Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I agree with the guy who says if you can't afford to live in Vancouver you shouldn't live in Vancouver. People are just whining because they really, really want to live in Vancouver, like it's some kind of unquestioned right.

I think it's stupid that the government doesn't want to do anything about housing affordability, since it will be a net negative to the city and province when people can't afford to live in Vancouver, but that doesn't mean that they are obligated to do so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
Who, in your mind, can afford to live in Vancouver, and what does affordability mean here?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

JawKnee posted:

Who, in your mind, can afford to live in Vancouver, and what does affordability mean here?

Are either of those questions even slightly relevant?

I don't care if anyone can or cannot afford to live in Vancouver, because I don't think living in Vancouver (or any other specific place) is your unquestioned right. In my mind, you have a right to safe and secure housing; that doesn't mean it has to be exactly where you want it to be. People have a right to not go hungry, too, but that doesn't mean we have to make sure everyone can afford ribeye steaks either.

Ultimately, a city where housing is unaffordable is going to turn into an unliveable shithole even for those who can afford it, mind you, so the city and province should absolutely address housing affordability out of their own self interest.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

JawKnee posted:

you could start by graduating university with a degree in something that isn't completely worthless and working for a few years.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Their self interest unfortunately is to keep housing prices high so that baby boomers can enjoy a cushy retirement.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

ZShakespeare posted:

you could start by graduating university with a degree in something that isn't completely worthless and working for a few years.

And what, pray tell, might that be? Should we continue funneling everyone into STEM until even that bastion has been driven to starvation wages from talent saturation? :allears:

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
not philosophy that's for sure.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

THC posted:

Their self interest unfortunately is to keep housing prices high so that baby boomers can enjoy a cushy retirement.

How are they going to enjoy their cushy retirement when affordability issues drive out everyone who isn't already rich as gently caress? Who's going to make their coffees, cook their meals and clean their condos?

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

ZShakespeare posted:

this doesn't begin to answer the question but it does confirm you're a dickhead so there's that I suppose

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Rime posted:

And what, pray tell, might that be? Should we continue funneling everyone into STEM until even that bastion has been driven to starvation wages from talent saturation? :allears:

I'm all for this, as STEM people have a greater chance of creating things that will hasten creative destruction and bring about the end of capitalism. Also STEM people are interesting to talk to.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Rime posted:

Shut your face, the future is in Sociology, Theology, English and Music.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Whatever, even with a 100k CAD STEM job you still aren't ever going to be able to afford a detached house in Vancouver without some sort of massive collapse of property values. Maybe you can pay off a 3 bedroom townhouse in the distant suburbs over 15 years but that's hardly something to be smug about.

Vancouver is fundamentally broken, and the city, province, and country have sold out basically everyone who grew up there in the past 30-40 years or so, and at a seemingly-accelerating rate. It may be a minority opinion in this thread, but I love Vancouver. I got a great education, almost completely on the Canadian taxpayer, and I'm tremendously grateful for the opportunities that has afforded me. But as long as my earning potential in the US is 3x what it is in Vancouver and detached houses on the west side cost 3M, I'm not coming back. And it's not just people in tech, it's other people my age in law, management consulting, academia, medicine, etc. As I mentioned in a previous post, almost all of the smartest people I knew from high school, undegrad, and grad school are no longer living in Canada -- and if they are, they've moved to Toronto. The costs of this are going to be very substantial over the next couple of decades.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

The problem with the "if you can't afford it then move" logic is that it assumes 1) people have total flexibility in movement and 2) the equivalent employment opportunities exist everywhere.

For example Hope is not going to develop a thriving advertising company ecosystem any time soon. If you work in advertising and are in BC you are going to be in Vancouver. I understand the notion that no one is entitled to live in Vancouver, but that doesn't work with the reality that entire industries that we supposedly want to encourage the development of, and educate people in, are based in Vancouver. Recall this isn't a City of Vancouver issue. The entire region is extraordinarily expensive.

