:

The problem is the movie reduces the very complex concept that is emotions to a dumbed-down kid's level

Are you honestly giving a literal children's movie primarily aimed at actual children poo poo for bringing the metaphor down to a child's level? Come on, dude.

Who What Now has a new favorite as of 19:42 on Feb 17, 2016

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

I just remembered an Irrationally Irritating Moment About Someone Else's Irrationally Irritating Movie Moment. People complained about how in the 2012 Les Miserables, Sacha Baron Cohen playing Thenardier the crooked innkeeper would sometimes have an overdone French accent, and other times a cockney one and that it was inconsistent. You can see this in the beginning of his song Master of the House where he starts the song with the French accent and drops it at the end of the first verse.

That's the entire point! It's explicitly mentioned in the book that Thenardier likes to use a Parisian (or what he thinks is one) accent to sound sophisticated to people who don't know better. Every time he uses the French accent he's pulling a con (the benevolent master of the house, the loving surrogate father of Cosette, etc.).

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

Eh! Frank posted:

But by personifying Sadness as a cute blue blob (with her own feelings and personality), the movie tries to get you to root for her. So instead of the message being "Sadness sucks, but it's normal and it's ok to feel sad", it comes across as "Yay Sadness! Save the day, Sadness! You can fix anything, Sadness!"

My reading is that the message is more like, "Ignoring and marginalizing emotions is unhealthy and leads to breakdown, and a well-adjusted person will learn to cope with all aspects of their emotions." Interpreting that as an attempt on the movie's part to get the audience to root for sadness is actually too simple a reading, in my opinion.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Who What Now posted:

Are you honestly giving a literal children's movie primarily aimed at actual children poo poo for bringing the metaphor down to a child's level? Come on, dude.

You cut off half that statement:

quote:

while at the same time, trying to show some deep insight about emotions and how they interact (but since there's only the five, you are missing a poo poo-ton of the emotional spectrum).

Creating simple metaphors to help children understand a concept in a kid's movie is perfectly fine, but when doing it with something complex and varied as emotion, you run the risk of having the metaphor be either confusing, incorrect, or (as I see it in this case) easily misinterpreted. Personifying emotions with cute characters in a kid's movie is a fun idea, but trying to make some grand statement about any of those emotions is fruitless when you narrow it down to just five distinct emotions, ignoring a whole range of other ones (jealousy, confusion, confidence, pride, etc.) and ignoring a good chunk of how those emotions feed into each other (like how anger is often a cover for sadness, fear, etc.) Not to mention how emotions vary from person to person. Now that I think about it, the movie should have had more of the scenes with other people's emotions instead of just the one jokey scene and the bits over the end credits, so that they could show more of those ranges and interactions.

I'll admit my phrasing was horrible in the line you quoted, I didn't mean to sound like I was trashing kids movies for using simple metaphors to convey a point, just that in this case the metaphor is too simplified for the point they were trying to convey. It was a balancing act that I felt like they failed at.

KoB
May 1, 2009
You are hella projecting.

Sadness didnt save the day, Joy saved the day by accepting sadness.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

KoB posted:

Not only this, I thought the movie did a drat good job by showing that depression isn't the same as sadness at all.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
My biggest irritation with Inside Out is that for the majority of the movie it puts its cool premise of growing up through the lens of anthropomorphized versions of your emotion on hold so they can make yet another Pixar adventure about two unlikely companions going on a wacky adventure and learning a little about themselves before showing up at the last minute to save the day ^:razz:~

Every since Up half their movies have felt like ideas for rad short films that they stuffed into the same stock script tostretch out to feature length.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Did the theater give you free popcorn for hanging out as a backup in case the equipment up in the booth broke

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

AnonSpore posted:

loving loved that scene.

Loved that scene, also a big fan of John approaching the giant bouncer and telling him,"If you get in my way I'll kill you," and the bouncer going,"Welp, guess I'm finishing my shift early today!" and just walking away because Kevin Nash is not an idiot.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
A thing I consider about Inside Out is that Riley is at about the age when puberty begins. Her brain is about to undergo a radical chemical restructuring that causes behavioral issues in all teenagers/preteens until things settle down. I consider Inside Out not to be a "Heroes' journey" in the traditional sense but an abstraction of Riley's brain destroying all the old neural pathways to make room for the new ones in preparation for entering puberty in the next two years. Bear in mind that they get surprised when Sadness starts acting out and getting restless, even she didn't know what had got into her

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I just watched The Man from U.N.C.L.E and while I liked it a lot it does this weird thing once or twice where something will happen and then it will flash back like 5 seconds and show you why it happened. It doesn't really add anything to the scene , just weird little flashbacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

KoB posted:

Sadness sort of does save the day. They imply that sadness works as a sort of emotional alarm system. As long as Joy keeps forcing the happy, Riley isn't getting the proper support from her parents.