Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

redbackground posted:

Big, bold ideas!

That was last time. Ideas didn't work. I bet that pitch video was directed to avoid the words 'new' 'bold' 'direction' and 'idea'.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Feb 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Space_Butler posted:

Awful lot of grumbling on Twitter about the renumbering, yet I don't remember nearly the same amount for Marvels recent relaunch, which was such a quick turnaround that several books had to number their trade "volume 0". If a creative team is good, I simply can't understand "this book I read has people I like making it and it's a buck cheaper but UGH ANOTHER RENUMBERING, gonna pass on something that would bring me pleasure."

They bitched pretty hard when a bunch of books renumbered with Marvel Now! People were kind of over it by the time the All New All Different relaunch started. Marvel's current stance when referencing a specific run of a book is stating the year the book launched. For example " *Ms. Marvel #4 (2014)". Maybe someone with comixology can confirm that that's a good way to find the book being referenced.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Die Laughing posted:

They bitched pretty hard when a bunch of books renumbered with Marvel Now! People were kind of over it by the time the All New All Different relaunch started. Marvel's current stance when referencing a specific run of a book is stating the year the book launched. For example " *Ms. Marvel #4 (2014)". Maybe someone with comixology can confirm that that's a good way to find the book being referenced.

There's two "The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl #1 (2015). (And two "Howard the Duck #1 (2015)")

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Those are the two books that can get away with it. Howard got a new hat!

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
Also Spider-Gwen and Silk renumbered within a year. Angela kinda has that too, but the two series at least have different subtitles.

I think renumbering is just a much easier way to show everyone "Hey, new folks, check us out!" and as a returning reader from DCYou it doesn't really affect me to reset numbers. But Marvel should have made exceptions for these series that had like 8 issues out at most at the time.

Similarly, Cyborg is early enough that it doesn't need a renumber but if basically every other book is renumbering then it'd probably be best to just accept the couple unnecessary renumbers.

burnishedfume fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Feb 19, 2016

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

Honestly, the easiest way to do renumbering in my opinion is to just renumber when a series gets a new writer. Makes it a lot easier later on to track a run down later on than grabbing Batman #386-#415 or Spider-Man (2013-2014) + Spider-Man (2014) etc.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

ElNarez posted:

Pick your poison:

A) It's not a reboot, just a relaunch and renumbering
B) Yes, because DC are the only company that is relaunching their books, no other company is doing it, they're special in that way

Oh good, a completely pointless relaunch. At least Marvel had Secret Wars as an excuse. So it's just DC You again but this time with new numbers. Same poo poo, different day. It's going to take a major shake up at the very core of this company and basically fresh people being brought in to run poo poo to make anything they do not feel like it should have come out 10 years ago.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Secret Wars wasn't a particularly good excuse but Marvel renumber / rename poo poo a lot more often anyway.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

How was Secret Wars not a good excuse? Every book was either replaced with a Battleworld book or a Last Days tie in.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

I'm not very passionate about issue numbers, or I'd join in here. I hope for good comics, but would accept a lack of bad comics as a partial success.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Losing those high numbers on Action and Detective did bother me a lot. Glad to see them back even if it is kinda cheating.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.
DC's first relaunch in 5 years being launched alongside a 80 page for 3 dollar single issue primer? Bad.

Marvels 3rd relaunch in 4 years launched alongside an endlessly drawn out event? Good as hell.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Semper Fudge posted:

DC's first relaunch in 5 years being launched alongside a 80 page for 3 dollar single issue primer? Bad.

Marvels 3rd relaunch in 4 years launched alongside an endlessly drawn out event? Good as hell.

People will still be talking about Secret Wars long after some dippy Geoff Johns editorial band-aid one-shot.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Feb 19, 2016

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Marvel does what DCan't

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

I don't know what to think. I'm actively mourning the loss of DCYou titles, since the stuff DC launched around then to appeal to diverse audiences is basically most of my pull list: Prez, Omega Men, Doctor Fate, Midnighter, Black Canary. The list goes on--all books with tremendous potential, which I believe were wasted on poor marketing, If DC continues to double down on what they think is their core fanbase, i.e. people who keep buying tripe like the current run of the Flash, then they're going to be disappointed and they're going to continue to face the same critical challenges in attracting new readership.

On the other hand, if the creative teams are good then a return to the "core" lineup of DC doesn't necessarily mean a net loss in diversity. So ... we'll see, I guess. The $2.99 price point is also incredibly attractive, since I'm buying Batman, the Legend of WW, and Superman titles, and my wallet hurts.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I would like Doctor Fate if not for the dumb hoodie and making Anubis the villain, which is like, the laziest thing ever.

Travis343 posted:

Marvel does what DCan't
:boom:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

WickedHate posted:

Anubis the villain, which is like, the laziest thing ever.

I thought that Anubis has always been one of Dr. Fate's enemies?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

bobkatt013 posted:

I thought that Anubis has always been one of Dr. Fate's enemies?

Dr. Fate gets a hoodie but they can't change the Bad God's name to make it more appropriate?

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

WickedHate posted:

I would like Doctor Fate if not for the dumb hoodie and making Anubis the villain, which is like, the laziest thing ever.

There are better reasons not to like it, like its slow as hell pacing and tiny, tiny text, but I don't know if comics are a good medium for people who are sticklers for adherence to mythology given that Wolverine is dating Hercules in a Marvel universe somewhere

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I have been reading the Injustice : Gods Among Us comic. I haven't been a very big fan of DC stuff in the past but this has been really, really engaging and interesting. Almost makes me want to buy the game.