The situation in Vancouver is such that a person can have an excellent, in demand resume and be at a company with great employees that creates great products and they'll still be in a weak economic position compared to if they lived almost anywhere else. It gets worse if they're starting a family. In absolute terms many professionals can afford to live in Vancouver (but not buy a house) but in comparison to other areas it really doesn't make much sense to base a career or life there. It would be a troubling long term trend for the region if people start to give up on the city and drift away to other places. It will become harder and harder to sustain industries with a lack of talent.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

ZShakespeare posted:

i make $160k a year and i rent because what i can afford in vancouver is basically unliveable. thanks for your input

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Speaking of Vancouver:

"While the budget delivered Tuesday by Finance Minister Mike de Jong did not lay out a plan to cap or limit existing tax credits, it did note that with a weak Canadian dollar there is fiscal pressure on the provincial coffers. This year, the province expects about $500 million in film and television tax credits. In previous years, the subsidy cost the government between $150 and $350 million. -
See more at: http://www.timescolonist.com/business/film-credit-tinkering-worry-for-local-sector-1.2176788#sthash.VglfryWc.dpuf"

$500 million. The BC government is spending half a billion dollars subsidizing the American entertainment industry. But the local industry still complains that they're "fledgling". Ha.

They don't even pretend they're shooting in BC for locations anymore. It's only to do with what gives them the most free money.

Myriarch
May 14, 2013
The sentiment is correct though - Vancouver is undergoing further deindustrialisation and decommercalization. B.C. needs the companies in the Vancouver city center to move out and set up shop elsewhere in the province to diversify the rest of the province and provide more land for Vancouver to sell to the Chinese.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Ccs posted:

Speaking of Vancouver:

"While the budget delivered Tuesday by Finance Minister Mike de Jong did not lay out a plan to cap or limit existing tax credits, it did note that with a weak Canadian dollar there is fiscal pressure on the provincial coffers. This year, the province expects about $500 million in film and television tax credits. In previous years, the subsidy cost the government between $150 and $350 million. -
See more at: http://www.timescolonist.com/business/film-credit-tinkering-worry-for-local-sector-1.2176788#sthash.VglfryWc.dpuf"

$500 million. The BC government is spending half a billion dollars subsidizing the American entertainment industry. But the local industry still complains that they're "fledgling". Ha.

They don't even pretend they're shooting in BC for locations anymore. It's only to do with what gives them the most free money.

This is pretty much the main reason why lots of SyFy channel shows do production in Canada.

ductonius
Apr 9, 2007
I heard there's a cream for that...

Myriarch posted:

The sentiment is correct though - Vancouver is undergoing further deindustrialisation and decommercalization. B.C. needs the companies in the Vancouver city center to move out and set up shop elsewhere in the province to diversify the rest of the province and provide more land for Vancouver to sell to the Chinese.

I know you're being sarcastic, but good luck moving the Port of Vancouver, Deltaport and all the cargo cranes on the Fraser somewhere else. Do you know how much industry and what kind of workforce you need just to support a port? That *can't* move because the ships can't sail inland and they're going to run into a situation where the longshoremen won't service the port because none are willing to drive 2+hrs each way from the burbs just to get to work. The longshoremen *will* gently caress their poo poo up.

Pixelboy
Sep 13, 2005

Now, I know what you're thinking...

Femtosecond posted:

The situation in Vancouver is such that a person can have an excellent, in demand resume and be at a company with great employees that creates great products and they'll still be in a weak economic position compared to if they lived almost anywhere else. It gets worse if they're starting a family. In absolute terms many professionals can afford to live in Vancouver (but not buy a house) but in comparison to other areas it really doesn't make much sense to base a career or life there. It would be a troubling long term trend for the region if people start to give up on the city and drift away to other places. It will become harder and harder to sustain industries with a lack of talent.

I hear Toronto is very nice.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

PT6A posted:

How are they going to enjoy their cushy retirement when affordability issues drive out everyone who isn't already rich as gently caress? Who's going to make their coffees, cook their meals and clean their condos?
Guest workers can do that poo poo, obviously. And robots.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
lol look at this scrub who think Seattle and la aren't bigger more important ports

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
With news that four of the downtown Bentall towers have been sold to a Chinese investment firm.

Does anyone have the over-under on whether the new buyer is going to be surprised in two months when they cannot get approval from the city to tear them down for condos?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
It was bought by a state owned insurance company. It's probably the most legit re transaction conducted by mainlanders in the last 5 years.

ductonius
Apr 9, 2007
I heard there's a cream for that...

Cultural Imperial posted:

lol look at this scrub who think Seattle and la aren't bigger more important ports

Not to Canada they aren't.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

At the moment the BCLiberal government is bragging about how great and diverse the BC economy is, meanwhile telling everyone who can't afford Vancouver to leave. How diverse is the economy going to be when the only industry left is selling super cars?

