Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

TjyvTompa posted:

If you master a mech and then sell it and later re-buy it, will it still be mastered?

Yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Ended up not buying a Mad Dog. Picked up a TBR-D swapped out the streaks for SRM 6 and the 2 PPCs for 2 Large Pulse. I have to say playing Timberwolves is a whole new game. I honestly felt overpowered.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

DeliciousPatriotism posted:

I just went up to rank 3 and I'm unsure. My scores have either been my usual above average or just abysmal. The presence of rank 2 people is pretty obvious in terms of the expense going on with all the mech, some rounds I feel I get zapped with unusual speed. I got put away on polar highlands in my gauss dire with 99 damage output, which is insane to me because that's my best mech on my best map.

Ergh, all my friends are rank 4 and 5, been getting friends into this for weeks now. I don't wanna group up and have our team get destroyed/my friends hate it because now we're competing with a sperg world we never wanted to endure and will never be able to step away from.

Anyway in other news three pals and I all have been trying to perfect our Urban RL60 builds where we stab one target at a time with AC20s at close range until they fall over. It was initially done for hilarity (people either love us or hate us when we fill 1/3 of the team) but we've found that we can take down assaults stupid fast some times. We've had Atlases, Timber Wolves and Ebon Jaguars try to run away from us. When all four of us are in we usually get 3 kills spread between the four of us. Dire Wolves seem to be our natural prey, we cored one inside 7 seconds once.

Tier 3 isn't so bad. I've been there a good while, and it makes you a better pilot. You get more cautious about when to make your move, and much better situational awareness. I still get caught fighting while the team wanders away occasionally, but it is what it is. My lancemates are tiers 2 and 3 respectively, and they have similar experiences. The guy in tier 2 is going through what you are right now.

Just remember when group dropping; don't be a hero. If you think "Hey, I can flank them!" without an entire lance to do so, you're going to fail, die quickly, and deprive your team of needed firepower. This is something I have to remind myself constantly. That poo poo stopped working in tier 4.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Talmonis posted:

Tier 3 isn't so bad. I've been there a good while, and it makes you a better pilot. You get more cautious about when to make your move, and much better situational awareness. I still get caught fighting while the team wanders away occasionally, but it is what it is. My lancemates are tiers 2 and 3 respectively, and they have similar experiences. The guy in tier 2 is going through what you are right now.

Just remember when group dropping; don't be a hero. If you think "Hey, I can flank them!" without an entire lance to do so, you're going to fail, die quickly, and deprive your team of needed firepower. This is something I have to remind myself constantly. That poo poo stopped working in tier 4.

It also depends on your mech. In tier 4 you can flank equally effectively in a thunderbolt and a erll raven. However in tier 2 the raven gives you the maneuverability to maintain your flank and harass while the thunderbolt would be subject an encirclement.

The thing that changes is individual players become more team focused. I've found that lights rely less on team play than heavier mechs do, so solo tactics are effective in higher tiers when playing lighter mechs.

The caveat is that a solo light will still get owned by even uncoordinated groups if they try to brawl solo.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Part of the problem with tier 3 is that you're going to get blown out most games.
Either the matchmaker stacks your team or it stacks the other team, it's really terrible at balancing the teams
The trick to winning in T3 is using the in game comms and being yellboss. If you don't herd the cats, they'll just wander off and die 1 by 1 to the lrms.

The other trick, is not to solo drop.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
I never drop solo but sometimes goons just want to be special snowflakes and their bystander effect kicks in "oh I don't need to shoot the primary, 5 other people already are!".

Then I switch to a locust and eat the booty like groceries while goons complain about getting owned by lrms.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

Random Number posted:

I never drop solo but sometimes goons just want to be special snowflakes and their bystander effect kicks in "oh I don't need to shoot the primary, 5 other people already are!".

Then I switch to a locust and eat the booty like groceries while goons complain about getting owned by lrms.

I'm stealing this.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
Remember, you need a partner to eat the booty, never be first in though, you want to be able to get all up in the booty, not deal with removing the paltry dingleberries of butt armor first.

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

Random Number posted:

Remember, you need a partner to eat the booty, never be first in though, you want to be able to get all up in the booty, not deal with removing the paltry dingleberries of butt armor first.

And if you drop with that "phorashi" guy, shoot his butt a little to get him warmed up.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

armchairyoda posted:

And if you drop with that "phorashi" guy, shoot his butt a little to get him warmed up.

The 'mech g spot is in it's butt! I can't change that the mech was made this way.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

You may as well kill yourself if you play anything that requires pubbies to push in solo queue, god this is annoying.

I've never seen people so loving afraid to get hurt in a video game

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Drythe posted:

You may as well kill yourself if you play anything that requires pubbies to push in solo queue, god this is annoying.

Go play WoT. Exact same thing.

gently caress, same thing in most FPSs, except those players tend to be the ones who hunker on some piece of geometry at the back of the map doing nothing for 95% of the match because they're "sniping"

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
I love doing solo drops, some amazing stuff can happen. For example when your entire team of random players push at the same time and drive the enemies before them, hear the lamentations of their women et.c.
Last night me and some random dude touched cockpits and had an erotic time in the chat and then crushed the enemy team yeah im really high right now

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat

Drythe posted:

They really are pathetic on the whole. I almost always find myself leading the charge (whether the pubbies follow or not) regardless of what mech i'm piloting. Even if we lose I at least did some damage and it's over that much quicker.