Parts like this one (Chess match) are extremely interesting to me.

khy fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Feb 19, 2016

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Swillkitsch posted:

There are better reasons not to like it, like its slow as hell pacing and tiny, tiny text, but I don't know if comics are a good medium for people who are sticklers for adherence to mythology given that Wolverine is dating Hercules in a Marvel universe somewhere

I only read the first couple of issues.

But my problem isn't being a stickler for adherence to mythology. It's just this particular violation is so cliche.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

khy posted:

I have been reading the Injustice : Gods Among Us comic. I haven't been a very big fan of DC stuff in the past but this has been really, really engaging and interesting. Almost makes me want to buy the game.

Keep in mind that the series has a very noticeable drop in quality once that Taylor is replaced by Buccelato. (from year 3 onwards)

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Injustice is a decent fighting game a la Mortal Kombat. I don't think there much of a multiplayer scene for it anymore, bit I still enjoy playing from time to time.

The comic really suffers when Taylor leaves. He came back for the Year 5 annual I think, and it is an amazing breath of fresh air for the series. His Plastic Man is the best.

Outside of that, it just feels really soulless without Taylor.

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes

khy posted:

You really should play through the Story Mode of the game once. It's very well done and a lot of fun.

Tom Taylor writes the best Harley Quinn.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Dragonshirt posted:

You really should play through the Story Mode of the game once. It's very well done and a lot of fun.

Tom Taylor writes the best Harley Quinn.
Yeah, all the Green Arrow/Black Canary/Harley stuff was on-point.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Keep in mind that the series has a very noticeable drop in quality once that Taylor is replaced by Buccelato. (from year 3 onwards)

That's incredibly disappointing, as I'm about to start on Year 3.

And I loved Harley in this. Harley buddying-up with Black Canary is fantastic, especially the muzzle gag.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

redbackground posted:

People will still be talking about Secret Wars long after some dippy Geoff Johns editorial band-aid one-shot.

The last time they did one it was pretty cool. And speaking of multiple Blue Beetles, they could copy the ending :)

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

khy posted:

It's on sale for $5 pretty often, and is a decent fighting game in its own right.

You can watch all the cutscenes on youtube too.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

khy posted:

That's incredibly disappointing, as I'm about to start on Year 3.

And I loved Harley in this. Harley buddying-up with Black Canary is fantastic, especially the muzzle gag.

Taylor still orchestrates a killer arc for Constantine in Year Three, it just has a comparative slog in the latter half. Has a great Annual, too!

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Space Fish posted:

Taylor still orchestrates a killer arc for Constantine in Year Three, it just has a comparative slog in the latter half. Has a great Annual, too!

I've seen some bits of it from later parts I liked, such as when Batman straight up kills Joker. Was that part of Taylor's run?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

khy posted:

I've seen some bits of it from later parts I liked, such as when Batman straight up kills Joker. Was that part of Taylor's run?

That was his final issue in fact.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.
Geoff Johns and James Tynion are citing huge plans for Batwoman in Rebirth. My guess? Probably the starring role in Detective Comics.

Also, Johns confirming that Steve Orlando has plenty of working coming up in Rebirth. Orlando slaughtered it on Midnighter, each and every month. After King, he's probably the most important talent DC is working with right now.

The way Johns is speaking to his role in Rebirth, he sounds almost like he's pretty much taken on the role executive editor. I wonder if they're ever going to make it official? I feel like Johns as Executive Editor can only be a good thing. He has a proven eye for talent, is affable and lacks ego, and has been cited a hundred times over as being a great guy and easy to work with. I wouldn't mind.

Semper Fudge fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Feb 20, 2016

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Semper Fudge posted:

Geoff Johns and James Tynion are citing huge plans for Batwoman in Rebirth. My guess? Probably the starring role in Detective Comics.

If the rumors about Snyder moving to Detective are also true that could be really good.

If Johns writes it instead well I guess it can't be worse than Andreyko's.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Semper Fudge posted:

The way Johns is speaking to his role in Rebirth, he sounds almost like he's pretty much taken on the role executive editor. I wonder if they're ever going to make it official? I feel like Johns as Executive Editor can only be a good thing. He has a proven eye for talent, is affable and lacks ego, and has been cited a hundred times over as being a great guy and easy to work with. I wouldn't mind.

He's already CCO; Executive Editor would be a demotion.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Travis343 posted:

If Johns writes it instead well I guess it can't be worse than Andreyko's.

It's much more likely Tynion would do it. Unless there's a secret third Eternal series to work on.

e: It'd be neat if Detective does double features again. Maybe the issues could alternate stories/writers since it's a twice-monther.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Feb 20, 2016

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Teenage Fansub posted:

It's much more likely Tynion would do it. Unless there's a secret third Eternal series to work on.

e: It'd be neat is Detective does double features again. Maybe the issues could alternate stories since it's a twice-monther.

Batman and Robin and Batgirl Eternal. Make it happen.

(I'd love another Eternal-style story but Jesus DC, make it biweekly :ohdear:)

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Actually it'd need to ramp up to twice-weekly.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Tynion could go either way. The Eternal series have been alright-to-good but I really have no idea how much of that is Snyder and how much is Tynion. I guess I like him on general principle because Dark_T-man hates him so much.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Teenage Fansub posted:

Actually it'd need to ramp up to twice-weekly.

Come to think of it, if it were a twice-daily book, you could have the whole book done in a little under a month. Wake up to two hot fresh Batmans every day :haw:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx
Jim Lee is confirmed for Suicide Squad

I was pretty underwhelmed yesterday with the announcement but now I'm starting to get excited. I want to see creative teams and what direction there taking the stories in and what the new Universe actually looks like (Is it still New 52, Post-Crisis, a hodgepodge of both, or something new).

• Locked thread