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

An entire city of speculative real estate owned by all different kinds of people, from rich Chinese to rich Europeans to rich Americans and beyond. There's lots of diversity.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Yesterday I read a story about puppy mills, and how to avoid them, and one of the things was don't buy dogs from people who want to meet you some random place. Today I'm 99% sure I saw exactly that go down. A man sold a labrador puppy to two women out the back of his minivan just on the side of Homer street. There were like 3 other crated labs in the minivan.

So there's that I guess. And high-end retail. And healthcare.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

etalian posted:

This is pretty much the main reason why lots of SyFy channel shows do production in Canada.

It pisses me off that if you go hiking in the Capilano watershed or climb the east lion you get jail time, but they let a loving production company build a clear-cut set in there and piss in the reservoir. :argh:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Femtosecond posted:

The problem with the "if you can't afford it then move" logic is that it assumes 1) people have total flexibility in movement and 2) the equivalent employment opportunities exist everywhere.

For example Hope is not going to develop a thriving advertising company ecosystem any time soon. If you work in advertising and are in BC you are going to be in Vancouver. I understand the notion that no one is entitled to live in Vancouver, but that doesn't work with the reality that entire industries that we supposedly want to encourage the development of, and educate people in, are based in Vancouver. Recall this isn't a City of Vancouver issue. The entire region is extraordinarily expensive.

Well, that's my point. The people should stop whining, because they can move. The city should be on this issue like stink on an ape's rear end, because they can't move. They will kill the industries that help Vancouver survive, if they can't get housing prices under control. Eventually, you'll run out of retards willing to put up with that economic predicament.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/british-columbia/bc-cities-must-cut-red-tape-for-affordable-housing-funds-minister/article28809676/

quote:

B.C. cities must cut red tape for affordable-housing funds: minister

B.C. communities that want to dip into the province’s new affordable-housing fund will have to show they can get construction for such projects approved quickly, says the minister responsible for the file.

Rich Coleman says cities must cut the red tape that he argues is bogging down development if they want some of the $355-million his government has dedicated to building and renovating at least 2,000 affordable housing units over the next five years. Finance Minister Mike de Jong also complained about red tape during this week’s budget launch.

“The biggest piece of this is: How fast can you get it zoned and ready to build?” Mr. Coleman said in an interview. “If your zoning process is three years, then I’m not worrying about matching you in 2016 … because I won’t have a project to build.”

A report published by the Fraser Institute last July found it can take Metro Vancouver municipalities anywhere from an average of five months, in Pitt Meadows, to 18 months, in West Vancouver, to approve housing projects.

Vancouver’s average was reported as 15 months. The B.C. government has also said surging real estate prices in the Lower Mainland are due in part to municipalities charging developers “hidden costs,” such as public-art contributions, rezoning and demolition fees.

Vancouver Mayor Gregor Robertson said construction could begin soon on some of the 20 sites, mostly vacant lots, that the city has designated for new affordable housing projects. In recent months, rental vacancy rates in Vancouver have hovered around zero.

“We can get shovels in the ground this year and start construction on 500 units right away,” Mr. Robertson said in an e-mailed statement.

“Vancouver and BC Housing partnered effectively on several affordable housing projects in recent years and our staff teams know how to work closely together.”

Earlier this month, the city presented those sites as a $250-million offer to Ottawa, if the federal government could pitch in $500-million in funding for affordable housing.

Mr. Robertson said federal cabinet ministers gave that offer “a very positive response” when he met with them two weeks ago.

“Given the Prime Minister’s election commitment to invest in cities and address affordable housing challenges in urban areas, we are making a strong case to the government that if they want to create jobs and build new homes right away, there’s no better place to start than in Vancouver,” his statement said.

Mr. Coleman was optimistic that B.C.’s $355-million investment – $50 million of which will be doled out this fiscal year – could be leveraged up to $1-billion “in a hurry,” and he predicted that the number of new units built by the province will triple as other partners come to the table.

“Because I’ve already heard from some communities that want to give us some land, which is fine,” he said.

Tony Roy, chief executive officer of the B.C. Non-Profit Housing Association, said he was pleased the province has earmarked some of this new funding for renovating the existing affordable housing stock. But he doubts the province will start any new projects until the infrastructure program is announced in the upcoming federal budget, which he expects will have a “massive piece” dedicated to renovating existing affordable housing units. Mr. Roy’s organization has assessed the 1,800 buildings providing 60,000 units of such housing across B.C. and found that a minimum investment of $190-million is needed “to keep the current stock viable and livable.”