Even in WW2OL, a game where you can be generally be instakilled by anything at any time from any direction, the campiest player is 10 times more aggressive than these shitters

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
Maybe if they added a quick play mode with respawns?

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

veedubfreak posted:

Part of the problem with tier 3 is that you're going to get blown out most games.
Either the matchmaker stacks your team or it stacks the other team, it's really terrible at balancing the teams
The trick to winning in T3 is using the in game comms and being yellboss. If you don't herd the cats, they'll just wander off and die 1 by 1 to the lrms.

The other trick, is not to solo drop.

Tonnage matters more than anything else I've found. If you play a 3 or 4 man and drop in assaults you are going to have 5+ assaults on your team every match and steamroll 90% of your games.

Washout fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Feb 19, 2016

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
There's a reason for more aggressive gameplay in games like WW2, CoD, CS:GO etc. One shot kills are possible, more damage out can bring someone down fast. You run fast, you gun fast, you respawn, rinse and repeat. Game like MWO, WoT, and AW are round based damage mitigation versus damage output. Take too much damage, you may cripple your damage output by component loss. People get scared to have their arms ripped off, so they play it too cautiously.

You can see the difference in gameplay by weight class as well. I've noticed the fatter the mech, the less risk taking you see. Which unfortunately is not how you play assaults.

e: what Farecoal said would be optimal.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

Washout posted:

Tonnage matters more than anything else I've found. If you play a 3 or 4 man and drop in assaults you are going to have 5+ assaults on your team every match and steamroll 90% of your games.

I'd like it if the game let us choose group weight class for this reason. My friend and I usually only bring 90-125 tons of robot as a pair, it'd be great if we could designate a lower tonnage limit to allow a larger group of other players in assaults on the team, instead of feeling like the unused tonnage is wasted.

Then again we've done plenty well with a gauss Jager and pulse Spider combo.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

lmao Helios Major TwerknMech Kerensky got name changed

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Because it's been a bit:

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Someone give me names to suggest

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Bentai posted:

Because it's been a bit:

Bears repeating.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Drythe posted:

Crytek Major TwerknMech Kerensky

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Drythe posted:

PzKpfW III ausf Kerensky

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

Great Beer posted:

PzKpfW III ausf Kerensky

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Drythe posted:

Grecan Sol TwerknMech Kerensky

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

lol get hosed the rest of you

quote:

Apologies for the issue here. After the escalation of this ticket your original name has been deemed as not constituting a violation of the CoC. While making direct references to cheat tools would be a violation, the original name does not make such a direct reference; one of your proposed alternatives, Helios Ban Wave Kerensky, would however be considered a violation (for future reference).

Your Pilot Name has been reverted back to Helios Major TwerknMech Kerensky.

The Code of Conduct has also been updated to reflect the recent addition of the end-user Name Change system.

Alexander Garden
Customer Support Lead
Piranha Games

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Congrats, you forced a rule change. Goon victory.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Drythe posted:

Helios Skeet Skeet Kerensky did not die in vain.

How much do you guys want to bet that everyone with Helios in their name will get banned from the game for cheating.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Drythe posted:

Great Beer posted:

Congrats, you forced a rule change. Goon victory.

:golfclap:

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
So if I wanted to go with a lasercrow, should I just go with a 5x MPL? Right now I'm running an LPL, 2 MLas, 4 SPLas. It seems to do okay, but I figure there would be a better config.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

Stringbean posted:

So if I wanted to go with a lasercrow, should I just go with a 5x MPL? Right now I'm running an LPL, 2 MLas, 4 SPLas. It seems to do okay, but I figure there would be a better config.

I really like MPLs, but they're probably not ideal.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Donald Trumpensky

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Make the Inner Sphere great again.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Stringbean posted:

This is the one I find most versatile. The LPL's can hill hump and the spls can work over most lights or help keep cool while brawling.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

EoRaptor posted:

This is the one I find most versatile. The LPL's can hill hump and the spls can work over most lights or help keep cool while brawling.

This kind of build is superior to the ERML version I think, now that gauss is nerfed and hardly anyone uses ERLL there is enough brawling happening that you will be using those SPL every match. They puke out so much more damage than anyone is expecting from a clan mech in a brawling situation.

Codekeeper
Feb 10, 2013

Innocence proves nothing.
So apparently the best thing to do on polar-alpine-shitlands is to suicide pact with your drop buddies. Makes the map so much shorter.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
I keep hearing good things about the Enforcer-4R? 20% total LL range, 15% duration, 10% energy heat. maybe a god-hand build?

ENF-4R

max standard engine, not bad

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
I just checked, and I'm still SpaceRobot Champ Helios Kerensky. I'm not good enough at this game to make people want to rage at me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

EoRaptor posted:

This is some good poo poo. Thanks!

• Locked thread