“The [provincial] budget for the past few years is something like $7-million a year for renos on all the stock,” he said. “As anyone that’s ever been on any strata knows, when it comes to doing a large building, $7-million can disappear in one project. “And we’re trying to maintain 1,800 buildings on that budget – it’s clearly not enough.”

About 5,000 new affordable-housing units would have to be built each year to meet projected demand across the province, with 3,000 needed in Metro Vancouver, Mr. Roy said. Just under a third of B.C. residents and roughly half of Vancouverites are renters, he said.

Mr. Roy said the ongoing rental crisis in Metro Vancouver is being exacerbated as federal government subsidies for co-op housing start to expire, meaning rents are going up and 4,000 low-income tenants across the province could be squeezed out. Housing B.C.’s most vulnerable saves policing, health-care and legal costs, he said. “It’s one of the single-most valuable investments government can make.”

Housing in BC is unaffordable because of RED TAPE.
- Head BC Liberal Party Fundraiser Bob Rennie

:bahgawd:

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
They have earmarked 7 million dollars for maintenence of 1800 buildings, not to be out done by TCHC they wish to challenge the most expensive backlog crown

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

PT6A posted:

Well, that's my point. The people should stop whining, because they can move. The city should be on this issue like stink on an ape's rear end, because they can't move. They will kill the industries that help Vancouver survive, if they can't get housing prices under control. Eventually, you'll run out of retards willing to put up with that economic predicament.

Yeah but again not all economic opportunities exist everywhere and movement flexibility is overstated. There are niche industries that are strong in limited areas. Take apparel for example. Vancouver is actually a pretty great town for it and "Move to Toronto/Montreal" is not necessarily as great of a solution here. Locals are probably applying to Nike and hoping they win the immigration lottery. You can see how people could be stuck in Vancouver longer than they'd like.

My point is that I think it's reasonable for both employer and employee to be pissed off at the situation because moving is incredibly disruptive. For employers this issue could be an existential threat.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Rime posted:

It pisses me off that if you go hiking in the Capilano watershed or climb the east lion you get jail time, but they let a loving production company build a clear-cut set in there and piss in the reservoir. :argh:

Nobody has ever been put in jail for climbing the east lion. And probably not even for just hiking in the watershed in general. The designation just means don't be a dick with the land and water there.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

The Butcher posted:

Nobody has ever been put in jail for climbing the east lion. And probably not even for just hiking in the watershed in general. The designation just means don't be a dick with the land and water there.

It's a felony with a $40,000 fine attached unless you're on a guided tour, and they do low altitude flybys of the valley regularly. People have been arrested hiking in the Coquitlam watershed, it's very much illegal.

Rime fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Feb 19, 2016

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Read between the lines here:

- This is the same Rich Coleman who stated "The government should not be I'm the business of providing housing" and sold off the entirety of the provinces low income unit stock to private investors.

- Now he is complaining that the province has $500 million to invest in affordable housing but can't because of z owning constricting new construction.

Tl;Dr: Rich Coleman has the balls to publicly bitch that he can't funnel half a billion taxpayer dollars into developer pockets.

But it's the NDP that are the problem, M I RIGHT GUYZ?!?

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Rime posted:

It's a felony with a $40,000 fine attached unless you're on a guided tour, and they do low altitude flybys of the valley regularly. People have been arrested hiking in the Coquitlam watershed, it's very much illegal.

I dunno about Coquitlam, but nobody really gives a gently caress if you want to hop over to the east lion. Big pile of rocks on top and published climbing map I have in a book here says otherwise. It's not a casual climb though.

And who is "they" doing flybys. Comon. poo poo costs too much. Could see getting people parking at obvious trailheads though.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

Rime posted:

What is a felony, are you some sort of yank?

peter banana
Sep 2, 2008

Feminism is a socialist, anti-family, political movement that encourages women to leave their husbands, kill their children, practice witchcraft, destroy capitalism and become lesbians.

THC posted:

Yesterday I read a story about puppy mills, and how to avoid them, and one of the things was don't buy dogs from people who want to meet you some random place. Today I'm 99% sure I saw exactly that go down. A man sold a labrador puppy to two women out the back of his minivan just on the side of Homer street. There were like 3 other crated labs in the minivan.

So there's that I guess. And high-end retail. And healthcare.

If you don't adopt a dog from a shelter, I unironically think you are garbage.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

peter banana posted:

If you don't adopt a dog from a shelter, I unironically think you are garbage.

Don't own a dog, you win from both angles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
Every good man needs or is improved by a good dog